Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Jun 8, 17, 5:09 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
Ah, I thought it might have been a "Cub" (NATO-speak for the Antonov 12 and thus not a Piper product, of course).

Every once in awhile, one of these aircraft shows up at IAH. The last time I saw an Antonov 12 at Bush Intercontinental, it was parked adjacent to the FedEx ramp.
Unfortunately one of these was lost yesterday in Myanmar (Burma)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-40197318

The Y-8 is an Antonov 12 built under licence in China. Apparently it had 122 persons on board. Having been inside one in Russia, I just can't see how you could fit that number into it.
Old Jun 8, 17, 8:05 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, former CO Platinum Elite (sigh...)
answer update

Please limit your response to only one or two quiz items per day so that all may participate. Thanks!

1. In 1966 this airline's timetable featured an artist's rendition of a Caravelle in its livery. However, this air carrier was operating all of its international flights with Douglas DC-6 aircraft at the time. The airline in question, which was not based in the U.S. but was based in the western hemisphere, never operated the Caravelle but did eventually operate several jet aircraft types in later years. Name this air carrier.

3. In 1968, this airline ran a print ad entitled "We'll rent you a set of wheels all week for $65." A car was not included with this offer. Name the airline that ran this ad and describe what the offer was. The photo accompanying this ad was of a jet's landing gear

5. How many Boeing 727-100 aircraft was Continental operating in 1972? ANSWERED

7. It's 1981 and you are in Stamford, Connecticut. Your friends have invited you to a big sailboat party on Friday evening in Freeport, Bahamas and you are planning to attend. You've ascertained that a nearby airport has a direct flight departing on Friday morning at 7:45 am that will get you into Freeport at 1:20 pm - plenty of time to make the party. This flight makes two intermediate stops en route. Identify the airport you'll be departing from, the airline, the two stops in the order in which they will be made and the equipment. The stops were Washington D.C. (DCA) and Miami (MIA) - ANSWERED

8. Now it's 1982 and you are in Savannah, Georgia. You need to travel to Hartford for a meeting the next morning and you've found a daily direct flight departing SAV at 3:35 pm that will get you into BDL at 8:35 pm with three intermediate stops being made en route. Name the air carrier you'll be flying on, the three stops in order and the aircraft.

9. What a deal! It's 1983 and you've found a flight from Dallas/Fort Worth to Washington National with a first class fare of only $139.50 one way. This flight operates every weekday and makes one stop en route. It also features a snack on the first leg and a full dinner service on the second leg. Identify the airline, the en route stop and the equipment. ANSWERED

10. Also in 1983, Air Illinois was operating BAC One-Eleven service on a very short route between two airports with a one way distance of approximately 75 miles. Name the two airports served by this flight. This flight was being operated between airports located in two different states - ANSWERED

11. In 1984, this airline was operating three nonstop flights every weekday between St. Petersburg, FL (PIE) and Atlanta (ATL). Identify the air carrier and the aircraft type. Partially answered: ________ operating Convair 580 equipment - ANSWERED

12. Also in 1984, this air carrier was operating intrastate jet service within Texas and was also not operating any flights outside of the Lone Star State. Name the airline and the jet type.

15. Midwest Express configured its DC-9-10 aircraft with how many seats?

16. How many seats were there in first class on board Fokker F28 Fellowship series 1000 and series 4000 aircraft operated by USAir?

17. This airline operated international service with Fokker F28 Fellowship aircraft from an airport located in the southern U.S. The flight operated twice a week and did not serve Canada. Identify the airline, the departure airport in the U.S. and the international destination served by this flight on a nonstop basis. This flight was being operated in 1975

19. How many Caravelle aircraft was United operating when they were retired? ANSWERED
Good progress thus far with regard to answers to my most recent OTAQ&D set with the above quiz items remaining.

I've also added several hints here and there.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 11, 17 at 8:41 am
Old Jun 8, 17, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Good progress thus far ....

7. It's 1981 and you are in Stamford, Connecticut. Your friends have invited you to a big sailboat party on Friday evening in Freeport, Bahamas and you are planning to attend. You've ascertained that a nearby airport has a direct flight departing on Friday morning at 7:45 am that will get you into Freeport at 1:20 pm - plenty of time to make the party. This flight makes two intermediate stops en route. Identify the airport you'll be departing from, the airline, the two stops in the order in which they will be made and the equipment. The stops were Washington D.C. (DCA) and Miami (MIA)
how about Pan Am, operating a 727-200 out of JFK

10. Also in 1983, Air Illinois was operating BAC One-Eleven service on a very short route between two airports with a one way distance of approximately 75 miles. Name the two airports served by this flight. This flight was being operated between airports located in two different states.
St Louis (STL) <--> Springfield IL (CAP or SPI)

Last edited by jrl767; Jun 8, 17 at 9:52 am
Old Jun 8, 17, 11:12 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, former CO Platinum Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
how about Pan Am, operating a 727-200 out of JFK

St Louis (STL) <--> Springfield IL (CAP or SPI)
7. The airline was not Pan Am and the equipment wasn't a B727-200. Nor was JFK the departure airport. In fact, the airport in question wasn't all that far from Stamford via a route that mostly involved traveling on a freeway.....

10. Correct! Besides its BAC One-Eleven service with one flight a day from Springfield (SPI) to St. Louis operated on a weekday basis, Air Illinois was also flying the same route with Handley Page Jetstream and de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter turboprop equipment and was even operating a Hawker Siddeley HS 748 on Sundays only. BTW, the competition on the route was Ozark with two DC-9-30 departures and one DC-9-10 departure a day. It appears this was also Ozark's shortest jet route into its STL hub at this time.

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 8, 17 at 11:23 am
Old Jun 8, 17, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
7- ok, let's try departing from Westchester County / White Plains (HPN) on an Air Florida 737-200
Old Jun 8, 17, 1:45 pm

7- ok, let's try departing from Westchester County / White Plains (HPN) on an Air Florida 737-200
7. Correct! Here's the sched....

QH 92: White Plains (HPN) 7:45a - 8:35a Washington D.C. (DCA) 9:10a - 11:25a Miami (MIA) 12:50p - 1:20p Freeport (FPO)
Op: HPN-DCA Ex. Sat., DCA-FPO Daily
Equip: 73S
Old Jun 8, 17, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
11. In 1984, this airline was operating three nonstop flights every weekday between St. Petersburg, FL (PIE) and Atlanta (ATL). Identify the air carrier and the aircraft type.

I'm tempted to go with Air Atlanta but I seem to recall it served only the major Florida airports. As such, let's go with a Florida Express BAC-111 - one of which I flew into PIE (from MCO) back in 1984
Old Jun 8, 17, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
11. In 1984, this airline was operating three nonstop flights every weekday between St. Petersburg, FL (PIE) and Atlanta (ATL). Identify the air carrier and the aircraft type.

I'm tempted to go with Air Atlanta but I seem to recall it served only the major Florida airports. As such, let's go with a Florida Express BAC-111 - one of which I flew into PIE (from MCO) back in 1984
11. An excellent guess, sir! However, I seem to recall that Florida Express primarily operated hub and spoke service from Orlando and thus did not fly very much in the way of point-to-point service. And Air Atlanta is not the airline we are looking for here, either. So here's a hint: the equipment operated by the air carrier in question was a turboprop (and it was not one of the smaller propjet types).
Old Jun 8, 17, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level

11. An excellent guess, sir! However, I seem to recall that Florida Express primarily operated hub and spoke service from Orlando and thus did not fly very much in the way of point-to-point service. And Air Atlanta is not the airline we are looking for here, either. So here's a hint: the equipment operated by the air carrier in question was a turboprop (and it was not one of the smaller propjet types).

Hmm... a big propjet, huh... how about Key Air operating a Convair 580.
Old Jun 8, 17, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post

Hmm... a big propjet, huh... how about Key Air operating a Convair 580.
11. Well, you have correctly guessed the equipment: the Convair 580. However, the airline was not Key Air. So please guess again!
Old Jun 9, 17, 9:17 am

Please limit your response to only one or two quiz items per day so that all may participate. Thanks!

1. In 1966 this airline's timetable featured an artist's rendition of a Caravelle in its livery. However, this air carrier was operating all of its international flights with Douglas DC-6 aircraft at the time. The airline in question, which was not based in the U.S. but was based in the western hemisphere, never operated the Caravelle but did eventually operate several jet aircraft types in later years. Name this air carrier.

3. Also in 1968, this airline ran a print ad entitled "We'll rent you a set of wheels all week for $65." A car was not included with this offer. Name the airline that ran this ad and describe what the offer was. This ad was accompanied by a photo of a twin engine jet aircraft's landing gear

5. How many Boeing 727-100 aircraft was Continental operating in 1972? ANSWERED

8. Now it's 1982 and you are in Savannah, Georgia. You need to travel to Hartford for a meeting the next morning and you've found a daily direct flight departing SAV at 3:35 pm that will get you into BDL at 8:35 pm with three intermediate stops being made en route. Name the air carrier you'll be flying on, the three stops in order and the aircraft.

9. What a deal! It's 1983 and you've found a flight from Dallas/Fort Worth to Washington National with a first class fare of only $139.50 one way. This flight operates every weekday and makes one stop en route. It also features a snack on the first leg and a full dinner service on the second leg. Identify the airline, the en route stop and the equipment. ANSWERED

11. In 1984, this airline was operating three nonstop flights every weekday between St. Petersburg, FL (PIE) and Atlanta (ATL). Identify the air carrier and the aircraft type. Partially answered: __________ operating Convair 580 equipment - ANSWERED

12. Also in 1984, this air carrier was operating intrastate jet service within Texas and was also not operating any flights outside of the Lone Star State. Name the airline and the jet type. This airline was also operating turboprop equipment on its intrastate services in Texas at this time - ANSWERED

15. Midwest Express configured its DC-9-10 aircraft with how many seats? The aircraft was in a single class seating configuration

16. How many seats were there in first class on board Fokker F28 Fellowship series 1000 and series 4000 aircraft operated by USAir?

17. This airline operated international service with Fokker F28 Fellowship aircraft from an airport located in the southern U.S. The flight operated twice a week and did not serve Canada. Identify the airline, the departure airport in the U.S. and and the international destination served by this flight on a nonstop basis. This service was being operated in 1975 - ANSWERED

19. How many Caravelle aircraft was United operating when the type was retired from its fleet in 1970? - ANSWERED
Still a fair number of quiz items remain to be answered and I've added a few more hints....

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 11, 17 at 8:42 am Reason: answer updates
Old Jun 9, 17, 9:56 am

Programs: BA
17. This airline operated international service with Fokker F28 Fellowship aircraft from an airport located in the southern U.S. The flight operated twice a week and did not serve Canada. Identify the airline, the departure airport in the U.S. and and the international destination served by this flight on a nonstop basis. This service was being operated in 1975
Do you know what ... I'm going to go for Aviateca again, operating from New Orleans to Guatemala City.

If that's a nonsense, I'm a bit bleary having sat up all night until 0530 this morning watching TV coverage of the UK election (everything is still hand counted, and after things close at 2200 they hand-count through the night, the results trickle in over the hours that follow.
Old Jun 9, 17, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

12. Also in 1984, this air carrier was operating intrastate jet service within Texas and was also not operating any flights outside of the Lone Star State. Name the airline and the jet type.This airline was also operating turboprop equipment on its intrastate services in Texas at this time.
12- how about Emerald Air, running a DC-9-10 (if I recall from prior conversations, their turboprop was the FH-227)
Old Jun 9, 17, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
Do you know what ... I'm going to go for Aviateca again, operating from New Orleans to Guatemala City.

If that's a nonsense, I'm a bit bleary having sat up all night until 0530 this morning watching TV coverage of the UK election (everything is still hand counted, and after things close at 2200 they hand-count through the night, the results trickle in over the hours that follow.
17. Well, sir, your guess is not nonsense at all.....because it is correct!

In the spring of 1975, Aviateca was operating both the Fokker F28 and the BAC One-Eleven series 500 on flights from New Orleans to Guatemala City via a stop in Merida. Both aircraft were operated as GU 301 departing New Orleans at 2:25 pm arriving in Merida at 3:00 pm with lunch being served en route. The F28 was flown on Wednesdays and Sundays while the One-Eleven 500 was operated on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. And BTW, Pan Am was also operating between New Orleans and Merida at this time. PA 555 departed MSY at 6:05 pm and arrived at MID at 6:35 pm. This flight operated only on Saturdays and the equipment was a Boeing 707.
Old Jun 9, 17, 12:30 pm

12- how about Emerald Air, running a DC-9-10 (if I recall from prior conversations, their turboprop was the FH-227)
12. Correct! In 1984, Emerald Air (OD) operating independently was flying Douglas DC-9-10 as well as Fairchild Hiller FH-227 service on intrastate routes in Texas serving Austin (AUS), Corpus Christi (CRP), Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Houston Intercontinental (IAH), McAllen (MFE) and San Antonio (SAT).

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 9, 17 at 12:37 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: