Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Jun 18, 12, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Isn't western India fairly dry and desert-like?

These questions remain unanswered. I'll come back tonight or tomorrow (internet connection depending) and provide the answers to any still unanswered.

7. What airlines’ reservation offices sold tickets in its 45 cities via teletype for the St. Louis Cardinals, Chicago White Sox and Chicago Cubs baseball teams and NFL Chicago Cardinals and Bears?

8. What was the first U.S. airline to schedule all jets on its flights?

9. What two U.S. airlines acquired and used the National Airlines “Sun King” logo? One used the logo on its pilot wings and badges while the other employed it on its aircraft tails.
Old Jun 18, 12, 11:16 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
8. What was the first U.S. airline to schedule all jets on its flights?.
Trans Caribbean ? They were officially regarded as a US trunk carrier despite a small fleet, and must have been changed over to their DC8s by the mid-1960s. Alternatively I'll go for Panagra, the last of the prop aircraft gone by the same period.

BOAC also withdrew their last prop aircraft, Britannias, from schedules by mid 1966 as the first VC-10s came along (they lasted a bit longer on charters, principally to the US),so a bit of a race from over here for who was first.

Last edited by WHBM; Jun 18, 12 at 11:22 am
Old Jun 18, 12, 12:04 pm

Programs: All of them!
8) TWA gets my vote as the first "all jet" airline.
Old Jun 18, 12, 12:53 pm

Here's the Panagra timetable for summer 1966, all jet. At this stage TWA still was running Constellations.

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...g66/pg66-2.jpg
Old Jun 19, 12, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
WHBM, you da man! Panagra was indeed the first U.S. airline to go all jet. And cs57 is correct in that TWA was the first to offer an all jet schedule on domestic flights.

As to questions 7 & 9:

7. What airlines’ reservation offices sold tickets in its 45 cities via teletype for the St. Louis Cardinals, Chicago White Sox and Chicago Cubs baseball teams and NFL Chicago Cardinals and Bears?

Ozark

9. What two U.S. airlines acquired and used the National Airlines “Sun King” logo? One used the logo on its pilot wings and badges while the other employed it on its aircraft tails.

Key Airlines purchased the logo and employed it on its pilot wings and hat badges though so far as I know never on its airplanes. Southeast Airlines did sport the logo on the tails of its DC-9s and MD-80s.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 19, 12 at 10:18 am
Old Jun 19, 12, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
WHBM, you da man!
Clearly an American expression of some sort ........... !

Southeast Airlines did sport the logo on the tails of its DC-9s and MD-80s.
I can recall doing some PPL flying out of St Petersburg/Clearwater airport, Florida in maybe 2001-2002. There was a Southeast Airlines DC9 with the old National logo on the tail laying there down in the weeds without an undercarriage (or with it retracted). I think it was probably N930BB because all the other Southeast aircraft seem to have been active after this time, in which case it was the onetime OE-LDA of Austrian Airlines, the first DC9 I ever rode in, on a student charter from London Gatwick to Vienna in 1972, which ran about three hours late and got us to Vienna at 1 am, after public transport had ceased for the night. But Austrian had got their bus contractor to bring out a special coach, and so about 30 of us in all paid a small bus fare instead of a huge night taxi bill to get into the city. Would carriers do that nowadays ?

Last edited by WHBM; Jun 19, 12 at 11:04 am
Old Jun 19, 12, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Wally Bird View Post
OK, then the Cubana one impounded at Key West.
Uhhh....No. Cubana did not go to Key West. I think Cubana does flies to Canada, the Bahamas, Mexico, South American and a few European cities.
Old Jun 19, 12, 6:08 pm

N830MH: Note the word "impounded". This was not a scheduled flight, but a hijack from Cuba in 2003.
Old Jun 19, 12, 9:04 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Seat 2A,

You never cease to amaze me, this time posting that ultra cool TWA ad from 1967. I assume, besides flying Boeing 707 "Star Stream Jets", TWA was also operating a fleet of 727s, Convair 880s and DC-9s, yes? I can only imagine what US domestic travel would have been like if TWA really did take delivery and operate SSTs like the ad envisioned. Well, that was the world of Trans World Airlines, back in the day!
Old Jun 19, 12, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by cs57 View Post
N830MH: Note the word "impounded". This was not a scheduled flight, but a hijack from Cuba in 2003.
Ah, I gotcha ya. I didn't realize know that. Now, I remember that one. It was almost 9 years ago. That's why they hijack the plane to EYW. Because they were banned enter USA.
Old Jun 20, 12, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tonywestsider View Post
[B]I can only imagine what US domestic travel would have been like if TWA really did take delivery and operate SSTs like the ad envisioned. Well, that was the world of Trans World Airlines, back in the day!
This was how TWA was in 1972...
Old Jun 20, 12, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
And now for something completely different.

It's probably hard for today's passengers to imagine flights with more than one or two stops, but we all know that in the pre-jet era there were a lot of milk runs that were real endurance tests for passengers and crew alike. So here's three questions for you:

1. What US passenger airline had a direct flight from Chicago to Caracas with five intermediate stops? What type of aircraft was originally used on this route, and what were the stops?

2. What US passenger airline had a direct flight from Memphis to Washington with twelve intermediate stops? What type of aircraft was used on this route, and what were the stops?

3. And perhaps the milk run champion: What US passenger airline had a direct flight from Spokane to Idaho Falls (a distance of only 388 miles) with fourteen intermediate stops? What type of aircraft was used on this route, and what were the stops?

If you have any other milk run nominees, please chip in!
Old Jun 20, 12, 7:17 pm

1) This was Delta, using a "New Luxury Constellation" . Flight #501 left Chicago at 3:45PM, and in Caracas at 7:00am next day via STL, MEM, MSY, HAV and KIN. The Delta (1952) timetable called this flight "The Caribbean Comet"!
Old Jun 21, 12, 5:17 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by cs57 View Post
1) This was Delta, using a "New Luxury Constellation" . Flight #501 left Chicago at 3:45PM, and in Caracas at 7:00am next day via STL, MEM, MSY, HAV and KIN. The Delta (1952) timetable called this flight "The Caribbean Comet"!
Right cs57 -- but before it merged into Delta, Chicago & Southern Air Lines used DC-4 equipment on that route, and yes, they named it "The Caribbean Comet" -- and it was a bit slower -- departed Chicago at 10:30a, arriving CCS at 7a next day. Today AA can get you there via MIA in 7-1/2 hrs.
Old Jun 21, 12, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by miniliq View Post
If you have any other milk run nominees, please chip in!
This style of operation didn't really develop elsewhere, because in fairly shorter distance you got into another country, and another administration.

If you want stops, the ultimate has to be, of course, the Imperial Airways flying boat service from Britain to Australia in the 1930s. The route is almost entirely over land (still is), and so aircraft range was not significant. There were 29 intermediate stops, and the trip took 11 days. This operated three times a week right through, and this one route alone absorbed 12 aircraft from the quite sizeable Empire Flying boat fleet - there were comparable routes to Africa, India, etc.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: