Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Jun 25, 12, 11:45 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
This service by an apparent third version of National Airlines really surprised me. I think we are all aware of the original National Airlines which was based in Florida and also the subsequent "Las Vegas" version which was based at LAS ........However, I was not aware of this version of National which flew D9S and M80 equipment and was based in Atlanta
Don't forget a FOURTH version of National Airlines, which was the previous Overseas National, renamed with the name bought from Pan Am, which operated DC8 charters in 1983-85 (when they went under). They used to turn up at London Gatwick from time to time, just at the end of the era of transatlantic charters. Like most US commercial charter flights over to Europe they were generally arranged around otherwise empty legs of US military charters to Germany and elsewhere.

Braniff came round multiple times as well. Is there some shortage of airline names in the USA ? !!
Old Jun 26, 12, 12:59 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
Delta bought the 21-strong almost-new A310 fleet from the last remnants of Pan Am in 1991, which only lasted for a couple of years before being disposed. Strangely, they then bought 9 more brand-new A310s from Airbus as partial replacements, and then a couple of years later sold those as well.
I recall flying on a DL A310, from JFK to LAX in 1992. The plane originally departed from FRA, so the JFK to LAX segment was the continuation of the flight number and same aircraft. There were a few bi-lingual announcements made in German and English onboard. The FAs were all DL FAs and not former PA FAs. The seats in Y still had ash trays, as many seats did back then, with some arabic writing on them, giving you clues as to where the plane was in service before.

The moving on of the Delta DC10s to United was lined up from the beginning, and the five aircraft were ordered from McDD by United and leased to Delta, presumably with some if/when we decide clause that allowed Delta to determine how they would be handed back, if ever, as the order was placed at the height of the Tristar/Rolls-Royce development crisis. They actually stayed in service for quite some time after the Tristars began to finally show up.
Don't forget that DL had a second wave of DC-10s after their L-1011s went into service. DL bought Western Airlines (WA) around 1987, inheriting their former aircraft. Shortly after the merger, I flew on DL from HNL to LAX. The plane was a DC-10 still in WA livery, where none of the markings had changed. Flight crews were all DL.
Old Jun 26, 12, 1:11 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
It's interesting to see how equipment moves around within the airline industry.

And I also think that some of these AA operated DC-10s may have then been subsequently flown by Hawaiian but am not sure with regard to specific aircraft.
I rode on HA's DC-10s (formerly AA) several times in and out of HNL. HA had a bunch of them, which served as an interim widebody fleet after retiring their L-1011s and before they took delivery of 767-300ERs in 2001. HA kept AA's red, white and blue cheat line on the fuselage and replaced the airline name with theirs and also replaced the AA logo with the Pualani symbol on the plane's tail. The bare metal fuselage and tail were still used.
Old Jun 26, 12, 8:46 am

Programs: Once again lowly AA Gold. Lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios + some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by cs57 View Post
Using "timetableimages.com.timages/5j.htm" I found service that jlemon talks about. It seems that "Private Jet" operated service from ATL to MDW and MIA, and MDW to MIA. Their logo was "the personal,affordable airline".
Interesting! The timetable shown does not show the less than daily service to DFW and Virgin Islands service that jlemon indicates, as the above timetable image is from August, 1993
I found the National (5J) schedule info referenced in my above post in the Sept. 15, 1994 edition of the OAG.

I think this version of National may have been actually operated by Southeast Airlines as there is a reference in the Wikipedia article concerning the original NA that states "National's Sun King logo was sold and repackaged to appear upon the branding of low cost startup carrier Southeast Airlines" (or something to that effect).

And I've now found a FIFTH version of National Airlines and this is one appears to be currently in operation. This latest version of National is based at the Willow Run Airport in Ypsilanti, MI and operates B747-400 cargo aircraft as well as B757-200 passenger aircraft. This charter airline is also attempting to have Combi version of the B757-200 certified and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of National Air Cargo Holdings, Inc.

So to answer your question, WHBM, it appears we like to "recycle" our airline names on this side of the pond!

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 26, 12 at 9:15 am
Old Jun 26, 12, 8:52 am

Programs: Once again lowly AA Gold. Lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios + some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Actually, she is heading to New Orleans and she didn't go to Florida. Please followed the website at:

https://secure.www.stormpulse.com/products/atlantic
Fortunately, this forecast proved to be incorrect and New Orleans did not even receive one drop of rain from Tropical Storm Debby, which is now expected to make landfall in Florida in a day or two.

Unfortunately, the panhandle of Florida is getting absolutely inundated by this storm and they are now measuring the rainfall in feet in some locations.....not to mention the tornadoes spawned earlier by Debby in central and southern Florida which resulted in the death of at least one person who was apparently trying to protect her child.

Very hard to predict just where these tropical weather systems will go when the steering wind currents aloft are weak.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 26, 12 at 9:19 am
Old Jun 26, 12, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Up here in Alaska, fire is currently the problem. There's a 25000 acre fire burning just up the road, just a mile from a couple of friends' homes. The view is a little smoky at present...

Speaking of fire, a huge THANK YOU to all of you for keeping the flame of this thread burning brightly.

Good News! I just won my bid for a January 1st, 1973 North American OAG on Ebay. $51.00 and worth every penny! I'm also keeping an eye out for a mid-late 80s OAG reflecting some of the short lived carriers that sprung up after deregulation. Looking forward to submitting more questions

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 29, 12 at 3:49 am
Old Jun 29, 12, 6:52 pm

Well, one would never know that we may have a tropical storm heading our way here in LFT what with our current WX conditions: partly cloudy and breezy with the outside air temp already at 90 degrees F (and it's not even noon yet).

So as we await impending tropical weather developments, how about some more questions?

1) In the late winter of 1976, Williamsport, PA (IPT) had scheduled passenger jet service. Name the airline that provided this service and the two (2) different jet aircraft types used at this time.

2) In the mid 70's, TWA served exactly one city in the state of Texas. Name the destination.

3) In the fall of 1994, one could fly nonstop between Chico, CA (CIC) and Klamath Falls, OR (LMT). There was actually a choice of two (2) airlines on this route. Name the actual airlines that provided this service, both of which used the two letter codes of their larger partners and also identify their larger partners as well as the type of equipment flown on the route.

4) Back in the mid 90's, if you wanted to fly on an Airbus A310 nonstop between Cincinnati (CVG) and New York (JFK), what airline would you travel on?

5) In September of 1994, three (3) airlines provided nonstop jet service between Atlanta (ATL) and Chicago Midway (MDW). Name the air carriers and the equipment they operated on the route.
Time to answer the final question here on a Friday evening, being 3) above....

And yes, it is a rather obscure question but I think you'll find the answer to be somewhat interesting, especially if you remember a certain airline that flew interisland in Hawaii in the past......

The first of the two regional air carriers was WestAir operating as United Express (UA*). Service was up to three times per day on a routing of SFO-CIC-LMT. No surprises here: WestAir was simply providing feed traffic for the long time United hub at SFO via a code sharing arrangement.

The second carrier was Mid Pacific Air operating a Reno Air feeder service with the two letter code QQ*. Service was also up to three times a day on a routing of SJC-CIC-LMT. Back at this time, Reno Air was trying to establish a small hub at SJC utilizing their MD-80 series aircraft (for example, they were competing with Alaska Air at this time SJC-SEA and SJC-PDX as AS was the only other carrier serving these routes back in the fall of 1994).

But Reno Air was also essentially competing with the much larger UA hub just to their north at SFO. And so they did a code sharing deal with Mid Pacific for turboprop feed to and from smaller cities such as ACV, RDD and STS (Sonoma County wine country!) in addition to CIC and LMT.

Many of you will remember Mid Pacific Air for their interisland service in Hawaii with YS-11 turboprops and later on with F-28 jets. It appears this was Mid Pacific's only foray into scheduled passenger operations on the mainland, albeit via a code sharing agreement (although I remember seeing a photo of a Mid Pacific YS-11 at, of all places, San Luis Obispo - the aircraft was apparently at SBP on a charter).

And WestAir and Mid Pacific also operated the same aircraft type for their respective code share feeder services: the BAe Jetstream 31.

Hope everyone has a fine weekend! More quiz questions to follow!
Old Jun 29, 12, 7:32 pm

Weekend challenges

OK, we're in London. It's a Friday in the summer 1980 and we're off on some little trips somewhere.

If we're in the oil or helicopter industry we might be off to Aberdeen. British Airways will take us there from Heathrow on a schedule similar to todays. But we could also go from London Gatwick. Which airline ?

Sabena of Belgium will take us to Brussels in a 737. But where else will their 737s take us nonstop, three times today ?

Who had a one-stop 747 service to Honolulu ?

There was a multiple daily service to the nearest airport in France. Which airport, airline, aircraft type ?

Who was operating DC10s London to New York ?

Flights to Singapore were beyond nonstop range in those days, they all stopped along the way. Who had the fastest overall flight, and how did they achieve it ?

Finnair had two flights to Helsinki with two different aircraft types. Which ones ?

I can take a flight to Baltimore which stops over in Boston. Which airline and aircraft ?

Which airline has three DC8-63 flights out of Heathrow on this day ?
Old Jun 29, 12, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
OK, we're in London. It's a Friday in the summer 1980 and we're off on some little trips somewhere.
Wild guesses (including the Jameson effect):

If we're in the oil or helicopter industry we might be off to Aberdeen. British Airways will take us there from Heathrow on a schedule similar to todays. But we could also go from London Gatwick. Which airline ?
Dan-Air

Sabena of Belgium will take us to Brussels in a 737. But where else will their 737s take us nonstop, three times today ?
Dublin

Who had a one-stop 747 service to Honolulu ?
Air New Zealand

There was a multiple daily service to the nearest airport in France. Which airport, airline, aircraft type ?
Le Touquet, BUA, Viscount

Who was operating DC10s London to New York ?
Laker

Flights to Singapore were beyond nonstop range in those days, they all stopped along the way. Who had the fastest overall flight, and how did they achieve it ?
Singapore International, Concorde

Finnair had two flights to Helsinki with two different aircraft types. Which ones ?
DC-9, Caravelle

I can take a flight to Baltimore which stops over in Boston. Which airline and aircraft ?
TWA L-1011

Which airline has three DC8-63 flights out of Heathrow on this day ?
KLM
Old Jun 30, 12, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Wally Bird View Post
Wild guesses (including the Jameson effect):
5 out of 9 . Good start. I'd blame the Jamie's for the rest !
Old Jun 30, 12, 10:01 am

5 out of 9 . Good start. I'd blame the Jamie's for the rest !
Ah, but what were the correct answers?!

P.S. - Back in the day on DL, I remember "the Johnny Walker Black effect".......

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 30, 12 at 10:12 am Reason: The Johnny Walker Black Effect
Old Jun 30, 12, 10:57 am

As we await additional answers for WHBM's excellent set of questions, I'll submit a few more quiz items on this beautiful Saturday morning....

1) Back in 1981, how many jet aircraft did Alaska Airlines operate in their fleet?

2) Provide a domestic U.S. route example flown by Delta with B747-100 equipment.

3) Provide a domestic U.S. route example flown by Eastern with B747-100 equipment.

4) Provide a domestic U.S. route example flown by TWA with B747-100 equipment.

5) Name an airline that operated nonstop service between Eureka/Arcata (ACV) and Redding (RDD) in California.

6) What Central American airline flew nonstop between Santo Domingo (SDQ) and San Juan (SJU)?

7) Back in the late summer of 1994, what airline flew nonstop between Santo Domingo (SDQ) and Miami (MIA) with Lockheed L-1011 equipment?

8) Also back in the late summer of 1994, if you wanted to travel direct with no change of plane from Omaha (OMA) to Acapulco (ACA), what airline would you fly on? Also name the aircraft type this airline operated on this routing.

9) And once again back in the late summer of 1994, name the only airline that flew nonstop jet service between San Diego (SAN) and Tucson (TUS). Also name the aircraft type operated on the route.

10) What airline provided an essentially all business class type of seating layout (2-2 seating) on their jet aircraft service between San Diego (SAN) and Los Angeles (LAX)? Also name the aircraft type operated (hint: this was not a regional jet).

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 30, 12 at 11:05 am Reason: Hint for question 10)
Old Jun 30, 12, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Lille (Lesquin Airport)
TAT, operated with Air France livery
Fokker F28
flight operated from Heathrow-Lille-Strasbourg

I took that flight before
Old Jun 30, 12, 5:14 pm
Suspended

1) Back in 1981, how many jet aircraft did Alaska Airlines operate in their fleet?

4) Provide a domestic U.S. route example flown by TWA with B747-100 equipment.
1) more than 1. Ok, wiseguy answer. 23?
4)SFO-JFK
I flew this on a TWA 747-100 before
Old Jun 30, 12, 5:17 pm
Suspended

I'll assume that at least one answer is correct so:

next:

What airlines flew from London to St. Louis in the mid-1980's?

Search this Thread