Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
21- I'll guess the third was BOAC ... I recall a guy on my freshman dorm floor mentioning a family trip from NYC to Bermuda aboard a Brit when he was about nine years old
Old Mar 6, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
21- I'll guess the third was BOAC ... I recall a guy on my freshman dorm floor mentioning a family trip from NYC to Bermuda aboard a Brit when he was about nine years old
I figured it wouldn't take long to check off that box. Well done, J.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Good Evening from Grand Cayman in the British West Indies!

Gale force winds here the past two days with very sporty sea conditions....we've been unable to sail, dive or even snorkel.

And let's just say that Seven Mile Beach has changed beyond recognition in the 30 years since I was last here.......Wow! It looks like certain parts of Maui now.

However, what I find interesting is that Owen Roberts International Airport (GCM), at least in terms of the overall airfield (AOA) dimensions, appears not to have changed....at all. The one and only jet runway (and I'm not quite sure GCM has full length taxiways as we had to backtrack on arrival last night on board an AA A319 from MIA) continues to be really shoe horned in here. And British Airways is operating a Boeing 777-200 into this apparently constrained airfield on a scheduled basis.....again, Wow!

Cheers! And another rum drink before we land, please!

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 7, 2017 at 6:54 am Reason: more GCM stuff...and another rum drink, baby, please....
Old Mar 6, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Pan Am was indeed the launch customer, but the information I've found indicates neither Pan Am or Iran Air flew the first flight.

I've just spent a half hour trying to find an inaugural flight date for Iran Air's SP. They received theirs very early on and it's entirely possible that they did fly the first ever 747SP revenue flight, but I've never seen their name associated with this. Do you have a date on the inaugural Tehran to New York flight?

Sorry I do not. The source of my information is a former Iran Air pilot who told me that the flights were supposed to be the same day but for some reason Pan Am was delayed a day in starting their service.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
25. An interesting bit of research has seemingly revealed that although one airline is widely considered to be the launch customer for Boeing’s 747SP, the world’s first revenue flight with the SP was actually flown by a different airline, one day earlier than that of the launch customer. This one might be good for a bit of discussion or even a definitive bit of clarity from our man in London. So then let’s start by identifying the launch customer for Boeing’s 747SP as well as the other airline that claims to have operated the world’s first revenue flight with the SP. While we’re at it, identify the routes flown by each airline on its inaugural flights.

Per Seat 2A: Pan Am was indeed the launch customer, but the information I've found indicates neither Pan Am or Iran Air flew the first flight.

I've just spent a half hour trying to find an inaugural flight date for Iran Air's SP. They received theirs very early on and it's entirely possible that they did fly the first ever 747SP revenue flight, but I've never seen their name associated with this. Do you have a date on the inaugural Tehran to New York flight?

Per VH-RMD: Sorry I do not. The source of my information is a former Iran Air pilot who told me that the flights were supposed to be the same day but for some reason Pan Am was delayed a day in starting their service.
Rather than let this one twist in the wind, I'm just going to tell you all what I've found and then between us all perhaps we can get to the truth of the matter.

The information I found suggests that South African Airways operated the world's first revenue flight of the 747SP on April 24, 1976. Pan Am operated its first flight the next day. The Iran Air site - under history - claims that Iran Air operated the first flight but does not provide a date.

Here are some resources to consider:

http://www.aussieairliners.org/b-747...pa/n532pa.html
A bit of history on Pan Am's first 747SP

http://www.747sp.com/747sp-production-list/21024-270/
More Pan Am 747SP history

https://www.flysaa.com/about-us/lead.../brief-history
SAA airline website contending that SAA was the first 74L operator

Hard to believe but the second site (independent of SAA) which I'd bookmarked just two weeks ago in support of SAA now appears to have been taken down! This leaves just the above site (which may be a bit biased... )

http://www.747sp.com/747sp-production-list/20998-275/
This site indicates that Iran Air's first 747SP was certainly delivered early enough to have operated the first ever revenue flight

http://www.iranair.com/Portal/home/?...an-Air-History
In this Iran Air sponsored history page, Iran air claims to be the first to "order and operate Boeing 747SP in the world"
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Greetings, all

In three days I will be departing on a fairly lengthy trip (50000+ air miles, 19 airlines, 8000+ rail miles) and as such will be closing out this set of questions as of tomorrow night (Saturday 3/11). As you might imagine, for a month or so after that, my participation here will be spotty at best.

Now as much as any time would be a great chance for one or more of you to step up and try your hand at "quiz meister". History, schedules, general esoterica - it's all good. G'wan! What's the worst that could happen?

Good luck!

Elton
Seat 2A
Old Mar 11, 2017, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Alrighty then - let's close these out!

6. What name did Chicago and Southern (C&S) Air Lines use to recognize its frequent flyers starting in 1940?

Flying Colonels. Delta later took over the name and the recognition program and benefits when it absorbed Chicago and Southern.

17. In 1962, this airline’s ads billed it as “The World’s Largest Airline”

This would be Air France.

BONUS QUESTION 201: Name another airline that operated the Boeing 707, the Douglas DC-8 and the Convair 990.

Air Afrique. Unfortunately, only the DC-8 wore this company's attractive two-tone green livery. The 707 and 990 were short term leases.

30. In 1966, most airlines configured their 4 engine jets with both First and Economy Class interiors. In the case of the Convair 880, two airlines operated versions in an all-economy class configuration. Identify both of those airlines.

This would be Japan Air Lines and Japan Domestic Airlines. Later, many secondary airlines such as LANICA would lease 880s and operate them in an all-economy configuration.

Soon I shall settle into the First Class cabin of a BA 747-400 and wing it off to London for a couple of days before relocating to the back of the plane aboard the likes of a KLM Fokker 70, and Air Baltic Bombardier CS300, a LOT Polish 737-400, a Norwegian 737-800 and an Aeroflot A320 - all this in just the next nine days. Twelve more airlines and 8000 miles of train travel after that. Participation here will be limited at best.

In my absence, here's wishing you all a very nice spring season. Happy contrails!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 11, 2017 at 10:49 am
Old Mar 11, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Soon I shall settle into the First Class cabin of a BA 747-400 and wing it off to London for a couple of days before relocating to the back of the plane aboard the likes of a KLM Fokker 70, and Air Baltic Bombardier CS300, a LOT Polish 737-400, a Norwegian 737-800 and an Aeroflot A320 - all this in just the next nine days. Twelve more airlines and 8000 miles of train travel after that. Participation here will be limited at best.
Have a great trip and enjoy spring!
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

In my absence, here's wishing you all a very nice spring season. Happy contrails!
Roger that, Seat 2A, and safe travels to you, sir!

We arrived back home last evening from Grand Cayman via AA GCM - MIA - MSY (A319/B737-800) and the front cabin service on both flights was nice, although it would have nicer to have something more substantial offered for breakfast out of GCM instead of two fig newtons. Yep, that's what I had in first. At least they had mimosas. And the newly renovated Admirals Club adjacent to gate 15 at MIA was nice as well although AA continues to charge for just about everything in their clubs.

Meantime, I will also not be posting any new quiz items for awhile until we are back in our home, which will be several weeks from now at least. So this would be a great opportunity for some of the OTAQ&D participants or even some of the lurkers to fire away with their own questions. Seat 2A and yours truly highly encourage you to do so!
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Alrighty then ...

safe travels, and enjoy the adventures

I'll make an effort to finalize a convoluted jlemon-esque itinerary quiz on my Thurs flights aboard AS 737-900s (BWI-SAN inaugural, followed by SAN-SEA) and post it by next weekend
Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good luck, J. I'll be checking in when I can. Just arrived Riga aboard YL-CSA, the first of two Bombardier CS-300s currently operated by Air Baltic. Also logged a nice short flight aboard a Fokker 70 between London and Amsterdam. Prior to that BA's G-BYGE, a relatively new 747-436 (1999 build) delivered me to London in style and comfort befitting the slogan "The world's favourite way to fly". Great service!

Aside from the one well known airline that operated the Fokker 70 in the U.S., does anyone here know of any other airlines in the U.S. or Canada that also operated the Fokker 70?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 15, 2017 at 4:35 pm
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good luck, J. I'll be checking in when I can. Just arrived Riga aboard YL-CSA, the first of two Bombardier CS-300s currently operated by Air Baltic. Also logged a nice short flight aboard a Fokker 70 between London and Amsterdam. Prior to that BA's G-BYGE, a relatively new 747-436 (1999 build) delivered me to London in style and comfort befitting the slogan "The world's favourite way to fly". Great service!

Aside from the one well known airline that operated the Fokker 70 in the U.S., does anyone here know of any other airlines in the U.S. or Canada that also operated the Fokker 70?
Hey-hey, Seat 2A! Glad to hear the trip is progressing well and look forward to hearing more concerning your trip on BA. We sure enjoyed our journey on BA from DFW to LHR in First on the 744 last fall.

To the best of my knowledge, the only operator of the Fokker 70 in the U.S. was a subsidiary of Mesa (being Desert Sun Airlines, I think) flying as America West Express as we have previously discussed here. I actually saw one of their F70 aircraft at GEG back in the day. I also do not think there were any Canadian operators of the F70. There may have a been a corporate operator of the F70 in the U.S. but I'm really not sure if this was actually the case.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
I also do not think there were any Canadian operators of the F70.
Not many operators of advanced Fokkers (50,70,100) in Canada. Just F28s (Air Ontario - one of which crashed in YHD in 1989) and Canadian Regional and its predecessors. Can't think of any F27 operators.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Not many operators of advanced Fokkers (50,70,100) in Canada. Just F28s (Air Ontario - one of which crashed in YHD in 1989) and Canadian Regional and its predecessors. Can't think of any F27 operators.
Yep, I can only think of two Fokker 100 operators in Canada: Jetsgo and Canadian North.

Speaking of the F28 Fellowship, I believe Time Air was at one point the world's largest operator of the type. And I also believe Time Air operated Fokker F27 aircraft back when they were flying Twin Otters.

I think there were also several Fairchild operators in Canada as well: Norcanair and Quebecair with F-27s and Nordair with FH-227s.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
Yep, I can only think of two Fokker 100 operators in Canada: Jetsgo and Canadian North.
I can think of one more...

Intair, which operated a fleet of 6 Fokker 100s from 1989-1991. You'll find a picture of its F100 HERE

Here's another two questions for you all...

1. Which airline currently operates the most nonstop transatlantic routes between the U.S. and Europe?

2. What airline was the launch customer for the Fokker 70?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 21, 2017 at 5:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.