Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Jun 24, 12, 10:34 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
Good news here is that NHC does not think Debby will strengthen to a hurricane before making landfall.

However, we are watching her real close here in LFT......
Thanks -- I have WWL weather radar on my laptop and am also keeping a close watch up here in YVR.
Old Jun 24, 12, 10:54 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Well, one would never know that we may have a tropical storm heading our way here in LFT what with our current WX conditions: partly cloudy and breezy with the outside air temp already at 90 degrees F (and it's not even noon yet).

So as we await impending tropical weather developments, how about some more questions?

1) In the late winter of 1976, Williamsport, PA (IPT) had scheduled passenger jet service. Name the airline that provided this service and the two (2) different jet aircraft types used at this time.

2) In the mid 70's, TWA served exactly one city in the state of Texas. Name the destination.

3) In the fall of 1994, one could fly nonstop between Chico, CA (CIC) and Klamath Falls, OR (LMT). There was actually a choice of two (2) airlines on this route. Name the actual airlines that provided this service, both of which used the two letter codes of their larger partners and also identify their larger partners as well as the type of equipment flown on the route.

4) Back in the mid 90's, if you wanted to fly on an Airbus A310 nonstop between Cincinnati (CVG) and New York (JFK), what airline would you travel on?

5) In September of 1994, three (3) airlines provided nonstop jet service between Atlanta (ATL) and Chicago Midway (MDW). Name the air carriers and the equipment they operated on the route.
Old Jun 24, 12, 10:56 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by miniliq View Post
Thanks -- I have WWL weather radar on my laptop and am also keeping a close watch up here in YVR.
Just watched the tropical update on The Weather Channel......

They now think that TS Debby will possibly make landfall in Florida.
Old Jun 24, 12, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Just watched the tropical update on The Weather Channel......

They now think that TS Debby will possibly make landfall in Florida.
Actually, she is heading to New Orleans and she didn't go to Florida. Please followed the website at:

https://secure.www.stormpulse.com/products/atlantic
Old Jun 24, 12, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Actually, she is heading to New Orleans and she didn't go to Florida. Please followed the website at:

https://secure.www.stormpulse.com/products/atlantic
Thanks for the excellent link!

Other forecast tracks have Debby making landfall just east of the Houston-Galveston area or somewhere in the Florida panhandle.

Another possibility is she'll become nearly stationary and just spin for awhile. And if that scenario occurs, she may strengthen.

One thing is for sure: there continues to be quite a bit of uncertainty with regard to just where she'll end up.....

I think we may just have to wait and see at this point. But based on the forecast track you were kind enough to provide as well as the advisories I'm getting from the NWS office located at LCH, we are now making some preparations here should she head our way.
Old Jun 24, 12, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA
1) In the late winter of 1976, Williamsport, PA (IPT) had scheduled passenger jet service. Name the airline that provided this service and the two (2) different jet aircraft types used at this time.
Allegheny. DC9 and One-Eleven.

2) In the mid 70's, TWA served exactly one city in the state of Texas. Name the destination. Amarillo

4) Back in the mid 90's, if you wanted to fly on an Airbus A310 nonstop between Cincinnati (CVG) and New York (JFK), what airline would you travel on? Delta
Old Jun 24, 12, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
Allegheny. DC9 and One-Eleven.

2) In the mid 70's, TWA served exactly one city in the state of Texas. Name the destination. Amarillo

4) Back in the mid 90's, if you wanted to fly on an Airbus A310 nonstop between Cincinnati (CVG) and New York (JFK), what airline would you travel on? Delta
Correct on all counts, sir!

1) Typical AL DC-9-30 routing was ORD-PIT-IPT-BGM-JFK while the BAC One-Eleven routing was JFK-UCA-ITH-IPT-PIT-CLE-DAY-IND at this time.

2) Jet aircraft used by TWA into AMA included the B727-200 and earlier the Convair 880. AMA tended to be a stop on east coast (NYC or PHL) to west coast (LAX) and v.v. routings with the service also including a stop at ICT as well as other cities such as ABQ, MCI and ORD.

4) I believe Delta "inherited" several A310s from Pan Am following the acquisition by DL of several PA international routes.
Old Jun 24, 12, 5:00 pm

Programs: All of them!
1994 MDW/ATL--

Kiwi using 727-200s
Valujet using DC9-30
Midway using DC9-30*

* I may be incorrect!
Old Jun 24, 12, 11:50 pm

2) Jet aircraft used by TWA into AMA included the B727-200 and earlier the Convair 880. AMA tended to be a stop on east coast (NYC or PHL) to west coast (LAX) and v.v. routings with the service also including a stop at ICT as well as other cities such as ABQ, MCI and ORD.
TWA's stop points across The West had become fossilised since pre-war days, when they were points along a single line and a single air mail route served by DC2s. Here's a route map for them from summer 1941; the same points across the western USA were pretty much intact in 1971. It was a mail route that appears to have been designed to shadow the main Santa Fe railroad.

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...w41/tw41-1.jpg

4) I believe Delta "inherited" several A310s from Pan Am following the acquisition by DL of several PA international routes.
Delta bought the 21-strong almost-new A310 fleet from the last remnants of Pan Am in 1991, which only lasted for a couple of years before being disposed. Strangely, they then bought 9 more brand-new A310s from Airbus as partial replacements, and then a couple of years later sold those as well.
Old Jun 25, 12, 7:09 am

TWA's stop points across The West had become fossilised since pre-war days, when they were points along a single line and a single air mail route served by DC2s. Here's a route map for them from summer 1941; the same points across the western USA were pretty much intact in 1971. It was a mail route that appears to have been designed to shadow the main Santa Fe railroad.

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...w41/tw41-1.jpg

Delta bought the 21-strong almost-new A310 fleet from the last remnants of Pan Am in 1991, which only lasted for a couple of years before being disposed. Strangely, they then bought 9 more brand-new A310s from Airbus as partial replacements, and then a couple of years later sold those as well.
Very interesting concerning TWA's "legacy" routes between the midwest and the west coast!

And with regard to Delta, quite interesting as well concerning the total number of A310 aircraft operated by the carrier.

With regard to wide body or twin aisle aircraft, I believe DL also operated the B747-100, B767-200 (such as the "Spirit of Delta", the acquisition of which I think was funded by the employees), DC-10 and L-1011 (including the long range -500 model) in addition the A310. I also believe that DL's DC-10 acquisition was an interim step meant to bridge a capacity gap due to L-1011 delivery delays. As soon as the L-1011 finally became available, DL then disposed of their DC-10s.

Of course, these days wide body or twin aisle aircraft operated by DL include the A330 (ex-NW), B747-400 (ex-NW as well), B767-300 and B767-400 (DL was one of only two carriers to order the 764, the other airline being CO).

BTW, here in LFT, DL Connection recently began replacing CRJ-200 frequencies to and from ATL with CRJ-700 service featuring a first class cabin and expanded legroom in the front of the coach section. This is the first time we've had the option of flying first class from LFT since CO pulled their 733 and 735 service to and from IAH some years ago.
Old Jun 25, 12, 8:55 am

I also believe that DL's DC-10 acquisition was an interim step meant to bridge a capacity gap due to L-1011 delivery delays. As soon as the L-1011 finally became available, DL then disposed of their DC-10s.
The moving on of the Delta DC10s to United was lined up from the beginning, and the five aircraft were ordered from McDD by United and leased to Delta, presumably with some if/when we decide clause that allowed Delta to determine how they would be handed back, if ever, as the order was placed at the height of the Tristar/Rolls-Royce development crisis. They actually stayed in service for quite some time after the Tristars began to finally show up.
Old Jun 25, 12, 10:04 am

The moving on of the Delta DC10s to United was lined up from the beginning, and the five aircraft were ordered from McDD by United and leased to Delta, presumably with some if/when we decide clause that allowed Delta to determine how they would be handed back, if ever, as the order was placed at the height of the Tristar/Rolls-Royce development crisis. They actually stayed in service for quite some time after the Tristars began to finally show up.
It's interesting to see how equipment moves around within the airline industry.

Back when I lived in SBA, a number of Pan Am DC-10s were cycled through the large aviation maintenance facility located on the airfield at the time on their way to American. I believe a number of these DC-10s were originally operated by National. And I also think that some of these AA operated DC-10s may have then been subsequently flown by Hawaiian but am not sure with regard to specific aircraft.

Speaking of aircraft previously flown by another operator, we have a FedEx MD-11 sitting on the ramp this morning just down the taxiway from my office here at ARA getting ready for a ferry flight back to MEM after emerging from the AvEx paint hangar over the weekend. It would be interesting to know the history of this aircraft!
Old Jun 25, 12, 10:12 am

It would be interesting to know the history of this aircraft!
Far and away the best resource for the complete history of any mainstream jet and commuter aircraft is here :

http://www.planelist.net/types.html

Each type will download an Excel spreadsheet in Zipfile format, showing the complete history of each aircraft. It's updated every month for every type.
Old Jun 25, 12, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by cs57 View Post
1994 MDW/ATL--

Kiwi using 727-200s
Valujet using DC9-30
Midway using DC9-30*

* I may be incorrect!
And the answers are.....

1) Kiwi International (KP) with up to three nonstops per day flown with B727-200 equipment (routing example - KP 58: MDW-ATL-SJU).

2) Valujet (J7) with up to four nonstops per day flown with DC-9-30 equipment.

3) National Airlines (!) (5J) with service six days a week flown with a mix of DC-9-30 and MD-80 equipment (routing example: 5J 901: MDW-ATL-STT-STX flown with an MD-80 on Mondays and Fridays only. Also 5J 903: MDW-ATL-DFW flown with a DC-9-30 on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays only. The other flight, 5J 825, only operated on Thursdays MDW-ATL with a DC-9-30).

This service by an apparent third version of National Airlines really surprised me. I think we are all aware of the original National Airlines which was based in Florida and also the subsequent "Las Vegas" version which was based at LAS and flew B757-200 aircraft (an old friend of mine flew the 757 as an FO with them).

However, I was not aware of this version of National which flew D9S and M80 equipment and was based in Atlanta according to the corporate office address listed in the Sept. 15, 1994 edition of the OAG! Anyone have any intel concerning this?

Anyway, hats off to cs57 for getting two of the three answers correct!
Old Jun 25, 12, 7:11 pm

Programs: All of them!
Using "timetableimages.com.timages/5j.htm" I found service that jlemon talks about. It seems that "Private Jet" operated service from ATL to MDW and MIA, and MDW to MIA. Their logo was "the personal,affordable airline".
Interesting! The timetable shown does not show the less than daily service to DFW and Virgin Islands service that jlemon indicates, as the above timetable image is from August, 1993

Last edited by cs57; Jun 25, 12 at 7:21 pm Reason: clarification

Search this Thread
Search Engine: