Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
That trans-oceanic Connie has had me thinking. My HUNCH is that it is likely a South American carrier operating over to Madrid. There was also the Pacific Northern flight from Seattle to Kodiak, which was still a Constellation into 1967. That was more than 5 hours, almost entirely out across the North Pacific Ocean, away from land.
I've logged alot of flighte between Seattle and Alaska and I don't think we ever get more than about 20 miles from land. Check it out on a map. The route, even to Kodiak, is never far from the coast.

In terms of intercontinental trans-oceanic flights, here's what I've found so far from my November 1966 OAG:

Havana to Madrid: IBERIA Constellation via the Azores
Havana to Prague: CSA Czechoslovakian Brittania via Gander and Shannon
Perth to Johannesburg: QANTAS Electra via Christmas Island and Mauritius
Perth to Johannesburg: South African DC-7 via Christmas Island and Mauritius
New York to Luxembourg: Icelandic Loftledir via Iceland

Originally Posted by jlemon
And a related quiz item: name the respective airlines that operated the last scheduled passenger services between the West Coast and Hawaii with the Boeing 707, the Boeing 720B and the Douglas DC-8.
So far as I know, Western was the only 720 operator to Hawaii, though Northwest might have run one or two back in the early 1970s. I'm gonna go with Western on the 720B.

As for the DC-8 - man, it's a toss up between United's -71s and Hawaiian Air's -62s. I'm gonna go with United.

And now the 707... I'm thinking TWA. Maybe American on those daylight runs to Australia... Even Western ran 707s now and then... Pan Am and Braniff were done with 707s to Hawaii by the late seventies. Nah - let's go with TWA.

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 10, 2012 at 11:51 pm
Old May 11, 2012, 12:25 am

Programs: BA
Another that's occurred to me from 1966 is, of course, Aeroflot's Tupolev 114s. Given my background, I should have written these up before.

They could make Soviet Union to Cuba nonstop, a bit difficult from Moscow but they typically routed first up to the far north, in Murmansk, and then diagonally across the North Atlantic tracks down to Cuba, which was about 16 hours nonstop. They didn't get a lot of use for the numbers built, and occasionally turned up at London Heathrow on flights to/from Moscow as well.

Here's the timetable as late as 1968 for Tu114s from Moscow to Havana

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...68/su68-05.jpg

Likewise at this period Aeroflot were still using Ilyushin 18s on long-haul multi-stop operations from Moscow right down through Africa or to South-East Asia.

The Tu114 had four huge turboprops, each with twin counter-rotating propellers. The Antonov 22 freighter has the same, there are still one or two operating, and occasionally one has come overhead London at medium height on a special freight charter. They make an extraordinary and distinctive noise, and at night the sound of them can be heard rolling around for 10 minutes or more after they pass overhead.

Should have covered the Cubana Bristol Britannia fleet as well, these did transocean passenger flights well into the 1980s.

Last edited by WHBM; May 11, 2012 at 12:45 am
Old May 11, 2012, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I've logged alot of flighte between Seattle and Alaska and I don't think we ever get more than about 20 miles from land. Check it out on a map. The route, even to Kodiak, is never far from the coast.

In terms of intercontinental trans-oceanic flights, here's what I've found so far from my November 1966 OAG:

Havana to Madrid: IBERIA Constellation via the Azores
Havana to Prague: CSA Czechoslovakian Brittania via Gander and Shannon
Perth to Johannesburg: QANTAS Electra via Christmas Island and Mauritius
Perth to Johannesburg: South African DC-7 via Christmas Island and Mauritius
New York to Luxembourg: Icelandic Loftledir via Iceland

So far as I know, Western was the only 720 operator to Hawaii, though Northwest might have run one or two back in the early 1970s. I'm gonna go with Western on the 720B.

As for the DC-8 - man, it's a toss up between United's -71s and Hawaiian Air's -62s. I'm gonna go with United.

And now the 707... I'm thinking TWA. Maybe American on those daylight runs to Australia... Even Western ran 707s now and then... Pan Am and Braniff were done with 707s to Hawaii by the late seventies. Nah - let's go with TWA.
Confession time....I posed those questions but I am unsure of the answers!

That being said, I think Western is correct with regard to their B720B "Islander" service.....

And I also think it may be a toss up between UA and HA concerning DC-8 ops, although I seem to recall that HA was still flying the DC-8 when UA had transitioned to DC-10-10s, DC-10-30s and B747-100s for their Hawaii services (this was before B757-200 and B767-300 ETOPS flights were introduced by UA).

As for 707 services, it may well have been TWA, although as you point out WA operated the B3F to Hawaii. I also remember TW operating an elderly B747-100 STL-HNL as well......
Old May 11, 2012, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
Should have covered the Cubana Bristol Britannia fleet as well, these did transocean passenger flights well into the 1980s.
Somehow, I totally forgot to list the Cubana and Aeroflot services out of Havana! I looked up Havana first, afterall, and it was a hotbed of propellor driven activity. Cubana operated its Britannias from Havana nonstop to Madrid and Prague whilst Aeroflot ran nonstop to Moscow with a Tu-114.
Old May 11, 2012, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Good Afternoon Everyone!

The weekend is upon us and the cocktail hour has definitely begun as well. I'm currently sipping on a very special Cajun Bloody Mary!

Let's return to the Old Timer's Airline and Airliner Quiz......

1) What airline operated Boeing 737 jet service into Sun Valley, Idaho (SUN)?

2) What airline called their female flight attendants "Pamper Belles"?

3) What European airline called their new DC-8-62 aircraft the "Super-Fan"?

4) What airline operated DHC-7 "Dash 7" STOL turboprop aircraft into Lake Tahoe (TVL)?

5) What airline operated Lockheed L-049 "Constellation" aircraft into Lake Tahoe (TVL)?

6) True or false: Swissair operated BAC One-Eleven aircraft at one point.

7) What new start up airline served Trenton, NJ (TTN) with jet service and what aircraft type was used?

8) BOAC operated the Boeing 377 "Stratocruiser" at one point, which was a double decker, four engine prop-driven aircraft. Name five (5) U.S. airlines that also operated the Boeing 377.

9) Name an airline that operated into Vandenberg Air Force Base (VBG) in California. In addition, name the type of aircraft used. There was also a restriction concerning passengers enplaning and deplaning at VBG. What was this restriction?

10) This airline, which operated Fairchild F-27 and DeHavilland of Canada DHC-6 "Twin Otter" turboprops, was merged into Wien Air Alaska. Name the airline. Also, what was special about this airline's F-27 equipment?

11) This new start up airline, which operated B737-200 aircraft, had the motto "Opportunities are flying". Name this domestic airline.

12) This new start up airline was named for a species of flightless bird. Name this domestic airline and the type of jet equipment they operated. Also name the one international route they flew.

13) Back in 1963, what type of aircraft did Swissair operate between Buenos Aires (EZE) and Santiago, Chile (SCL)?

14) What airline operated jet service into Santa Maria, CA (SMX) in the past and what airline currently operates jet service into SMX? Also name the jet aircraft types used to service SMX by these two respective air carriers.

15) Quebecair operated three (3) different jet aircraft types including the BAC One-Eleven. Name the other two types of jet equipment operated by QB and also name a turboprop aircraft type flown by this air carrier.

16) What airline operated jet service into Yuma, Arizona (YUM)? Also name the jet aircraft type used.

17) What U.S. airline operated a domestic route into Phoenix (PHX) using the Boeing 747-400? Also name the U.S. city served with the 744 from PHX by this airline.

And finally.....

18) Back in 1944, this very famous aviator took a ride as a passenger on the military version of the Lockheed "Constellation" (designated by the USAAF as the C-69). Name this person. And for extra bonus points (plus a complimentary cold beer should you ever journey to LFT), name the two (2) pilots that flew the Lockheed C-69 that day.

Cheers Everyone!

Last edited by jlemon; May 11, 2012 at 5:28 pm Reason: Addition of airport code
Old May 11, 2012, 6:22 pm

Programs: All of them!
What a nice way to start the weekend..............!

7) Start up carrier using Trenton Airport---Eastwind-- using 737s.

12) "flightless bird" airline---KIWI--- from 1992 to 1999
They used 727-200s and the one International station was Aruba. Kiwi was started by an ex Eastern Airlines Captain , and service started with flights from Newark to Florida.
Old May 11, 2012, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cs57
What a nice way to start the weekend..............!

7) Start up carrier using Trenton Airport---Eastwind-- using 737s.

12) "flightless bird" airline---KIWI--- from 1992 to 1999
They used 727-200s and the one International station was Aruba. Kiwi was started by an ex Eastern Airlines Captain , and service started with flights from Newark to Florida.
Correct on both, cs57!

And it appears that Kiwi International Airlines actually had two international destinations as they also served St. Maarten (SXM) at one point.......
Old May 11, 2012, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hey jlemon, what'd'ja add to dat Cajun Bloody Mary to make it "very special"?! Basil Hayden and Molson chasers here at latitude 65. Cheers and thanks for the new questions! ^ I'm only onna have a stab at three of 'em, save a few fo the rest of the gang

Texas International or axshully Trans Texas Airways called its DC-9s "Pamper Jets", so ah mo'n have to go wit them.

8) BOAC operated the Boeing 377 "Stratocruiser" at one point, which was a double decker, four engine prop-driven aircraft. Name five (5) U.S. airlines that also operated the Boeing 377.

Lessee now... Pan American, United, Northwest, American Overseas Airline and Trans-Continental. I think it was Trans-Continental; White fuselage with yellow and black livery, that same outfit that was later taken over by USOA

13) Back in 1963, what type of aircraft did Swissair operate between Buenos Aires (EZE) and Santiago, Chile (SCL)?

The Convair 990 Coronado. Swissair took its 990s where even Coronado had never gone before![/QUOTE]
Old May 11, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
I'll start with the one with a prize:

Good Afternoon Everyone!
18) Back in 1944, this very famous aviator took a ride as a passenger on the military version of the Lockheed "Constellation" (designated by the USAAF as the C-69). Name this person. And for extra bonus points (plus a complimentary cold beer should you ever journey to LFT), name the two (2) pilots that flew the Lockheed C-69 that day.
I must say I tried googling several aviators that I thought fit the time frame, and the one I ws looking for was not an obvious choice because of his age. Eventually though, I found this (Wikipedia):

"On April 19, 1944, the second production Lockheed Constellation, piloted by Howard Hughes and TWA president Jack Frye, flew from Burbank, California, to Washington, D.C. in 6 hours and 57 minutes (2300 mi – 330.9 mph). On the return trip, the aircraft stopped at Wright Field to give Orville Wright his last airplane flight, more than 40 years after his historic first flight. He may even have briefly handled the controls. He commented that the wingspan of the Constellation was longer than the distance of his first flight."
Old May 11, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
I'll try two more and call it a night:

4) What airline operated DHC-7 "Dash 7" STOL turboprop aircraft into Lake Tahoe (TVL)?
5) What airline operated Lockheed L-049 "Constellation" aircraft into Lake Tahoe (TVL)?
4) Golden West Airlines, nonstop from LAX, FAT, and SFO; direct service from a few other California cities.

5) Paradise Airlines (not to be confused with Air Paradise, or Paradise Island Airlines). Don't know much about this carrier, but on 3/1/64 Flight 901A, a Lockheed L-049 arriving from San Jose, crashed in inclement weather, killing all aboard (81 pax and 4 crew).
Old May 12, 2012, 1:39 am

Programs: BA
6) True or false: Swissair operated BAC One-Eleven aircraft at one point.!
Now then ..... it depends what you mean by "operated". It was actually operated for them in a partial paint scheme by British Eagle.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/155409/
Old May 12, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: All of them!
3) European Airline that called their DC8-62 aircraft "Super Fan"----
It was SAS, and they used the -62 from 1967 to 1988.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Hey jlemon, what'd'ja add to dat Cajun Bloody Mary to make it "very special"?! Basil Hayden and Molson chasers here at latitude 65. Cheers and thanks for the new questions! ^ I'm only onna have a stab at three of 'em, save a few fo the rest of the gang

Texas International or axshully Trans Texas Airways called its DC-9s "Pamper Jets", so ah mo'n have to go wit them.

Lessee now... Pan American, United, Northwest, American Overseas Airline and Trans-Continental. I think it was Trans-Continental; White fuselage with yellow and black livery, that same outfit that was later taken over by USOA

The Convair 990 Coronado. Swissair took its 990s where even Coronado had never gone before!
Correcto-mundo on just about all, Seat 2A!

With regard to the Boeing 377, I have Transocean instead of Trans-Continental.......and one fine day in ANC, I actually saw a Boeing 377 (although it may have actually been a C-97) take off in a cloud of smoke from the engines. The aircraft was apparently engaged in the transportation of freshly caught fish such as the salmon species (and doesn't AS have a 737 nicknamed "salmon-thirty-salmon"?)........

Swissair actually operated the Convair 990A which was an improved version of the 990 model......

As for the aforementioned very special Bloody Mary, I used an interesting mix by the name of "Gator Blood" which is locally produced right here in south Looziana and is billed as a "Full Cajun Bloody Mary Mix". I also added some spices such as Trader Joe's "21 Season Salute" as well as Andy Roo's "Cajun Blackened Seasoning" (which is made in the New Orleans area) and also a good dollop of Zatarain's New Orleans-style prepared horseradish. And the piece de resistance? I added a large smoked jalapeno pepper from Smokin' Dave's Four-H Farms in Cold Spring, Texas. Laissez les bon temps rouler!
Old May 12, 2012, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
I'll start with the one with a prize:

I must say I tried googling several aviators that I thought fit the time frame, and the one I ws looking for was not an obvious choice because of his age. Eventually though, I found this (Wikipedia):

"On April 19, 1944, the second production Lockheed Constellation, piloted by Howard Hughes and TWA president Jack Frye, flew from Burbank, California, to Washington, D.C. in 6 hours and 57 minutes (2300 mi – 330.9 mph). On the return trip, the aircraft stopped at Wright Field to give Orville Wright his last airplane flight, more than 40 years after his historic first flight. He may even have briefly handled the controls. He commented that the wingspan of the Constellation was longer than the distance of his first flight."
That's two beers I owe you!
Old May 12, 2012, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
I'll try two more and call it a night:

4) Golden West Airlines, nonstop from LAX, FAT, and SFO; direct service from a few other California cities.

5) Paradise Airlines (not to be confused with Air Paradise, or Paradise Island Airlines). Don't know much about this carrier, but on 3/1/64 Flight 901A, a Lockheed L-049 arriving from San Jose, crashed in inclement weather, killing all aboard (81 pax and 4 crew).
Correct on both counts as well.....and that was a terrible accident in the Sierra Nevada mountains above Lake Tahoe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.