Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Jan 15, 18, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
Good Morning from balmy Alaska. The mercury has risen all the way up to 18F (about -8C I believe) and we're gaining just over 5 minutes of sunlight every day. There's still a lot of winter left up here - including some seriously sub-zero days I'm sure - but you gotta enjoy these little treats when they happen. By the end of the week we could be back to more seasonal lows.

And hey - a big Thank You! to KT550 for three fine questions. Though it may seem hard to believe, most of us regulars don't have stacks of old OAGs or timetables laying around the house (or cabin, as the case might be) but an excellent resource for flight information can be found at departedflights.com and timetableimages.com. And of course to resort to using them to immediately discover answers would take all the fun out of it, effectively reducing our little exercise to an easy game of fetch and return. I've probably got more OAGs than anyone here (I have about a dozen) and look how often I'm wrong! But then there's the fun of working it all out.

Q3. In July 1980, which airline started direct flights to Mexico City from LGW and what aircraft did they use?

As to your question 3 with its hint of a Tristar 500 being the aircraft of record, the only one that comes to mind if we're talking scheduled services might be British Caledonian. I just don't recall if they operated the -500 variant, much less going into Mexico City. The other factor here is the word "direct". Over on this side of the pond, we've always understood "direct" to mean through service with one or more enroute stops. Nonstop means just that. However, in other parts of the world "direct" effectively means nonstop. In any event, let's take a stab in the dark and go with Pan Am - operating an L-1011-500 from Gatwick to Houston to Mexico City. I know PA operated L15s because I flew upon one.
Correct. Pan Am it was. Good job I chose "direct" over nonstop.
British Caledonian didn't operate any TriStars. After the merger (take-over) with British Airways, a charter operation Caledonian Airways was created, which did fly L-1011s but not the -500.

KT
Old Jan 15, 18, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA
Just recovering with a pleasant drink from a day return trip by M25/M1/M6 to Birmingham and back. No air service on that (used to be, long ago). It rained all the way there and most of the way back, in peak traffic both ways. It remains to be seen, but may be making a more interesting flight later this week.
Q2
. Moving on to June 1980, the flags are out again at LGW to welcome another U.S. carrier, this time flying from the north east U.S. Name the U.S. departure airport, airline and equipment used.
I think this would be World, operating from Gatwick to Boston, and then onward to Baltimore, with a DC-10. Like every other former US charter carrier attempt at transatlantic schedules, it didn't last too long.

Pan Am - operating an L-1011-500 from Gatwick to Houston to Mexico City.
Just a comment, but at this time I believe the BA flight to Mexico was still operating the "old" way, from Heathrow via Bermuda and Nassau, not touching the USA, and thus not subject to the restrictions on which destinations could be operated from Heathrow.
Old Jan 15, 18, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
Just recovering with a pleasant drink from a day return trip by M25/M1/M6 to Birmingham and back. No air service on that (used to be, long ago). It rained all the way there and most of the way back, in peak traffic both ways. It remains to be seen, but may be making a more interesting flight later this week.
[B]
I think this would be World, operating from Gatwick to Boston, and then onward to Baltimore, with a DC-10. Like every other former US charter carrier attempt at transatlantic schedules, it didn't last too long.
Partially correct - BOS is the U.S. port I had in mind. Please try again for the airline and equipment.
World Airways did fly DC-10s on scheduled service to LGW; I believe it was direct to Baltimore BWI as some friends of mine took that route once.

KT
Old Jan 15, 18, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA
Hmmm ... I recall that Northwest also had a shot at London to Boston around this time, as well as from Prestwick, with 747s. Possibly them.
Old Jan 15, 18, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
Hmmm ... I recall that Northwest also had a shot at London to Boston around this time, as well as from Prestwick, with 747s. Possibly them.
Correct. Northwest with Boeing 747-100s.

I'll try and dig up a few more questions.
Old Jan 15, 18, 4:57 pm

It's October 1986 and I took a three week trip to the U.S. mainly to visit aviation museums and other sites of aeronautical interest, as well as to fly in aircraft types that weren't available so easily (or inexpensively) back home in the U.K.

At that time, Delta Air Lines offered non residents their "Travel America Standby Air Travel USA" ticket which gave 30 days unlimited standby travel in the continental U.S. for the tiny price of $379. The 60 day ticket was only $449 - if only I'd had more time.

After the PeopleExpress 747 landed at EWR and I'd had my Delta ticket validated, first priority was to get on a DC-8 to Atlanta. It was "only" a re-engined series 71 but one can't be too choosy when you've left it until 1986 to get a DC-8 ride.
Over the three weeks I clocked up 42 segments on 11 different types, 7 of which I hadn't flown in before. Not bad for $9 a flight.

Here are a few questions that relate to that trip in October 1986:

Q4. I took a Delta Connection flight from Dallas/Ft. Worth to Wichita Falls (SPS). Name the airline and aircraft type. - ANSWERED

Q5. Which U.K. built aircraft type did I fly on from Atlanta with the locally based Delta Connection carrier? - ANSWERED.

Q6. I flew from Chicago ORD to Milwaukee MKE on a Delta Connection turbo prop. Name the airline and type. - ANSWERED

Q7. I flew from Atlanta to Huntsville, AL on a four engined turbo prop. Name the airline and type. - ANSWERED.

KT

Last edited by KT550; Jan 17, 18 at 3:35 am Reason: all now answered
Old Jan 15, 18, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by KT550 View Post
October 1986:
Q7. I flew from Atlanta to Huntsville, AL on a four engined turbo prop. Name the airline and type.
Q7- this would have been Atlantic Southeast Airlines (ASA) operating an ATR-72
Old Jan 15, 18, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post

Q7- this would have been Atlantic Southeast Airlines (ASA) operating an ATR-72
Atlantic Southeast Airlines is correct but the ATR-72 hadn't been invented plus my bird had four engines
Old Jan 15, 18, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by KT550 View Post
Atlantic Southeast Airlines is correct but the ATR-72 hadn't been invented plus my bird had four engines
cant believe i screwed that up ... de Havilland Canada DHC-7
Old Jan 15, 18, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post

cant believe i screwed that up ... de Havilland Canada DHC-7
Correct - A.S.A. and DHC-7
Old Jan 16, 18, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Q5. Which U.K. built aircraft type did I fly on from Atlanta with the locally based Delta Connection carrier?

I have a postcard of an Atlantic Southeast (titled ASA in the orange/yellow colors) Shorts aircraft of one type or another. Sorry, when it comes to propeller driven aircraft of less than 40-50 seats, I'm pretty clueless. I collect airline postcards and it just so happened I was loading some new postcards last month and as I paged through my Delta binder to install a new Delta Connection ERJ-170 I paged through the Delta Connection pages and noted some of the Atlantic Southeast aircraft. The Shorts stood out for its odd fuselage shape. I'm surprised I remember it as I have about 100-125 postcards of Delta dating back to the C&S days. Anyway, uh... a Shorts 3 something or other. I probably need a little help here...

As to your Delta standby pass - that was indeed a sweet deal. Back in the late seventies, Braniff used to offer a visit USA pass that included an option to do it all in First Class. I really wanted to take advantage of it but travel had to originate and end outside of North America. And of course there were those marvelous Unlimited Mileage Fares - available to US residents but I should imagine also available to those residing abroad. Eastern, Delta, US Air and Air Atlanta come to mind as well as Pan Am operating over the limited route network it inherited in the National merger.
Old Jan 16, 18, 3:58 am

Q4. Rio was the DL connection carrier at Dallas at this time. I believe they flew Twin Otters and Dash 7s; I'll guess you flew a Twin Otter to SPS.
Old Jan 16, 18, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
Q5. Which U.K. built aircraft type did I fly on from Atlanta with the locally based Delta Connection carrier?

I have a postcard of an Atlantic Southeast (titled ASA in the orange/yellow colors) Shorts aircraft of one type or another. Sorry, when it comes to propeller driven aircraft of less than 40-50 seats, I'm pretty clueless. I collect airline postcards and it just so happened I was loading some new postcards last month and as I paged through my Delta binder to install a new Delta Connection ERJ-170 I paged through the Delta Connection pages and noted some of the Atlantic Southeast aircraft. The Shorts stood out for its odd fuselage shape. I'm surprised I remember it as I have about 100-125 postcards of Delta dating back to the C&S days. Anyway, uh... a Shorts 3 something or other. I probably need a little help here...

As to your Delta standby pass - that was indeed a sweet deal. Back in the late seventies, Braniff used to offer a visit USA pass that included an option to do it all in First Class. I really wanted to take advantage of it but travel had to originate and end outside of North America. And of course there were those marvelous Unlimited Mileage Fares - available to US residents but I should imagine also available to those residing abroad. Eastern, Delta, US Air and Air Atlanta come to mind as well as Pan Am operating over the limited route network it inherited in the National merger.
ASA Shorts 360 is correct. They were former Wright Airlines machines (Cleveland, OH).

Friends of mine made a trip all round South America in the late 70s on a Braniff ticket, so was probably the mileage ticket you mention. The dollar/pound exchange rate was well over $2 for a pound then, so made it a very cheap trip.
Old Jan 16, 18, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by JoeDTW View Post
Q4. Rio was the DL connection carrier at Dallas at this time. I believe they flew Twin Otters and Dash 7s; I'll guess you flew a Twin Otter to SPS.
Rio Airways is correct but not a Twin Otter. I believe the Dash 7s were out of service by this time as we saw them parked at DAL. No sign of any Twin Otters either.
Please try again for the aircraft type.
Old Jan 16, 18, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Q4- were Rio’s Beech 99s still around in 1986? if not, I’ll guess they had graduated to the 1900

Search this Thread
Search Engine: