Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Nov 1, 18, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
I'll guess you will be flying nonstop between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. Aircraft might be an A350 on Air Mauritius and an B787 on Uzbekistan Airways.
You've got the correct route. Unfortunately, as much as I wish you were correct, you don't have the correct aircraft for either airline. Think older....

On a positive note, I do get to enjoy JAL's 787-9 between NRT & KUL.
Old Nov 1, 18, 8:32 am

Programs: UA Silver (working on Gold), Hilton Dia, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz 5*
34. This airline claimed it was operating direct one stop service twice a week to London from Las Vegas with a single flight number being used. However, there was a change of equipment en route. Identify the air carrier, the airport where the equipment change occurred, the London area airport served and both aircraft types. And please be very specific concerning the aircraft models. The airline in question wasn't Continental or TWA and the equipment wasn't a 727 or 72S on the domestic leg or a 767 or 763 on the international leg. The equipment change was not made at STL.
I don't know the answer but I'm going to guess Delta via Atlanta to Gatwick, 757-200 and L-1011-500.
Old Nov 1, 18, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Silver (working on Gold), Hilton Dia, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
9A: Sacramento to Phoenix ... who wants to take the only nonstop when it's a Hughes Airwest DC-9? Not you. Lots of turboprops ply the California skies, along with a few stray piston-powered Cessnas. If you start with a short jet hop at 0650PST, you can then take four different turboprops and a Cessna, and end up in PHX at 2015MST. Identify, in sequence of course, the six segments, airlines, and aircraft types. (There are doubtless several permutations of this journey, but the one in question has no significant north-south backtracking (it does, however, go to the CA coast before heading south and then east) and covers approximately 835 miles. It is also a weekday-only proposition.)
HINTS, with some additions:
(1)
the third airline (i.e., the second turboprop aircraft) and connecting point -- which is the westernmost point on the route -- have been discussed recently (this is the longest leg of the journey); not all the aircraft have the same number of engines
(2) the first two stops are in the Bay Area
(3) the third stop is the westernmost point on the route
(4) the fifth stop is the southernmost point on the route
Looking at an old OAG, I think the first hop has to be PSA SMF-SFO on a 727-200, but that would make SFO the westernmost point on the route unless you go significantly north... are you sure that all of the hints are correct?
Old Nov 1, 18, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by joejones View Post
Looking at an old OAG, I think the first hop has to be PSA SMF-SFO on a 727-200, but that would make SFO the westernmost point on the route unless you go significantly north... are you sure that all of the hints are correct?
arrrrrrgh

PS is CORRECT
SFO is CORRECT
72S is CORRECT

and please disregard the geographical references to Stop #3
Old Nov 1, 18, 9:41 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
You've got the correct route. Unfortunately, as much as I wish you were correct, you don't have the correct aircraft for either airline. Think older....

On a positive note, I do get to enjoy JAL's 787-9 between NRT & KUL.
Well then....let's try an A330 for Air Mauritius and a B767-300 for Uzbekistan Airways.
Old Nov 1, 18, 9:56 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
I don't know the answer but I'm going to guess Delta via Atlanta to Gatwick, 757-200 and L-1011-500.
34. Ah, it was not Delta and the equipment on the domestic leg wasn't a B757-200 nor was the equipment on the international leg an L-1011-500 (or any other L10 model).

So here's a rather large hint: the London airport served was Heathrow.

And BTW, tomorrow and Saturday should see several "air travel firsts" for yours truly: first time on board an Airbus A330 (DL from ATL to AMS), first time up front in the "Delta One" cabin on a transatlantic flight and first time on board an Embraer 190 (KL in biz class from AMS to BOD on Saturday). This will also be our first visit to Bordeaux (and we hope the weather will cooperate). Plus, we will make our first visit to the Delta Museum located at ATL tomorrow afternoon prior to our flight in "Delta One" and will also hopefully get to visit with an old friend who is now in senior management with DL at their corporate headquarters in Atlanta.
Old Nov 1, 18, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post

arrrrrrgh

PS is CORRECT
SFO is CORRECT
72S is CORRECT

and please disregard the geographical references to Stop #3
OK, I think I've got three of the legs figured out:

(1) PSA SMF-SFO, 727-200
(5) Cochise LAX-IPL Metroliner
(6) Imperial IPL-PHX Cessna 402/404

So far so good?
Old Nov 1, 18, 10:07 am

Good Morning All!

34. This airline claimed it was operating direct one stop service twice a week to London from Las Vegas with a single flight number being used. However, there was a change of equipment en route. Identify the air carrier, the airport where the equipment change occurred, the London area airport served and both aircraft types. And please be very specific concerning the aircraft models. The airline in question wasn't Continental, TWA, Delta or American and the equipment wasn't a 727, 72S, 757 or MD-80 on the domestic leg or a 767, 763, L15, L10 or DC-10 on the international leg. The equipment change was not made at STL, ATL or ORD. The airport served in London was Heathrow.
Last call for this one! And should there be no takers (but I think there will be), I'll provide the answer this evening.

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 1, 18 at 11:18 am
Old Nov 1, 18, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by teddybear99 View Post
I hope you took a picture and will post it to the thread of post pictures of your pet in OMNI.
Unfortunately, no Halloween photos of our lovely little pup Miss Bella. My primary job was to answer the front door, hand out the candy and also keep Miss Bella from frightening the little kids too much (she is a very inquisitive little girl). Couldn't handle a camera at the same time......

And we did have quite a few "trick or treaters" early last evening before the storms hit. Our NWS did issue a Tornado Watch for most of Louisiana and we experienced one heck of a storm with lots of lightning, thunder, high winds and torrential rain after midnight as a squall line associated with a strong cold front rolled over us. Fortunately, no flooding or tornadoes in our immediate area although other portions of the state weren't so lucky. We do have some tree limbs down in the yard and I will be deploying the chain saw shortly (more firewood!).
Old Nov 1, 18, 10:27 am

Heathrow in 93 means either AA or UA, and I think the only UA flights that could logically connect to Vegas would have been on 767s, so it sounds like an AA flight on an MD-80 connecting to a DC-10. At ORD?
Old Nov 1, 18, 11:17 am

Heathrow in 93 means either AA or UA, and I think the only UA flights that could logically connect to Vegas would have been on 767s, so it sounds like an AA flight on an MD-80 connecting to a DC-10. At ORD?
34. Well, you are most certainly on final approach here.....however, it wasn't American, the domestic leg wasn't operated with a MD-80, the international leg wasn't operated with a DC-10 and the equipment change did not take place at Chicago O'Hare.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Nov 1, 18, 11:32 am

Argh! Running out of options here... by process of elimination it seems like it has to be:

Airline: United
Connecting point: either LAX or SFO
Long-haul equipment: 747; -SP if it's LAX, 747-200 if it's SFO
Short-haul equipment: 737-300

Now advertising either of those as a direct service, when you are actually backtracking quite a bit, seems sketchy as all...
Old Nov 1, 18, 12:07 pm

Argh! Running out of options here... by process of elimination it seems like it has to be:

Airline: United
Connecting point: either LAX or SFO
Long-haul equipment: 747; -SP if it's LAX, 747-200 if it's SFO
Short-haul equipment: 737-300

Now advertising either of those as a direct service, when you are actually backtracking quite a bit, seems sketchy as all...
34. It was indeed United and the equipment operated on the originating flight from Las Vegas (LAS) was a B737-300.

Now all you have to do is give us your final answer concerning the airport where the equipment change took place as well as the specific equipment operated on the international flight in question to London Heathrow (LHR).....

And please note this schedule was listed in the OAG as the only "direct" service from LAS to LHR at the time.
Old Nov 1, 18, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Well then....let's try an A330 for Air Mauritius and a B767-300 for Uzbekistan Airways.
Yah, Mon (That's me raising a Red Stripe to your correct answer.) ^
Old Nov 1, 18, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA
Unfortunately, no Halloween photos of our lovely little pup Miss Bella ...
Here's my attempt at a pumpkin lamp for Little Miss WHBM to terrorise the neighbours.
jlemon and wrp96 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: