Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old May 15, 12, 9:56 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
And we have "breaking news" this morning concerning sleepy little Santa Maria, CA (SMX)......

Effective Nov. 17, Allegiant (G4) will operate SMX-HNL nonstop with an ETOPS certified B757-200. I think the frequency will be once a week and also believe the aircraft will actually be based in HNL. G4 made this announcement this morning along with some other new nonstop routes to the Hawaiian Islands including BLI-HNL, BLI-OGG, EUG-HNL and SCK-HNL, all flown with 757s. G4 previously announced new B757 FAT-HNL and LAS-HNL nonstop service as well.

This may well be the biggest thing ever to happen at SMX specifically with regard to scheduled airline service (not to mention EUG and SCK)......

Last edited by jlemon; May 15, 12 at 3:44 pm Reason: Additional route info
Old May 15, 12, 2:03 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
I will just throw this in

in the 60s before color TV there was a commercial from Western Airlines that "said" they had a special way to broadcast color and I think you had to guess what the color of the airlines tail was......

Now that I know more I do not think it was possible on a B+W TV , but it sure got a lot of people to stay around and watch the end of the commercial

Soarer
Old May 16, 12, 9:21 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
Good Afternoon Everyone!

The following questions are up for grabs....any takers?

1) What airline operated Boeing 737 jet service into Sun Valley, Idaho (SUN)?

9) Name an airline that operated into Vandenberg Air Force Base (VBG) in California. In addition, name the type of aircraft used. There was also a restriction concerning passengers enplaning and deplaning at VBG. What was this restriction?

11) This new start up airline, which operated B737-200 aircraft, had the motto "Opportunities are flying". Name this domestic airline.

14) What airline operated jet service into Santa Maria, CA (SMX) in the past and what airline currently operates jet service into SMX? Also name the jet aircraft types used to service SMX by these two respective air carriers.

15) Quebecair operated three (3) different jet aircraft types including the BAC One-Eleven. Name the other two types of jet equipment operated by QB and also name a turboprop aircraft type flown by this air carrier.

16) What airline operated jet service into Yuma, Arizona (YUM)? Also name the jet aircraft type used.

17) What U.S. airline operated a domestic route into Phoenix (PHX) using the Boeing 747-400? Also name the U.S. city served with the 744 from PHX by this airline.

Hope everyone is having a fine weekend!
I'll go ahead and close out the three remaining questions here....

1) America West with a routing of PHX-SUN. BTW, the other airline that operated jet service into Sun Valley was Horizon Air with the Fokker F28 "Fellowship" with SFO-SUN and SEA-SUN routings.

11) Air South. This was the new start up jet version of Air South which was based in Columbia, SC (CAE). The other, earlier version of Air South was based at ATL and operated F-27 and B99 turboprops as well as the Martin 404. And I think there were several other small commuter airline versions that used the name Air South, too.

16) America West with B737-200 equipment. Routing was PHX-YUM. This was back when America West was also operating the 737 into Flagstaff, AZ (FLG) on occasion as a back up for their turboprop feeder service between FLG and PHX at the time. BTW, I had thought that Air West might have operated the DC-9 into YUM at one point; however, I can find no evidence of this. It appears that RW (as well as Bonanza) only operated the Fairchild F-27 into YUM.

P.S. And YUM now has jet service once again: SkyWest, flying as US Airways Express, is currently operating Canadair CRJ200 service PHX-YUM (and also PHX-FLG).

Last edited by jlemon; May 16, 12 at 1:49 pm Reason: P.S.
Old May 23, 12, 5:38 am

Programs: BA
All gone a bit quiet.....

OK, I am looking at an old Eastern timetable. There are 24 flights a day from New York La Guardia to Washington National. Anyone care to guess the year ?
Old May 23, 12, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
All gone a bit quiet.....

OK, I am looking at an old Eastern timetable. There are 24 flights a day from New York La Guardia to Washington National. Anyone care to guess the year ?
Glad to see someone picked up the gauntlet!

This sounds like the EA Air Shuttle service. I'll guess 1975.
Old May 23, 12, 11:18 am

jlemon is a little bit out. Anyone else ?

Actually the Shuttle in the year given was hourly from about 7 am to 9 pm, so that would be about 15 a day rather than 24. There would have been extra backups, but these would not be apparent from the timetable.

Last edited by WHBM; May 23, 12 at 11:27 am
Old May 23, 12, 1:19 pm

jlemon is a little bit out. Anyone else ?

Actually the Shuttle in the year given was hourly from about 7 am to 9 pm, so that would be about 15 a day rather than 24. There would have been extra backups, but these would not be apparent from the timetable.
Well, I wondered about that as I seem to recall the EA Air Shuttle service was hourly in nature......and if I remember correctly, the Air Shuttle flights did not even have flight numbers assigned.......

So I take it the nine other EA flights were in addition to the Air Shuttle frequencies? Also, can you share with us what type of equipment was being used?

BTW, I only flew on the EA Air Shuttle twice via a BOS-LGA roundtrip. This was back in the late 80's and I believe the aircraft being used at that time was the 72S.
Old May 23, 12, 1:34 pm

Also, can you share with us what type of equipment was being used?.
I'm afraid that would give it away too much. I'll just say it was twin engined
Old May 23, 12, 1:53 pm

I'm afraid that would give it away too much. I'll just say it was twin engined
Ah, perhaps it was the DC-9 then!

I think you may also recall that at one point EA kept a Lockheed L-188 Electra on stand by as a dedicated back up for the Air Shuttle. And if only one passenger was left behind due to an Air Shuttle aircraft departing full, EA was then known to quickly operate the Electra as an extra section flight in order to make good on their promise of a guaranteed seat!
Old May 23, 12, 2:56 pm

Ah, perhaps it was the DC-9 then!!
Well, at least the manufacturer is correct .....
Old May 23, 12, 3:23 pm

Well, at least the manufacturer is correct .....
Well, then, perhaps my wild guess of 1975 is a bit farther off the mark than I thought!

Are you referring to the DC-3, sir?!
Old May 23, 12, 4:23 pm

I think it's down to just us two, plus the lurkers.

24 flights a day LGA to DCA with one airline - prewar ! Yes, it's with Eastern DC3s.

Here's the complete timetable for Eastern, spring 1941.

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...a41/ea41-1.jpg
http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...a41/ea41-2.jpg

Bonus question - who was their main competition on this route at the time, with 17 daily flights ?
Old May 23, 12, 4:41 pm

I think it's down to just us two, plus the lurkers.

24 flights a day LGA to DCA with one airline - prewar ! Yes, it's with Eastern DC3s.

Here's the complete timetable for Eastern, spring 1941.

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...a41/ea41-1.jpg
http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...a41/ea41-2.jpg

Bonus question - who was their main competition on this route at the time, with 17 daily flights ?
I'll guess it was American.
Old May 23, 12, 4:50 pm

Programs: All of them!
American Airlines--4/41--17 flights New York-Washington
first departure at 6:45AM--last departure at 11;15PM.
The American Airlines timetable says "Douglas Equipment" and it being 1941, DC3 aircraft.
Old May 23, 12, 7:23 pm

I think you may also recall that at one point EA kept a Lockheed L-188 Electra on stand by as a dedicated back up for the Air Shuttle. And if only one passenger was left behind due to an Air Shuttle aircraft departing full, EA was then known to quickly operate the Electra as an extra section flight in order to make good on their promise of a guaranteed seat!
I actually picked up quite a bit of knowledge about Shuttle operations from a retired guy at my flying club who used to play a part in the British Airways Shuttle operations team from London to Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Belfast, which came on stream in the 1970s and were very much based on th Eastern operation in the US. They were given up in the 1990s because there were better things to do with Heathrow slots than keep them for backups.

Among very many stories shared in the clubhouse (some hilarious), he said that the "one extra passenger" backup never actually happened in his time, because with an hourly frequency, and with the backup operating 10 minutes behind the main flight, even if there was just one passenger at cutoff, by the time the flight left there would be those coming for the next flight; his lowest ever passenger count for a backup was about 9. Far more of an issue was when they were swamped and every backup was in the air. There was a huge amount of cleverness involved in the operation, particularly in predicting the loads.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: