Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2016, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

3. It's a beautiful Saturday evening in Palm Springs in February of 1984. You are enjoying the relatively warm weather in the low desert country while having dinner with friends who live in the area. A message is then delivered: Can you be in Spokane for an 8:00 am meeting on Monday concerning a lucrative consulting contract? Well, of course you can! You ascertain there is direct flight departing from PSP at the civilized time of 11:35 am the next morning that arrives in GEG at 5:15 pm which perfectly fits your schedule. Name the air carrier you'll be flying with as well as the aircraft type and also identify all four stops in order. One of the stops was Reno (RNO).

4. Now it's the spring of 1984 and you are in New Orleans. You need to travel to Little Rock for a lunch meeting. You've found a daily nonstop flight which departs MSY at 10:00 am and arrives in LIT at 10:55 am. Identify the airline and the jet equipment.
Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!

The two quiz items above remain unanswered. And should there be no takers, I'll provide the answers this weekend. Plus, here are several more to round out my short set....

6. In 1975, Hughes Airwest was operating daily onestop jet service from Twin Falls to San Francisco with one flight a day. Name the intermediate stop. ANSWERED

7. In 1984, Northeastern International Airways was serving five different airports in Florida. Name all five destinations by their respective airport codes. And as a bonus question, what was the largest aircraft in the Northeastern International fleet at this time? ANSWERED

8. In 1985, this airline ran a print ad entitled "See Buffalo On The Great Planes". However, this same air carrier was only operating one nonstop route from Buffalo by late 1985. Name the airline and identify the route. ANSWERED

9. In 1986, this air carrier was operating one direct flight a week from Detroit to Honolulu with a wide body aircraft. One intermediate stop was made en route. Flight 915 departed DTW at 10:00 am and arrived HNL at 3:30 pm. Identify the airline, the equipment and the stop. ANSWERED

10. Also in 1986, Piedmont entered into an agreement with another airline to provide connecting service to and from 19 destinations via a major east coast airport. Name the air carrier that PI had the agreement with as well as the airport where the connecting service was offered. ANSWERED

Hope everyone is having a safe and restful Thanksgiving! And there are some very good folks working today including our old sailing buddy Capt. Ed who will be flying in command of an American B777-300ER later today across the big pond over to Heathrow. So for those of you who are also flying today, Safe Travels!

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 3, 2016 at 4:18 pm Reason: answer updates
Old Nov 25, 2016, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Well you might do again soon. BA's large Boeing 787 fleet FINALLY should start coming on line by the end of next year, and with their recent acquisition of BMI there are, for once, quite a number of slots at London Heathrow for BA to play with, and all sorts of rumours about what they will come up with. New Orleans is one of the more regular suggestions - I believe it's the largest metropolitan area in the USA that BA doesn't already serve. The principal downside is that there is not much of a current OneWorld/American frequent flyer/business travel base there to start from, nor any OneWorld connections to anywhere that BA doesn't serve directly already. Miniliq, would you like the job of a BA sales agent at MSY for a couple of years to hammer round all the relevant business contacts there and drum up a whole lot of Transatlantic business ??? !!! What a shame BA don't have Concorde any longer, not to run the service but it was always sent to any significant new destination on opening day to get the attention of all the local media.

The old National flights to Europe were in around 1978; they didn't last for too long as the loads weren't there. Why all those European cities but not London ? Well, the old Bermuda Agreement between the UK and USA would have meant that the service would have to be to London Gatwick; National already had a daily service to London Heathrow from Miami, and didn't want a split operation across London.

The BA flights came along a bit later, around 1982. BA really wanted to serve Mexico City, but their (new at the time) Tristar 500s didn't have the ability for the long haul from the high elevation there, so New Orleans was a convenient new city, refuelling stop, and not quite such a high elevation . Neither Mexico nor Louisiana worked out financially, and the final annoyance was that, again because of the Bermuda Agreement, the service had to be from Gatwick, but the Tristar fleet was based at Heathrow, leading to the double wastefulness of not only having to position the aircraft to and fro empty, but worse, to have to waste Heathrow runway slots to do so. BA never really knew what to do with those Tristar 500s, and quite quickly did a deal to sell them off to the Royal Air Force. No sooner was this done than they took over the old British Caledonian route to Brazil for which the aircraft would have been ideal, their standard Tristars didn't have the range and the 747 was too big. They ended up therefore having to lease a couple back in from Sri Lankan Airlines.
And now....an OTAQ&D Blast From The Past!

The above post from WHBM was submitted on August 17, 2012 in response to a comment from miniliq who wrote "Correct!-- alas, we don't have any nonstops to Europe these days." Our man in New Orleans had also commented on the very short-lived nonstop service operated by National Airlines with the DC-10-30 from MSY to Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Paris.

This situation will change on March 27, 2017, of course, when BA initiates nonstop B787-8 service LHR-MSY four days a week. So our good friend in London was quite prescient with his remarks back then.

And if British Airways will now just reconsider the equipment on the route and change to a B787-9, I'll then hopefully be able to use either my AAdvantage miles or Avios for a seat in First on this flight from MSY!

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 25, 2016 at 2:57 pm
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!
7. In 1984, Northeastern International Airways was serving five different airports in Florida. Name all five destinations by their respective airport codes. And as a bonus question, what was the largest aircraft in the Northeastern International fleet at this time?
let's try these:
  1. FLL (Ft Lauderdale)
  2. MIA (Miami)
  3. MCO(Orlando)
  4. PBI (West Palm Beach)
  5. PIE (St Petersburg)
I know Northeastern operated the DC-8 Series 50; thinking they may have had a -61 as well

10. Also in 1986, Piedmont entered into an agreement with another airline to provide connecting service to and from 19 destinations via a major east coast airport. Name the air carrier that PI had the agreement with as well as the airport where the connecting service was offered.
I was initially thinking about Empire Airlines, but their hub was at Syracuse which doesn't really qualify as "a major east coast airport" ... moreover, I looked in my log and found that the first of my two 1985 flights aboard Fokker F-28 N109UR was while it was in Empire livery and the second was PI

prior to being swallowed up by USAir, PI had hubs at both Baltimore and Charlotte; their regional affiliate at BWI was Henson Aviation, but I suspect we are looking for a more recognizable name
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:35 am

6. In 1975, Hughes Airwest was operating daily onestop jet service from Twin Falls to San Francisco with one flight a day. Name the intermediate stop.
I think this is Stockton (SCK).
Old Nov 25, 2016, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
7. Let's try these:
  1. FLL (Ft Lauderdale)
  2. MIA (Miami)
  3. MCO(Orlando)
  4. PBI (West Palm Beach)
  5. PIE (St Petersburg)
I know Northeastern operated the DC-8 Series 50; thinking they may have had a -61 as well

10. I was initially thinking about Empire Airlines, but their hub was at Syracuse which doesn't really qualify as "a major east coast airport" ... moreover, I looked in my log and found that the first of my two 1985 flights aboard Fokker F-28 N109UR was while it was in Empire livery and the second was PI
prior to being swallowed up by USAir, PI had hubs at both Baltimore and Charlotte; their regional affiliate at BWI was Henson Aviation, but I suspect we are looking for a more recognizable name
7. Correct on all with regards to the airports served by Northeastern International in Florida in 1984. And BTW, I'm not aware of any scheduled international service operated by this air carrier during its existence although its name would seem to imply otherwise.

As for the equipment operated by Northeastern International, I do not believe they operated the stretched Super DC-8-61.....but they did operate the shorter fuselage, long range DC-8-62. However, we are looking for another, larger aircraft type here so please guess again!

10. Excellent guesses! However, we are looking for another air carrier and another east coast airport .
Old Nov 25, 2016, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st1575
I think this is Stockton (SCK).
6. Correct! This service was part of a milk run operated by Hughes Airwest with the flight actually reversing direction in Idaho. Here's the complete sched....

RW 720: Seattle (SEA) 7:30a - 8:20a Spokane (GEG) 8:40a - 9:10a Lewiston (LWS) 9:25a - 11:04a Boise (BOI) 11:20a - 12:02p Idaho Falls (IDA) 12:12p - 12:30p Pocatello (POC) 12:45p - 1:10p Twin Falls (TWF) 1:30p - 1:45p Stockton (SCK) 2:00p - 2:29p San Francisco (SFO)
Op: Daily
Equip: DC-9-30

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 26, 2016 at 8:35 am
Old Nov 26, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3. It's a beautiful Saturday evening in Palm Springs in February of 1984. You are enjoying the relatively warm weather in the low desert country while having dinner with friends who live in the area. A message is then delivered: Can you be in Spokane for an 8:00 am meeting on Monday concerning a lucrative consulting contract? Well, of course you can! You ascertain there is direct flight departing from PSP at the civilized time of 11:35 am the next morning that arrives in GEG at 5:15 pm which perfectly fits your schedule. Name the air carrier you'll be flying with as well as the aircraft type and also identify all four stops in order.

4. Now it's the spring of 1984 and you are in New Orleans. You need to travel to Little Rock for a lunch meeting. You've found a daily nonstop flight which departs MSY at 10:00 am and arrives in LIT at 10:55 am. Identify the airline and the jet equipment.
Last call for the above pair of quiz items! Should there be no takers, I'll provide the answers tomorrow.....

And now it's time for a piece of pumpkin pie and a glass of excellent Peachy Canyon Zinfandel from Paso Robles (a red Zin, of course) on a crisp, moderately cool and very beautiful Saturday afternoon here in south Louisiana.....
Old Nov 26, 2016, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
originally posted by jlemon

I'm guessing it was Treetop Airlines (TI). probably a DC9. They had a lot of service in this region for many years -- I used to fly from HOU to jl's home territory LAF back in the early 70's.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
... 3. It's a beautiful Saturday evening in Palm Springs in February of 1984. You are enjoying the relatively warm weather in the low desert country while having dinner with friends who live in the area. A message is then delivered: Can you be in Spokane for an 8:00 am meeting on Monday concerning a lucrative consulting contract? Well, of course you can! You ascertain there is direct flight departing from PSP at the civilized time of 11:35 am the next morning that arrives in GEG at 5:15 pm which perfectly fits your schedule. Name the air carrier you'll be flying with as well as the aircraft type and also identify all four stops in order.
3- ok, wild guess time -- Sunworld, DC-9-10; Ontario (ONT), Las Vegas (LAS), Reno (RNO), Portland (PDX)

7- as for Northeastern International, I think they ran a couple of A300s before closing up shop
Old Nov 26, 2016, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
h
Trivia Question:
what was the significance of this image on the front cover of a Boeing telephone directory?
Has this question (post 10054, page 671) been fully answered? If so, I can't find it.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not completely ... we have established that 1988 was the year of the -400 (both 737 and 747), but I'm after the other associated bit of trivia (or, more appropriately, Old Timers' detail)
Old Nov 26, 2016, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by miniliq
I'm guessing it was Treetop Airlines (TI).
Did Texas International have a history of crashing into trees?
Old Nov 27, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
I'm guessing it was Treetop Airlines (TI). probably a DC9. They had a lot of service in this region for many years -- I used to fly from HOU to jl's home territory LAF back in the early 70's.
4. A great guess! However, the air carrier was not Texas International which was formerly known as TTa, Trans-Texas Airways a.k.a Tree Top Airways.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3- ok, wild guess time -- Sunworld, DC-9-10; Ontario (ONT), Las Vegas (LAS), Reno (RNO), Portland (PDX)

7- as for Northeastern International, I think they ran a couple of Airbus A300s before closing up shop
3. Alas, the airline in question was not Sunworld nor was the equipment a DC9 (or a D9S for that matter).

However, you did get one of the stops right: PSP - ___ - ___- RNO - ___ - GEG.

7. Correct on the bonus question! And besides the aforementioned DC-8-50 and DC-8-62 equipment, Northeastern Intl. also operated B727-100 and B727-200 aircraft.

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 27, 2016 at 3:51 pm
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally posted by readywhenyouare
Did Texas International have a history of crashing into trees?
No, but I assume you're joking. For those not familiar with Trans-Texas Airways, which was renamed Texas International (TI) in 1969, it had a lot of uncomplimentary nicknames -- Tree Top Airlines, Tinker Toy Airlines, and Teeter Totter Airlines, just as some other airlines have had -- some of those have already been mentioned upthread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.