Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by teddybear99
Hawaii

Aloha Airlines

BAC 1-11
2. Correct!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
not sure if Delta still had the D8S in their fleet in early '85, but even if they did I'm still inclined to think this was United operating to DEN
6. United is correct; however, the flight was not operated to Denver.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will disagree and pose this answer:

United airlines going to Chicago O'Hare.

Details:

UA 464 departed Denver at 7:00
Arrived in IAH at 10:00
Departed 10:40 to ORD
Arrived in ORD at 12:55
6. Correct! VIASA had been previously operating D8S aircraft into IAH but not on a daily basis.

And please note my request to only answer one quiz item during a reasonable amount of time (say once a day) so that all may participate. Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by jlemon
6. Correct! VIASA had been previously operating D8S aircraft into IAH but not on a daily basis.

And please note my request to only answer one quiz item during a reasonable amount of time (say once a day) so that all may participate. Thanks!
I waited until I saw an incorrect answer to respond ^

I believe I have answers to 3 others, but I want to give everyone else a chance also.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
5. Continental was operating DC-10 service into Houston Intercontinental (IAH) on nonstop routes from six different cities in North America at this time. Not all of these flights were operated on daily basis. Name all six cities.

Sitting here in a Tokyo hotel awaiting my First Class flight on JAL back to Chicago tomorrow - might as well have a go at one of these...

Let's see... the obvious cities would be Denver, Los Angeles and Newark. Miami and San Antonio also come to mind as well and last but not least, a route I flew from IAH in '83, Washington Dulles.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
5. Continental was operating DC-10 service into Houston Intercontinental (IAH) on nonstop routes from six different cities in North America at this time. Not all of these flights were operated on daily basis. Name all six cities.

Sitting here in a Tokyo hotel awaiting my First Class flight on JAL back to Chicago tomorrow - might as well have a go at one of these...

Let's see... the obvious cities would be Denver, Los Angeles and Newark. Miami and San Antonio also come to mind as well and last but not least, a route I flew from IAH in '83, Washington Dulles.
Hey-hey Seat 2A!

5. Denver, Los Angeles and Miami are correct!

However, Newark, San Antonio and Washington Dulles are incorrect.

Three to go!

And looking forward to hearing about your latest global adventure!
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Hey-hey Seat 2A!

5. Denver, Los Angeles and Miami are correct!

However, Newark, San Antonio and Washington Dulles are incorrect.

Three to go!

And looking forward to hearing about your latest global adventure!
Tap in on the final three:

New York LGA, Acapulco, and Mexico City. He did say North America, not United States....
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
some hints

First off, my apologies to those who have been expecting this for a month or more; as mentioned in my prior post, my work schedule didn't make it any easier to carve out time to do the research, and nailing down the wording took far longer than I thought it would.

That said, here we go: Inspired by jlemon's "westbound round-the-world Southern Hemisphere odyssey" that entertained us recently, I came up with another 1983 trek for y'all to dissect ... this is a 14-segment summer jaunt from the U.S. to Europe and return; as usual, the task is to identify -- in sequence, of course -- the cities, airlines, and aircraft.

ON THE FIRST 12 FLIGHTS you'll arrive at one of several airports serving a major city or metropolitan area, but you'll depart from a different one.
>> You will NOT transit the same city or metropolitan area twice.
>> Proceeding west to east, the first five destinations are in the Continental U.S.
< CLARIFICATION > in fact, all AIRPORTS save the third point of departure are east of the previous airport; there are obviously several destination airports for the second leg, but I'm looking for the one with the least east-to-west separation
>> You will spend two nights at all U.S. destinations EXCEPT the third, where you will spend three nights.
>> From south to north, the next three destinations are in Europe.
>> You will spend one night at each European destination.
>> On return to North America there are four stops north to south.
< CLARIFICATION > similarly, each departure airport is south of the arrival airport within the metropolitan area
>> You will spend two nights at each destination.

THE PENULTIMATE LEG returns you to a metropolitan area you have already visited, but via yet a different airport; you then depart from this same airport a few hours later and return to the airport where you began the journey.

The fine print:
IN ALL CASES the flight is on a different airline.
IN ALL CASES the flight is on a different model of aircraft -- e.g., 757-200 and 757-300 -- although three basic types -- e.g., 757 -- appear more than once.
IN ALL CASES -- except for one Fifth Freedom flight -- international flights are operated by an airline of the destination country.
TWO FLIGHTS only operate 1x/week.

The fine fine print:
>> There are several flights on each of two possible airlines for the second leg; all operate with the same model of aircraft.
>> There are two possible airlines for the fifth leg; each operates a different type of turboprop aircraft.
>> There are two possible airlines for the last leg within the Continental U.S; both operate the same model of aircraft.
>> Source data for U.S. flights is a Pocket Flight Guide, so there MAY be some additional answers that I didn't have the ability to consider.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
3. In 1968, this air carrier advertised it was operating ten roundtrip flights a day between Los Angeles (LAX) and Las Vegas (LAS). The same aircraft type was operated on all of these flights. Identify the airline and the equipment.
doubtless Western; their 737s debuted in mid 1968, but I think for the most part replaced Electras on the routes serving the smaller Wyoming and Montana destinations between DEN/SLC and GTF ... therefore the 720B is a more likely candidate for this LAX<-->LAS "shuttle"
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
3. In 1968, this air carrier advertised it was operating ten roundtrip flights a day between Los Angeles (LAX) and Las Vegas (LAS). The same aircraft type was operated on all of these flights. Identify the airline and the equipment.

I saw this and my first thought was Bonanza - but that would depend upon when in 1968 as the merger to form Air West also happened then. For now though, I'm going to counter jrl767's Western flights with Bonanza operating DC-9-10s...
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Don't know if this has been done before on this thread, but I'm posting live from aboard a Japan Airlines 777-300ER on a flight from Tokyo to Chicago. Thought you all might like a picture from today's luncheon service...

On to the Promised Land aboard the California Zephyr tomorrow...

BTW, re. the CO DC-10 question and IAH flights, I seem to recall DC10s on the schedule from SFO and SAN to IAH. I'd also concur with MEX...
Attached Images  
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tap in on the final three:

New York LGA, Acapulco, and Mexico City. He did say North America, not United States....
5. Correct on the final three.....and here are the scheds.

CO 392: Acapulco (ACA) 2:35p - 4:55p Houston (IAH)
Op: Daily
Equip: D10
Meal service: Lunch

CO 450: Denver (DEN) 7:00a - 10:00a Houston (IAH)
Meal service: Breakfast

CO 352: Los Angeles (LAX) 1:55a - 6:55a Houston (IAH)
Op: Daily except Sundays
Meal service: None

CO 52: Los Angeles (LAX) 9:05a - 2:00p Houston (IAH)
Op: Daily except Tuesdays
Note: CO 52 operated with a 72S on Tuesdays

CO 50: Los Angeles (LAX) 12:50p - 5:20p Houston (IAH)
Op: Daily except Saturdays
Note: CO 50 operated with a 72S on Saturdays &
I flew on CO 50 a number of times back in the day

CO 122: Mexico City (MEX) 8:05a - 9:55a Houston (IAH)

CO 139: Miami (MIA) 12:40p - 2:20p Houston (IAH)
Op: Saturdays only
Note: CO 139 operated with a 72S daily except Saturdays

CO 123: New York City (LGA) 4:20p - 7:05p Houston (IAH)
Meal service: Snack
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

doubtless Western; their 737s debuted in mid 1968, but I think for the most part replaced Electras on the routes serving the smaller Wyoming and Montana destinations between DEN/SLC and GTF ... therefore the 720B is a more likely candidate for this LAX<-->LAS "shuttle"
3. An excellent guess....but the air carrier we are looking for was not Western.

WA was operating up to 15 flights a day from LAX to LAS at this time with Boeing 720, Boeing 720B, Boeing 737-200 (a new addition to their fleet back then) and Lockheed L-188 Electra equipment.

The air carrier in question was only operating one aircraft type on all 10 of its LAX to LAS flights.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw this and my first thought was Bonanza - but that would depend upon when in 1968 as the merger to form Air West also happened then. For now though, I'm going to counter jrl767's Western flights with Bonanza operating DC-9-10s...
3. Correct! Bonanza it was, all with DC-9-10s.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't know if this has been done before on this thread, but I'm posting live from aboard a Japan Airlines 777-300ER on a flight from Tokyo to Chicago. Thought you all might like a picture from today's luncheon service...

On to the Promised Land aboard the California Zephyr tomorrow...

BTW, re. the CO DC-10 question and IAH flights, I seem to recall DC10s on the schedule from SFO and SAN to IAH. I'd also concur with MEX...
Please see my response above concerning the CO DC-10 service into IAH back then.

And a very nice shot from JL 10 en route from Narita to O'Hare, sir!

It's my understanding that JAL's international first class service on the stretched triple 7 is very highly regarded.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.