Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Hmm... Well, back in the late 80s, I would think an LAX-BWI nonstop would probably be with US Airways. As to aircraft type, perhaps this is the route where that 767-200 showed up.
you are within one day of being totally correct: this was actually the last Piedmont departure on 4 Aug 1989 (767-201ER N647US)
I was surprised that none of JoeDTW's aircraft choices were correct as I would likely have chosen exactly the same ones. Now, you state that all four aircraft guesses for those TWA flights are partially correct in that each model appears somewhere among the 16 segments, but not on any of the segments flown by TWA. Hmm... that doesn't leave a lot of aircraft options for those TWA flights. The MD-80 comes to mind though, and since I once flew aboard a TWA MD80 on the SEA-STL run back about that time, let's go with the Maddog for section 6 (STL-SEA)
apologies; allow me to clarify -- none of those four jets appeared on those particular segments (not necessarily that they weren't TW flights)

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
My next guesses: DAY-STL with a DC-9-50
STL-LAX with a 747-100
CVG-STL with a 727-100
  • MD80 and 727-100 are partially correct (again, both are among the 14 models represented over the 16 segments)
  • D95 is incorrect (not on the list at all)
  • 747 (actually a -200) on STL-LAX is correct
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550

Q12. An independent carrier also ran between Anchorage and Kenai at that time (June 98).
Name the airline and aircraft type.

This was SouthCentral Air with a Beech 1900C. A newspaper cutting on the internet says they ceased flying just a couple of months later in August 98.KT
And here's a bonus quiz item.....

At one point, SouthCentral Air operated code sharing service for an airline that was flying jet equipment. Besides Anchorage-Kenai, two other routes were flown by SouthCentral via this code share agreement. Identify the air carrier and the two other routes. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 28, 2018 at 11:52 am Reason: now answered
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
The following week’s work travel netted Segments #9 and 10: a SEA-LAX nonstop on Airline #4, returning nonstop from a nearby airport on Airline #5
I'm gonna roll the dice and guess that the nearby airport was Burbank (I don't think there were any nonstops from LGB up to SEA until a few years later - if ever). As such, let's say segment 10 was BUR-SEA with airline 5 being Alaska and the equipment being a DC-9-80, aka MD-80 aka Maddog.

Two weeks later I was back on Airline #3 for Segment #14 (SEA-LAX, upgraded); I again returned from a nearby airport via Airlines #3 and 5 for Segments #15 and 16
Assuming airline 5 is Alaska, let's stick with Burbank as the nearby airport. Now then - you've got a connection between BUR and SEA. Let's say the connection point is SFO. In 1991 I flew BUR-SFO on United in order to log my first ever flight aboard a 737-500. What the hey - let's stick with UA BUR-SFO and the 735 for segment 15, and Alaska for segment 16 SFO-SEA with a 727-200.

Again working on the assumption that airline 3 truly is United and we're dealing with a bunch of different aircraft models, let's go with segment 14 (SEA-LAX) being operated by either a DC-8-71 or a DC-10... I'll pick the Super 8 to the Golden State.

Current temperature here in Ester is -26°F. Time for another glass of Russell's Reserve.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 25, 2018 at 1:56 am
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
you are within one day of being totally correct: this was actually the last Piedmont departure on 4 Aug 1989 (767-201ER N647US)
apologies; allow me to clarify -- none of those four jets appeared on those particular segments (not necessarily that they weren't TW flights)
MD80 and 727-100 are partially correct (again, both are among the 14 models represented over the 16 segments)
  • D95 is incorrect (not on the list at all)
  • 747 (actually a -200) on STL-LAX is correct
OK, here are my final guesses. If I'm not correct now, I'll let someone else try:

DAY-STL: 727-100
CVG-STL: DC-9-30
STL-SEA: L-1011

Meanwhile, I'm working on a quiz based on Delta's Oct 31, 1976 timetable, that I'll post once this quiz is done. Among the questions I'll be tormenting all of you with will be (1) a DC-9-30 flight that leaves Portland, Maine at 7:10 AM and pulls into the gate in Augusta, Georgia at 5:42 PM, after making eight enroute stops, and (2) a three stop DC-8-51 flight from Hartford to Detroit.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
OK, here are my final guesses. If I'm not correct now, I'll let someone else try:

DAY-STL: 727-100
CVG-STL: DC-9-30
STL-SEA: L-1011

Meanwhile, I'm working on a quiz based on Delta's Oct 31, 1976 timetable, that I'll post once this quiz is done. Among the questions I'll be tormenting all of you with will be (1) a DC-9-30 flight that leaves Portland, Maine at 7:10 AM and pulls into the gate in Augusta, Georgia at 5:42 PM, after making eight enroute stops, and (2) a three stop DC-8-51 flight from Hartford to Detroit.
Looking forward to it, Joe!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
I'm gonna roll the dice and guess that the nearby airport was Burbank (I don't think there were any nonstops from LGB up to SEA until a few years later - if ever). As such, let's say segment 10 was BUR-SEA with airline 5 being Alaska and the equipment being a DC-9-80, aka MD-80 aka Maddog.
correct on all counts, except for the dates regarding LGB-SEA service: I flew that aboard an Alaska 727-100 in 1983, returning from a job interview with Northrop in Pico Rivera ... what I remember most about that trip was that I bought up to F for maybe $35, and the guy next to me put away an actual handful of Jack Daniel’s on the rocks (one before pushback, and four during the flight)

Assuming airline 5 is Alaska, let's stick with Burbank as the nearby airport. Now then - you've got a connection between BUR and SEA. Let's say the connection point is SFO. In 1991 I flew BUR-SFO on United in order to log my first ever flight aboard a 737-500. What the hey - let's stick with UA BUR-SFO and the 735 for segment 15, and Alaska for segment 16 SFO-SEA with a 727-200.
BUR as the origin is correct
SFO as the connecting point is partially correct (i.e.,not on this trip)​​​​​​​
UA is partially correct
737-500 is incorrect
Alaska 72S is correct

Again working on the assumption that airline 3 truly is United and we're dealing with a bunch of different aircraft models, let's go with segment 14 (SEA-LAX) being operated by either a DC-8-71 or a DC-10... I'll pick the Super 8 to the Golden State.
UA is partially correct
D8S is partially correct

DAY-STL: 727-100 partially correct as noted
CVG-STL: DC-9-30 correct
STL-SEA: L-1011 correct

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 25, 2018 at 8:10 pm
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One more highlight to look forward to is my return from Washington National to Alaska. I used miles in order to try out Virgin America's First Class transcon service aboard its new A321NEO on the DCA-SFO run. This'll be my first ever flight aboard the NEO and I understand the CFM-LEAP engines contribute to a much quieter cabin. Additionally, the First Class cabin is still outfitted with Virgin's big recliners with a spacious 55" pitch. Dinner will be served.
Looking forward to a possible trip report, sir! Complete with first class wine review, of course.......
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Assuming airline 5 is Alaska, let's stick with Burbank as the nearby airport. Now then - you've got a connection between BUR and SEA. Let's say the connection point is SFO. In 1991 I flew BUR-SFO on United in order to log my first ever flight aboard a 737-500. What the hey - let's stick with UA BUR-SFO and the 735 for segment 15, and Alaska for segment 16 SFO-SEA with a 727-200.State.
BUR as the origin is correct
SFO as the connecting point is incorrect
UA is partially correct
737-500 is incorrect
72S is correct

Apologies here, but I'm not sure I understand the red highlighted items...

When you say UA is "partially correct", I'm assuming that would that be in the context of segment 15 or 16. Is that correct?

Additionally, you say the 72S is correct, but what is it correct in relation to?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When you say UA is "partially correct", I'm assuming that would that be in the context of segment 15 or 16. Is that correct?

Additionally, you say the 72S is correct, but what is it correct in relation to?
  • “partially correct” means UA is one of the airlines, but not the one for either of these segments
  • AS 72S is correct for Segment 16
I’m keeping track at the bottom of the original post (12401) above

note I have also updated the earlier answer to Seat 2A’s guess

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 25, 2018 at 8:11 pm
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In mid Sep my Boeing job took me to meetings in Fort Worth; I got upgraded on these two nonstops (Segments #7 and 8) on Airline #3
Two weeks later I was back on Airline #3 for Segment #14 (SEA-LAX, upgraded); I again returned from a nearby airport via Airlines #3 and 5 for Segments #15 and 16
Hmm... okay then - we've got Airline 3 being an airline that flies SEA-DFW as well as SEA-LAX. We already know it's not Alaska which in any event hadn't yet expanded to Texas. The only SEA-DFW airlines that come to mind are American and Delta. I'm pretty sure Delta still ran a mini-hub out of DFW but I'm positive about American on the SEA-DFW route. However, out of Burbank I don't see Delta going in a northerly direction. I think they came in from SLC and that's about it. That may hold true to this day. American on the other hand had a tidy little hub going out of SJC. I know because in late September of 1989 I flew on an AA MD80 from LAS up to SJC to see the Grateful Dead play at Shoreline Ampitheater in nearby Mountain View. However, I don't think American ever flew nonstop SEA-LAX, so that nixes AA out of BUR.

Let me think about this a bit more...

Sorry - I'm drawing a blank. Based upon the SEA-DFW route where I see only AA and DL offering nonstop flights, but AA not operating SEA-LAX (that I'm aware of) and unable to see Delta flying anywhere out of BUR other than SLC (And of course whatever airline flew out of BUR for segment 15 would have to fly someplace where Alaska flew into Seattle with a 727-200 from. Alaska didn't yet serve SLC-SEA (though oddly it used to back in the early 80s) so I'm at a loss here.

I'll sit back and watch for a bit on these... I'm sure one or more of the cognoscenti can figure this out.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 25, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

just realized that I neglected to credit Seat 2A with correctly identifying DFW

I’ve updated the original post above
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

At one point, SouthCentral Air operated code sharing service for an airline that was flying jet equipment. Besides Anchorage-Kenai, two other routes were flown by SouthCentral via this code share agreement. Identify the air carrier and the two other routes.
Never did receive a response on this one so I'll let it hang around for a bit longer and then provide an answer tomorrow if there are no takers.....

Meantime, lightning, thunder & heavy rain in the LFT area at the moment and we're under a flash flood watch here as the interesting winter of 2017-2018 continues.......
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:04 am

Never did receive a response on this one so I'll let it hang around for a bit longer and then provide an answer tomorrow if there are no takers.....

Meantime, lightning, thunder & heavy rain in the LFT area at the moment and we're under a flash flood watch here as the interesting winter of 2017-2018 continues.......
Were they a MarkAir franchise?
I think Homer was one of the destinations and guessing they served the Kenai Peninsula, I'll offer Seward for the third.

KT
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KT550
Were they a MarkAir franchise?
I think Homer was one of the destinations and guessing they served the Kenai Peninsula, I'll offer Seward for the third.

KT
An excellent guess! However, the airline in question was not MarkAir. Homer (HOM) is correct although Seward (SWD) is not. Please guess again, sir!

BTW, many years ago I oversaw a seasonal helicopter operation one summer at SWD. Seward is an interesting place with a fairly large port that can accommodate ocean going vessels and is also the southern terminus of the Alaska Railroad.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At one point, SouthCentral Air operated code sharing service for an airline that was flying jet equipment. Besides Anchorage-Kenai, two other routes were flown by SouthCentral via this code share agreement. Identify the air carrier and the two other routes.
I'll go ahead and provide the answer for the above.......

The year was 1987 and the air carrier in question was Western Airlines with SouthCentral Air operating Western Express service between Anchorage and Kenai (ENA), Homer (HOM) and Soldotna (SXQ). I believe SouthCentral was operating Piper Chieftain light twin aircraft on its Western Express service in 1987. WA was operating nonstop service between ANC and FAI, HNL, PDX, SEA and SLC as well as one stop service between ANC and LAX and SFO at this time. Their primary aircraft type used to serve Anchorage in the spring of 1987 was the B727-200 although one of the nonstops to SLC was operated with a B737-300. The DC-10 was used for the nonstop service to Honolulu which was operated five days a week.

And there was another commuter air carrier flying Western Express service at this time as well: SkyWest which was operating in the western U.S.with Embraer EMB-120 Brasilia and Swearingen Metro equipment with feeder service to and from LAX and SLC for WA as well as point to point flights. Western was soon to be merged into Delta which apparently did not continue a code sharing relationship with SouthCentral but did so with SkyWest as the latter became a Delta Connection carrier (and still is, of course).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.