Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
No, but I assume you're joking. For those not familiar with Trans-Texas Airways, which was renamed Texas International (TI) in 1969, it had a lot of uncomplimentary nicknames -- Tree Top Airlines, Tinker Toy Airlines, and Teeter Totter Airlines, just as some other airlines have had -- some of those have already been mentioned upthread.
Yep, ol' TTa was the target of many jokes back in the day. I flew on them extensively during the late 1960's on board both their DC9 and CV-600 equipment.

I am only aware of one fatal accident involving the airline and I believe that occurred in 1973 after TTa had changed its name to Texas International. A Convair 600 turboprop experienced a CFIT accident in Arkansas when it struck a hillside. All eleven souls on board perished.

The carrier also had at least three accidents involving its DC9 aircraft but in all three cases there were no fatalities. One accident involved a midair collision with a light GA aircraft near Harlingen (HRL); the DC9 landed safely. Two DC9s were heavily damaged in either takeoff or landing accidents, one at Denver (DEN) and the other at Baton Rouge (BTR). I believe both aircraft were written off.

Recognizing that it had a perception problem, TI reportedly ran a print ad campaign in 1969 following the name change from TTa. I seem to recall the copy read: "No More Tinker Toys. No More Tree Tops. We are now Texas International."

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 27, 2016 at 1:46 pm
Old Nov 27, 2016, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

3. It's a beautiful Saturday evening in Palm Springs in February of 1984. You are enjoying the relatively warm weather in the low desert country while having dinner with friends who live in the area. A message is then delivered: Can you be in Spokane for an 8:00 am meeting on Monday concerning a lucrative consulting contract? Well, of course you can! You ascertain there is direct flight departing from PSP at the civilized time of 11:35 am the next morning that arrives in GEG at 5:15 pm which perfectly fits your schedule. Name the air carrier you'll be flying with as well as the aircraft type and also identify all four stops in order. ANSWERED

4. Now it's the spring of 1984 and you are in New Orleans. You need to travel to Little Rock for a lunch meeting. You've found a daily nonstop flight which departs MSY at 10:00 am and arrives in LIT at 10:55 am. Identify the airline and the jet equipment. The airline was not Texas International, Delta or Southwest and the equipment was not a Douglas DC9, D9S or 73S; it was actually a Boeing 727.
I'll let these two sit out there a bit longer as we have had responses today....

And a Big Howdy to Seat 2A! Buddy, I know your recuperation effort has been long and quite arduous since your medical procedure but I believe I speak for all of us here on the good ol' OTAQ&D when we wish you the absolute best!

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 28, 2016 at 1:08 pm Reason: hints & answer update
Old Nov 27, 2016, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
3- let's try Air California/AirCal (whichever, the OAG code was OC) with a 737-200 operating via Los Angeles (LAX), San Jose (SJC), Reno (RNO), and Seattle (SEA)

4- perhaps this MSY-LIT hop was Delta, with a 727-200
Old Nov 27, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA
For those not familiar with Trans-Texas Airways, which was renamed Texas International (TI) in 1969, it had a lot of uncomplimentary nicknames -- Tree Top Airlines, Tinker Toy Airlines, and Teeter Totter Airlines
Dan-Air suffered the same in Britain, other airlines had nicknames which generally stayed within the industry and the enthusiasts, but good old DA were quite widely known as "Dan Dare", after a 1950s British comic book and radio character who commanded, for the good of all on earth, a spaceship, with new adventures every week. This tale of interplanetary travel was set - 40 years hence, in the 1990s. Sufficiently old now for its spacecraft "Anastasia" to feature in this account !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Dare
Old Nov 27, 2016, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
3- let's try Air California/AirCal (whichever, the OAG code was OC) with a 737-200 operating via Los Angeles (LAX), San Jose (SJC), Reno (RNO), and Seattle (SEA)

4- perhaps this MSY-LIT hop was Delta, with a 727-200
3. & 4. Ah, no and no, sir! OC and DL were respectively not involved.

Plus, on #3, equipment was not a B737-200. But this flight did stop at LAX.

And on #4, the aircraft was a Boeing 727.

See post #10202 above for updates!

So please guess again!

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 27, 2016 at 5:24 pm
Old Nov 28, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally posted by jlemon
4. Now it's the spring of 1984 and you are in New Orleans. You need to travel to Little Rock for a lunch meeting. You've found a daily nonstop flight which departs MSY at 10:00 am and arrives in LIT at 10:55 am. Identify the airline and the jet equipment.
The airline was not Texas International or Delta and the equipment was not a Douglas DC9 or D9S; it was actually a Boeing 727.
Choices are getting limited! Let's try Southwest (WN).
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
3- one more shot here: PSA, MD-80; missing stops Las Vegas (LAS) and San Francisco (SFO)
overall routing PSP-LAX-LAS-RNO-SFO-GEG
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Choices are getting limited! Let's try Southwest (WN).
4. Nope, it was not Southwest.....
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3- one more shot here: PSA, MD-80; missing stops Las Vegas (LAS) and San Francisco (SFO)
overall routing PSP-LAX-LAS-RNO-SFO-GEG
3. Ah, it was not Pacific Southwest, the equipment was not an MD-80 and the flight did not stop at either LAS or SFO......
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:39 am

3. It's a beautiful Saturday evening in Palm Springs in February of 1984. You are enjoying the relatively warm weather in the low desert country while having dinner with friends who live in the area. A message is then delivered: Can you be in Spokane for an 8:00 am meeting on Monday concerning a lucrative consulting contract? Well, of course you can! You ascertain there is direct flight departing from PSP at the civilized time of 11:35 am the next morning that arrives in GEG at 5:15 pm which perfectly fits your schedule. Name the air carrier you'll be flying with as well as the aircraft type and also identify all four stops in order. The airline was not Sunworld, Air California/Air Cal or PSA and the equipment was not a DC9, D9S, B737-200 or MD-80. Routing was PSP - LAX - ___ - RNO - ___ - GEG and this, flight did not stop in either LAS or SFO
Hmmm. Well Western were still around then, they had some form at Palm Springs. Between LAX and Reno a possible stop for them would be Sacramento, then somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. Let's go for Portland. On a 727-200.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Hmmm. Well Western were still around then, they had some form at Palm Springs. Between LAX and Reno a possible stop for them would be Sacramento, then somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. Let's go for Portland. On a 727-200.
3. Yet another excellent guess! However, the air carrier was not Western, the aircraft was not a B727-200 and the flight did not stop in either SMF or PDX.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jlemon
3. Yet another excellent guess! However, the air carrier was not Western, the aircraft was not a B727-200 and the flight did not stop in either SMF or PDX.

Please guess again, sir!
Eta: After guessing Reno Air, I checked Google, and realized that they didn't exist in 1984.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3- well, having exhausted pretty much all other aircraft types, I can only surmise that we are looking for the short-lived airline with the "WHBM special" ... Pacific Express, operating a BAC 1-11; the missing stops perhaps being San Jose (SJC) and Boise (BOI)

I don't recall that they actually served PSP or BOI, but there you are
Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3- well, having exhausted pretty much all other aircraft types, I can only surmise that we are looking for the short-lived airline with the "WHBM special" ... Pacific Express, operating a BAC 1-11; the missing stops perhaps being San Jose (SJC) and Boise (BOI)

I don't recall that they actually served PSP or BOI, but there you are
3. Yep, it was Pacific Express which I believe was the only airline ever to operate the BAC One-Eleven in California in scheduled passenger service (although the One-Eleven was also used for gambling charter flights into Lake Tahoe (TVL) as we have previously discussed). And the flight in question did not stop in San Jose (SJC); it stopped in Fresno (FAT).

At this time, PacEx was operating five BAC One-Eleven departures on the weekdays from Boise with nonstops to SFO, PDX and GEG as well as direct, no change of plane service to other destinations with reduced service on the weekends.

Out of Palm Springs, four One-Eleven weekday departures were being operated with nonstops to SFO and SJC plus direct service to other destinations with reduced weekend service. And the airline was also operating weekend nonstops to LAX and LAS from PSP at this time. One of these weekend flights concerns our quiz item. Here's the sched.....

VB 888: Palm Springs (PSP) 11:35a - 12:15p Los Angeles (LAX) 12:30p - 1:25p Fresno (FAT) 1:45p - 2:30p Reno (RNO) 2:50p - 5:00p Boise (BOI) 5:15p - 5:15p Spokane (GEG)
Op: Saturdays and Sundays only
Equip: BAC One-Eleven

I always enjoyed my flights on Pacific Express and the One-Eleven.

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 28, 2016 at 1:09 pm
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:03 pm

Pacific Express's One-Elevens were the old pioneer British United (and later British Caledonian) fleet, which they sold off in 1982, and which had come overhead me in Edinburgh several times a day from London Gatwick all through university years, onto the old short runway there. Did I always look up ? What do you think ! Pacific Express didn't last too long, they later moved on through a range of other operators we have discussed here; Air Wisconsin, Cascade, Florida Express and one of the later Braniffs all saw them.

One still exists, she's been in the weeds at Johannesburg's secondary Lanseria airport for years, corroding gently in the sunshine. See here.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untit...onX9Ahl2Lj4%3D

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.