Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Oct 20, 16, 6:52 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, minuscule UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
2. In the spring of 1996, this air carrier was operating direct service from Colorado Springs (COS) to Los Angeles (LAX) six days a week on a daily except Saturday schedule. Flight 33 departed COS at 1:10pm and arrived LAX at 6:05pm with three stops being made en route. Equipment was a twin jet. Identify the airline, the aircraft type and all three stops in the order in which they were made.

I was about to see if I could come up with anything via America West but then the morphine kicked in and I remembered another obscure airline that served COS in the mid-90s. That airline was Air21, operating F28 jets to about a dozen west/southwestern cities. So, let's go with an Air21 F28 routing COS-GJT-LAS-FAT-LAX.
Air21 operating a Fokker F28 Fellowship is correct! Here's the sched....

A7 33: Colorado Springs (COS) 1:10p - 2:05p Grand Junction (GJT) 2:40p - 3:05p Las Vegas (LAS) 3:35p - 4:35p Fresno (FAT) 5:10p - 6:05p Los Angeles (LAX)
Op: Daily COS-FAT, daily except Sat. FAT-LAX
Equip: F28

I believe Air21 operated F28 series 4000 aircraft, some (if not all) of which were formerly flown by USAir.
Old Oct 20, 16, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
1- LGW-BWI-LAX: it seems we are down to two possible aircraft types, namely the L-1011 and the stretch DC-8; while I can think of several D8S operators (Arrow Air, Trans International, and the already-ruled-out World) among smaller US airlines at this time, it's tough to place any of them on this route ... as far as a TriStar, perhaps ATA fits the bill
Old Oct 20, 16, 8:17 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, minuscule UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
1- LGW-BWI-LAX: it seems we are down to two possible aircraft types, namely the L-1011 and the stretch DC-8; while I can think of several D8S operators (Arrow Air, Trans International, and the already-ruled-out World) among smaller US airlines at this time, it's tough to place any of them on this route ... as far as a TriStar, perhaps ATA fits the bill
1. You are getting closer.....and, indeed, the aircraft was the Lockheed L-1011 TriStar.

However, the airline in question was not American Trans Air (ATA).

But I can tell you that at least one of the aircraft operated by this air carrier was formerly flown by Eastern.
Old Oct 20, 16, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by jrl767
Talk about obscure! The L1011 was the key for me. Let's try Rich International, an airline which also served the ANC-HNL market briefly. Credit jrl767 with an assist if I'm correct.
Old Oct 21, 16, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
Talk about obscure! The L1011 was the key for me. Let's try Rich International, an airline which also served the ANC-HNL market briefly. Credit jrl767 with an assist if I'm correct.
1. Ah, that is the operative word here: obscure

However, the air carrier in question was not Rich International.

So here's a hint: the name of this airline was previously used by another aviation company that had a very colorful history in a certain part of the world that was not in the U.S.
Old Oct 21, 16, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
1. Ah, that is the operative word here: obscure

However, the air carrier in question was not Rich International.

So here's a hint: the name of this airline was previously used by another aviation company that had a very colorful history in a certain part of the world that was not in the U.S.
wasn't there a short-lived airline that resurrected the famous (well, maybe "notorious" would be a more apt descriptor) name of the CIA's cover operations in Southeast Asia and China? Air America
Old Oct 21, 16, 12:00 pm

wasn't there a short-lived airline that resurrected the famous (well, maybe "notorious" would be a more apt descriptor) name of the CIA's cover operations in Southeast Asia and China? Air America
1. Correct! Air America 021 operated westbound on Mondays and Thursdays. The flight departed London Gatwick at 12:30 pm, arrived in Baltimore at 2:45 pm and then departed BWI at 4:30 pm, arriving at LAX at 6:30 pm. Equipment was a Lockheed L-1011 TriStar. It appears Air America may have operated several TriStars that were formerly flown by Eastern.

Air America was based in Los Angeles. I do not believe it had any connection to the former Air America which operated in Asia....but I'm not sure about this.
Old Oct 21, 16, 12:05 pm

3. It's the fall of 2000 and you are in Portland, Oregon. You've just completed a project as a consultant and have now accepted an invitation from friends to join them for a late season backpacking trip in Yosemite National Park. You have also ascertained there is a direct flight departing PDX daily at 5:00pm that will get you to the closest airport to Yosemite NP with jet service by 7:40pm. One intermediate stop will be made en route by flight 333. What air carrier will you be flying on and what airport will you be arriving into at 7:40pm? Also identify the en route stop and the twin engine jet aircraft type.
And just one more to go here.....
Old Oct 26, 16, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
3. It's the fall of 2000 and you are in Portland, Oregon. You've just completed a project as a consultant and have now accepted an invitation from friends to join them for a late season backpacking trip in Yosemite National Park. You have also ascertained there is a direct flight departing PDX daily at 5:00pm that will get you to the closest airport to Yosemite NP with jet service by 7:40pm. One intermediate stop will be made en route by flight 333. What air carrier will you be flying on and what airport will you be arriving into at 7:40pm? Also identify the en route stop and the twin engine jet aircraft type.

I've been wracking my brain to come up with an obscure airline serving Merced, the airport I know to be closest to Yosemite. Nothing. So I'm gonna go with United, operating a 737-200 via SFO.
Old Oct 26, 16, 1:51 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
I thought MMH (Mammoth Lakes, CA) was closest to YNP.

As for the carrier, QX/AS? En route stop, I haven't a clue. Possibly RNO, SMF or SJC.

Or, as a long shot, wasn't QQ in its final days?
Old Oct 26, 16, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

closest airport with jet service would seem to be Fresno (FAT) ... I'd tend to agree with RoyalFlush on QX, operating an F-28 via Sacramento (SMF)
Old Oct 26, 16, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Originally Posted by RoyalFlush View Post
I thought MMH (Mammoth Lakes, CA) was closest to YNP.

As for the carrier, QX/AS? En route stop, I haven't a clue. Possibly RNO, SMF or SJC.

Or, as a long shot, wasn't QQ in its final days?
I just don't recall QQ flying into any small airports, ever. Not MMH or TVL. FAT would have been the closest airport, marginally closer than RNO.
Old Oct 26, 16, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Merced to Yosemite: 69 miles
Modesto to Yosemite: 84 miles
Stockton to Yosemite: 95 miles
Fresno to Yosemite: 65 miles
Mammoth to Yosemite: 42 miles

These distances can vary depending upon which side of the park you wish to access. MMH access is the non-developed east entrance via Lee Vining.

I'm not sure MMH was receiving jet service in 2000, but I know Fresno was.
Old Oct 27, 16, 6:21 pm

Good Evening Everyone!

I'm now home following a whirlwind business trip this past week that took me to Dallas and Houston and included several flights on AA Eagle CRJ-700 and ERJ-145 equipment. I also got to inspect the inside of a new Gulfstream 650 business jet at an elegant corporate hangar at DAL. Now I'm not quite sure what a new G650 cost these days but I believe that following installation of a custom interior the total price tag for this jet came to over $60 million U.S.......

Meantime, Seat 2A, jrl767 and YVR Cockroach are all correct with regard to Fresno (FAT) being the closest airport to Yosemite National Park with jet service in November of 2000.

The seasonal service operated by SkyWest as United Express with CRJ-700 equipment into Mammoth Lakes (MMH) is a relatively new development which was first introduced several years ago during ski season. Horizon Air operating as Alaska Airlines also serves MMH (and on a year round basis as well) but has never operated a jet into this destination. The Q400 is the only aircraft type QX has ever operated into Mammoth Lakes.

Speaking of Horizon Air, they are not the airline we are looking for nor is the Fokker F28 Fellowship the correct twin jet aircraft type. Reno Air is not the correct air carrier, either.

So please guess again! And here's a hint: the equipment was a DC9.

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 27, 16 at 6:29 pm Reason: additional info
Old Oct 27, 16, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wink

still in the holding pattern waiting for any takers for the followup question ...
Trivia Question:
what was the significance of this image (see Post 10054) on the front cover of a Boeing telephone directory?
Originally Posted by VH-RMD View Post
1988 saw the first 747-400 and 737-400 roll out.
indeed -- now can you (or anyone) elaborate with a bit more detail?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: