Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Jun 30, 12, 4:19 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by 777-100SP View Post
1) more than 1. Ok, wiseguy answer. 23?
4)SFO-JFK
I flew this on a TWA 747-100 before
1) Here's a hint: more than one and less than 23! Any other guesses out there?

4) Correct! And there were other domestic TWA flights operated with the B747-100 as well such as STL-HNL.....
Old Jun 30, 12, 4:22 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
I'll assume that at least one answer is correct so:

next:

What airlines flew from London to St. Louis in the mid-1980's?
I'll guess TWA in view of their hub located at STL at the time.....
Old Jun 30, 12, 4:57 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
1) Here's a hint: more than one and less than 23! Any other guesses out there?

4) Correct! And there were other domestic TWA flights operated with the B747-100 as well such as STL-HNL.....
I'm just remembering some of the TWA 747 flights that I had:

LAX-JFK
HNL-LAX
Old Jun 30, 12, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by tonywestsider View Post
I'm just remembering some of the TWA 747 flights that I had:

LAX-JFK
HNL-LAX
Hey Tony! Correct as well, sir!
Old Jun 30, 12, 5:00 pm

I'll guess TWA in view of their hub located at STL at the time.....
Also guessing that TWA either used their L-1011s on the STL-London route or their new Boeing 767-200s, which might have been the newer ER series.
Old Jun 30, 12, 5:07 pm

As we await additional answers for WHBM's excellent set of questions, I'll submit a few more quiz items on this beautiful Saturday morning....

2) Provide a domestic U.S. route example flown by Delta with B747-100 equipment.

3) Provide a domestic U.S. route example flown by Eastern with B747-100 equipment.

5) Name an airline that operated nonstop service between Eureka/Arcata (ACV) and Redding (RDD) in California.
Thank you, jlemon for the earlier verification. I will guess at questions 2 and 3, so I stand to be corrected:

2.) ORD-ATL
3.) ORD-MIA

This one I looked up:
5.) Pacific Air Lines, which then became Air West. RW flew F-27s on the route.
Old Jun 30, 12, 5:18 pm

Programs: All of them!
3) Eastern 747-100----I would say JFK/MIA
Old Jun 30, 12, 6:47 pm

Programs: BA
I'm just in from :

http://www.iwm.org.uk/events/flying-legends

9 Spitfires in formation ! Probably about 50 WW2 aircraft overall (way more than the web page says), and at the end they get the whole lot up in one huge formation. Oh, and that wonder in Britain, perfect flying weather.

Car keys away, out with the beer, zzzzzzz. Oh, here's a quickie to answer.

What airlines flew from London to St. Louis in the mid-1980's?
British Caley !

I'll leave mine from Friday open until tomorrow.
Old Jun 30, 12, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume you guys have looked at these web sites
http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...e/complete.htm
http://www.airtimes.com/

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 30, 12 at 10:16 pm
Old Jul 1, 12, 8:28 am

Also guessing that TWA either used their L-1011s on the STL-London route or their new Boeing 767-200s, which might have been the newer ER series.
Well, I'm not sure about the equipment used by TWA in the mid 80's STL-LGW.....

However, in October of 1993, according to OAG worldwide edition:

TW 720 - STL-LGW - B747 (discontinued Oct. 30)

TW 720 - STL-LGW - B767 (effective Oct. 31)

Looks like TWA down gauged the equipment for the fall season....

And I'm intrigued by WHBM's comment: did BCal actually serve STL?? I believe they did serve IAH at one point......
Old Jul 1, 12, 8:57 am

Thank you, jlemon for the earlier verification. I will guess at questions 2 and 3, so I stand to be corrected:

2.) ORD-ATL
3.) ORD-MIA

This one I looked up:
5.) Pacific Air Lines, which then became Air West. RW flew F-27s on the route.
2) DL may well have operated the B747 ORD-ATL at one point but were not doing so in the late winter of 1976. I did find several other DL B747 routes at this time including ATL-LAX and ATL-DFW-LAS.

3) Ah, the elusive EA 747 service....I thought I had this route info but I don't! I also believe you are correct with ORD-MIA but I cannot verify this!

5) Also Horizon Air. Here's some examples from late summer of 1994:

AS* 2610 (Horizon used Alaska's code back then and still does today): ACV-RDD-PDX-SEA flown with a Dash 8-200 turboprop.

AS* 2619: SEA-PDX-RDD-ACV flown with a Dornier 328 turboprop.

The Dornier 328s weren't around all that long at Horizon as I believe the carrier found their Dash 8s to be more reliable.......

I also think there may have been other carriers that operated ACV-RDD or RDD-ACV as continuing service flights.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 1, 12 at 9:10 am
Old Jul 1, 12, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Yes, I think most of us have and thank you for that! WHBM was kind enough to provide a link to the timetable images site awhile back.....

I tend to use data from old North American and Worldwide editions of the Official Airline Guide (OAG) but have been known to access this invaluable air carrier timetable information as well.......
Old Jul 1, 12, 9:59 am

Programs: BA
And I'm intrigued by WHBM's comment: did BCal actually serve STL?? I believe they did serve IAH at one point......
Yes, B Cal did serve St Louis from London Gatwick. Under the old "Bermuda Agreement" this fell in the Gatwick, not Heathrow area, and thus B Cal served there along with Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, etc. Houston itself was long a key route for them, they had good links with the oil industry and there were connections at Gatwick both ways (some on Dan-Air) to Aberdeen in Scotland, Stavanger in Norway and Saudi Arabian points. Regarding St Louis, B Cal started on 707s in 1980, then moved on to DC10s later.

BCal merged with BA, who gave up St Louis, and then later TWA started up in the 1990s on the route, using 767s.

2) Provide a domestic U.S. route example flown by Delta with B747-100 equipment.

3) Provide a domestic U.S. route example flown by Eastern with B747-100 equipment.

4) Provide a domestic U.S. route example flown by TWA with B747-100 equipment.
For Delta, lets say Atlanta to Washington. They did an interchange flight with Pan Am which continued to London, so sometimes we saw Delta over here, they seemed to get used for a block of about six months, then it went on to a Pan Am 747.

Eastern, IIRC JFK to San Juan and JFK to Miami were the principal routes. Eastern ordered four 747-100s, but sold them on to TWA before delivery and then leased aircraft from Pan Am for a year or two in 1971-72, which gave them widebodies until the Tristars arrived. There were just a couple of year-round 747s under this arrangement, and others were leased for Eastern's winter peak.

TWA, the basic trunks such as JFK to LAX and SFO. These were integrated with their Transatlantic flights. I also once did LAX to Bangor, Maine in a TWA 747, which counts as sort-of domestic. It was the LAX to London flight that was a TWA (and the movie industry) staple for many years. unable to get Atlantic clearance due to a strike at European ATC, so we went to Bangor and waited.

I'll do the answers to my own questions later, anyone want to have a shot at them - for those following the sidebar comments to this thread we have been writing over recent pages, it's late Sunday afteroon, its sunny here in London, and those weeds are about to meet their END

Last edited by WHBM; Jul 1, 12 at 10:17 am Reason: Quite an embarrassing typo, if you saw it !
Old Jul 1, 12, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Sorry I haven't been able to participate during the hot and heavy sessions but you guys have all been busy during my work hours. Good action, though!As to the questions:

DFW-ATL, DFW-LAX, ORD-MIA, DTW-MIA

JFK-MIA

4) Provide a domestic U.S. route example flown by TWA with B747-100 equipment.

DEN-JFK (I watched it take off! Regular service from Denver once upon a time) IAD-LAX, ORD-LAX, JFK-LAX, JFK-LAS

5) Name an airline that operated nonstop service between Eureka/Arcata (ACV) and Redding (RDD) in California.

United. Flew it aboard a 737-200 in March 1986. The routing was SFO-RDD-ACV-SFO

6) What Central American airline flew nonstop between Santo Domingo (SDQ) and San Juan (SJU)?

Could it be LACSA?

10) What airline provided an essentially all business class type of seating layout (2-2 seating) on their jet aircraft service between San Diego (SAN) and Los Angeles (LAX)? Also name the aircraft type operated (hint: this was not a regional jet).

Midwest Express DC-9-80. I always wanted on fly on this flight but never managed it.

As to WHBM's excellent questions, my answers would be pretty much the exact same as Wally Bird's. I'll look forward to the answers and hope to provide some similar questions during my next set of days off on Wednesday/Thursday.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 1, 12 at 10:36 am
Old Jul 1, 12, 12:17 pm

Excellent answers above from WHBM and Seat 2A!

6) The airline was actually COPA (CM) flying a B737 on routing of GUA-SJO-PTY-SDQ-SJU and return.

10) Midwest Express (YX) is correct! And the DC-9-30 was also used. Here are the actual routings from the late summer of 1994:

YX 35: OMA-SAN-LAX-OMA flown every day except Saturdays with a D9S.

YX 60: OMA-LAX-SAN-OMA flown on Saturdays only with a D9S.

YX 901: SAN-LAX-MKE flown with weekend exceptions with an MD-80.

YX 902: MKE-LAX-SAN-MKE flown with a differing schedule with regard to weekend service with an MD-80.

YX 971: MKE-SAN-LAX-MKE flown on Sundays only an MD-80.

I had the opportunity to fly Midwest Express from SFO to MKE and also from MKE to LAX. Both flights were on MD-80 equipment with 2-2 seating and the cabin service & meals were great!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: