Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Jun 15, 12, 7:45 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by cs57 View Post
1) The answer MAY be the Antonov An 26, although it entered service in Russia about 10 years after the F-27.
Although I do not think the An 26 was ever operated domestically in scheduled passenger service by a U.S. air carrier.....

With regard to the excellent question posed by tonywestsider, I'll make a wild guess here with the Nord 262, although this high wing, twin turboprop is a bit on the small side when compared with the "Herald" and "Friendship"....

The Nord 262 was manufactured in France and was powered by Turbomeca "Bastan" engines. Swift Aire Lines operated the Nord 262 in California. I flew on the aircraft several times SBP-LAX. And I believe that Lake Central also operated the Nord 262 in the upper midwest.

There was also a U.S. version of the Nord 262: the Mohawk 298 which was powered by Pratt & Whitney PT-6 series engines. Allegheny operated the Mohawk 298 in the northeast.
Old Jun 15, 12, 8:33 am

Programs: BA
Quite so, the Antonov (24, not 26) complies with the first four points, but was never certified in the US, let alone operated there. The Nord 262, which didn't enter service until 1964 (inevitably with French internal airline Air Inter), was significantly smaller, it only had 29 seats (and only 2+1 seating) to get round some restriction of the era for aircraft over 30 seats, so is really a commuter aircraft rather than a mainstream turboprop. Quite a few US operators had them over time.

The Antonov range of turboprops, which you could mistake for an F27, covered several distinct types, the 24 being the basic aircraft, the 26 being a cargo version with few windows which nevertheless got certified for passengers as well and quite extensively used as such, it's quite claustrophobic inside. Incidentally, like other Antonovs, it's development was not actually connected with Russia; it was developed in Soviet Union times, with the design team and manufacturing plant at Kiev in Ukraine.

By coincidence, though, I did see an Antonov 24 in the USA, and it wasn't in a museum. Anyone care to guess where I was ?
Old Jun 15, 12, 8:47 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Here's several more questions....

1) Name three (3) passenger jet airliner types that have been successfully converted for aerial firefighting use in the U.S.

2) Name two (2) additional passenger jet airliner types that are now in the planning stages for conversion for aerial firefighting use in the U.S.
Old Jun 15, 12, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
here's several more questions....

1) name three (3) passenger jet airliner types that have been successfully converted for aerial firefighting use in the u.s.

dc-10
Old Jun 15, 12, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Cattle Airlines View Post
dc-10
Well, two out of three ain't bad!

Boeing 747-100
Number of aircraft: One (1)
Operator: Evergreen International Airlines
Fire Fighting Capacity: 20,500 gallons

DC-10-10
Number of aircraft: Two (2)
Operator: 10 Tanker Air Carrier
Fire Fighting Capacity: 11,600 gallons

The B727 has not been converted for aerial firefighting use.

So the third aircraft type is....

British Aerospace BAe 146-200
Number of aircraft: Two (2)
Operators: Neptune Aviation and Minden Air Corp. (operating one BAe 146 each)
Fire Fighting Capacity: 3000 gallons

The Evergreen 747 "Supertanker" has not been widely used. This is probably because the company is asking a very large sum of money for its use.

The 10 Tanker Air Carrier DC-10 air tankers have been widely used as this company apparently charges less for their use when compared with the fire fighting charter rates for Evergreen's 747. At least one 10 Tanker DC-10 is currently engaged in aerial firefighting activity in the Rocky Mountain region as there are several large fires presently burning in Colorado and New Mexico. This company's first DC-10 previously flew for National, Pan Am and American among other carriers.

Meantime, the BAe 146 is proving to be very successful in an aerial firefighting role as it has been replacing older legacy air tankers such as the P2V "Neptune". Neptune Aviation is converting two more BAe 146s for firefighting with a future fleet of eleven (11) aircraft total envisioned. Neptune is planning on replacing all of its aging P2V air tankers with BAe 146s.

It has been reported that the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) is delighted with the BAe 146 and wants more of the type as older prop-driven air tankers are phased out.
Old Jun 15, 12, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
By coincidence, though, I did see an Antonov 24 in the USA, and it wasn't in a museum. Anyone care to guess where I was ?
Opa Locka FL ?
Originally Posted by Cattle Airlines View Post
dc-10
BAe 146 tanker, not 727.

And unfortunately, following our recent discussion, a HS748 was burnt out Wednesday while unloading fuel:
http://aviation-safety.net/database/...?id=20120612-0
Old Jun 15, 12, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird View Post
Opa Locka FL ?
Further south !

BAe 146 tanker
Good that the 146 is getting some further use. It handles more like a business jet than an airliner and is extraordinarily manoeuvreable.

Real trivia question now for aircraft buffs. The 146 is known for very soft landings despite being operated into many short strips where decisiveness is required. Which aircraft's landing gear design did it use as a concept ?
Old Jun 15, 12, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Here are ten more...

1. Name the locations of five major commercial aircraft graveyards located in the southwest American states of Arizona and California. Bonus: Name another southwestern graveyard where you’ll find numerous aircraft from American and UPS

2. Name the airline and aircraft involved in the first ever crash of a wide-body aircraft in the U.S.

3. Who were the ghosts of flight 401?

4. Which U.S. airlines operated 737-100, -200 and -300 aircraft?

5. What are the world’s three oldest currently operating airlines?

6. What was the first U.S. charter airline to enter the jet age with the acquisition of new Boeing 707s?

7. What airlines’ reservation offices sold tickets in its 45 cities via teletype for the St. Louis Cardinals, Chicago White Sox and Chicago Cubs baseball teams and NFL Chicago Cardinals and Bears?

8. What was the first U.S. airline to schedule all jets on its flights?

9. What two U.S. airlines acquired and used the National Airlines “Sun King” logo? One used the logo on its pilot wings and badges while the other employed it on its aircraft tails.

10. What now defunct U.S. airline was once owned by a cruise ship company?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 18, 12 at 10:10 am
Old Jun 15, 12, 4:03 pm

I'll kick things off (before I open a bottle of wine as I'm home from work now) with several guesses....

1. One of the aircraft boneyards is Pinal Air Park (MZJ) located in Marana, AZ near Tucson. And with regard to the parked AA and UPS aircraft, I'll guess this location is Roswell, NM (ROW).

4. I believe Air California/Air Cal operated the B737-100, -200 and -300.

10. Carnival Air Lines (KW) operating A300s, B727-200s, B737-200s and B737-400s. Routes were generally out of Florida to the northeast (including New York City), the Caribbean and even included nonstop transcon MIA-LAX and FLL-LAX service. At one point, Carnival also used LAN Chile B767 and Ladeco A300 aircraft via respective interchange agreements on domestic legs between Florida and New York City.

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 15, 12 at 4:13 pm Reason: Carnival two letter code
Old Jun 15, 12, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
6. What was the first U.S. charter airline to enter the jet age with the acquisition of new Boeing 707s?
I'll start -- was it World Airways? About 1966-67.
edit -- jlemon will start!

Last edited by miniliq; Jun 15, 12 at 4:14 pm Reason: premature expectation
Old Jun 15, 12, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
5. Oldest airlines still in operation: Worldwide: KLM (1919), Qantas (1920), and Aeroflot (1923); In the US: Delta (1924)
They're older than I am!
Old Jun 15, 12, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
2. Name the airline and aircraft involved in the first ever crash of a wide-body aircraft in the U.S.
Eastern Tristar, near Miami, 1972.

The crew of the above Eastern flight, principally the captain, Bob Loft. Almost-new Tristar N310EA was only a few months old when lost, and components recovered from the accident scene (from which there were many survivors, although not the captain) were incorporated in N318EA, which came down the production line at Lockheed the following year. This aircraft was claimed to be haunted by visions of the accident aircraft crew, particularly in the underfloor galleys where crew worked on their own.

World Airways, summer 1963, Boeing 707s. They started operation straight away into London Gatwick on charter flights.
Old Jun 15, 12, 5:16 pm

Programs: All of them!
5) How about Avianca (1919)
Old Jun 15, 12, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by cs57 View Post
5) How about Avianca (1919)
Seat2A will have to be the referee on this one -- the original Colombian airline was SCADTA, formed in 1919; it merged with SACO to form Avianca in 1940, so I guess it could be considered as one of the oldest.
Old Jun 15, 12, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Howdy gang - before I get started here, question 1 should read Arizona and California, not Nevada. As such:

1. Name the locations of five major commercial aircraft graveyards located in the southwest American states of Arizona and California. Bonus: Name another southwestern graveyard where you’ll find numerous aircraft from American and UPS

One of the aircraft boneyards is Pinal Air Park (MZJ) located in Marana, AZ near Tucson. And with regard to the parked AA and UPS aircraft, I'll guess this location is Roswell, NM (ROW).

Correct you are, Mr. Lemon! MZJ in Marana is one of them. And Roswell is where you'll find all those ex-AA and UPS birds. I read that at one time Roswell had over 500 aircraft stored.

Eastern Tristar, near Miami, 1972.

The crew of the above Eastern flight, principally the captain, Bob Loft. Almost-new Tristar N310EA was only a few months old when lost, and components recovered from the accident scene (from which there were many survivors, although not the captain) were incorporated in N318EA, which came down the production line at Lockheed the following year. This aircraft was claimed to be haunted by visions of the accident aircraft crew, particularly in the underfloor galleys where crew worked on their own.

Excellent answers and detail as always, WHBM! I've logged seven flights aboard ship 318 and I never did see any ghosts, but then I was enjoying my flights up in the comfort of Eastern's then 2-4-2 seating and not down in the galley. Ship 318 was eventually sold to Cathay Pacific as VR-HOI in 1989, then parked in Bremen, Germany in 1995 where it was used for spares. It was broken up in 1996.

4. Which U.S. airlines operated the combined 737-100, -200 and -300 aircraft in their fleets?

I believe Air California/Air Cal operated the B737-100, -200 and -300.

Yes sir! Air California is one of the airlines. Although I only requested two airlines, I can think of three all together.

5. What are the world’s three oldest currently operating airlines?

Oldest airlines still in operation: Worldwide: KLM (1919), Qantas (1920), and Aeroflot (1923); In the US: Delta (1924)

Good answers, miniliq. By my research, it's KLM (1919), QANTAS (1920) and Czech Airlines (10/6/1923). When I was researching this, I checked out Aeroflot and found the following quote on the Wikipedia pages:

"Responsibility for all civil aviation activities in the Soviet Union came under the control of the Chief Directorate of the Civil Air Fleet on 25 February 1932, and on 25 March 1932 the name "Aeroflot" was officially adopted for the entire Soviet Civil Air Fleet".[11]

Quoted from Aeroflot: Soviet air transport since 1923 Hugh MacDonald. Putnam. ISBN 978-0-370-00117-3. Interesting quote, given the title of the book.

Additionally, it would appear that there were three airlines serving Russia that ultimately came to be known as Aeroflot: Zakavia, Ukrvozdukhputthe and Dobrolyot.

Delta is indeed the oldest currently operating airline in the U.S.

Was it World Airways? About 1966-67

It was indeed, miniliq and WHBM, in 1963!

10. What now defunct U.S. airline was once owned by a cruise ship company?

Carnival Air Lines (KW) operating A300s, B727-200s, B737-200s and B737-400s. Routes were generally out of Florida to the northeast (including New York City), the Caribbean and even included nonstop transcon MIA-LAX and FLL-LAX service. At one point, Carnival also used LAN Chile B767 and Ladeco A300 aircraft via respective interchange agreements on domestic legs between Florida and New York City.

Right on! Carnival Airlines is the one and thank you for the additional detail. ^

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 15, 12 at 7:49 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: