Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Sep 29, 16, 6:28 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, minuscule UA miles, former CO Plat
Hmmmmm.....well if that's an L-188 Electra in the photo, I do not think the type entered revenue service with AA until late in 1958 or perhaps early in 1959.
Old Sep 30, 16, 12:40 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, minuscule UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post

2. It's high summer in 1970 and you are in Park City in the Wasatch Range of Utah. The phone rings in your lady friend's mountain chalet and your presence is requested for a business dinner the next evening at Commander's Palace in New Orleans. You quickly discover there is a direct flight departing SLC at the civilized time of 11:15 am that will get you into MSY at 6:22 pm - plenty of time for your 8:00 pm dinner reservation. This flight makes four stops en route. Name the air carrier, the equipment and all four intermediate stops in order.

3. Now it's early winter of 1972 and you are in White Bear Lake, Minnesota. You have business in Providence, Rhode Island and have ascertained that one airline has daily direct service to PVD with this flight making three stops. What is the closest airport to White Bear Lake that you will be departing from, what airline and aircraft type will you be flying on, and what is the location of each of the three stops in the order in which they will be made?
Still looking for answers for the above quiz items.....and in both cases, the equipment was a twin engine jet.
Old Sep 30, 16, 12:43 pm

5. It's the fall of 1979 and you are on a road trip on your way to Yellowstone National Park. A hint of frost is in the air and the high peaks of the local Owl Creek Mountains are already dusted with snow. You've stopped for the night in Thermopolis, Wyoming which is home of what is billed as the world's largest mineral hot springs. You are looking forward to a good soak in a hot tub after dinner. And then you are handed a message upon arrival at a quaint old western inn. Can you be present for an urgent business meeting in Aurora, Colorado before lunch tomorrow? A quick bit of research reveals the location of the nearest airport with jet service. You'll depart at 6:55 am and arrive in Denver at 8:24 am. One intermediate stop will be made en route. Identify the airport you will be departing from, the airline you'll be flying on, the jet aircraft type and the intermediate stop.
And this quiz item remains unanswered as well. Here's a hint: the equipment was manufactured by Boeing. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 2, 16 at 9:11 am Reason: answer update
Old Oct 2, 16, 3:11 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
And a bonus quiz item......

5. It's the fall of 1979 and you are on a road trip on your way to Yellowstone National Park. A hint of frost is in the air and the high peaks of the local Owl Creek Mountains are already dusted with snow. You've stopped for the night in Thermopolis, Wyoming which is home of what is billed as the world's largest mineral hot springs. You are looking forward to a good soak in a hot tub after dinner. And then you are handed a message upon arrival at a quaint old western inn. Can you be present for an urgent business meeting in Aurora, Colorado before lunch tomorrow? A quick bit of research reveals the location of the nearest airport with jet service. You'll depart at 6:55 am and arrive in Denver at 8:24 am. One intermediate stop will be made en route. Identify the airport you will be departing from, the airline you'll be flying on, the jet aircraft type and the intermediate stop.
Frontier Airlines departing from Casper, Wyoming and stopping in Riverton, WY before arriving in Denver on a B737-200. I believe the flight number was 82.
Old Oct 2, 16, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by teddybear99 View Post
Frontier Airlines departing from Casper, Wyoming and stopping in Riverton, WY before arriving in Denver on a B737-200. I believe the flight number was 82.
5. Frontier is correct! However, according to the OAG, this flight originated in Riverton which was the location of the closest airport to Thermopolis, WY with jet service at the time. Here's the sched.....

FL 82: Riverton (RIW) 6:55a - 7:18a Casper (CPR) 7:35a - 8:24a Denver (DEN)
Op: Daily
Equip: B737-200

Riverton was one of the smallest destinations, population-wise, to receive Frontier 73S service. RIW also serves nearby Lander, WY. BTW, FL 82 had competition out of Casper on the weekdays in the form of Western B727-200 service: WA 701 departed CPR at 7:15 am and arrived DEN 8:03 am. This flight operated daily except Saturdays and Sundays.

And here's a follow up quiz item.....

6. Following your arrival on Frontier 82 into Denver, your morning meeting in Aurora has gone extremely well. But then your client throws you a curve ball: "We cannot execute the contract in this office. So you're going to have to travel to our corporate headquarters in Pocatello, Idaho as soon as you can. The old man is ready to sign but he wants you there before 5:00 pm today. Think you can make it?" As an independent contractor, your budget will not allow you to charter an aircraft. So you're going to have to fly commercial. Fortunately, your knowledge of the airline business is about to come in very handy as you believe there is a flight that will get you to Pocatello in the afternoon if you immediately travel back to Stapleton Airport. So you make a quick call to the airline in question. And yes! There's a direct flight departing Denver at 12:35 pm that will get you into Pocatello at 2:44 pm. One intermediate stop will be made and lunch will be served en route. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and the intermediate stop. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 3, 16 at 10:27 am Reason: answer update
Old Oct 2, 16, 7:43 pm

And now, something definitely off topic...

Folks, for the first time in a very long time, the Saints actually won today.

Only by a point, to be sure, and only after one heck of a fourth quarter in San Diego.

And after all we've been through recently here in Louisiana (and continue to experience at the present time), we needed that win.

Geaux Saints!!!
Old Oct 3, 16, 8:43 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
5. Frontier is correct! However, according to the OAG, this flight originated in Riverton which was the location of the closest airport to Thermopolis, WY with jet service at the time. Here's the sched.....

FL 82: Riverton (RIW) 6:55a - 7:18a Casper (CPR) 7:35a - 8:24a Denver (DEN)
Equip: B737-200

Riverton was one of the smallest destinations, population-wise, to receive Frontier 73S service. RIW also serves nearby Lander, WY. BTW, FL 82 had competition out of Casper on the weekdays in the form of Western B727-200 service: WA 701 departed CPR at 7:15 am and arrived DEN 8:03 am. This flight operated daily except Saturdays and Sundays.

And here's a follow up quiz item.....

6. Following your arrival on Frontier 82 into Denver, your morning meeting in Aurora has gone extremely well. But then your client throws you a curve ball: "We cannot execute the contract in this office. So you're going to have to travel to our corporate headquarters in Pocatello, Idaho as soon as you can. The old man is ready to sign but he wants you there before 5:00 pm today. Think you can make it?" As an independent contractor, your budget will not allow you to charter an aircraft. So you're going to have to fly commercial. Fortunately, your knowledge of the airline business is about to come in very handy as you believe there is a flight that will get you to Pocatello in the afternoon if you immediately travel back to Stapleton Airport. So you make a quick call to the airline in question. And yes! There's a direct flight departing Denver at 12:35 pm that will get you into Pocatello at 2:44 pm. One intermediate stop will be made and lunch will be served en route. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and the intermediate stop.
6. That would likely be Hughes Air West with a stop in Idaho Falls -- don't know the equipment but probably DC9.

Now, going back to the previous question that included Riverton reminded me of a trip I took in the late 60s where I had to go to a jobsite in Big Piney, WY -- flew to Rock Springs and drove the rest of the way. A couple of days later as I was leaving, I decided to go up to Calgary to visit relatives, and I recall flying from Riverton to Billings on a Convair flight that made 2 enroute stops, and if my memory is correct , it seemed like we hardly climbed or descended between two of them -- both airports were on buttes -- I haven't been back so I don't know if this is my imagination or not -- can anyone confirm that, and identify the stops and the airline?

Finally, yes, the Saints finally got into the win column. I'm afraid it will be a long season for us.
Old Oct 3, 16, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by miniliq View Post
6. That would likely be Hughes Air West with a stop in Idaho Falls -- don't know the equipment but probably DC9.

Now, going back to the previous question that included Riverton reminded me of a trip I took in the late 60s where I had to go to a jobsite in Big Piney, WY -- flew to Rock Springs and drove the rest of the way. A couple of days later as I was leaving, I decided to go up to Calgary to visit relatives, and I recall flying from Riverton to Billings on a Convair flight that made 2 enroute stops, and if my memory is correct , it seemed like we hardly climbed or descended between two of them -- both airports were on buttes -- I haven't been back so I don't know if this is my imagination or not -- can anyone confirm that, and identify the stops and the airline?

Finally, yes, the Saints finally got into the win column. I'm afraid it will be a long season for us.
6. Hughes Airwest is correct! And this flight continued on to Seattle. Here's the sched....

RW 874: Denver (DEN) 12:35p - 2:03p Idaho Falls (IDA) 2:35p - 2:44p Pocatello (PIH) 3:00p - 3:38p Boise (BOI) 4:10p - 4:25p Seattle (SEA)
Equip: DC-9-30
Meal service: Lunch DEN-IDA

As for your Convair flight back in the late 60's from Riverton to Billings, I would guess it was a CV-580 operated by Frontier with stops in Worland, WY and Cody, WY. I also recall flying into the airport in Billings which is indeed located on top of a mesa above the town. I was on board a Delta operated B737-300 (formerly operated by Western) on a flight from Salt Lake City some years ago.
Old Oct 5, 16, 6:58 am

Programs: BA
Riverton was one of the smallest destinations, population-wise, to receive Frontier 73S service. RIW also serves nearby Lander, WY
Riverton had been a very early small hub for Frontier, possibly back to the pre-1950 days when they were Monarch Airlines, and was a twice daily focus for DC3s from multiple directions. It was a mail arrangement rather than passenger, it may be a small town but there is presumably some mail consolidation facility for Wyoming there, and probably what justified Frontier changing over to 737s. There's a description of it in DC3 days in the book "The Golden Years of Flying", which we have discussed previously.

It's also not far from Crazy Woman WY, which has a VOR navigation beacon in the middle of nowhere, regularly passed over by the BA 747 from London to LAX, which on multiple occasions has been mentioned in a chat from the flight deck as we overfly it.
Old Oct 7, 16, 8:37 am

2. It's high summer in 1970 and you are in Park City in the Wasatch Range of Utah. The phone rings in your lady friend's mountain chalet and your presence is requested for a business dinner the next evening at Commander's Palace in New Orleans. You quickly discover there is a direct flight departing SLC at the civilized time of 11:15 am that will get you into MSY at 6:22 pm - plenty of time for your 8:00 pm dinner reservation. This flight makes four stops en route. Name the air carrier, the equipment and all four intermediate stops in order. ANSWERED

3. Now it's early winter of 1972 and you are in White Bear Lake, Minnesota. You have business in Providence, Rhode Island and have ascertained that one airline has daily direct service to PVD with this flight making three stops. What is the closest airport to White Bear Lake that you will be departing from, what airline and aircraft type will you be flying on, and what is the location of each of the three stops in the order in which they will be made? ANSWERED
Last call for the above two quiz items! As previously mentioned, the equipment was a twin engine jet in both cases. And here's another hint: it was not the same twin engine jet type. Should there be no takers, I'll provide the answers this weekend.

I also spoke with Seat 2A last evening via phone. He had previously mentioned that he was planning to take a break from the OTAQ&D due to an upcoming medical operation. That operation is now underway this morning as I write this and is scheduled to last for around eight hours. A lengthy and apparently arduous recovery phase will follow. So please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 9, 16 at 4:59 pm Reason: answer updates
Old Oct 7, 16, 1:12 pm

3. Now it's early winter of 1972 and you are in White Bear Lake, Minnesota. You have business in Providence, Rhode Island and have ascertained that one airline has daily direct service to PVD with this flight making three stops. What is the closest airport to White Bear Lake that you will be departing from, what airline and aircraft type will you be flying on, and what is the location of each of the three stops in the order in which they will be made?
I think this is a Mohawk Airlines BAC 1-11 departing MSP, making stops in BUF, ROC, and BDL on its way to PVD.
Old Oct 7, 16, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by st1575 View Post
I think this is a Mohawk Airlines BAC 1-11 departing MSP, making stops in BUF, ROC, and BDL on its way to PVD.
Well, I think you are correct! Here are the scheds (and yes, there are two different flights, both of which used the same flight number. Together they added up to daily direct Mohawk jet service from Minneapolis/St. Paul to Providence)......

MO 560: Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) 7:30a - 10:13a Buffalo (BUF) 10:30a - 10:55a Rochester (ROC) 11:07a - 11:55a Hartford (BDL) 12:07p - 12:29p Providence (PVD)
Op: Daily except Sundays
Equip: BAC One-Eleven
Meal service: Breakfast MSP-BUF

MO 560: Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) 9:30a - 12:13p Buffalo (BUF) 12:30p - 12:55p Rochester (ROC) 1:07p - 1:55p Hartford (BDL) 2:07p - 2:29p Providence (PVD)
Op: Sundays only
Equip: BAC One-Eleven
Meal service: Breakfast MSP-BUF

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 7, 16 at 1:31 pm Reason: added meal service
Old Oct 7, 16, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA
2. It's high summer in 1970 and you are in Park City in the Wasatch Range of Utah. The phone rings in your lady friend's mountain chalet and your presence is requested for a business dinner the next evening at Commander's Palace in New Orleans. You quickly discover there is a direct flight departing SLC at the civilized time of 11:15 am that will get you into MSY at 6:22 pm - plenty of time for your 8:00 pm dinner reservation. This flight makes four stops en route. Name the air carrier, the equipment and all four intermediate stops in order.
Well, there's a choice here. Texas International, out on a limb at Salt Lake from Denver, and then routing through Houston and a couple more points on a DC9 ? But then there is always Braniff, going through Oklahoma City and Tulsa. No, that would be a One-Eleven, and we've already had that, and they aren't the same types. Back to Texas International then. Two more stops ? Amarillo and Dallas.
Old Oct 8, 16, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
Well, there's a choice here. Texas International, out on a limb at Salt Lake from Denver, and then routing through Houston and a couple more points on a DC9 ? But then there is always Braniff, going through Oklahoma City and Tulsa. No, that would be a One-Eleven, and we've already had that, and they aren't the same types. Back to Texas International then. Two more stops ? Amarillo and Dallas.
2. Texas International operating a DC9 is correct! And Denver was the first stop while then new Houston Intercontinental was the fourth stop before the flight continued nonstop from IAH to New Orleans (and this was the only nonstop flight operated by TI from Houston to MSY at the time).

However, the flight did not stop in Amarillo or Dallas. So please guess again! And BTW, I do not believe Braniff International ever served DEN with the BAC One-Eleven. In fact, I do not recall any airline serving Denver with the One-Eleven.....but I could be wrong.
Old Oct 9, 16, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
2. Texas International operating a DC9 is correct! And Denver was the first stop while then new Houston Intercontinental was the fourth stop before the flight continued nonstop from IAH to New Orleans (and this was the only nonstop flight operated by TI from Houston to MSY at the time).

However, the flight did not stop in Amarillo or Dallas. So please guess again! And BTW, I do not believe Braniff International ever served DEN with the BAC One-Eleven. In fact, I do not recall any airline serving Denver with the One-Eleven.....but I could be wrong.
How about Lubbock and Austin? I made several trips from Houston to DEN and SLC in those days, and although I never came back through Lubbock, I think it was an alternate route for TI.

I could have cheated for this answer, but my OAG for that time is buried near the bottom of a pile of OAGs that I'm listing on eBay to clear some storage space (unabashed advertisement to tempt those of you with holes in your collection).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: