Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Feb 26, 17, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
26. It’s a sweltering afternoon in 1966 and you’re savoring your second gin and tonic in Freetown, Sierra Leone when a cable arrives from company headquarters requesting your assistance with a “small problem” up in London. Time is of the essence, Sir! Please get here as soon as possible! As luck would have it, the single weekly nonstop flight between FNA and LGW departs tomorrow at 1000. As luck would further have it, the flight is sold out in Economy Class but wait! There’s a single First Class seat available. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying aboard.

I imagine this must be the precursor of British Caledonian, British United Airways with a VC-10.

If I didn't know better, I'd be proposing the exact same answer, YVR. But no, although British United did operate from Freetown up to LGW, it was via a three stop routing utilizing a smaller aircraft. For the nonstop flight, we'll be looking for a different airline and aircraft. Please, guess again!

8. It’s the summer of 1984 and you need to fly from Honolulu to Taipei. There are no nonstops and only one airline offers a direct flight. Identify that airline, the single enroute stop and the equipment utilized.

China Airlines has been operating this route for a long time. I would guess with a 707 via HND.

You know, I was thinking that by 1984 China Airlines and its 747SPs were flying nonstop from SFO to TPE. However, per the 1983 OAG I see they were still flying classic 747s on a SFO-HNL-HND-TPE route. So, let's modify this question to say two airlines offered one-stop service between HNL and TPE, one of which was China Airlines. ^ Any thoughts on the other one?
Old Feb 26, 17, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
18. This early jet operator’s ads billed it as flying “The Route of the Red Ruanas”

Perhaps Avianca

Perhaps, indeed. ^

BTW, a ruana is a poncho-style outer garment typical of the Andes region of Venezuela and Colombia
Old Feb 26, 17, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
8. It’s the summer of 1984 and you need to fly from Honolulu to Taipei. There are no nonstops and only one airline offers a direct flight. Identify that airline, the single enroute stop and the equipment utilized.

China Airlines has been operating this route for a long time. I would guess with a 707 via HND.

You know, I was thinking that by 1984 China Airlines and its 747SPs were flying nonstop from SFO to TPE. However, per the 1983 OAG I see they were still flying classic 747s on a SFO-HNL-HND-TPE route. So, let's modify this question to say two airlines offered one-stop service between HNL and TPE, one of which was China Airlines. Any thoughts on the other one?
I do remember around this era that SQ was making forays into North America with 747-212Bs, and the TPAC flights stopped in HNL, but thought SIN-TYO would have been non-stop. I'm going to guess the route was SIN-TPE-NRT-HNL-SFO. The long HNL diversion killed the route and SQ went NRT-SFO as soon as it could.

As an FYI, would you believe CI is still operating TPE-TYO-HNL to this day? Stops in NRT now though.
Old Feb 26, 17, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Re. Question #8

I do remember around this era that SQ was making forays into North America with 747-212Bs, and the TPAC flights stopped in HNL, but thought SIN-TYO would have been non-stop. I'm going to guess the route was SIN-TPE-NRT-HNL-SFO. The long HNL diversion killed the route and SQ went NRT-SFO as soon as it could.

The airline was not Singapore. And the enroute stop was not in Japan. Please, keep up the good guesses! ^
Old Feb 26, 17, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Re. Question #8

The airline was not Singapore. And the enroute stop was not in Japan. Please, keep up the good guesses!
My final guess on this one. Air Micronesia, or Continental Air Micronesia via GUM with a 727-200 DC-10-30. Just looked at HNL-GUM and a 727 wouldn't have had the range for that.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Feb 26, 17 at 9:46 pm Reason: A/c tye answer change
Old Feb 26, 17, 7:28 pm

United Air Lines used Trader Vics for their Hawaiian themed catering. Continental responded with Don the Beachcomber's catering.

Braniff's lounges were called Council Rooms.

Western's lounges were called Horizon Clubs.
Old Feb 26, 17, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
19. What was the longest route flown in U.S. domestic service by a Convair 880?
my initial thought was Atlanta to the west coast on Delta, but that seems too obvious ... I'll guess that it was LAX-Cincinnati at ~1900 miles, operated by TWA
22. What was the longest route flown in U.S. domestic service by a Convair 990?
how about SFO-Chicago O'Hare, ~1850 miles, operated by American
Old Feb 27, 17, 1:06 am
Original Poster

My final guess on this one. Air Micronesia, or Continental Air Micronesia via GUM with a 727-200 DC-10-30. Just looked at HNL-GUM and a 727 wouldn't have had the range for that.

It was not Air Mike, but the aircraft was a DC-10-30...
Old Feb 27, 17, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JoeDTW View Post
1. What iconic restaurant chain catered Continental Airlines’ Hawaiian flights in the early 1970s?

United Air Lines used Trader Vics for their Hawaiian themed catering. Continental responded with Don the Beachcomber's catering.

Correct! I had the good fortune to experience First Class to or from Hawaii on both airlines in the 1970s and both were excellent. Interesting, both Trader Vic's and Don The Beachcomber claim to have invented the Mai Tai but per my tastes, United gets kudos for its Trader Vic's Mai Tais as poured in First Class. They remain the best Mai Tais I have ever had. Anywhere.

5. What was the name of Braniff International’s collection of airport lounges?

Braniff's lounges were called Council Rooms.

Correct!

14. What name did Western Airlines chose for its airport lounges?

Western's lounges were called Horizon Clubs.

Correct! I was a member of both and Western's was my favorite between the two though I never did manage to visit the Council Club at DAL or DFW. I'll bet it was much nicer than the one I visited most frequently at Denver's Stapleton
Old Feb 27, 17, 1:33 am
Original Poster

My initial thought was Atlanta to the west coast on Delta, but that seems too obvious ... I'll guess that it was LAX-Cincinnati at ~1900 miles, operated by TWA

A good start, J. ^ I don't want to identify the airline just yet at the risk of making this too easy, but I will say that the longest scheduled 880 flight was longer than 2000 miles...

How about SFO-Chicago O'Hare, ~1850 miles, operated by American

A good guess again, but remember - American had hoped to operate its 990s on coast-to-coast flights. Unfortunately, that never worked out but the longest flight was pretty close. Please, guess again!
Old Feb 27, 17, 2:03 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
"Correct! I had the good fortune to experience First Class to or from Hawaii on both airlines in the 1970s and both were excellent. Interesting, both Trader Vic's and Don The Beachcomber claim to have invented the Mai Tai but per my tastes, United gets kudos for its Trader Vic's Mai Tais as poured in First Class. They remain the best Mai Tais I have ever had. Anywhere."

I was informed by the barman at the Royal Hawaiian that Mai Tai's were invented there!
Old Feb 27, 17, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VH-RMD View Post
I was informed by the barman at the Royal Hawaiian that Mai Tai's were invented there!
I've heard that, too - because I went over to the Royal Hawaiian expressly to check out their Mai Tai's based upon that rumor. I've also heard that they were invented somewhere down in Tahiti. Ka mea ike. (Who knows?)

I do know that those $10.00 Mai Tais at the Royal Hawaiian were quite tasty but I still give the nod to United - if only for the many times experienced and fondly remembered ambiance of those big, plush seats next to those huge windows aboard a United DC-8 winging it to the Aloha State. To borrow a line from Western Airlines... Ah... the only way to fly!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 27, 17 at 2:58 pm
Old Feb 27, 17, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
22- "almost TCON" suggests Phoenix-JFK which per landings.com Distance Calculator is ~2150 miles

19- it would be too obvious were this the same answer, so how about Las Vegas-JFK at ~2240 miles
Old Feb 27, 17, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

"almost TCON" suggests Phoenix-JFK which per landings.com Distance Calculator is ~2150 miles

Correct! I wonder if any speed records were set on the eastbound leg?

It would be too obvious were this the same answer, so how about Las Vegas-JFK at ~ 2240 miles

Another good guess, but just a bit too far. The distance of the 880s longest U.S. revenue flight was within 20 miles of the 990's posted above...
Old Feb 27, 17, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Here are a few simple questions to hopefully tide you over for awhile. As always, even though many of you are well versed enough to scour your collective memories and - even at the risk of being wrong - stand a good chance of answering all of these questions correctly, please exercise restraint and limit your responses to just a couple of questions at a time so that others - including the occasional lurker - might also have a chance to participate should they so desire.

1. What iconic restaurant chain catered Continental Airlines’ Hawaiian flights in the early 1970s?
A N S W E R E D

2. In the early 1970s, Alaska Airlines introduced a new livery comprised of four Alaskan images on the tails of its 727 aircraft. Identify each of the four images and their respective colors.

3. What was the first turbofan powered airliner operated by TWA?
A N S W E R E D

4. Prior to United’s move to its current terminal at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport, on what two concourses were its gates located at ORD?

5. What was the name of Braniff International’s collection of airport lounges?
A N S W E R E D

6. What name did Chicago and Southern (C&S) Air Lines use to recognize its frequent flyers starting in 1940?

7. What was 'Cuauhtli' and what airline was it associated with?

8. It’s the summer of 1984 and you need to fly from Honolulu to Taipei. There are no nonstops and aside from China Airlines, only one other airline offers a direct flight. Identify that airline, the single enroute stop and the equipment utilized.
A N S W E R E D

9. Since we’re in Honolulu, can you identify which was the first jetliner to operate a revenue flight into Honolulu? We’re looking for airline and jet type. Where did it fly to Honolulu from?
A N S W E R E D

10. When Alaska Airlines introduced service between Seattle and San Francisco, it promoted its new flights with a new inflight service brand. Identify the name of that new service.
A N S W E R E D

11. What was the name of United’s transcon service brand back in 1985-87?

12. In 1972, to commemorate America’s upcoming bi-centennial, United unveiled an exciting new livery and a new brand of service for its long haul domestic routes. Describe the new livery and identify the name of the new service brand.

13. Can you identify all of the non-commuter airlines that operated jets in Delta’s family tree?
A N S W E R E D

14. What name did Western Airlines chose for its airport lounges?
A N S W E R E D

15. What airline did “Go-Getters” fly back in the 1960s?
A N S W E R E D

16. If you were flying aboard an aircraft marketed as “El InterAmericano Jet”, what airline and airplane would you be flying upon?

17. In 1962, this airline’s ads billed it as “The World’s Largest Airline”

18. This early jet operator’s ads billed it as flying “The Route of the Red Ruanas”
A N S W E R E D

A N S W E R E D

20. Identify two airlines that flew the Boeing 707, the Douglas DC-8 and the Convair 990

21. It’s 1962. Identify the three airlines that served Bermuda with Bristol Britannias.

A N S W E R E D

23. As of 1960, this large European airline provided international passenger helicopter service from its home base to Rotterdam, Antwerp, Lille, Eindhoven, Maastricht, Liege, Paris, Dortmund, Duisburg, Cologne and Bonn. Identify the airline and the primary helicopter utilized in these services.

24. It’s the summer of 1962, and you need to fly from Honolulu to Tahiti. Lucky you! You quickly place a call to Pan American World Airways to book a flight. What’s this?! Pan Am doesn’t serve Tahiti? Well I’ll be darned. The Pan Am agent kindly refers you to two other airlines that offer both First and Economy Class service between HNL and PPT. Identify the two airlines and the unique aircraft that each operates on its flights to Papeete.

25. An interesting bit of research has seemingly revealed that although one airline is widely considered to be the launch customer for Boeing’s 747SP, the world’s first revenue flight with the SP was actually flown by a different airline, one day earlier than that of the launch customer. This one might be good for a bit of discussion or even a definitive bit of clarity from our man in London. So then let’s start by identifying the launch customer for Boeing’s 747SP as well as the other airline that claims to have operated the world’s first revenue flight with the SP. While we’re at it, identify the routes flown by each airline on its inaugural flights.

26. It’s a sweltering afternoon in 1966 and you’re savoring your second gin and tonic in Freetown, Sierra Leone when a cable arrives from company headquarters requesting your assistance with a “small problem” up in London. Time is of the essence, Sir! Please get here as soon as possible! As luck would have it, the single weekly nonstop flight between FNA and LGW departs tomorrow at 1000. As luck would further have it, the flight is sold out in Economy Class but wait! There’s a single First Class seat available. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying aboard.

27. Despite its growing popularity, in 1966 only one airline operated Boeing’s 727 into Bombay, India - much less anywhere else in India. Identify the airline and the one stop route it flew from Bombay to its home base.

28. Over time, the French built Caravelle became a popular airliner in South America, particularly in the northern countries where many airlines operated second hand models. In the spring of 1966 however, only one airline not based in Argentina, Brazil or Chile was operating the Caravelle. Identify that airline and its primary base of operations.

29. In 1967, what was the world's longest nonstop scheduled flight? Identify the route as well as the airline and aircraft that operated it.

30. In 1966, most airlines configured their 4 engine jets with both First and Economy Class interiors. In the case of the Convair 880, two airlines operated versions in an all-economy class configuration. Identify both of those airlines.

31. In 1966, passengers flying nonstop between Paris and Beirut had a choice of three airlines. Amongst them were the usual suspects – Air France and Middle East Airlines. Identify the other airline serving this route in a non-5th Freedom capacity, as well as the aircraft it operated.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 1, 17 at 4:51 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: