Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
What a great set of questions by jlemon! Perusing the previous page, I am reminded of a Cy Young pitcher in his prime as endless batters whiff at his best stuff. And finally, jrl767 breaks out with an infield single! Well done, boys!

Yours truly got good news from the neurosurgeon yesterday. The lobotomy went well and so the hard plastic neck brace - which I've had to wear 24/7 since October 7th - can finally be discarded in favor of a soft cervical collar. While a full recovery is still some months away, we're off to a good start! My old walker has been sent to the Goodwill and I'm walking more and more without a cane. Saturday I get a big test as I fly all the way from Denver back up to Fairbanks - without adult supervision! On an equally positive note I've already been upgraded on both flights.

Speaking of flights, I recently stumbled across a Star Alliance mileage sale highlighted by a 50% bonus on mileage purchases over 20000 miles. A bit of research revealed that for just 30000 miles each way I could score a Business Class ticket between China and the South Pacific. Hmm...

Checking out the possibilities, I discovered some great routings between Taipei and Nadi, Fiji. I quickly plunked down the requisite funds and booked myself the following Business Class flights for just 60000 miles...

Taipei to Seoul Thai Airways A330-300 Luncheon
Seoul to Sydney Asiana 777-200 Dinner/Breakfast
Sydney to Auckland Air New Zealand 787-9 Dinner
Auckland to Nadi Air New Zealand 777-200 Luncheon

Nadi to Auckland Air New Zealand 777-300 Luncheon
Auckland to Beijing Air China 787-9 Dinner/Breakfast
Beijing to Shanghai Air China A330-300 Breakfast
Shanghai to Taipei EVA Air 747-400 Luncheon

Travel between the US and Asia will involve a First Class suite aboard Cathay Pacific's 777-300. I've also booked a roundabout multi-stop routing between Hong Kong and Taipei involving the following airlines and aircraft:

Los Angeles to Hong Kong Cathay Pacific 777-300 Luncheon/Dinner (First Class)
Hong Kong to Manila Cathay Pacific A350-900 Breakfast (Business Class)
Manila to Singapore Cebu Pacific A330-300
Singapore to Kuala Lumpur Malaysian 737-800
Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok Malaysian 737-800
Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur Ethiopian 787-8 Snack
Kuala Lumpur to Jakarta Malindo Air 737-900 Dinner (Business Class)
Jakarta to Bali Garuda 737-800
Bali to Singapore KLM 777-300
Singapore to Taipei Scoot 787-9 Luncheon (Business Class)

The return from Taiwan to the US will be in Business Class as follows...

Taiwan to Beijing Hainan Airlines 737-800 Dinner
Beijing to Boston Hainan Airlines 787-9 Dinner/Breakfast

So as you can see, I've been pretty busy of late booking the above flights, not to mention hotels for longer stays in Bali and Nadi. When I get home Saturday, I can turn my attention to once again contributing to the questions here at the OTAQ&D.

Once again, a multitude of well deserved thanks to jlemon for his most recent batch of fine questions as well as appreciation to all of you for your ongoing participation.

On that note, let me have a try at this one...

9. In 1986, this air carrier was operating one direct flight a week from Detroit to Honolulu with a wide body aircraft. One intermediate stop was made en route. Flight 915 departed DTW at 10:00 am and arrived HNL at 3:30 pm. Identify the airline, the equipment and the stop.

Ever on the lookout for obscure airlines and routings, I recall once coming up with a question involving an airline that operated single class L-1011s between Honolulu and the west coast. I'm pretty sure that same airline also offered service into Las Vegas and Detroit. That airline was Air America and I believe it may very well be the same airline referenced in this question. The routing would have been via Los Angeles.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 30, 2016 at 11:15 am
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Yours truly got good news from the neurosurgeon yesterday. The lobotomy went well and so the hard plastic neck brace - which I've had to wear 24/7 since October 7th - can finally be discarded in favor of a soft cervical collar....

9. In 1986, this air carrier was operating one direct flight a week from Detroit to Honolulu with a wide body aircraft. One intermediate stop was made en route. Flight 915 departed DTW at 10:00 am and arrived HNL at 3:30 pm. Identify the airline, the equipment and the stop.

Ever on the lookout for obscure airlines and routings, I recall once coming up with a question involving an airline that operated single class L-1011s between Honolulu and the west coast. I'm pretty sure that same airline also offered service into Las Vegas and Detroit. That airline was Air America and I believe it may very well be the same airline referenced in this question. The routing would have been via Los Angeles.
Ah....was that a frontal lobotomy or a bottle in front of you?

And Air America is indeed correct! Flight 915 operated once a week on Tuesdays only from Detroit. The L-1011 made an intermediate stop in Los Angeles, arriving at 11:15 am and then departed LAX at 12:00 noon for Honolulu.

Glad to hear you're on the mend, Seat 2A!
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
that is quite an adventure ahead of you, sir! ... and I had no idea ET had Fifth Freedom traffic rights between BKK and KUL
Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
I had no idea ET had Fifth Freedom traffic rights between BKK and KUL
Indeed they do. Best of all, I scored that ticket aboard Ethiopian's 787-8 for just $83.00 USD.

Two other flights that I am looking forward to from that itinerary are the Business Class flights aboard Malindo Air's 737-900 ($134.00) and Scoot's 787-9 ($183.00). Check 'em out below...

Malindo Air's 737-900 Business Class

Scoot's 787 Business Class

Additionally, here is a link showing quite a few Fifth Freedom routes...

http://www.flypointyend.com/5th-freedom-flights/
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
ok, this has languished far too long ...
Trivia Question:
what was the significance of this image on the front cover of a Boeing telephone directory?
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
1988 saw the first 747-400 and 737-400 roll out.
indeed -- now can you (or anyone) elaborate with a bit more detail?
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Since the two aircraft are surrounded by what appear to be the leads of an IC chip, I am going to say it also marks the advent of the glass cockpit?
no; that facilitated the common type rating for pilots of the 757 and 767 (both rolled out in 1981)
the answer I was looking for is that both jets rolled out on 26 Jan 1988 ... the photo is obviously a montage: the 737-400 was unveiled at the Renton plant, whereas the 747-400 emerged from the Everett factory three and a half hours later
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

4. Now it's the spring of 1984 and you are in New Orleans. You need to travel to Little Rock for a lunch meeting. You've found a daily nonstop flight which departs MSY at 10:00 am and arrives in LIT at 10:55 am. Identify the airline and the jet equipment. The airline was not Texas International, Delta or Southwest and the equipment was not a DC9, D9S or 73S but was a 727.
I'll go ahead and answer this one....

The airline was Northeastern International Airways (QS) with one daily round trip nonstop between New Orleans and Little Rock. Equipment was a Boeing 727 (although I am unsure whether it was a series 100 or 200).

Back in 1984, Northeastern International was operating a small hub at MSY. Besides the LIT service, nonstops were operated between New Orleans and LAS, LAX, OKC, PIE, MCO, FLL and MIA while direct onestop service was flown between MSY and SAN, MCI, TUL and PBI. Equipment operated by QS into New Orleans during its existence included the A300 and DC8 in addition to the B727-100 and B727-200.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8. In 1985, this airline ran a print ad entitled "See Buffalo On The Great Planes". However, this same air carrier was only operating one nonstop route from Buffalo by late 1985. Name the airline and identify the route. Hint: the airline in question was not a new start up air carrier but had been in existence for quite some time. ANSWERED

10. In 1986, Piedmont entered into an agreement with another airline to provide connecting service to and from 19 destinations via a major east coast airport. Name the air carrier that PI had the agreement with as well as the airport where the connecting service was offered. Hint: the air carrier in question was a major airline. ANSWERED
And still looking for answers for the above two quiz items.....plus, as Seat 2A is winging his way back to FAI today and will be submitting a new batch in the near future, it's now last call for these two with answers to be provided tomorrow should there be no takers.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 3, 2016 at 4:16 pm Reason: last call for these two! And both now answered!
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... last call ... with answers to be provided tomorrow should there be no takers.
10. In 1986, Piedmont entered into an agreement with another airline to provide connecting service to and from 19 destinations via a major east coast airport. Name the air carrier that PI had the agreement with as well as the airport where the connecting service was offered. Hint: the air carrier in question was a major airline
I recall PI had a hublet at Orlando (MCO) for awhile toward the end of their existence; was this code-sharing perhaps an arrangement with USAir, and thus a precursor to the discussions that culminated in the 1989 merger?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recall PI had a hublet at Orlando (MCO) for awhile toward the end of their existence; was this code-sharing perhaps an arrangement with USAir, and thus a precursor to the discussions that culminated in the 1989 merger?
A good guess! However, the airline in question was not USAir and Orlando (MCO) is not the airport we are looking for. In fact, this major airfield was located further north on the U.S. east coast......
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:40 pm

8. In 1985, this airline ran a print ad entitled "See Buffalo On The Great Planes". However, this same air carrier was only operating one nonstop route from Buffalo by late 1985. Name the airline and identify the route.
Piedmont ran the ad, and I believe the route was BWI-BUF. Despite the slow start, it looks like there was a lot of BUF service by the next summer.

10. Also in 1986, Piedmont entered into an agreement with another airline to provide connecting service to and from 19 destinations via a major east coast airport. Name the air carrier that PI had the agreement with as well as the airport where the connecting service was offered.
Piedmont's partner was TWA and the connecting service was offered at JFK.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... the airline in question was not USAir and Orlando (MCO) is not the airport we are looking for. In fact, this major airfield was located further north on the U.S. east coast......
we've also determined that BWI isn't the answer we're seeking

PI's other hub was of course CLT; I really don't remember them with much of a presence at IAD, PHL, PIT, EWR, LGA, BDL, PVD, or BOS; while they were a good-size player at DCA, the terminal layout would have made this sort of marketing arrangement tricky to execute

so that leaves me with only one "major airfield ... further north on the U.S. east coast" -- JFK

since nobody ever said where the 19 destinations were located, I suspect many were across the Atlantic Ocean, and the cooperating carrier in question was TWA
Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st1575
8. Piedmont ran the ad, and I believe the route was BWI-BUF. Despite the slow start, it looks like there was a lot of BUF service by the next summer.

10. Piedmont's partner was TWA and the connecting service was offered at JFK.
8. Correct! The December 15, 1985 Piedmont route map depicted only one route being operated by the airline and that was nonstop service to their BWI hub. However, by 1986 PI was also flying BUF-JFK nonstop which brings us to.....

10. Correct as well! The Piedmont print ad read:

For A Long Distance Connection, We're Your Overseas Operator.

Piedmont has hooked up with Trans World Airlines. And through New York's JFK International, we can now connect you to 19 cities in Europe and the Middle East.

So call your travel agent, TWA or Piedmont Airlines. For a long distance relationship that works.

PIEDMONT/TWA

The print ad also included a route map depicting PI's routes into JFK including BDL-JFK, BUF-JFK, CLT-JFK, ROC-JFK, SYR-JFK GSO-BWI-JFK and RDU-ORF-JFK.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 3, 2016 at 4:15 pm
Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so that leaves me with only one "major airfield ... further north on the U.S. east coast" -- JFK

since nobody ever said where the 19 destinations were located, I suspect many were across the Atlantic Ocean, and the cooperating carrier in question was TWA
10. Yep....and st1575 beat you to the punch by eight minutes!
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

better late than never ... from June 2014
... found a small white plastic tote bag with a lower-three-quarter silhouette of a 727 and "The Sunbird" (both in white) on a big orange circle (presumably representing the sun), with orange "United Air Lines" lettering above ... one of these years I will figure out how to post photos
Attached Images  
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good Morning, all! It was a frosty -23F this morning when I fired up my trusty Tacoma and headed off into town for a variety of chores intrinsic to a trouble free winter existence here in Alaska's Interior. The next set of questions is coming along nicely - 11 of them so far - though I expect it'll be a good couple of weeks before I get the first of them posted.

In the meantime, you'll find me winging back and forth across the Pacific while comfortably ensconced in Business Class aboard a Hainan 787-9 and First Class aboard a Japan Airlines 777-300. Despite not offering a proper international First Class product, Hainan is rated as a Five Star airline by SkyTrax, the international air transport rating organisation. I am looking forward to experiencing how it is that Hainan has managed to earn such lofty accolades and of course I am equally excited about my First Class return travel aboard Japan Airlines. Associates will be met along the way and presumably good food and drink will be enjoyed both on the ground and in the air.

So - hang in there, and in he interim please feel free to submit a few questions of your own if you like!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 9, 2016 at 12:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.