Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old May 12, 12, 10:26 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
Now then ..... it depends what you mean by "operated". It was actually operated for them in a partial paint scheme by British Eagle.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/155409/
Well, WHBM, I must admit I was "fishin' a bit" there as I assumed another air carrier was actually the operator......and indeed, such was the case.

Thank you for the excellent photo of the BAC One-Eleven as well! ^
Old May 12, 12, 10:29 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by cs57 View Post
3) European Airline that called their DC8-62 aircraft "Super Fan"----
It was SAS, and they used the -62 from 1967 to 1988.
Correct! I believe SAS also operated the stretched super DC-8-63 as well.......
Old May 12, 12, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
10) This airline, which operated Fairchild F-27 and DeHavilland of Canada DHC-6 "Twin Otter" turboprops, was merged into Wien Air Alaska. Name the airline. Also, what was special about this airline's F-27 equipment?
That would be Northern Consolidated Airlines, which had an impressive network of service in Alaska. In 1960 it had seventeen scheduled stops with its F-27s, and another thirteen served by "bush planes." NCA also offered a 90-minute sightseeing tour of Mt. McKinley --for $17.
I don't know what was special about the F-27 -- was it the large cargo doors http:////http:vilda.alaska.edu/cdm/s...id/8551/rec/25 or rear-access stairs http:////http:vilda.alaska.edu/cdm/s...id/3465/rec/35?

NCA acquired two Twin Otters in 1967 -- I don't know about their routes.

Last edited by miniliq; May 12, 12 at 4:54 pm Reason: delete duplicate quote, change image link
Old May 12, 12, 4:50 pm

Good Afternoon Everyone!

The following questions are up for grabs....any takers?

1) What airline operated Boeing 737 jet service into Sun Valley, Idaho (SUN)?

9) Name an airline that operated into Vandenberg Air Force Base (VBG) in California. In addition, name the type of aircraft used. There was also a restriction concerning passengers enplaning and deplaning at VBG. What was this restriction?

11) This new start up airline, which operated B737-200 aircraft, had the motto "Opportunities are flying". Name this domestic airline.

14) What airline operated jet service into Santa Maria, CA (SMX) in the past and what airline currently operates jet service into SMX? Also name the jet aircraft types used to service SMX by these two respective air carriers.

15) Quebecair operated three (3) different jet aircraft types including the BAC One-Eleven. Name the other two types of jet equipment operated by QB and also name a turboprop aircraft type flown by this air carrier.

16) What airline operated jet service into Yuma, Arizona (YUM)? Also name the jet aircraft type used.

17) What U.S. airline operated a domestic route into Phoenix (PHX) using the Boeing 747-400? Also name the U.S. city served with the 744 from PHX by this airline.

Hope everyone is having a fine weekend!

Last edited by jlemon; May 16, 12 at 7:47 am
Old May 12, 12, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by miniliq View Post
That would be Northern Consolidated Airlines, which had an impressive network of service in Alaska. In 1960 it had seventeen scheduled stops with its F-27s, and another thirteen served by "bush planes." NCA also offered a 90-minute sightseeing tour of Mt. McKinley --for $17.
I don't know what was special about the F-27 -- was it the large cargo doors http:////http:vilda.alaska.edu/cdm/s...id/8551/rec/25 or rear-access stairs http:////http:vilda.alaska.edu/cdm/s...id/3465/rec/35?

NCA acquired two Twin Otters in 1967 -- I don't know about their routes.
Correct! Northern Consolidated Airlines (NCA) operated the Fairchild F-27B which was a Combi version with a large cargo door and a moveable bulkhead. This enabled NCA to fly outsized cargo in addition to passengers. The F-27B was special as NCA was the only operator to order this variant new.
Old May 12, 12, 6:48 pm

Programs: All of them!
17) 747-400 domestic service
This was Northwest, with service from MSP starting on 2/9/89. (route for crew training?).
Old May 12, 12, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
15) Quebecair operated three (3) different jet aircraft types including the BAC One-Eleven. Name the other two types of jet equipment operated by QB and also name a turboprop aircraft type flown by this air carrier.
jlemon -- we need more time!

Anyway, the other jets were the 727 and 737; one of the turboprops was the HS-748. QB also used 707s and DC-8s for charters to the Caribbean.
Old May 13, 12, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by cs57 View Post
17) 747-400 domestic service
This was Northwest, with service from MSP starting on 2/9/89. (route for crew training?).
Correct again! Some years ago, I was connecting through PHX and saw a NW B747-400 land. NW had just taken delivery of new 744s and was flying them domestically before placing them into international service.

CO did the same thing with their B777-200s. I flew on a CO 772 IAH-LAX in F (BusinessFirst cabin) back when the airplane had just been delivered.

UA also flew the 744 domestically although they had been flying the type for quite awhile. I remember flying LAX-DEN in C. This was my first flight on a 744.
Old May 13, 12, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by miniliq View Post
jlemon -- we need more time!

Anyway, the other jets were the 727 and 737; one of the turboprops was the HS-748. QB also used 707s and DC-8s for charters to the Caribbean.
You got it! And add to that the F-27 turboprop.
Old May 13, 12, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
14) What airline operated jet service into Santa Maria, CA (SMX) in the past and what airline currently operates jet service into SMX? Also name the jet aircraft types used to service SMX by these two respective air carriers.

I'm thinking PSA used to serve SMX with BAe-146 "Smileliners" and currently the community is served by Allegiant MD-80s.
Old May 13, 12, 10:46 am

9) Name an airline that operated into Vandenberg Air Force Base (VBG) in California. In addition, name the type of aircraft used. There was also a restriction concerning passengers enplaning and deplaning at VBG. What was this restriction?

I'll take a crack at combining the answers to these two -- you'll have to correct my errors:
9) Pacific Airlines operated Martin 202s or 404s into VBG in the 1960s; a footnote on the airline schedule says "passengers are subject to Military Security Control" -- don't know exactly what that meant, but you can guess (or maybe you know).
14) After the 1968 merger of Pacific, Bonanza, and West Coast to form Air West, I believe service to VBG continued for about a year, then switched to SMX, with F-27s. Pacific had acquired 737s prior to the merger, but I don't think they were used to SMX. In 1973 Hughes Airwest had jet service to SMX, probably DC-9s. Today, SMX is served by Allegiant (MD-80s) and Skywest (dba United Express) with EMB-120s.

edit: Seat 2A, sorry I didn't see your post before I added mine -- you're probably right on PSA.

Last edited by miniliq; May 13, 12 at 10:49 am Reason: correction
Old May 13, 12, 4:41 pm

Great answers from Seat 2A and miniliq!

9) Pacific Airlines and Air West both served Vandenberg Air Force Base (VBG) on the coast of California near Santa Maria. Air West simply continued the service after the merger between Pacific, Bonanza and West Coast was consummated. I do not know about the Martin service into VBG but I do know that Pacific operated the Fairchild F-27 with a routing of SFO-SJC-PRB-VBG-SMX-OXR-LAX. Air West flew the same route with an F-27 as well.

Both the Pacific and Air West timetables had this statement concerning VBG: "The right to enplane and deplane at Vandenberg Air Force Base (VAFB) is subject to military security control". This is because VAFB is home to a huge military space launch complex. In fact, VAFB is USAF's west coast equivalent to the Kennedy Space Center (KSC) in Florida. KSC is home to the Eastern Test Range while VAFB is home to the Western Test Range. VAFB has conducted numerous classified space launches over the years using Titan III-C and Titan IV space boosters that were most likely carrying spy satellites into orbit. The Titan series remain the largest rockets ever used by the USAF, although the Saturn V rockets used by NASA for the Apollo missions from KSC were larger. When I lived on the coast in Shell Beach just north of VAFB, we would get word that a Titan launch was imminent and then watch these huge rockets roar into space. They were very impressive! USAF also routinely tests Minuteman III and Peacekeeper ICBMs from VAFB (without their nuclear weapons payloads, of course). These ICBMs are launched using an "suborbital lob" trajectory to Kwajalein Island west of Honolulu in the Pacific. (BTW, Kwajalein (KWA) in the Marshall Islands is on the old CO Air Mike milk run route between HNL and GUM that is now operated by UA with a 738). And VAFB was meant to be the home of USAF space shuttle missions. The runway at VBG was expanded to 15,000 feet specifically for use by landing shuttles and the Space Launch Complex Six (SLC-6, known as "Slick Six") facility was constructed on the coast for shuttle launches. However, after the "Challenger" disaster, the decision was made by USAF not to operate shuttle missions from VAFB. One can still see the SLC-6 pad as it is located adjacent to a civilian rail line used by Amtrak as well as by local passenger trains that cross through quite a bit of VAFB on the coast between Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo. Many years ago, I had the opportunity to visit VAFB and SLC-6 back when my Dad was an aerospace engineer working for Boeing on the shuttle program for NASA.

14) As noted above, the Pacific and Air West F-27 service to VBG also stopped at Santa Maria (SMX). Then Air West ceased serving VBG. Service to SMX was upgauged to a DC-9 but not for long as the local traffic would not support jet equipment. Air West finally pulled out of SMX altogether. And so, SMX had regional turboprop service for many years (SkyWest & Wings West Metros, AA Eagle & UA Express Jetstream 31s and even Swift Aire Fokker F27s, which were purchased new from Fokker, as well as other turboprop types including Nord 262s, Beechcraft C99s and Embraer EMB-110s) until Allegiant showed up flying SMX-LAS a couple of times a week with either an MD-80 or MD-87.

Last edited by jlemon; May 14, 12 at 7:49 am Reason: Terminology & additional info
Old May 14, 12, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
6) True or false: Swissair operated BAC One-Eleven aircraft at one point.

Now then ..... it depends what you mean by "operated". It was actually operated for them in a partial paint scheme by British Eagle.
I'll just add a bit more, now I'm back after yet another long trip. British Eagle operated a One-Eleven for Swissair for a year, April 1967 to April 1968, changing over from aircraft G-ATVH to G-ATPK in November 1967. British Eagle were struggling for cash at this time, they had dropped some of their own runs and leased out their One-Elevens to various carriers, Swissair, SAS and later KLM, all of whom had ordered DC-9s and were experiencing delivery delays with these. This was at the time when Douglas got late with their new aircraft production. I don't know how much the leases were financially supported by Douglas.

All operated their aircraft on routes to the UK, where they were integrated for crew scheduling with British Eagle's own operations. It didn't overcome their cash flow issues, and they went out of business 6 months after the end of the Swissair lease.
Old May 14, 12, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Did those one-elevens ever wear Swissair or KLM's liveries? (I have a postcard of a BAC-111 in SAS livery)
Old May 14, 12, 11:53 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
Did those one-elevens ever wear Swissair or KLM's liveries? (I have a postcard of a BAC-111 in SAS livery)
Yes they did. The link above was a Swissair one and here's KLM

http://www.airliners.net/photo/KLM--...ven/1842212/M/

Search this Thread
Search Engine: