Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Speaking of geography, donde estan usted y la Señorita767, Señor? And how was LATAM's Business Class? Are they still serving Business Class main courses in Economy Class style dishes? Last time I flew with them (I've logged about a dozen Business Class flights with LAN to and around the Conosur region since 2005) they still didn't offer preflight cocktails (unless you requested one) and ice was often hard to come by. Hopefully things have improved considerably. Have a great trip and thanks for participating from so far away ^

we are joining up with the tour group in Quito this morning and we fly to the Galapagos tomorrow

LA J was decidedly ordinary ... but a lot on us for eating in the OneWorld lounge at LAX during our 2+35 layover (AS had mis-catered the SEA-LAX flight and we had to settle for sharing a fruit and cheese platter)

as you mentioned, there was no PDB service; the menu looked promising (forgot to take a pic ), but we had a glass of sparkling wine after takeoff, put the seats flat, and woke up to the clinking of FAs clearing the breakfast service about 10 min before descent into LIM
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
OK. DC8, 1983, "never heard of ...".

Now it must have been late 1983 that we (me plus a few business colleagues) encountered, late one evening in the bar of the Strand Palace Hotel in London, a group of brash ladies, flight attendants still in uniform, who were laying over in London having arrived (I discovered quite quickly) on a DC8, at Gatwick, operating for a US airline I hadn't encountered before. Now the Strand Palace, large 1930s place round the back of Covent Garden,not quite as elegant as it sounds (since closed), was an unusual choice for airlines operating through Gatwick, so airline crewing likely had little idea of London, likewise it seemed first time there for the crew. I certainly remember a significant round of drinks or two for them would have gone through on our sales manager's expenses the next week. Hmmm ......

Oh, the airline ? Arista. So could they have had a shot at JFK-LAX at the same time ? https://www.airliners.net/photo/Aris...C-8-62CF/35248
15. Arista? Never heard of them! Seriously.....and we continue to look for another scheduled passenger air carrier which was a new start up based in Los Angeles. Here's another hint: I have now seen photos of the DC8 aircraft operated by the airline in question.....and they include the DC-8-61, DC-8-62 and DC-8-63.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by jlemon
15. Arista? Never heard of them! Seriously.....and we continue to look for another scheduled passenger air carrier which was a new start up based in Los Angeles. Here's another hint: I have now seen photos of the DC8 aircraft operated by the airline in question.....and they include the DC-8-61, DC-8-62 and DC-8-63.
Well, Pacific East started up around this time but I wasn't sure they served JFK by the end of 83. Let's go with them...
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by rosensfole
Well, Pacific East started up around this time but I wasn't sure they served JFK by the end of 83. Let's go with them...
15. Correct! Here's the Pacific East Air round trip schedule effective December 14, 1983 between Los Angeles and New York City......

6P 2: Los Angeles (LAX) 9:00a - 5:20p New York Kennedy (JFK)
Freq: Daily
Equip: DC-8 (timetable does not specify whether aircraft was a DC-8-61, -62 or -63)
Note: Flt. 6P 2 to be operated on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays only effective Jan. 6, 1984

6P 1: New York Kennedy (JFK) 7:15p - 10:30p Los Angeles (LAX)
Freq: Daily
Equip: DC-8 (timetable does not specify whether aircraft was a DC-8-61, -62 or -63)
Note: Flt. 6P 1 to be operated on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays only effective Jan. 6, 1984

Like MGM Grand Air, I believe Pacific East Air used the West Imperial Terminal located on the south side of the airfield at LAX (near the current western terminus of the Interstate 105 freeway).

Pacific East Air was also operating LAX-HNL, LAX-OGG and SFO-HNL flights at this time with 6P flt. 71 / 11 flying a routing of LAX-OGG-HNL-LAX on Wednesdays and Sundays only.

And if one wanted to fly on Pacific East Air between JFK and HNL or OGG at this time, an overnight stay was required in Los Angeles in both directions.

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 18, 2018 at 11:25 am Reason: additional info
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: BA
Arista? Never heard of them! Seriously.....
Looks like someone mentioned a DC8 operator we had never heard of here on FT 11 years ago ...

The Strand Palace
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like someone mentioned a DC8 operator we had never heard of here on FT 11 years ago ...

The Strand Palace
Wow! You made this post about three years before my very first post here on FlyerTalk! How time flies.....

Travel Update: Some of you may know that Lady K and yours truly always attempt to do something special for our birthdays....which just happen to fall on the same day in April. Well, 2019 will continue this trend as we will be on the island of Saba in the Caribbean for our joint birthday celebration. I mentioned recently that we have sailed by Saba several times in the past in sailboats (54 foot catamarans) but have never set foot on the island. I've also always wanted to land and take off at Saba via its very short runway on board a Twin Otter. We will now get to experience this in April of next year as we have been able to use our AAdvantage miles for reward travel into and out of St. Maarten (SXM). And following our visit to Saba, we will then take the short journey over to St. Barts and spend some time there as well.
wrp96 and rosensfole like this.

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 18, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And here's a photo of a WinAir DHC-6-300 Twin Otter just moments from landing at Saba (SAB).....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Wina...JwtEEKwkAMRe%2

I haven't quite gotten around yet to describing the landing at Saba to Lady K......
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA
And here's a photo of a WinAir DHC-6-300 Twin Otter just moments from landing at Saba (SAB).
Oh, that's nothing ...

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...act=mrc&uact=8
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And one of these fine days I shall land at LCY as well!
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

6. In 1978, this U.S. based air carrier applied for new service authority from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to several destinations in Mexico including nonstop flights to Guadalajara with direct, continuing service to Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, La Paz and San Jose Del Cabo. The airline was unsuccessful with its application. Name this air carrier. The airline in question would have operated this new service with a twin engine jet aircraft type it was already flying on domestic routes.

10. You are in Denver in 1979 and need to travel to Milwaukee for a meeting. You are in no hurry and have found a daily flight departing DEN in the morning which will get you into MKE by mid afternoon. Four stops will be made en route and the aircraft is in all coach configuration. Identify the airline, all four stops in order and the aircraft type. The equipment was a twin engine jet but wasn't a DC9, D9S or D95. The airline wasn't North Central or Ozark. MSP was the last stop before MKE.

12. In 1980, Texas International (TI) was operating a hub at Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) but was also serving Dallas Love Field (DAL) at the same time with nonstop flights from DAL to two destinations, one of which was Houston Intercontinental (IAH). What was the other destination served nonstop by TI from Love Field at this time? This city is located in the southern portion of the Lone Star State.

14. It's spring in 1981 and you are now in Toledo, Ohio for a meeting. Your old sailing buddy is in Miami and wants you to come down after your meeting in order to take a look at a fairly new catamaran that is for sale. Well, alright then.....and here's a flight departing TOL in the afternoon that will get you into MIA in time for dinner. Two stops will be made by this daily service. Name the airline, the two stops in order and the equipment. The two intermediate stops were located in Florida.

16. Now it's the summer of 1984 and you are in St. Louis. You've been working diligently on a project day and night and it's now time to take a much needed break. So where to go? Well, how about Hawaii? There's even a weekly direct flight from STL to HNL that makes two intermediate stops en route. What airline will you be traveling on? Also name the two stops in order and the equipment. Los Angeles (LAX) was the second stop and the equipment was a wide body aircraft but wasn't a DC-10. The airline wasn't American or TWA. PHX wasn't the first stop.

17. In early 1985, four airlines were operating nonstop jet service from West Palm Beach to Fort Myers in Florida. Each air carrier operated just one daily flight on the route with two of the airlines operating the same aircraft type. The other two air carriers operated different aircraft types. Name all four airlines along with the equipment each operated on their respective flights. One of the flights was operated with a B737-200 while another flight was operated with a DC-9-30.

18. It's still early 1985 and you are in Brownsville, Texas. You need to travel to Chicago and have found a daily evening flight from BRO that will get into ORD before midnight. Two intermediate stops will be made en route by this service. Identify the air carrier, the two stops in order and the aircraft type. The equipment was a twin engine jet.
I've added some hints for these remaining quiz items........

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 19, 2018 at 4:04 pm Reason: additional hint for # 16
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
10. You are in Denver in 1979 and need to travel to Milwaukee for a meeting. You are in no hurry and have found a daily flight departing DEN in the morning which will get you into MKE by mid afternoon. Four stops will be made en route and the aircraft is in all coach configuration. Identify the airline, all four stops in order and the aircraft type.
The equipment was a twin engine jet.

Right from the get go I looked at this question and thought Ozark. I'm just not so confident on what route Ozark would've flown. Then again, it could be North Central on a milk run routing through Minnesota and Wisconsin. Let's go with the latter operating a DC-9-50 following the same routing as my first ever flight aboard NC routing Denver - Minneapolis - Eau Claire - Stevens Point - Green Bay - Milwaukee.

(BTW, my first NC flight came in 1979 via a joint fare on the Denver - Chicago route using WA to MSP and NC onward to ORD. I ended up with a pair of WA 737s DEN-RAP-MSP connecting to an NC DC-9-50 MSP-EAU-CWA-GRB-ORD. Quite a lot of flights for the $78.00 one way joint fare between DEN and ORD)

16. Now it's the summer of 1984 and you are in St. Louis. You've been working diligently on a project day and night and it's now time to take a much needed break. So where to go? Well, how about Hawaii? There's even a weekly direct flight from STL to HNL that makes two intermediate stops en route. What airline will you be traveling on? Also name the two stops in order and the equipment.
Los Angeles (LAX) was the second stop and the equipment was a wide body aircraft.

Anytime I see STL I think TWA but I don't think TWA was flying LAX-HNL back then. Only American comes immediately to mind. The most likely routing would've been via DFW and LAX but I doubt you would've used this as a question were that the case, so let's go with AA running a DC-10 STL-PHX-LAX-HNL.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10. You are in Denver in 1979 and need to travel to Milwaukee for a meeting. You are in no hurry and have found a daily flight departing DEN in the morning which will get you into MKE by mid afternoon. Four stops will be made en route and the aircraft is in all coach configuration. Identify the airline, all four stops in order and the aircraft type.
The equipment was a twin engine jet.

Right from the get go I looked at this question and thought Ozark. I'm just not so confident on what route Ozark would've flown. Then again, it could be North Central on a milk run routing through Minnesota and Wisconsin. Let's go with the latter operating a DC-9-50 following the same routing as my first ever flight aboard NC routing Denver - Minneapolis - Eau Claire - Stevens Point - Green Bay - Milwaukee.

(BTW, my first NC flight came in 1979 via a joint fare on the Denver - Chicago route using WA to MSP and NC onward to ORD. I ended up with a pair of WA 737s DEN-RAP-MSP connecting to an NC DC-9-50 MSP-EAU-CWA-GRB-ORD. Quite a lot of flights for the $78.00 one way joint fare between DEN and ORD)

16. Now it's the summer of 1984 and you are in St. Louis. You've been working diligently on a project day and night and it's now time to take a much needed break. So where to go? Well, how about Hawaii? There's even a weekly direct flight from STL to HNL that makes two intermediate stops en route. What airline will you be traveling on? Also name the two stops in order and the equipment.
Los Angeles (LAX) was the second stop and the equipment was a wide body aircraft.

Anytime I see STL I think TWA but I don't think TWA was flying LAX-HNL back then. Only American comes immediately to mind. The most likely routing would've been via DFW and LAX but I doubt you would've used this as a question were that the case, so let's go with AA running a DC-10 STL-PHX-LAX-HNL.
Both excellent guesses, sir! However.....

10. It was not North Central nor was it Ozark. And although this flight indeed stopped at Minneapolis/St. Paul, this wasn't the location of the first stop. In fact, MSP was the last stop before the flight reached MKE. Furthermore, the equipment wasn't a DC-9-50. And the aircraft wasn't a DC-9-10 or DC-9-30 either.

16. The air carrier in question wasn't American or TWA. In addition, the flight did not stop in Phoenix and the equipment wasn't a DC-10.

Please guess again!

And now to the lawn mower on a beautiful and sunny Friday afternoon ahead of our next cold front......
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good Morning All!

Time to submit my additional new quiz items to round out my current set.

As always, please limit your response to no more than three per day so that all may participate. Thanks!

25. It's the spring of 1961 and you are in Edmonton following a vacation visit to Jasper National Park in the Canadian Rockies. You've been invited to attend a symposium in New York City and now the only question is: how to get there? Much to your surprise, you've discovered a daily direct flight which departs Edmonton International (YEG) at 8:20 am and arrives into New York Idlewild (IDL) at 9:05 pm. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served on this flight which will make three intermediate stops en route. You book a seat in first class. Identify the airline, all three stops in the order in which they will be made and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

26. Now it's the spring of 1966 and you are back in New York City. You must attend a meeting in Des Moines and have found a flight departing mid-morning which arrives into DSM at 1:07 pm. Two intermediate stops will be made en route and only one class of service is offered on this flight. Name the airport you will depart from in the New York City area, the air carrier, the two stops in order and the equipment.

27. Also in the spring of 1966, this airline was operating a daily direct "milk run" flight from Los Angeles (LAX) to Tulsa (TUL). Four intermediate stops were made en route and the routing was a bit circuitous but rather scenic in spots. Identify the airline, all four stops in order and the aircraft type.

28. Only one airline was operating nonstop service from St. Lucia (SLU) to New York City in early 1985 and this flight only operated once a week. Identify this air carrier, the airport in the New York City area served by this flight and the equipment.

29. You are Berkeley in the late summer of 1986 where you have been attending a symposium at the University of California concerning space exploration. A follow up symposium will be held at the Johnson Space Center in Texas which you will attend as well. You have found a daily direct one stop flight to Houston Hobby (HOU) departing at 6:30 am from the closest airport to Berkeley. Name the airport you will depart from, the air carrier, the stop and the equipment. The aircraft was in an all-coach configuration.

The next five quiz items have a time line of the fall of 1993:

30. If you wanted to fly nonstop from East Midlands in the U.K. to Jersey in the Channel Islands, there was only one airline to call and it operated two different aircraft types on the route. Identify this air carrier and the two aircraft types. ANSWERED

31. If you wanted to fly nonstop on a wide body aircraft to London from Aberdeen in Scotland at this time, what airline would you call, what type of jet would you be flying on and what airport would you arrive into in London? ANSWERED

32. If you wanted to fly nonstop on a wide body aircraft from Amsterdam to Manchester in the U.K. at this time, what air carrier would you call and what type of jet would you be flying on? ANSWERED

33. Only one airline was operating McDonnell Douglas MD-11 service from Bangkok to London and this flight made one intermediate stop en route. Name the air carrier, the stop and the London area airport served by this flight. ANSWERED

34. This airline claimed it was operating direct one stop service twice a week to London from Las Vegas with a single flight number being used. However, there was a change of equipment en route. Identify the air carrier, the airport where the equipment change occurred, the London area airport served and both aircraft types. And please be very specific concerning the aircraft models. The airline in question wasn't Continental, TWA or Delta and the equipment wasn't a 727, 72S or 757 on the domestic leg or a 767, 763, L15 or L10 on the international leg. The equipment change was not made at STL or ATL. The airport served in London was Heathrow.

35. In late 2000, this air carrier began new seasonal nonstop service between Hayden Airport (HDN) serving Steamboat Springs in Colorado and Raleigh/Durham (RDU) operated with an aircraft type that was new to its fleet. Name this airline and the equipment. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 1, 2018 at 10:05 am Reason: "answered" updates & etc.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
35. In late 2000, this air carrier began new seasonal nonstop service between Hayden Airport (HDN) serving Steamboat Springs in Colorado and Raleigh/Durham (RDU) operated with an aircraft type that was new to its fleet. Name this airline and the equipment.

This has gotta be Midway Airlines, most likely operating the route with a 737-700. I logged my first flight with Midway in May of 2000 during which I also logged my first flight aboard a Fokker 100.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

35. In late 2000, this air carrier began new seasonal nonstop service between Hayden Airport (HDN) serving Steamboat Springs in Colorado and Raleigh/Durham (RDU) operated with an aircraft type that was new to its fleet. Name this airline and the equipment.

This has gotta be Midway Airlines, most likely operating the route with a 737-700. I logged my first flight with Midway in May of 2000 during which I also logged my first flight aboard a Fokker 100.
35. Correct! Midway (JI) made this following statement in its November 7, 2000 timetable....

MIDWAY AIRLINES ISN'T YOUR ORDINARY AIRLINE

"....In addition, you'll have the confidence that you're flying on one of the youngest fleets in the airline industry, with an average age of under three years. We're very proud of our technologically advanced fleet of Fokker 100s (F-100s), our group of comfortable Canadair Regional Jets (CRJs) and our three new Boeing 737-700s. In fact, by the end of 2000, we'll have six 737-700s in service, and fourteen more will be added over the next two years. As a result, we'll be able to increase our service from our Raleigh/Durham hub to major markets and add new cities to our schedule. For example, nonstop service to San Jose, CA starts November 7 and nonstop seasonal service to Steamboat Springs begins December 19."

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 20, 2018 at 2:37 pm Reason: Midway two letter airline code in 2000

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.