Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
The remaining questions...

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1969

[84. In 1969, four airlines operated nonstop flights between Miami and Port Au Prince. Identify each airline and the equipment it operated on this route.
HINT: Air France Caravelle and Pan Am 707 identified so far...
Two remaining candidates are Caribair (CB) and Dominicana (DO), but I'm not sure of the aircraft -- possibly DC-9's.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
We have taken a very big hit here with significant damage to our home
I am sure we all wish JL and Lady K the very best in this distressing situation. The severe damage of your family home is one of the worst aspects that can happen in life. Are de-humidifiers readily available there ?

I also lost several OAGs to the flood
Oh No ! I have submitted this to BBC News as a Key Example of the devastation that the USA has suffered here. Has a National Emergency been declared ? Not just One historic OAG but Several !
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
60. Northeast Airlines launched the 727-200 into service in late 1967. By mid-1968 only a single 727-200 was scheduled to fly into and out of Denver, Colorado. The flight originated east of Denver, and continued on to a destination west of Denver. Identify the airline and the route flown.HINT: It's not Frontier...
I think the other candidates (in terms of serving DEN from both east and west) are CO, TW, UA, and WA; thus the question is really about which of these had the 72S on line in mid-1968 ... I'll guess TWA, operating LGA-ORD-DEN-LAX
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
I am sure we all wish JL and Lady K the very best in this distressing situation. The severe damage of your family home is one of the worst aspects that can happen in life. Are de-humidifiers readily available there ?

Oh No ! I have submitted this to BBC News as a Key Example of the devastation that the USA has suffered here. Has a National Emergency been declared ? Not just One historic OAG but Several !
De-humidifiers are available but one must be prepared to pay a king's ransom to rent one (60 to 70 $ U.S. per day).

Fortunately, both of our large air conditioning units (which are located outside installed at ground level and were newly purchased last year) were undamaged by the flood and are now back on line following restoration of electricity this past Tuesday evening. We've got them cranked down to 72 degrees F and this has greatly decreased the indoor humidity. Plus, friends and family have loaned us a number of industrial-strength fans to help dry out the walls.

And, yes, I have made the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) aware of the multiple OAG loss. When they asked for a dollar amount, my response was "priceless", of course. However, my calls to both the Governor's office and the White House concerning this very grave matter have not been returned (sigh).......

Looking at the bright side, we are making progress in other areas besides the power being restored and the AC units being brought back on line. We have now removed all of the drywall and insulation up to four feet above the ground floor. We then removed all of the nails that were holding the drywall. The aforementioned fans were then used to dry out the walls, especially the interior of the walls facing outside.

More good news: I managed to save the BMW and my Bordeaux collection from the floodwaters. Plus, I have now replaced the Cajun Bloody Mary mix.

So there's hope.......
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
glad to hear you are well along in recovery mode
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by miniliq
84. In 1969, four airlines operated nonstop flights between Miami and Port Au Prince. Identify each airline and the equipment it operated on this route.
HINT: Air France Caravelle and Pan Am 707 identified so far...

Two remaining candidates are Caribair (CB) and Dominicana (DO), but I'm not sure of the aircraft -- possibly DC-9's.

Right on, mini! ^ I'd post the schedules but I'm down here in America's oldest city where it's 91 degrees with about equal humidity. I'm looking forward to spending tomorrow afternoon in nice and cool Seattle before returning up to Fairbanks tomorrow evening.

Watch here for those schedules on Saturday night or Sunday morning.

P.S. Spotted parked at MCO yesterday - a BAC-111 wearing the faded remnants of US Air's livery.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
And, yes, I have made the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) aware of the multiple OAG loss. When they asked for a dollar amount, my response was "priceless", of course. However, my calls to both the Governor's office and the White House concerning this very grave matter have not been returned (sigh).......
Good to hear you're on the mend, JL. Later this evening I'll raise a couple of Bloody Mary's to your ongoing and complete recovery. ^

Additionally, I might be able to help you out a bit with some of those soggy OAGs. Watch your mail!
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... tomorrow afternoon in nice and cool Seattle ...
the forecast high temperature at BFI for Friday is 93 degrees
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
the forecast high temperature at BFI for Friday is 93 degrees
But hopefully with much less humidity than soggy southern Louisiana.

And the National Weather Service has once again issued a flash flood warning here as intense thunderstorms continue to pummel parts of the region with heavy rain. Several area rivers are now back on the rise after an initial slow fall; however, I do not think we'll see the severe flooding we experienced last weekend.....I hope.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
60. Northeast Airlines launched the 727-200 into service in late 1967. By mid-1968 only a single 727-200 was scheduled to fly into and out of Denver, Colorado. The flight originated east of Denver, and continued on to a destination west of Denver. Identify the airline and the route flown.

I think the other candidates (in terms of serving DEN from both east and west) are CO, TW, UA, and WA; thus the question is really about which of these had the 72S on line in mid-1968 ... I'll guess TWA, operating LGA-ORD-DEN-LAX

I reckon if I told you everything was correct except ORD, the alternative would be too easy, so close enough! It was TWA operating STL-DEN-LAX. ^
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:24 am

[1969]

79. This airline claimed to be the “Pride of Scandinavia”
HINT: It operated jets
Well, SAS is far too obvious, isn't it ? Sterling had some Caravelles and typically based one in each major Scandinavian city/country, but still quite a number of DC-6B as well. Braathens was Norway only.

Let's go for SAS shall we ?

[2016] P.S. Spotted parked at MCO yesterday - a BAC-111 wearing the faded remnants of US Air's livery.
I don't know if this is actually a question or not but my guess is that it is the former N1117J, ex-US Air, used for many years as a fire service trainer by the Orlando airfield fire department. There used to be the largest One-Eleven maintenance & repair organisation in the USA down the west side of MCO and it was a regular hub for One-Eleven maintenance activity, so a handy place to get a retired aircraft from. Originally Mohawk in 1966, then Allegheny and US Air, it was retired in 1989 so a survivor of 27 years on the ground in the Florida sunshine, actually longer than it was in operation.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/305351...-ynFukS-FunxPF

(No wheels no engines)

Last edited by WHBM; Aug 19, 2016 at 11:08 am
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... my guess is that it is the former N1117J ... Originally Mohawk in 1966, then Allegheny and US Air, it was retired in 1989 so a survivor of 27 years on the ground in the Florida sunshine, actually longer than it was in operation.
I logged three flights on this jet: ELM-DCA (MO) in Mar 72, JFK-BAL (AL) in Jun 75, and PIT-DCA (AL) in Jun 80
Old Aug 21, 2016, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

[b]84. In 1969, four airlines operated nonstop flights between Miami and Port Au Prince. Identify each airline and the equipment it operated on this route.[b]
[b]HINT: Air France Caravelle and Pan Am 707 identified so far...

Right on, mini! I'd post the schedules but I'm down here in America's oldest city where it's 91 degrees with about equal humidity. I'm looking forward to spending tomorrow afternoon in nice and cool Seattle before returning up to Fairbanks tomorrow evening.

Watch here for those schedules on Saturday night or Sunday morning.

CB 921 MIA-PAP 830a - 1025a D9S Freq. 146
DO 303 MIA-PAP 900a - 945a DC9 Freq. 2
PA 443 MIA-PAP 1045a - 1225p 707 Freq. 47
AF 243 MIA-PAP 245p - 445p CVL Daily
DO 301 MIA-PAP 300p - 345p DC9 Freq. 47

Note: Interesting that per the schedule DO 303 leaves half an hour later than CB 921 yet arrives 40 minutes earlier. Maybe its standard DC-9s were powered by advanced JT8D-17s
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:18 am

Interesting that per the schedule DO 303 leaves half an hour later than CB 921 yet arrives 40 minutes earlier. Maybe its standard DC-9s were powered by advanced JT8D-17s
Sounds like someone has taken daylight saving changes into account, and someone else hasn't. What do the times look like in the opposite direction ?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sounds like someone has taken daylight saving changes into account, and someone else hasn't. What do the times look like in the opposite direction ?
Good point, WHBM. Let's find out...

AF 242 PAP-MIA 1115a - 120p CVL Daily
DO 302 PAP-MIA 1200n - 245p DC9 Sat. only
CB 920 PAP-MIA 315p - 510p D9S Wed. Fri. Sun. only
PA 444 PAP-MIA 710p - 855p 707 Mon. Fri. only

The schedule is from November and just to be sure I double checked all of the times. Interesting to note that DO's return times are 40 minutes longer than fellow twinjet operators AF and CB...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.