Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jul 8, 2012, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Classic Branff BAC One-Eleven territory then. The four 1968 Braniff daily departures from New Orleans were all by this aircraft. Unfortunately they didn't last, the 13 Braniff bought nor the 30 that went to American, were all sold off prematurely.

Braniff's One-Elevens were generally associated with the Mary Wells multi-colour paint schemes, but the very first ones built had the old Braniff 1950s red/white/black scheme. I don't know how many actually made it across the Atlantic so painted.
Absolutely correct, WHBM!

And when the BAC One-Eleven aircraft were disposed of, Braniff had a tendency to operate B727 equipment on the routes they had previously flown with the British twinjet.....
Old Jul 8, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
3. What type of jet aircraft was first operated into Unalakleet (UNK)? Also name the airline that flew this service as well as the route.
It's hard to keep up with the eager players on this thread! Go away for a few hours and you lose out. Anyway, at the risk of treading on Seat 2As turf, this has to be Alaska Airlines using their Golden Nugget B-727s. Route was Anchorage-UNK-Nome (OME) -Kotzebue (OTZ) and return.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Hey Wally!

5. PWA is correct! And I think this was the only time that one could fly on Boeing jet equipment on the short hop between Seattle and Victoria, BC.

14. Nope, this airline still currently operates HS 748 aircraft in scheduled passenger service. Here's a hint: you correctly identified one of the countries served by the flight I'm looking for......
In that case it's Air North's twice-weekly Fairbanks-Dawson City-Whitehorse run.

When PWA first started its Vancouver to Seattle service the southbound was required to stop at Victoria as they did not have YVR-SEA authority - early 1970s IIRC. Some (most) flights simply landed, taxiied to the other end and took off again. Thankfully that silliness didn't last long.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
It's hard to keep up with the eager players on this thread! Go away for a few hours and you lose out. Anyway, at the risk of treading on Seat 2As turf, this has to be Alaska Airlines using their Golden Nugget B-727s. Route was Anchorage-UNK-Nome (OME) -Kotzebue (OTZ) and return.
Our man in New Orleans is correct!

There was also another variation on this route and here it is from the Alaska Airlines June 1, 1969 timetable. And talk about a classic milk run!

AS 1867: Seattle (SEA) - Sitka (SIT) - Juneau (JNU) - Yakutat (YAK) - Cordova (CDV) - Anchorage (ANC) - Unalakleet (UNK) - Nome (OME) - Kotzebue (OTZ).

This flight was operated with a Boeing 727-100.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
Thanks! Would you happen to know what year the Electra was retired by AA? I am just curious.
Last original one (N6116A) left the fleet Jan. 1971 but there was one oddball N1432 (msn 1006) which AA took in part-payment for a Boeing 720B sold to the LA Dodgers. This never entered service and was in turn sold to Intermountain (aka the CIA ) in 1972. It still flies as a tanker in Canada.

For these sorts of questions I use:
http://www.geocities.com/aeromoe/fle...nes.html#index
check it out if you've never seen it - truly a work of love although no longer updated. I've downloaded the lists in case it falls off the net.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
In that case it's Air North's twice-weekly Fairbanks-Dawson City-Whitehorse run.

When PWA first started its Vancouver to Seattle service the southbound was required to stop at Victoria as they did not have YVR-SEA authority - early 1970s IIRC. Some (most) flights simply landed, taxiied to the other end and took off again. Thankfully that silliness didn't last long.
You got it, Wally!

Air North (4N) currently operates the FAI-YDA-YXY route with a Hawker Siddeley 748 turboprop on Mondays and Fridays .

This airline also currently flies scheduled jet service from Whitehorse to Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver as well as occasional scheduled charters to Victoria and Las Vegas. Besides the HS 748, the Air North fleet includes Boeing 737-200, 737-400 and 737-500 aircraft (the latter equipped with winglets). The carrier is based in Whitehorse (YXY) in the Yukon Territory of Canada.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 8, 2012 at 6:44 pm Reason: Additional 4N route info
Old Jul 8, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
10. What airline operated weekly nonstop B747 service between Santo Domingo, DR (SDQ) and Caracas (CCS)?
I know that Dominicana de Aviacion had one 747 in their fleet in 1970, and I know they had weekly service to CCS from SDO, but I'm not sure they used the 747 on that route -- but it's either DO or Viasa, and the only 747 Viasa had was a lease from KLM with one side painted in Viasas livery, the other in KLM livery. I doubt it was ever used on the SDO flights. So I'll guess DO.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know that Dominicana de Aviacion had one 747 in their fleet in 1970, and I know they had weekly service to CCS from SDO, but I'm not sure they used the 747 on that route -- but it's either DO or Viasa, and the only 747 Viasa had was a lease from KLM with one side painted in Viasas livery, the other in KLM livery. I doubt it was ever used on the SDO flights. So I'll guess DO.
An excellent guess, sir! However, this weekly B747 service was not flown by Dominicana de Aviacion or Viasa.

So here's a hint: this SDQ to CCS flight actually originated in Europe.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 6:05 pm

Programs: BA
Thanks! Would you happen to know what year the Electra was retired by AA?
Last original one (N6116A) left the fleet Jan. 1971 .
That's true of the physical sale, but Electras had disappeared from American's schedules by early 1969, so the end of 1968 was when they left active service and American became all jet. Many of the US Electra fleets were retired all together round this time, as a range of short-haul jets came onto the market, and they were difficult to sell for much more than residual value, so they tended to hang around for some years. At least they were better than some of the last piston aircraft; American's DC-7s, went to the scrapyard after about 5 years of service, completely unsaleable once jets came along.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 8:00 pm

An excellent guess, sir! However, this weekly B747 service was not flown by Dominicana de Aviacion or Viasa.

So here's a hint: this SDQ to CCS flight actually originated in Europe.
Iberia ?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:09 pm

7. Back in 1966, one could fly from Tulsa (TUL) to Seattle (SEA) with direct, no change of plane service via an interchange flight. There were six (6) stops en route and the flight was operated with prop equipment. Name the two airlines that operated this interchange service, the en route stops and the type of aircraft flown.
Last one for tonight -- hope I have better luck. It was CO-UA interchange, TUL-ICT-DEN-BOI-PDX-SEA on a Viscount.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
There's no risk in treading on my turf, especially with correct answers. ^

Now it's 11:00pm and I'm sitting here enjoying a glass of Basil Hayden's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey whilst perusing all the excitement I missed over the past 12 hours. While you were all engaged in vigorous and enjoyable repartee, I was driving 51 of this nations's most tenacious travelers through the wilds of Denali Park in search of wildlife. Here's a few shots of the road I drive everyday...

Eastbound down through Polychrome

The road is narrow. Meeting another bus can be challenging...

I love this road!

Bull Caribou!

By the time I'd gotten back, post tripped my bus and finished dinner, you had all called it a day. Alas.

But good on y'all none the less! I've enjoyed reading all the answers and adding to my knowledge base. ,Now, before I drink too much more of this fabulous Basil Hayden's, let me attempt a few oF the unanswered questions:

2. This airline operated one stop jet service from Stockton (SCK) to Sacramento (SMF) which is a distance of just over 50 miles or so via Interstate 5. Name the airline, the intermediate stop and the type of aircraft flown.

I'm going to guess it was Pacific Express operating BAC-111 aircraft. As to the intermediate stop... I reckon it might have been Medford or Oakland, perhaps even SFO. I once flew their snappy little 111 service on a LAX-MOD-SCK-SFO flight. I remember listening to Emmylou Harris's Roses In The Snow album on that flight. Afterwards, friends and I caught 12 shows with the Grateful Dead mixed around a week long backpacking trip in California's Sierra Nevada. Life sure was good back then!

4. What airline operated nonstop jet service between Seattle (SEA) and Kenai (ENA)? Also name the type of aircraft flown.

Let's go with Wien Air Alaska on a 737-200. In 1980 I flew Wien's 737-200 on a SEA-ADQ-ENA-ANC routing. I remember that flight for a parrot that was loose in the cabin. For the most part it was a well behaved bird but it did take flight on a couple of occasions. Interestingly, Pan Am's SEA kitchen catered that flight.

6. Back in 1969, this airline flew a daily roundtrip service with a routing of Cleveland (CLE) - Pittsburgh (PIT) - Knoxville (TYS) - Birmingham (BHM). Name the airline and the type of equipment operated.

United had a big operation out of CLE back then, so let's go with them and a 727-100.

13. And once again back in 1968, if you wanted to fly direct with no change of plane in first class on a four engine jetliner from San Diego (SAN) to Sioux Falls (FSD), what airline would you be flying on? Also name the aircraft type.

This had to be Western on a 720B. I'm pretty sure they were they were the only airline that offered two class service through FSD, especially on a four holer. As to the routing, I'd guess SAN-PHX-DEN-FSD or SAN-LAX-SLC-FSD.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 9, 2012 at 1:13 am
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Iberia ?
Nope, it wasn't Iberia......
Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last one for tonight -- hope I have better luck. It was CO-UA interchange, TUL-ICT-DEN-BOI-PDX-SEA on a Viscount.
You're getting closer!

This interchange service was flown by Continental and United (perhaps a harbinger of things to come?) with DEN as the interchange point.

However, you are missing two (2) intermediate stops according to the UA timetable (BTW, the CO timetable back then did not list all of the UA cities where stops were made).

And this flight was not operated with a Vickers Viscount.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 9, 2012 at 8:26 am Reason: punctuation
Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
There's no risk in treading on my turf, especially with correct answers. ^

Now it's 11:00pm and I'm sitting here enjoying a glass of Basil Hayden's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey whilst perusing all the excitement I missed over the past 12 hours. While you were all engaged in vigorous and enjoyable repartee, I was driving 51 of this nations's most tenacious travelers through the wilds of Denali Park in search of wildlife. Here's a few shots of the road I drive everyday...

Eastbound down through Polychrome

The road is narrow. Meeting another bus can be challenging...

I love this road!

Bull Caribou!

By the time I'd gotten back, post tripped my bus and finished dinner, you had all called it a day. Alas.

But good on y'all none the less! I've enjoyed reading all the answers and adding to my knowledge base. ,Now, before I drink too much more of this fabulous Basil Hayden's, let me attempt a few oF the unanswered questions:

2. This airline operated one stop jet service from Stockton (SCK) to Sacramento (SMF) which is a distance of just over 50 miles or so via Interstate 5. Name the airline, the intermediate stop and the type of aircraft flown.

I'm going to guess it was Pacific Express operating BAC-111 aircraft. As to the intermediate stop... I reckon it might have been Medford or Oakland, perhaps even SFO. I once flew their snappy little 111 service on a LAX-MOD-SCK-SFO flight. I remember listening to Emmylou Harris's Roses In The Snow album on that flight. Afterwards, friends and I caught 12 shows with the Grateful Dead mixed around a week long backpacking trip in California's Sierra Nevada. Life sure was good back then!

4. What airline operated nonstop jet service between Seattle (SEA) and Kenai (ENA)? Also name the type of aircraft flown.

Let's go with Wien Air Alaska on a 737-200. In 1980 I flew Wien's 737-200 on a SEA-ADQ-ENA-ANC routing. I remember that flight for a parrot that was loose in the cabin. For the most part it was a well behaved bird but it did take flight on a couple of occasions. Interestingly, Pan Am's SEA kitchen catered that flight.

6. Back in 1969, this airline flew a daily roundtrip service with a routing of Cleveland (CLE) - Pittsburgh (PIT) - Knoxville (TYS) - Birmingham (BHM). Name the airline and the type of equipment operated.

United had a big operation out of CLE back then, so let's go with them and a 727-100.

13. And once again back in 1968, if you wanted to fly direct with no change of plane in first class on a four engine jetliner from San Diego (SAN) to Sioux Falls (FSD), what airline would you be flying on? Also name the aircraft type.

This had to be Western on a 720B. I'm pretty sure they were they were the only airline that offered two class service through FSD, especially on a four holer. As to the routing, I'd guess SAN-PHX-DEN-FSD or SAN-LAX-SLC-FSD.
Excellent photos and very serviceable whiskey from Seat 2A!

2. Nope, it was not Pacific Express....and speaking of the Grateful Dead, I remember seeing them during the "Terrapin Station" tour all those years ago outdoors at horse racing track near Austin, Texas. We were actually back stage and I remember the fact that Jerry Garcia and other band members were using McIntosh power amps. It was a superb concert! And I'm also a survivor of many a backpacking trip in the magnificent Sierra Nevada mountains, especially with regard to the Tioga Pass area of Yosemite National Park and the Mineral King area of Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park!

4. Wien Air Alaska with a B737-200 nonstop ENA-SEA is correct! The OAG flight schedules I looked at shows Wien flying the route three days a week nonstop with ADQ-SEA nonstop service being operated on the other four days.

6. United is correct. However, UA flew another aircraft type on this route at the time....

13. Western with a Boeing 720B is correct! The actual routing was LAX-SAN-PHX-DEN-FSD-MSP.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 9, 2012 at 8:30 am Reason: Additional Wien Air Alaska flight schedule info

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.