Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
BONUS QUESTION 201: Name another airline that operated each of the above aircraft.

BONUS QUESTION 202: Identify the only airline to OWN and operate both the 880 and 990.
Ah, I did manage to find a photo on airliners.net of a DC-8-61 with Air France titles on an all-white fuselage. Registration is C-GMXB and the D8S was apparently on short term lease from Nationair.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
Ah, I did manage to find a photo on airliners.net of a DC-8-61 with Air France titles on an all-white fuselage. Registration is C-GMXB and the D8S was apparently on short term lease from Nationair.
Sorry I didn't clarify - I was referring to my postcard as the standard 8. Too bad AF didn't paint up that D8S in its full livery!
Old Mar 4, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass

Sounds good to me too, Teddy, but hey - what do I know?! It's actually a different name. Please guess again!
You definitely know more than me
Old Mar 4, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
As to bonus question 202, I believe Alaska Airlines owned and operated one of each, buying the 880 new from the manufacturer as it's first jet aircraft and the 990 from Varig Airlines in 1967 as they were expanding quickly.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
7. What was 'Cuauhtli' and what airline was it associated with?
Sounds like a native american word and indeed it is Aztec for eagle. As a result, it must have been the logo for Mexicana (since the other airline uses a warrior for its logo).
Old Mar 4, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by teddybear99
BONUS QUESTION 202: Identify the only airline to OWN and operate both the 880 and 990.

I believe Alaska Airlines owned and operated one of each, buying the 880 new from the manufacturer as it's first jet aircraft and the 990 from Varig Airlines in 1967 as they were expanding quickly.

I believe you are 100% spot on correct! ^
Old Mar 4, 2017, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
7. What was 'Cuauhtli' and what airline was it associated with?

Sounds like a native american word and indeed it is Aztec for eagle. As a result, it must have been the logo for Mexicana (since the other airline uses a warrior for its logo).

Ah... ever so close, but no! Please, do guess again, Señor!
Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I think it's more accurately "eagle warrior" ... and Aeronaves de Mexico indeed used a warrior in an eagle helmet in their logo
Old Mar 4, 2017, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
I think it's more accurately "eagle warrior" ... and Aeronaves de Mexico indeed used a warrior in an eagle helmet in their logo
Correct! "Cuautli" is the distinctive Aztec Eagle Warrior god that graced the tails of Aeronaves de Mexico’s airplanes.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

REMAINING QUIZ QUESTIONS

6. What name did Chicago and Southern (C&S) Air Lines use to recognize its frequent flyers starting in 1940?

17. In 1962, this airline’s ads billed it as “The World’s Largest Airline”

20. Identify two airlines that flew the Boeing 707, the Douglas DC-8 and the Convair 990
A N S W E R E D

BONUS QUESTION 201: Name another airline that operated each of the above aircraft.

21. It’s 1962. Identify the three airlines that served Bermuda with Bristol Britannias.
A N S W E R E D

25. An interesting bit of research has seemingly revealed that although one airline is widely considered to be the launch customer for Boeing’s 747SP, the world’s first revenue flight with the SP was actually flown by a different airline, one day earlier than that of the launch customer. This one might be good for a bit of discussion or even a definitive bit of clarity from our man in London. So then let’s start by identifying the launch customer for Boeing’s 747SP as well as the other airline that claims to have operated the world’s first revenue flight with the SP. While we’re at it, identify the routes flown by each airline on its inaugural flights.

26. It’s a sweltering afternoon in 1966 and you’re savoring your second gin and tonic in Freetown, Sierra Leone when a cable arrives from company headquarters requesting your assistance with a “small problem” up in London. Time is of the essence, Sir! Please get here as soon as possible! As luck would have it, the single weekly nonstop flight between FNA and LGW departs tomorrow at 1000. As luck would further have it, the flight is sold out in Economy Class but wait! There’s a single First Class seat available. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying aboard.
A N S W E R E D

30. In 1966, most airlines configured their 4 engine jets with both First and Economy Class interiors. In the case of the Convair 880, two airlines operated versions in an all-economy class configuration. Identify both of those airlines.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 6, 2017 at 4:17 pm
Old Mar 5, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
25 Pan Am was launch customer but Iran Air flew the first flight Tehran to New York. Pan AM flew New York to Tehran.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

26. It’s a sweltering afternoon in 1966 and you’re savoring your second gin and tonic in Freetown, Sierra Leone when a cable arrives from company headquarters requesting your assistance with a “small problem” up in London. Time is of the essence, Sir! Please get here as soon as possible! As luck would have it, the single weekly nonstop flight between FNA and LGW departs tomorrow at 1000. As luck would further have it, the flight is sold out in Economy Class but wait! There’s a single First Class seat available. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying aboard.
Kick at this again but I will admit to having researched it. Initially thought it could have been a 5th freedom by a deep southern Africa (i.e., perhaps South African Airways from CPT) or south American airline but none had to use LGW (no problem with getting LHR slots in that era). Since it probably wasn't a British airline, it had to be the national carrier and so airline must have been the spawn of WAAC, Sierra Leone Airways. Surprising because it didn't have the equipment to fly the route as specified (or it seems, the country's capability to operate an airline). Research turns up that the service was operated by British United Airways on behalf of Sierra Leone Airways using a Bristol Britannia until at least 1963.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[B][SIZE="5"]
21. It’s 1962. Identify the three airlines that served Bermuda with Bristol Britannias.
Looking at who operated the Britannia, two would have been British Eagle and Cubana. Cubana sold a Britannia to CSA which used it for HAV flights so let's go with CSA as the 3rd?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
25. An interesting bit of research has seemingly revealed that although one airline is widely considered to be the launch customer for Boeing’s 747SP, the world’s first revenue flight with the SP was actually flown by a different airline, one day earlier than that of the launch customer. This one might be good for a bit of discussion or even a definitive bit of clarity from our man in London. So then let’s start by identifying the launch customer for Boeing’s 747SP as well as the other airline that claims to have operated the world’s first revenue flight with the SP. While we’re at it, identify the routes flown by each airline on its inaugural flights.

Pan Am was launch customer but Iran Air flew the first flight Tehran to New York. Pan AM flew New York to Tehran.

Pan Am was indeed the launch customer, but the information I've found indicates neither Pan Am or Iran Air flew the first flight.

I've just spent a half hour trying to find an inaugural flight date for Iran Air's SP. They received theirs very early on and it's entirely possible that they did fly the first ever 747SP revenue flight, but I've never seen their name associated with this. Do you have a date on the inaugural Tehran to New York flight?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach

Kick at this again but I will admit to having researched it. Initially thought it could have been a 5th freedom by a deep southern Africa (i.e., perhaps South African Airways from CPT) or south American airline but none had to use LGW (no problem with getting LHR slots in that era). Since it probably wasn't a British airline, it had to be the national carrier and so airline must have been the spawn of WAAC, Sierra Leone Airways. Surprising because it didn't have the equipment to fly the route as specified (or it seems, the country's capability to operate an airline). Research turns up that the service was operated by British United Airways on behalf of Sierra Leone Airways using a Bristol Britannia until at least 1963.

Well, if one must resort to research, it appears you've done a great job and as such, your answer is spot on. I would love to have flown aboard that Britannia in First Class! Alas - I was born a few years too late...

Looking at who operated the Britannia, two would have been British Eagle and Cubana. Cubana sold a Britannia to CSA which used it for HAV flights so let's go with CSA as the 3rd?

My schedule is showing that CSA operated its Brits over a different route between Havana and Prague.

Cunard Eagle and Cubana are correct however. So then, we're looking for just one more...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 6, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.