Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
38- for lack of a better approach I will go north to south and speculate that the last stop was PHL
38. Keep moving!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
38. Keep moving!
​​​​​​38- lol ... BWI would be next
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

​​​​​​38- lol ... BWI would be next
38. Bingo! Here's the sched....

DL 536: Las Vegas (LAS) 10:35a - 2:50p Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) 3:46p - 4:30p Shreveport (SHV) 4:55p - 5:33p Baton Rouge (BTR) 5:58p - 8:07p Atlanta (ATL) 9:12p - 10:40p Baltimore (BWI) 11:05p - 11:56p Hartford/Springfield (BDL)
Op: Daily
Equip: B727-200
Note: Royal Service in F with lunch LAS-DFW, snack BTR-ATL
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

28. Fill in the blank concerning this 1969 airline print ad:

New jets: fast, frisky comfortable Boeing 737's coming soon! New attitudes and service that say "something sharp has happened at ____(airline)______" ANSWERED

35. It's 1982 and you have thoroughly enjoyed a NASA symposium at the Johnson Space Center in Houston. Now it's time to travel to New York City on business. There's a flight departing from the airport closest to the space center at 11:40 am which will get you into New York LaGuardia at 7:00 pm. This service makes three stops en route and you will be served dinner on the last leg. Name the airport you will be departing from, the air carrier, all three stops in order and the aircraft type.

The next two quiz items both have a time line of 1984......

39. This airline was operating a direct flight once a week from Santo Domingo in the D.R. to Chicago with two stops being made en route. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft type.

41. At this time, this airline was operating two departures a day from Phoenix nonstop to Reno. One flight operated daily and the other flight operated four days a week. Different aircraft types were operated these flights. Identify the air carrier and both aircraft. ANSWERED
Just four two more to go........

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 13, 2018 at 6:56 am Reason: "answered" update
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
New jets: fast, frisky comfortable Boeing 737's coming soon! New attitudes and service that say "something sharp has happened at ____(airline)______"

I'm working on the premise that this is a U.S. airline... I know that hometown airline Frontier (I grew up in Colorado) flew 727s (100s and 200s) for awhile before switching over to 737s. Let's go with FL on this one.

41. At this time (1984), this airline was operating two departures a day from Phoenix nonstop to Reno. One flight operated daily and the other flight operated four days a week. Different aircraft types were operated these flights. Identify the air carrier and both aircraft.

I want to say America West but I seem to recall Eastern having some odd add on legs out west. I flew two Unlimited Mileage Fares on Eastern and often perused its timetables in anticipation of another. Hope I'm right here... Eastern. 727-100 and 727-200. Final answer.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
New jets: fast, frisky comfortable Boeing 737's coming soon! New attitudes and service that say "something sharp has happened at ____(airline)______"

I'm working on the premise that this is a U.S. airline... I know that hometown airline Frontier (I grew up in Colorado) flew 727s (100s and 200s) for awhile before switching over to 737s. Let's go with FL on this one.

41. At this time (1984), this airline was operating two departures a day from Phoenix nonstop to Reno. One flight operated daily and the other flight operated four days a week. Different aircraft types were operated these flights. Identify the air carrier and both aircraft.

I want to say America West but I seem to recall Eastern having some odd add on legs out west. I flew two Unlimited Mileage Fares on Eastern and often perused its timetables in anticipation of another. Hope I'm right here... Eastern. 727-100 and 727-200. Final answer.
28. Great guess! And you are on the right track with your observations.....however, it wasn't Frontier. But it was a U.S. air carrier.

41. You have guessed one of the aircraft correctly: the B727-200. Alas, it wasn't Eastern......or America West.

Please guess again, sir!

And our interesting weather continues in southern Louisiana.....outside air temp currently in the mid 70s F with scattered showers in the area . A strong Canadian cold front should move across our region this evening possibly producing a thunderstorm squall line. And by Saturday morning we may see temps down in the mid to upper 20s F. Our fireplace is once again in the standby mode with a fresh load of firewood at the ready.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

Okay, so we know it's a U.S. airline... Let's go to your old backyard and try out Air California

PHX to RNO with a 727-200 amongst other aircraft... Republic sounds like a good possibility with the other aircraft being a DC-9 of some sort - let's say a -30.

Before flying home to Alaska yesterday, I checked out the forecast which called for nighttime temperatures of about -19°F. The captain advised arrival temps would be -15°F. Okay... pretty standard this time of year. When we arrived I stepped outside and... it was downright pleasant! The temperature was 2°F. Right on! Just a few minutes ago I stepped outside to plug in my truck and it's currently -17°F. Go figure. (We're typically about 10 degrees colder than Fairbanks city out here in the forests... BTW, in Colorado on Tuesday the temperature rose to a balmy 68°.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 11, 2018 at 2:34 pm
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay, so we know it's a U.S. airline... Let's go to your old backyard and try out Air California

PHX to RNO with a 727-200 amongst other aircraft... Republic sounds like a good possibility with the other aircraft being a DC-9 of some sort - let's say a -30.

Before flying home to Alaska yesterday, I checked out the forecast which called for nighttime temperatures of about -19°F. The captain advised arrival temps would be -15°F. Okay... pretty standard this time of year. When we arrived I stepped outside and... it was downright pleasant! The temperature was 2°F. Right on! Just a few minutes ago I stepped outside to plug in my truck and it's currently -17°F. Go figure. (We're typically about 10 degrees colder than Fairbanks city out here in the forests... BTW, in Colorado on Tuesday the temperature rose to a balmy 68°.
28. Ah, no, it wasn't Air California.....but you are getting closer!

41. Yet another great guess! However, it wasn't Republic and the other aircraft wasn't a DC-9-30....or a DC-9 of any type.

Give it another shot or two there, Seat 2A!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Seat 2A;29280791]28. Fill in the blank concerning this 1969 airline print ad:

Getting closer, eh... as in moving westward? From California it's across the Pacific to Hawaii so let's try Aloha's 737 "Funjets"

No DC-9s of any stripe? Hmm... and one of the aircraft was a 727-200... Wien used to come down to PHX from SLC but I don't recall anywhere else. I'm still thinking add-on leg, so let's go with American, the other aircraft being a 727-100
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA
... beaten to it.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=Seat 2A;29281039]

Getting closer, eh... as in moving westward? From California it's across the Pacific to Hawaii so let's try Aloha's 737 "Funjets"

No DC-9s of any stripe? Hmm... and one of the aircraft was a 727-200... Wien used to come down to PHX from SLC but I don't recall anywhere else. I'm still thinking add-on leg, so let's go with American, the other aircraft being a 727-100
28. Ah, I meant you were getting closer to the correct answer! And I would execute a 180 degree turn and head back to the west coast!

41. Nope, it wasn't American and a B727-100 was not in the mix. However, I have to say that you are very close here!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
28- if I recall correctly, PSA briefly operated 737s ...

Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

28- if I recall correctly, PSA briefly operated 737s ...
28. Yep, they sure did.....but the air carrier in question wasn't Pacific Southwest Airlines.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Nope, it wasn't American and a B727-100 was not in the mix. However, I have to say that you are very close here!

Wien Air Alaska? If yes, I don't even remember them flying to Reno. I do remember SLC-PHX service. But let's go with Wien - as good a guess as any at this point - and it is indeed a guess. Aircraft would be the afore-verified 727-200 and a... 737-200.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Test post as I am continuing to experience computer difficulties......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.