Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old May 25, 12, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by WHBM
I think it's down to just us two, plus the lurkers...
I'm back to work in Denali National Park where for some reason the Wi-Fi service in our housing area is thus far non-existent. Occasionally I manage a short escape to a little coffee shop outside the park on the highway, but word is it'll be a couple of weeks before we're back online per normal standards.

Here's a couple to ponder...

1.) What airport currently provides the longest runway in the U.S.?

2.) What U.S. airline once provided "Ocean to Ocean" service?

3.) Which two airlines operated IL-62s between New York and Montreal?

4.) What was the only Mexican airline to operate the BAC-111?

5.) What was the only Mexican airline to operate the A310?

6.) What South American airline flew the L-1011?

7.) What Caribbean airline branded its jets as “Fiesta Jets”? What kind of jets were they?

8.) Name three Colombian operators of the Boeing 720B
Old May 25, 12, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA
I'll go for Aeroflot and CSA. Tarom might have been a contender at one time as well, not sure. LOT always preferred Toronto. The IL-62 was decidedly range-challenged to get to New York from Eastern Europe, and the Soviet fuel store at Shannon airport, good when routing to Havana, was not as much on the Great Circle for them as Montreal actually is. In the days when diplomatic and government rather than commercial and leisure travel prevailed on these carriers, Montreal was the Canadian point of choice rather than Toronto.

6.) What South American airline flew the L-1011?
AeroPeru and Faucett. AeroPeru picked up the old PSA fleet and operated them to Miami for some years; they remained registered in the USA rather than Peru. Faucett came along later, in the 1990s with a somewhat run-down small fleet, this time actually Peruvian registered.

Last edited by WHBM; May 25, 12 at 3:22 pm
Old May 25, 12, 3:31 pm

Programs: All of them!
2) United Airlines had "Ocean to Ocean" Service circa. 1977 onwards.
7) "Fiesta Jets" . I will venture to say BWIA 727 aircraft.
Old May 25, 12, 3:58 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
4) I think the BAC One-Eleven was flown by a very obscure Mexican operator: Aerotaxi Monse.

I know nothing about them....

5) I believe the A310 was operated by Aero Cancun.

BTW, witnessed an A300 departure from a vantage point (a helipad area) fairly close to the runway at ARA next to my office earlier this afternoon....operator was FedEx on a non-revenue ferry flight to MEM. Aircraft was at ARA for paint work at one of the Aviation Exteriors Louisiana, Inc. (AvEx) hangars......and right after that, a couple of U.S. Navy F/A-18 strike fighters landed in order to refuel after making the obligatory high speed passes over the runway. An exciting afternoon at otherwise sleepy ARA in south Looziana!

8) I think one of the B720B operators in Colombia was Avianca.
Old May 25, 12, 4:30 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
And here's several additional questions as we await the answers to the great questions posed above by Seat 2A......

1) Back in the winter 1976, three (3) airlines offered scheduled passenger jet service into Evansville, IN (EVV). Name the airlines and the equipment types they operated from EVV.

2) Also back in the winter of 1976, if one wanted to fly in a jet from Eureka/Arcata (ACV) to LAX, what airline flew the route and what type of equipment was operated? (Hint: the service was direct, no change of plane).

3) What airline operated the Fokker F100 into Fayetteville, AR (XNA)?

4) This Mexican resort jetport has scheduled airline service and is right on the beach with the runway being located parallel to the Pacific Ocean. Name the airport.
Old May 25, 12, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
Excluding air force bases, I believe the longest is at Denver -- 15,000 ft.
Old May 25, 12, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
And here's several additional questions as we await the answers to the great questions posed above by Seat 2A......

1) Back in the winter 1976, three (3) airlines offered scheduled passenger jet service into Evansville, IN (EVV). Name the airlines and the equipment types they operated from EVV.
Assuming nothing changed from winter 1974, they would be:

Allegheny -- BAC 111
Delta -- DC9
Eastern -- DC9, 727
Old May 25, 12, 5:04 pm

Programs: All of them!
3) XNA air service using F100 aircraft---American Airlines

Last edited by cs57; May 25, 12 at 5:05 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 25, 12, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by miniliq View Post
Assuming nothing changed from winter 1974, they would be:

Allegheny -- BAC 111
Delta -- DC9
Eastern -- DC9, 727
Great answer!

Allegheny (AL) had replaced BAC One-Eleven service into EVV at this time with DC-9-30 service (but still operated the BAC 1-11 on other routes). Nonstop or direct destinations included BDL, BOS, BUF, CAK, CVG, EWR, IND, LGA, PIT and ROC.

Delta operated the DC-9-30 into EVV eight (8) times a day with either nonstop or direct service to ATL, BHM, BOS, ORD, DTW, IAH, IND, LIT, MEM, PAH, RDU and SHV.

Eastern operated the DC-9-30, B727-100 and B727-200 into EVV. Nonstop or direct destinations included ATL, BOS, DCA, EWR, FMY, MOB, SDF and STL.
Old May 25, 12, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by cs57 View Post
3) XNA air service using F-100 aircraft. That would be American Airlines.
You are correct, sir! Routes included DFW-XNA and ORD-XNA.

Currently, AA mainline flies into XNA with the MD-80/MD-83 while AA Eagle serves the airport with Canadair CRJ-700 and Embraer ERJ-135/140/145 equipment.

And at one point, AA Eagle actually operated a CRJ-700 nonstop LAX-XNA; however, this service was discontinued.

Last edited by jlemon; May 25, 12 at 5:28 pm Reason: Additional info
Old May 25, 12, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post

In addition to Avianca as answered by jlemon, I'd add Aerocondor Colombia (OD), and SAM Colombia (MM) (a subsidiary of AV).
Old May 26, 12, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by jlemon View Post

2) Also back in the winter of 1976, if one wanted to fly in a jet from Eureka/Arcata (ACV) to LAX, what airline flew the route and what type of equipment was operated? (Hint: the service was direct, no change of plane).

3) What airline operated the Fokker F100 into Fayetteville, AR (XNA)?

4) This Mexican resort jetport has scheduled airline service and is right on the beach with the runway being located parallel to the Pacific Ocean. Name the airport.
I'll go ahead and close out the last two questions as I have ten more ready to go....

2) Hughes Air West with DC-9-10 and DC-9-30 service.

From ACV to LAX, there were two daily direct flights, including RW flt. #1, a D9S with a routing of ACV-SFO-LAX-TUS-MZT-GDL. RW 935 operated every day except on Saturdays with a DC-9 series 10 on a routing of SEA-PDX-MFR-ACV-SFO-MRY-LAX. The other flight had a different routing on Saturdays: RW 909 operated SEA-YKM-PSC-EUG-ACV-SFO-LAX-TUS with a DC-9 series 10.

Heading back in the other direction from LAX to ACV, there were two daily direct flights with an additional Saturday only service. RW flt. #2, operated with a D9S, flew a routing of GDL-MZT-TUS-LAX-SFO-ACV. The routing for RW 983 was PHX-TUS-LAX-MRY-SFO-ACV-MFR-PDX-SEA flown with a DC-9 series 10. The Saturday only service, RW 936, had a routing of LAX-SFO-ACV-EUG-PSC-YKM-SEA and was flown with a D9S.

Note that RW 1 and 2 respectively originated and terminated in ACV with direct international service to and from Mazatlan and Guadalajara at this time. So they could have named ACV "Eureka/Arcata International Airport" (but I don't think they did).

And speaking of Mexico....

4) Manzanillo (ZLO). The entire length of the runway is just a stones throw away from the breaking surf of the Pacific Ocean.
Old May 26, 12, 9:35 am

The year is 1976 and it is late winter with spring just around the corner. Gerald Ford is President of the United States. However, in just two short years, Jimmy Carter will be in the White House. And President Carter will appoint Alfred Kahn as head of the Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB), the government agency which previously regulated the airlines. Mr. Kahn will subsequently deregulate the airline industry and thus put the CAB out of business. The airline business will be forever changed.....

But for now, it is business as usual with the CAB telling the airlines where they can fly, what they can charge and so on and so forth.

Our location is New York City during the months of February and March, 1976. Here are the quiz questions:

1) If one wanted to fly in a jet from New York City to Elmira (ELM), what airline would you travel on and what type of equipment would you fly on? (Hint: this carrier operated two different jet aircraft types on the route).

2) What airline operated B747 service between New York and Milwaukee (MKE)?

3) If one wanted to fly on a DC-10 between New York and Mexico City (MEX), what airline would you travel on?

4) If you wanted to fly on a jet from New York to Amarillo (AMA) direct with no change of plane, what airlines would you fly on? Also name the aircraft types used on the route. (Hint: you would have your choice of two airlines).

5) What airline flew nonstop between New York and Anchorage (ANC) with a DC-8 Super 60 series?

6) If one wanted to fly from New York to Beaumont/Port Arthur (BPT) in Texas in a jet with direct, no change of plane service, what airline would you travel on? Also name the aircraft type.

7) What airline flew direct from New York to Fort De France (FDF) in the Caribbean? Also name the aircraft type.

8) What airline operated B747 service between New York and Bermuda (BDA)?

9) If you wanted to fly nonstop from New York to Kingston, Jamaica (KIN) on a B707, what airline would you choose? (Hint: you would have your choice of two airlines operating the B707 nonstop on this route). Also, if you wanted to fly nonstop from New York to Kingston on a DC-9-30, what airline would you fly on?

10) What airline operated a B707-320 (B3J) nonstop from Newark (EWR) to New York Kennedy Airport (JFK) twice a week and where did this flight originate from?

Last edited by jlemon; May 26, 12 at 9:44 am
Old May 26, 12, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Ah... it's good to see the old gang back at it! Indeed, it warms the cockles of my heart, what ever "cockles" are...

Right on, miniliq, but that would be inclusive of U.S. Air Force bases as well. DIA's is the longest in North America at 16000 feet.

2.) What U.S. airline once provided "Ocean to Ocean" service?

cs57 is correct. It was United and a fine service it was, too. Much nicer than that low budget imitation they call PS these days.

Per my OAGs, it was CSA and LOT. I don't show any Aeroflot service on this route, but that's not to say it never was. Do you have any further info. on Aeroflot's service, WHBM?

4.) What was the only Mexican airline to operate the BAC-111?

Hmm... I never heard of Aerotaxi Monse, jlemon. But I Googled it and by golly, there it was. Make that "What TWO Mexican airlines..." The other was SARO, of which I have a postcard. Good call.

5.) What was the only Mexican airline to operate the A310?

Correct again, Mr. Lemon! It was Aero Cancun.

6.) What South American airline(s) flew the L-1011?

As ever, WHBM has provided us not only with the correct answer but some great color commentary as well. Thank you!

7.) What Caribbean airline branded its jets as “Fiesta Jets”? What kind of jets were they?

Alas cs57, it was not BWIA 727s. I believe those were called "Sunjets" but I'm not sure. I'll leave this one out there...

miniliq is correct with Avianca, SAM Colombia and Aerocondor.
Old May 26, 12, 10:46 am
Original Poster

An excellent assortment of queries to commence the weekend, jlemon. 1976 was a great time to fly!

1) If one wanted to fly in a jet from New York City to Elmira (ELM), what airline would you travel on and what type of equipment would you fly on? (Hint: this carrier operated two different jet aircraft types on the route).

I'm thinking it had to be Allegheny, with BAC-111 and DC-9-30 service. I did two Liberty Fare (Unlimited Mileage) tickets with AL but somehow never did manage a flight through ELM.

3) If one wanted to fly on a DC-10 between New York and Mexico City (MEX), what airline would you travel on?

That would be AeroMexico. The other airline operated L-1011s.

5) What airline flew nonstop between New York and Anchorage (ANC) with a DC-8 Super 60 series?

A little bit of a trick question here inasmuch as one could not purchase a domestic ticket aboard that DC-8-62. That's because it was flown by Japan Air Lines as part of a JFK-ANC-NRT trip. (Was Narita open in 1976 or was it still Haneda?)

9) If you wanted to fly nonstop from New York to Kingston, Jamaica (KIN) on a B707, what airline would you choose? (Hint: you would have your choice of two airlines operating the B707 nonstop on this route). Also, if you wanted to fly nonstop from New York to Kingston on a DC-9-30, what airline would you fly on?

Good question! I seem to recall BWIA operating 707s into Kingston, but then so did Lufthansa (I think...) It seems surprising that by 1976 LH would still be operating a 707 trans-Atlantic flight though, so I'm going to go with BWIA and Pan Am on the 707s with Air Jamaica providing the DC-9-30 service.

By the way, if any of you want to stroll down memory lane, some years ago I submitted a trip report of some travels I did during the summer of 1976. You'll find it HERE.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: