Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
7. You live on da south side a Chicago and want to fly out to a bowling tournament in New Jersey. You abhor the long drive through traffic to get out to O’Hare, and especially dislike the cost of parking there – which is exorbitant even by 1974 standards. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a two-stop flight from nearby Midway Airport direct to Newark. Identify the airline, the two intermediate stops and the aircraft operating this route.

I think Delta was the only major airline flying to MDW in 1974, with 4x day DC-9s to STL. As for the stop after STL, I'll go with ATL.

Per the schedule I reference, there were at least three other airlines besides Delta serving Midway - one of which would definitely be considered major. However, we are looking for a different airline than Delta. Please - guess again!

Another recent route dedicated to a specific company is Nagoya-Detroit. Toyota is headquartered in Nagoya. Despite the decline of its local auto makers, the Detroit area (and its universities) is still the worldwide center for automotive research, so Toyota located their main North American research laboratory in the Detroit area. Many of Toyota's top suppliers also have facilities in the Detroit area.

Northwest began Detroit-Nagoya flights to link Toyota's two main research hubs and also serve passengers going between Toyota's assembly plants in Ontario or the US Midwest and Nagoya via Detroit. This flight was very profitable for Northwest, and has been continued by Delta.

Pro Air and Midwest Express also come to mind.....

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 5, 2016 at 10:10 am Reason: Edited to darken print on the last sentence (my response)
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Here're the remaining questions...

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTION IS 1974

11. Armed with a good book and a sense of adventure, you board this 11 stop flight between New York EWR and SEA. It departs EWR at 7:15am, arriving Seattle sixteen hours later at 8:26pm PDT. I think we all know the airline. Can you identify all eleven stops?
I'll guess the missing three stops were Madison, WI (MSN), Rochester, MN (RST) and Jamestown, ND (JMS).

If so, the routing would then have been EWR-ORD-MSN-RST-MSP-JMS-BIS-BIL-HLN-MSO-GEG-PDX-SEA.

And as for the equipment, I tempted to say it was an Electra. But let's go with a B727-100 instead.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Separately ...

Farewell Joe Sutter, generally seen as creator of the Boeing 747 and the one who introduced widebody air travel at the start of the 1970s.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituarie...-jet-engineer/

I hope Boeing do something notable to mark his life.
Indeed....and one would think a fly by with a B747-8 at his final place of rest would be in order and very much appreciated by the family.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
according to the story in yesterday's Seattle Times, as recently as a month or so ago he was still going in to the office a couple days a week

if they haven't already done something similar, Boeing ought to name a gallery at the Museum of Flight in his honor
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
11. Armed with a good book and a sense of adventure, you board this 11 stop flight between New York EWR and SEA. It departs EWR at 7:15am, arriving Seattle sixteen hours later at 8:26pm PDT. I think we all know the airline. Can you identify all eleven stops?

Per jrl767: Here are 11; I think nine of 'em (*) are keepers ... For the record, it was a Northwest 727-251.
  1. Detroit (DTW) Incorrect!
  2. Chicago O'Hare (ORD)* Correct!
  3. Minneapolis (MSP)* Correct!
  4. Jamestown (JMS)* Correct!
  5. Bismarck (BIS) Correct!
  6. Billings (BIL)* Correct!
  7. Bozeman (BZN)* Incorrect!
  8. Butte (BTM)* Incorrect!
  9. Helena (HLN)* Correct!
  10. Missoula (MSO)* Correct!
  11. Spokane (GEG)* Correct!
  12. Portland (PDX)* Correct!

Per jlemon: I'll guess the missing three stops were Madison, WI (MSN), Rochester, MN (RST) and Jamestown, ND (JMS).

We've got one more correct city! That would be Jamestown - which I've inserted in its correct order in jrl767's list above. Additionally, I neglected to mention that Mr. 767 is correct with his choice of aircraft - it was the 727-251.

So then, we're down to just two more stops. Please - carry on!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 3, 2016 at 11:33 am
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
  2. Chicago O'Hare (ORD)* Correct!
  3. Minneapolis (MSP)* Correct!
  4. Jamestown (JMS)* Correct!
  5. Bismarck (BIS) Correct!
  6. Billings (BIL)* Correct!
  7. Bozeman (BZN)* Incorrect!
  8. Butte (BTM)* Incorrect!
  9. Helena (HLN)* Correct!
  10. Missoula (MSO)* Correct!
  11. Spokane (GEG)* Correct!
  12. Portland (PDX)* Correct!

... we're down to just two more stops. Please - carry on!
I'm pretty sure NW never operated EWR-ORD nonstop, and I flew on a 707-351C from Cleveland (CLE) to ORD in 1971, so let's say that CLE was the first stop

the map suggests that Great Falls (GTF) might have been a logical stop between BIL and HLN
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by jrl767
I'm pretty sure NW never operated EWR-ORD nonstop, and I flew on a 707-351C from Cleveland (CLE) to ORD in 1971, so let's say that CLE was the first stop
Drat. I was just about to suggest CLE instead of DTW. Oh well. Right or wrong, you get the credit.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per jrl767: Here are 11; I think nine of 'em (*) are keepers ... For the record, it was a Northwest 727-251.
  2. Cleveland (CLE)* Correct!
  3. Chicago O'Hare (ORD)* Correct!
  4. Minneapolis (MSP)* Correct!
  5. Jamestown (JMS)* Correct!
  6. Bismarck (BIS)* Correct!
  7. Billings (BIL)* Correct!
  8. Bozeman (BZN) Incorrect!
  9. Butte (BTM) Incorrect!
  10. Helena (HLN)* Correct!
  11. Missoula (MSO)* Correct!
  12. Spokane (GEG)* Correct!
  13. Portland (PDX)* Correct!

So then, we're down to just two more stops. Please - carry on!

Per jrl767: I'm pretty sure NW never operated EWR-ORD nonstop, and I flew on a 707-351C from Cleveland (CLE) to ORD in 1971, so let's say that CLE was the first stop.

Cleveland was a stop but not the first stop. We now need just one more stop. We are soooo close!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 3, 2016 at 11:54 am
Old Sep 3, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Cleveland was a stop but not the first stop. We now need just one more stop. We are soooo close!
Then I'd like to try PIT. I once flew PIT-CLE on NW, but that route was DCA-PIT-CLE-somewhere.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kochleffel
Then I'd like to try PIT. I once flew PIT-CLE on NW, but that route was DCA-PIT-CLE-somewhere.
A good guess, Koch, but alas, we're looking for a different city as in 1974 the EWR-PIT market was Allegheny and TWA country. Please, guess again!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 5, 2019 at 4:35 pm
Old Sep 3, 2016, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NW, 1974, EWR-XXX-CLE and onward ... I think I'd have been aware of EWR-DCA, so that pretty much only leaves PHL
Old Sep 3, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
NW, 1974, EWR-XXX-CLE and onward ... I think I'd have been aware of EWR-DCA, so that pretty much only leaves PHL
That it does, J. Here's the final routing...

Northwest 109 EWR-PHL-CLE-ORD-MSP-JMS-BIS-BIL-HLN-MSO-GEG-PDX-SEA
Old Sep 4, 2016, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTION IS 1974

7. You live on da south side a Chicago and want to fly out to a bowling tournament in New Jersey. You abhor the long drive through traffic to get out to O’Hare, and especially dislike the cost of parking there – which is exorbitant even by 1974 standards. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a two-stop flight from nearby Midway Airport direct to Newark. Identify the airline, the two intermediate stops and the aircraft operating this route.
Well, we know it's not Delta. And you say another major air carrier was serving Midway at this time besides DL. I do recall that Northwest served MDW for many years. So here's a wild guess.....

7. Northwest operating a B727-100 with routing of Chicago (MDW) - Cleveland (CLE) - Philadelphia (PHL) - Newark (EWR).

And now back to home repairs.......
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

Well, we know it's not Delta. And you say another major air carrier was serving Midway at this time besides DL. I do recall that Northwest served MDW for many years. So here's a wild guess.....

7. Northwest operating a B727-100 with routing of Chicago (MDW) - Cleveland (CLE) - Philadelphia (PHL) - Newark (EWR).

True, I did say that another major carrier flew out of Midway, but only in response to JoeDTW's post. However, I never said that the aforementioned major carrier was the answer to this question.

While Northwest was that other major carrier serving Midway, it is not the airline we are looking for in answer to this question. Please - guess again!

Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Since we're dealing with the 1970s, here's a differently styled bonus question. Let's see how this works out...

Back in the summer of 1976, I took a wonderful 11000 mile trip flying the following routing:

EWR-ORF-ILM-ATL-MEM-LIT-FSM-TUL-OKC-DFW-OKC-DEN-CYS-CPR-SHR-BIL-HLN-BTM-MSO-GEG-SEA-PDX-SEA-HNL-LIH-HNL-MKK-LNY-OGG-MUE///ITO-KOA-OGG-HNL-LAX-SFO-ABQ-DEN-PUB-ALS-DRO

Ten different airlines and nine different aircraft types/models were flown upon. Here's the challenge - using your knowledge of airline routings and aircraft flown during the 1970s, can you identify which airlines and aircraft types I flew over this entire trip?

Here are some hints:
  • Some of these flights are milk runs
  • Two of the flights involve airline interchanges
  • "///" means I traveled surface between MUE and ITO
  • For the purposes of this question, I consider a 727-100 a different aircraft than a 727-200. I do not consider a 747-100 a different aircraft than a 747-200.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.