Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Jun 7, 17, 8:23 am
  #10921  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 502
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post

6. TWA was operating Boeing 707-331 aircraft in 1980 with two different seating configurations. One version featured standard first and coach two class seating and the other a coach only single class seating configuration. With this in mind, answer all four of these questions:

6A. How many first class seats were in the two class version?

6B. How many coach seats were in the two class version?

6C. How many coach seats were in the single class version?

6D. What did TWA call its B707-331 all Y seating configuration?
6A. 16
6B. 135
6C. 184
6D. Super Coach
st1575 is offline  
Old Jun 7, 17, 9:16 am
  #10922  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Ester, Alaska
Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Posts: 9,953
14. What U.S. based airline operated "Red, White & Blue" service? Also explain what each color referred to in order to provide a complete answer.

I'm going to go with United. I was flying UA back in those days and as I recall red was First Class, white was like an enhanced Economy Class with 2-3 seating and blue was regular Economy. Of course I could be wrong but I believe this configuration/service was limited to United's DC-8 flights.

4. How many Boeing 747 aircraft was Continental operating in 1972?

I'm thinking it was four - unless they hadn't taken delivery of them all yet. My first 747 flight came aboard a CO bird almost 46 years ago - CO 615 on 6/15/71 ORD-DEN
Seat 2A is offline  
Old Jun 7, 17, 9:16 am
  #10923  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, former CO Platinum Elite (sigh...)
Posts: 8,948
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
I believe it was 1970

the entire fleet numbered 20; I'd have to believe they went down to a handful once the 737s started coming on line in late 1968 ... so I'll guess five

10 years: first services were in 1961, last flight in 1970 as mentioned above
18. Correct!

19. It was more than five.

20. This from the 1970 United annual report: "During the nine years of service on eastern and southeastern route segments, these French-built aircraft established an impressive record of safety and dependability."
jlemon is offline  
Old Jun 7, 17, 9:33 am
  #10924  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, former CO Platinum Elite (sigh...)
Posts: 8,948
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
I would guess a couple, Cayman Airways and Lacsa. Several Caribbean and South American countries operated the stretched 500 series of the One-Eleven, but never any in the USA - BAC didn't even apply for FAA certification of it, for some reason.


I would guess a few. The Caravelle had sold well in the area (although "well" could mean just a few aircraft).

All the North African countries. Kingdom of Libya Airlines (which I think it still was in 1968); Tunis Air; Air Algerie; Royal Air Maroc.

Then the Middle East. Alia of Jordan; Syrian Arab; MEA (apart from the last few days of 1968, as their whole Caravelle fleet was destroyed in December 1968 in the military skirmish at Beirut airport).
2. I was actually looking for just one airline here and Alia Royal Jordanian (RJ) is correct! Alia was flying Caravelle 10R service twice a week nonstop between Amman and Jeddah at this time with the aircraft being operated in an all coach configuration.

13. I do not believe Cayman Airways ever served New Orleans, at least on a scheduled basis, although they did operate the series 500 One-Eleven into Houston Intercontinental at one point (and I believe Seat 2A may have taken this flight back in the day). As for Lacsa, we are actually looking for another airline here. So please guess again, sir!
jlemon is offline  
Old Jun 7, 17, 9:38 am
  #10925  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, former CO Platinum Elite (sigh...)
Posts: 8,948
Originally Posted by st1575 View Post
6A. 16
6B. 135
6C. 184
6D. Super Coach
6. Correct on all counts! BTW, the seating config on TWA's Boeing 707-131 aircraft at this time was 16 in first and 125 in coach.
jlemon is offline  
Old Jun 7, 17, 10:08 am
  #10926  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, former CO Platinum Elite (sigh...)
Posts: 8,948
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
14. What U.S. based airline operated "Red, White & Blue" service? Also explain what each color referred to in order to provide a complete answer.

I'm going to go with United. I was flying UA back in those days and as I recall red was First Class, white was like an enhanced Economy Class with 2-3 seating and blue was regular Economy. Of course I could be wrong but I believe this configuration/service was limited to United's DC-8 flights.

4. How many Boeing 747 aircraft was Continental operating in 1972?

I'm thinking it was four - unless they hadn't taken delivery of them all yet. My first 747 flight came aboard a CO bird almost 46 years ago - CO 615 on 6/15/71 ORD-DEN
4. Correct!

14. Ah, Seat 2A.....and, of course, you could also be correct! On the DC-8, there were 20 Red Carpet First Class (Red) seats in 2-2 config, 35 Standard (White) seats in 2-3 config and 57 Coach (Blue) seats in 3-3 config. At this time in 1964, United was operating Red, White and Blue transcon service nonstop between New York and Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle, between Baltimore and Los Angeles and San Francisco, and between Philadelphia and Los Angeles and San Francisco. Six course meals were served in Red Carpet First Class and four course meals were served in Standard. Sample one way fares from New York to Los Angeles were $160.90 plus tax for First/Red, $150.40 plus tax for Standard/White and $145.10 plus tax for Coach/Blue.
jlemon is offline  
Old Jun 7, 17, 11:17 am
  #10927  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 15,445
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
13. Identify an airline that operated stretched BAC One-Eleven series 500 service into New Orleans (MSY).
how about TACA?

and wrt 6C/6D -- I flew on N28728 in "Super Coach" configuration, SFO-ORD redeye, in Sep 1981; I remember a very impressive light show off to the north as we flew over Wyoming
jrl767 is online now  
Old Jun 7, 17, 11:29 am
  #10928  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, former CO Platinum Elite (sigh...)
Posts: 8,948
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
how about TACA?
13. An excellent guess and I remember seeing TACA operated BAC One-Eleven aircraft at New Orleans back in the day. However, they were shorter fuselage series 400 aircraft. So please guess again!
jlemon is offline  
Old Jun 7, 17, 12:16 pm
  #10929  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: London, England.
Programs: BA
Posts: 7,900
13. Identify an airline that operated stretched BAC One-Eleven series 500 service into New Orleans (MSY).
Last guess - Aviateca, from Guatemala City.
WHBM is offline  
Old Jun 7, 17, 12:53 pm
  #10930  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, former CO Platinum Elite (sigh...)
Posts: 8,948
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
Last guess - Aviateca, from Guatemala City.
13. And your last guess is......correct!

In 1974, Aviateca was operated the stretched BAC One-Eleven series 500 on nonstop service from New Orleans to Merida three days a week with these flights then continuing on to Guatemala City. Aviateca (GU) was also operating "Equipo JET BAC 1-11 500" service between Guatemala City and Miami, Mexico City, San Pedro Sula, San Salvador and San Jose, Costa Rica at this time.

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 7, 17 at 1:01 pm
jlemon is offline  
Old Jun 7, 17, 1:20 pm
  #10931  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: London, England.
Programs: BA
Posts: 7,900
BAC had some good success with the One-Eleven across the Caribbean and Latin America, most of the small carriers from Central America took it, and there was an amount of sharing of aircraft, dual titles, and secondhand transactions between them. During the UK winter Court Line, the colourful holiday flight operator, even used to hire an aircraft for a few months while the resident fleet went back for major overhauls. Aviateca had one of Court's orange ones in winter 1971-72. I wonder if it ever made it to New Orleans.

The BAC Americas chief salesman, he was one of their former and quite prominent test pilots, moved the BAC sales office from New York City to Miami about 1969. I suppose we could make a Bonus Question from that. What is the shortest way from New York to Miami for him, using ONLY scheduled BAC-built aircraft ?
WHBM is offline  
Old Jun 7, 17, 2:20 pm
  #10932  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Ester, Alaska
Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Posts: 9,953
7. It's 1981 and you are in Stamford, Connecticut. Your friends have invited you to a big sailboat party on Friday evening in Freeport, Bahamas and you are planning to attend. You've ascertained that a nearby airport has a direct flight departing on Friday morning at 7:45 am that will get you into Freeport at 1:20 pm - plenty of time to make the party. This flight makes two intermediate stops en route. Identify the airport you'll be departing from, the airline, the two stops in the order in which they will be made and the equipment.

Wild guess here, because I'm thinking their service into this Connecticut airport might have been in the 60s and 70s, but let's go with Eastern Airlines operating a DC-9-30 routing New Haven-Washington DCA-Miami-Freeport.

By the way, a tip of the cap to jlemon for the fine batch of new questions he just submitted. Thanks, JL! ^
Seat 2A is offline  
Old Jun 7, 17, 4:35 pm
  #10933  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, former CO Platinum Elite (sigh...)
Posts: 8,948
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
7. It's 1981 and you are in Stamford, Connecticut. Your friends have invited you to a big sailboat party on Friday evening in Freeport, Bahamas and you are planning to attend. You've ascertained that a nearby airport has a direct flight departing on Friday morning at 7:45 am that will get you into Freeport at 1:20 pm - plenty of time to make the party. This flight makes two intermediate stops en route. Identify the airport you'll be departing from, the airline, the two stops in the order in which they will be made and the equipment.

Wild guess here, because I'm thinking their service into this Connecticut airport might have been in the 60s and 70s, but let's go with Eastern Airlines operating a DC-9-30 routing New Haven-Washington DCA-Miami-Freeport.
7. A great guess! However, the originating airport was not New Haven, the airline was not Eastern and the equipment wasn't a DC-9-30. On the plus side, you have correctly guessed the two intermediate stops in order: DCA and MIA. Care to have another go, sir?
jlemon is offline  
Old Jun 7, 17, 4:45 pm
  #10934  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, former CO Platinum Elite (sigh...)
Posts: 8,948
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
BAC had some good success with the One-Eleven across the Caribbean and Latin America, most of the small carriers from Central America took it, and there was an amount of sharing of aircraft, dual titles, and secondhand transactions between them. During the UK winter Court Line, the colourful holiday flight operator, even used to hire an aircraft for a few months while the resident fleet went back for major overhauls. Aviateca had one of Court's orange ones in winter 1971-72. I wonder if it ever made it to New Orleans....
Ah, I think you may be referring to TG-AZA which I believe was a series 527 model. I do not know if it ever made it to New Orleans but there is a photo of this aircraft which was taken at Miami on airliners.net and the Court Line paint scheme appears to be very much in evidence.
jlemon is offline  
Old Jun 7, 17, 8:00 pm
  #10935  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 467
Too many questions, man. Cull this list to 25 or so, and it'd be fun.
GateHold is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: