Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Apr 16, 17, 9:01 am
  #10861  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, former CO Platinum Elite (sigh...)
Posts: 8,797
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post

9. Now it's 1977 and you are in Grand Island, Nebraska. You've just finished a project assignment in the Cornhusker state and, quite frankly, you're ready to get the heck out of there! And just about anywhere instead of your present location will do. You discover there's a direct, no change of plane flight operated with mainline jet equipment departing early in the morning from GRI that makes three stops before it arrives at its final destination. You book a seat. Identify the airline, the equipment, the final destination and all intermediate three stops in the order in which they will be made.
Just one more to go on this beautiful Easter Sunday morning. Hope everyone is having a fine day thus far. Happy Easter!
jlemon is online now  
Old Apr 16, 17, 3:25 pm
  #10862  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, former CO Platinum Elite (sigh...)
Posts: 8,797
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
there's still an entire itinerary to discover as well
jrl767: Please permit me to kindly suggest that you start us off with the answer for the first leg here concerning your quiz item.

If you do this, I have the feeling others will then chime in......
jlemon is online now  
Old Apr 16, 17, 4:58 pm
  #10863  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 15,200
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
jrl767: ... suggest ... you start us off with the answer for the first leg here concerning your quiz item......
I will initially offer some hints in lieu of the actual answer -- let's see if these will generate some play:
1- the flight is on a wide-body aircraft
2- the DESTINATION is in the Continental US
3- at the time, the airline's headquarters were at the destination location
jrl767 is online now  
Old Apr 17, 17, 11:51 am
  #10864  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, former CO Platinum Elite (sigh...)
Posts: 8,797
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
I will initially offer some hints in lieu of the actual answer -- let's see if these will generate some play:
1- the flight is on a wide-body aircraft
2- the DESTINATION is in the Continental US
3- at the time, the airline's headquarters were at the destination location
Thanks for the hints! And I shall attempt to get this started:

First flight: Western Airlines (WA) DC-10-10, Honolulu (HNL) - Los Angeles (LAX)

Second flight: United Airlines (UA) B727-100, Ontario (ONT) - Chicago O'Hare (ORD)

Third flight: Midway Airlines (ML) DC-9-30, Chicago Midway (MDW) - New York LaGuardia (LGA)

Fourth flight: People Express (PE) B737-100, New York Newark (EWR) -Washington Dulles (IAD)

Fifth flight: Air Florida (QH) B737-200, Washington National (DCA) - Fort Lauderdale (FLL)

Sixth flight: British Airways (BA) B747-200, Miami (MIA) - London Heathrow (LHR)

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 17, 17 at 12:09 pm Reason: amended & added several guesses
jlemon is online now  
Old Apr 17, 17, 1:13 pm
  #10865  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 15,200
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
Thanks for the hints! And I shall attempt to get this started:

First flight: Western Airlines (WA) DC-10, Honolulu (HNL) - Los Angeles (LAX)

Second flight: United Airlines (UA) B727-100, Ontario (ONT) - Chicago O'Hare (ORD)

Third flight: Midway Airlines (ML) DC-9-30, Chicago Midway (MDW) - New York LaGuardia (LGA)

Fourth flight: People Express (PE) B737-200, New York Newark (EWR) -Washington Dulles (IAD)

Fifth flight: Eastern Airlines (EA) B727-200, Washington National (DCA) - Fort Lauderdale (FLL)

Sixth flight: British Airways (BA) B747-200, Miami (MIA) - London Heathrow (LHR)
good guesses all ...

1- HNL CORRECT LAX INCORRECT WA INCORRECT D10 CORRECT
the first one shouldn't be too hard now

2- ONT INCORRECT ORD INCORRECT for this leg UA INCORRECT for this leg 727 INCORRECT for this leg
3- MDW INCORRECT for this leg LGA INCORRECT ML INCORRECT for this leg D9S INCORRECT for this leg (recall the clarification that the third departure airport is west of the arrival airport from the prior leg)
4- EWR INCORRECT IAD INCORRECT PE INCORRECT 737 INCORRECT for this leg
5- DCA INCORRECT FLL INCORRECT EA INCORRECT for this leg 72S INCORRECT for this leg (recall the fine fine print: there are two possible airlines for Leg 5, each operating a different type of turboprop aircraft)
6- MIA INCORRECT LHR INCORRECT BA INCORRECT 747 INCORRECT for this leg

decoding the red type:
  • "Incorrect" with respect to an airport (e.g., LAX) can mean either: (a) it's not in the itinerary at all, or (b) it's at the opposite end of a different leg of the itinerary
  • "Incorrect for this leg" with respect to an airport (e.g., ORD) means it's at the same end of a different leg of the itinerary

Last edited by jrl767; Apr 17, 17 at 1:51 pm
jrl767 is online now  
Old Apr 17, 17, 4:42 pm
  #10866  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, former CO Platinum Elite (sigh...)
Posts: 8,797
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
good guesses all ...

1- HNL CORRECT LAX INCORRECT WA INCORRECT D10 CORRECT
the first one shouldn't be too hard now

2- ONT INCORRECT ORD INCORRECT for this leg UA INCORRECT for this leg 727 INCORRECT for this leg
3- MDW INCORRECT for this leg LGA INCORRECT ML INCORRECT for this leg D9S INCORRECT for this leg (recall the clarification that the third departure airport is west of the arrival airport from the prior leg)
4- EWR INCORRECT IAD INCORRECT PE INCORRECT 737 INCORRECT for this leg
5- DCA INCORRECT FLL INCORRECT EA INCORRECT for this leg 72S INCORRECT for this leg (recall the fine fine print: there are two possible airlines for Leg 5, each operating a different type of turboprop aircraft)
6- MIA INCORRECT LHR INCORRECT BA INCORRECT 747 INCORRECT for this leg

decoding the red type:
  • "Incorrect" with respect to an airport (e.g., LAX) can mean either: (a) it's not in the itinerary at all, or (b) it's at the opposite end of a different leg of the itinerary
  • "Incorrect for this leg" with respect to an airport (e.g., ORD) means it's at the same end of a different leg of the itinerary
Well, I certainly crashed and burned on this one!

Have at it, ya'll!
jlemon is online now  
Old Apr 18, 17, 9:29 am
  #10867  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, former CO Platinum Elite (sigh...)
Posts: 8,797
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post

9. Now it's 1977 and you are in Grand Island, Nebraska. You've just finished a project assignment in the Cornhusker state and, quite frankly, you're ready to get the heck out of there! And just about anywhere instead of your present location will do. You discover there's a direct, no change of plane flight operated with mainline jet equipment departing early in the morning from GRI that makes three stops before it arrives at its final destination. You book a seat. Identify the airline, the equipment, the final destination and all intermediate three stops in the order in which they will be made. ANSWERED
Last call for the above! I will provide the answer this evening if there are no takers beforehand.

We will be departing west at dawn tomorrow on our annual b-day trip (we'll be in the wine country of northern California this year, flying into STS) so I will need to wrap up this bonus quiz before we go.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 18, 17 at 7:44 pm
jlemon is online now  
Old Apr 18, 17, 11:56 am
  #10868  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 15,200
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
Well, I certainly crashed and burned on this one!

Have at it, ya'll!
thought process hints, with respect to the fine print --
a- Leg 1: besides LAX, which metro areas with multiple airports had DC-10 service from HNL?
b- Leg 2: what airport in metro area 1 is to the east (i.e., lower longitude) of the arrival airport?
c- Leg 2: from that airport, what metro areas -- again, to the east -- with multiple airports can you reach?
d- Leg 2: in metro area 2, which airport(s) had exactly two airlines offering service with only the same model of jet from the departure airport in metro area 1?
e- Leg 3: in metro area 2, from the airport the shortest distance west of the arrival airport, which multiple-airport metro areas to the east can you fly to?
f- Leg 4: in metro area 3, from an airport east of the arrival airport, which multiple-airport metro areas to the east can you fly to?
g- Leg 5: in metro area 4, from an airport east of the arrival airport, which multiple-airport metro areas to the east can you reach?
h- Leg 5: in metro area 5, which airport(s) can you reach by either of two airlines operating a different turboprop aircraft?
i- Leg 6: in metro area 5, from an airport east of the arrival airport, which multiple-airport metro areas in Europe can you reach on an airline of the destination country (or a Fifth Freedom flight)?

Last edited by jrl767; Apr 18, 17 at 12:16 pm
jrl767 is online now  
Old Apr 18, 17, 6:30 pm
  #10869  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 502
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post

9. Now it's 1977 and you are in Grand Island, Nebraska. You've just finished a project assignment in the Cornhusker state and, quite frankly, you're ready to get the heck out of there! And just about anywhere instead of your present location will do. You discover there's a direct, no change of plane flight operated with mainline jet equipment departing early in the morning from GRI that makes three stops before it arrives at its final destination. You book a seat. Identify the airline, the equipment, the final destination and all intermediate three stops in the order in which they will be made.
I think this is a Frontier 737 headed for Phoenix with stops in Lincoln, Omaha, and Denver.
st1575 is offline  
Old Apr 18, 17, 7:38 pm
  #10870  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, former CO Platinum Elite (sigh...)
Posts: 8,797
Originally Posted by st1575 View Post
I think this is a Frontier 737 headed for Phoenix with stops in Lincoln, Omaha, and Denver.
9. Well, sir, I think you are correct!

And, indeed, this flight headed east before taking a westerly and then southwesterly track. Here's the sched......

FL 101: Grand Island (GRI) 6:46a - 7:12a Lincoln (LNK) 7:30a - 7:47a Omaha (OMA) 8:12a - 8:35a Denver (DEN) 9:05a - 10:46a Phoenix (PHX)
Op: Daily except Sundays
Equip: B737-200

So with that bit of business being taken care of, we are off to northern California wine country as the sun rises tomorrow morning for our big birthday bash this Sunday in Jenner on the Sonoma County coast.....
jlemon is online now  
Old Apr 25, 17, 8:43 pm
  #10871  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 15,200
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
thought process hints, with respect to the fine print --
e- Leg 3: in metro area 2, from the airport the shortest distance west of the arrival airport, which multiple-airport metro areas to the east can you fly to?
...
i- Leg 6: in metro area 5, from an airport east of the arrival airport, which multiple-airport metro areas in Europe can you reach on an airline of the destination country (or a Fifth Freedom flight)?
another hint:
Legs 3 and 6 are on the different models of the same type of wide-body aircraft
jrl767 is online now  
Old Apr 25, 17, 10:39 pm
  #10872  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Florida
Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Posts: 1,354
jrl767, I will take a stab at a few of the early legs:

1. (based on the earlier partial correct answer and hint) HNL to OAK on World Airways DC10

2. SJO to SEA on either Republic or Air Cal DC9-80 (MD80)

3. PDX to ORD on United 747-100

4. MDW to CLE on Midway DC9-10

Last edited by teddybear99; Apr 25, 17 at 10:42 pm Reason: change plane leg 3 based on latest post
teddybear99 is offline  
Old Apr 26, 17, 7:17 am
  #10873  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 15,200
Originally Posted by teddybear99 View Post
jrl767, I will take a stab at a few of the early legs:

1. (based on the earlier partial correct answer and hint) HNL to OAK on World Airways DC10

2. SJO to SEA on either Republic or Air Cal DC9-80 (MD80)

3. PDX to ORD on United 747-100

4. MDW to CLE on Midway DC9-10
another good start
1- HNL CORRECT; OAK CORRECT; WO CORRECT; D10 CORRECT
2- SJC CORRECT ( you typed "SJO" but I will give you the benefit of the doubt here); SEA INCORRECT; RC INCORRECT OC CORRECT; M80 CORRECT
3- PDX INCORRECT; ORD INCORRECT for this leg; UA INCORRECT for this leg; 747 CORRECT
4- MDW INCORRECT for this leg; CLE INCORRECT; ML INCORRECT for this leg; DC9 INCORRECT for this leg

** think about the underlined answers for a few seconds in terms of the context of this itinerary ... while a lot of us from SEA feel some kinship with folks from PDX, we're 175 miles apart and definitely not part of the same metropolitan area; similarly, did Burke Lakefront Airport in Cleveland have scheduled service in 1983, and if so were there two airlines flying to the same destination? **

so here's what we know

LEG 1 - HNL - OAK, WO D10
LEG 2 - SJC - XXX, OC (or XX) M80
LEG 3 - depart from airport slightly west of XXX, unknown arrival airport, unknown airline, 747-100
LEG 5 - unknown metro areas, two possible airlines each operating a different model of turboprop
LEG 6 - TATL flight, unknown metro areas, airline of the destination country or Fifth Freedom carrier, different variant of 747 (remember this is 1983)
jrl767 is online now  
Old Apr 26, 17, 11:05 am
  #10874  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, former CO Platinum Elite (sigh...)
Posts: 8,797
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
another good start
1- HNL CORRECT; OAK CORRECT; WO CORRECT; D10 CORRECT
2- SJC CORRECT ( you typed "SJO" but I will give you the benefit of the doubt here); SEA INCORRECT; RC INCORRECT OC CORRECT; M80 CORRECT
3- PDX INCORRECT; ORD INCORRECT for this leg; UA INCORRECT for this leg; 747 CORRECT
4- MDW INCORRECT for this leg; CLE INCORRECT; ML INCORRECT for this leg; DC9 INCORRECT for this leg

** think about the underlined answers for a few seconds in terms of the context of this itinerary ... while a lot of us from SEA feel some kinship with folks from PDX, we're 175 miles apart and definitely not part of the same metropolitan area; similarly, did Burke Lakefront Airport in Cleveland have scheduled service in 1983, and if so were there two airlines flying to the same destination? **

so here's what we know

LEG 1 - HNL - OAK, WO D10
LEG 2 - SJC - XXX, OC (or XX) M80
LEG 3 - depart from airport slightly west of XXX, unknown arrival airport, unknown airline, 747-100
LEG 5 - unknown metro areas, two possible airlines each operating a different model of turboprop
LEG 6 - TATL flight, unknown metro areas, airline of the destination country or Fifth Freedom carrier, different variant of 747 (remember this is 1983)
Yep, SEA and PDX are certainly not part of the same metropolitan area. So the flight on leg 2 probably headed south from the Bay Area.

Time to make several guesses here.....

Leg 2: Air Cal operating an MD-80 from San Jose (SJC) to Burbank (BUR).

Leg 3: Sounds like the departure airport may have been Los Angeles (LAX) and the arrival airport was New York Kennedy (JFK). If so, four air carriers operating B747-100 equipment come to mind: American, Pan Am, TWA and United. As PA and TW were operating transatlantic service at the time and thus may come into play later on, I'll go with American over UA.
jlemon is online now  
Old Apr 26, 17, 11:24 am
  #10875  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 15,200
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
Yep, SEA and PDX are certainly not part of the same metropolitan area. So the flight on leg 2 probably headed south from the Bay Area.

Time to make several guesses here.....

Leg 2: Air Cal operating an MD-80 from San Jose (SJC) to Burbank (BUR).

Leg 3: Sounds like the departure airport may have been Los Angeles (LAX) and the arrival airport was New York Kennedy (JFK). If so, four air carriers operating B747-100 equipment come to mind: American, Pan Am, TWA and United. As PA and TW were operating transatlantic service at the time and thus may come into play later on, I'll go with American over UA.
2- SJC CORRECT; BUR CORRECT; OC CORRECT ... remember there are TWO possible airlines, so we are still looking for the other (but it's trivial at this point); M80 CORRECT
3- LAX CORRECT; JFK INCORRECT for this leg; AA INCORRECT for this leg; 747-100 CORRECT
jrl767 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: