Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
withdrawn. Answer wasn't even in existence

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Nov 13, 2016 at 12:46 pm
Old Nov 13, 2016, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
JL and Lady K's sojourn on the cold and rainy * (alas) side of the Atlantic here led to quite a few impromptu questions appropriate to this thread needing to be thought up between us in various pleasantly warmer premises, over an interesting glass ... or two .

15. Which Dash 7 landing place is now covered in high rise buildings ?

* : It's got worse since then, JL. It's now snowing in various parts of the country !
Many thanks to WHBM for joining up with us on the Tower Bridge over the Thames on a decidedly cold and blustery day in London! From there, we made our way to the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) for a scenic journey over to Greenwich for refreshments at the Gipsy Moth pub before touring the Cutty Sark, which I believe was one of the last if not the last British sailing vessel engaged in the tea trade between England and China before steam powered vessels took over completely. We then joined WHBM's lovely family in the stunning Canary Wharf area for lunch followed by a visit to a New Orleans-themed restaurant and bar in the fantastic new Crossrail station which features a miniature forest among other fine things.

And yes, the snow chased us south with a dusting of fresh powder visible on the high ridge of Mont Ventoux a few days after we arrived in Avignon in Provence after flying into MRS and then taking the TGV north. We had a fine time in Avignon and the surrounding area as well including the wine producing region encompassing Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Vacqueyras and Gigondas.

BTW, the service we received on board BA operated aircraft in First on the transatlantic sectors (B747-400 DFW to LHR and A380 LHR to IAD) was excellent overall. Both aircraft were very clean and in superb shape with regard to the front cabin. The LHR-MRS A320 round trip in Club Europe was fine as well if a bit short on leg room. The service in the Concorde Room at LHR to include breakfast was great, too, although some of the furniture could use refurbishment. It was bit surprising to see stained, chipped, torn and worn items here and there in the CCR. Now, if BA could also just figure out how to properly prepare a steak in First....

So what about this Dash 7 quiz item? Well, it's not LCY....but it's not too far away, either. In fact, a Very Good Friend recently took me to a spot that has a plaque commemorating the first instance of this event.....

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 13, 2016 at 2:29 pm
Old Nov 13, 2016, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
3. In 1962 this airline became the first independent British airline to operate pure jet airliner. Identify both the airline and the airliner.

Is that altogether correct?

I'm hoping you'll be the judge, Mr. M! The question is formatted pretty much exactly as it was presented as statement in the article I read. Honestly, I wouldn't use terms like "pure jet" if I were formulating the question based upon my own meager knowledge of such things.

I look forward to your response!
Old Nov 13, 2016, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by teddybear99
10. If you were flying aboard a 767 named “City of London”, which airline would you be flying upon?

ZOOM Airlines if you flew between 2007 and 2008.

12. What will be the first French airline to operate the Airbus A350?

As both are owned by the same group, Groupe Dubreuil and the scheduled delivery of each airline's first A350-900 is in June 2017, I will say Air Caraibas and French Blue.

Correct on both questions, though for #12 I show Air Caraibes being the first recipient. The A350 will look quite fetching in that beautiful Air Caraibes livery.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA
3. In 1962 this airline became the first independent British airline to operate pure jet airliner. Identify both the airline and the airliner.
It's a complicated story but I believe this refers to an aircraft that it's original purchaser never got to operate.

UK independent airline British Eagle set up a subsidiary in Bermuda in 1958 and got licences to run to the USA in competition with Pan Am, Eastern and BOAC. Bermuda had never had its own airline before so were happy to do so. One and later two Viscounts were sent over to run to New York, Washington and elsewhere. British Eagle then got into bed financially in 1960 with the grand Cunard shipping company and rebranded as Cunard Eagle. Cunard had huge contacts with travel agencies in the US which all helped the Bermuda flights, and they also began their Bristol Britannia fleet and started scheduled flights from London to Bermuda. Eagle then applied, for the umpteenth time, for licences for London to New York, which to the surprise of most were granted, so they went off and ordered two 707s with Rolls-Royce engines.

BOAC meanwhile appealed this licence, and won the appeal, so when the 707s were coming a few months later there was no work for them. Simultaneously a decidedly sneaky move by BOAC picked off Cunard to write off their Eagle investment and make a joint venture with them instead, which led to the "BOAC Cunard" brand on 707s and VC10s for many years afterwards. But Eagle's first 707 was never delivered to the UK airline, but was diverted to the Bermuda company instead, where it was locally registered VR-BBW and ran to New York at weekends and was chartered to British Eagle for the midweek run to London. The second aircraft was delivered direct to BOAC a few months later, followed shortly after by the first Bermuda one being sold to them as well; their purchase had been guaranteed by Cunard's money and this was all part of the BOAC agreement. So no independent British airline, alas, ever got to operate these aircraft.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

First Rate! ^^ Thanks for the clarification, WHBM!
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

1. These two airlines – one British and one American – shared the same name as well as liveries that employed two very similar colors.
Continental, Laker, Eastern and Virgin have been identified. Looking for at least one (or more) still out there...

7. If you were flying aboard a 757 named “John Lennon”, which airline would you be flying upon?

The following question is per WHBM

15. Which Dash 7 landing place is now covered in high rise buildings?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
1. These two airlines – one British and one American – shared the same name as well as liveries that employed two very similar colors.
Continental, Laker, Eastern and Virgin have been identified. Looking for at least one (or more) still out there...
1. Let's go with Northeast Airlines here. I believe the U.K. version operated the Trident trijet among other aircraft types while the U.S. air carrier called their aircraft "Yellowbirds".

Plus, a couple of more with very similar names but dissimilar liveries.....

Imperial Airways (U.K.) and Imperial Airlines (U.S.) - I believe the former was a predecessor of BOAC while the latter was a commuter air carrier based in California which operated a fairly large number of flights into LAX at one point with several turboprop types including the Short 360.

World Airlines (U.K.) and World Airways (U.S.) - I think the former briefly operated a BAe 146-200 from London City (LCY) while the latter had a very colorful history which included scheduled DC-10 passenger operations.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

Let's go with Northeast Airlines here. I believe the U.K. version operated the Trident trijet among other aircraft types while the U.S. air carrier called their aircraft "Yellowbirds".

Bingo! Northeast is the airline I've been looking for.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/images...heast-1971.jpg

https://image.planeimages.net/SxalC4...wvkqbRvZ_large

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 15, 2016 at 2:51 pm
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As we await the final answers for the remaining few quiz items above, I thought I would submit a short list of new ones on a sunny afternoon here in south Louisiana.....

1. In the spring of 1975, only one airline was operating nonstop service from Dayton (DAY) to Washington Dulles (IAD) with one daily flight. Name the air carrier and identify the equipment. ANSWERED

2. It's late summer in 1980 and you are in Pasadena, California where you've been attending a NASA seminar at the Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL). A surprise birthday party has been planned for your sister who resides in Portland, Oregon and you are looking forward to attending it. You've found a daily direct flight departing at 9:55 am from the nearest airport to Pasadena that will get you into PDX at 3:59 pm. This flight makes four intermediate stops en route. Identify the airport you will be departing from, the airline, the aircraft type and all four stops in the order in which they will be made. ANSWERED

3. It's a beautiful Saturday evening in Palm Springs in February of 1984. You are enjoying the relatively warm weather in the low desert country while having dinner with friends who live in the area. A message is then delivered: Can you be in Spokane for an 8:00 am meeting on Monday concerning a lucrative consulting contract? Well, of course you can! You ascertain there is direct flight departing from PSP at the civilized time of 11:35 am the next morning that arrives in GEG at 5:15 pm which perfectly fits your schedule. Name the air carrier you'll be flying with as well as the aircraft type and also identify all four stops in order. ANSWERED

4. Now it's the spring of 1984 and you are in New Orleans. You need to travel to Little Rock for a lunch meeting. You've found a daily nonstop flight which departs MSY at 10:00 am and arrives in LIT at 10:55 am. Identify the airline and the jet equipment. ANSWERED

5. You are in the Washington D.C. area in the spring of 1987 where you have just completed a project as an independent contractor. Just before 8:00 am, the phone rings in your hotel room in Crystal City, Virginia which is located just a stones throw from Washington Reagan National Airport (in fact, you can see the top of the control tower at DCA from your hotel window on the 14th floor). You pick up the phone and hear a very familiar voice: "Hey buddy! I need you out here! I've just picked up a catamaran in superb condition and I need help sailing her back to Santa Barbara just up the coast! We'll have the girls meet us and stop at Avalon Harbor on the way!" Ah, you think, here we go again....and where is "here", you ask. "Newport Beach yacht harbor! Come on out as soon as you can!" Your reply? "I'm in!" You very quickly ascertain there is direct flight departing Reagan National at 11:00 am that will get you into Orange County John Wayne Airport at 7:00 pm after making three intermediate stops en route. And the yacht harbor is located a very short distance from the airport. You book a seat, pack your bags and head over to DCA. BTW, you'll have plenty to eat on this flight on your way out to SNA as no less than three full meals will served by this airline which has a reputation for quality on board service. Name the air carrier you'll be flying with as well as the aircraft type and all three stops in order. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 2, 2016 at 2:25 pm Reason: answer updates
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
As we await the final answers for the remaining few quiz items above, I thought I would submit a short list of new ones on a sunny afternoon here in south Louisiana.....

1. In the spring of 1975, only one airline was operating nonstop service from Dayton (DAY) to Washington Dulles (IAD) with one daily flight. Name the air carrier and identify the equipment.
United Airlines on a DC8, problem was it was a late evening flight.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

United Airlines on a DC8, problem was it was a late evening flight.
Ah, but what kind of DC8?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
7. If you were flying aboard a 757 named “John Lennon”, which airline would you be flying upon?
How about Thomson Airways or their subsidiary TUI Fly. This plane is now an Allegiant Airliner.

Last edited by teddybear99; Nov 16, 2016 at 2:06 pm
Old Nov 16, 2016, 2:05 pm

Ah, but what kind of DC8?
Sorry I didn't know you needed to be more specific: DC8-60.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry I didn't know you needed to be more specific: DC8-60.
Well, we try to be here on the good ol' OTAQ&D!

And you are virtually correct as the aircraft was a Super DC8-61 operated by United (I do not believe Douglas produced a series "60" in addition to the series 61, 62 and 63).

Here's the sched......

UA 128: Dayton (DAY) 10:40p - 11:55p Washington Dulles (IAD)
Op: Daily
Equip: D8S

I also strongly suspect the complete routing for this flight was SFO-ORD-DAY-IAD....but, unfortunately, I do not have access to the entire schedule for UA 128.

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 16, 2016 at 3:40 pm Reason: additional info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.