Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

38. In 1955 Four U.S. airlines provided nonstop service between three U.S. gateway cities and Havana, Cuba. Identify each airline and the city/cities it served Havana from.
38. Here we go.....and I think there may have actually been four U.S. gateway cities.

* Braniff International: Houston Hobby (HOU)

* Delta (may have been operating as Delta C&S at this time): New Orleans (MSY)

* National: Miami (MIA) and Tampa (TPA)

* Pan American World Airways: Miami (MIA)
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by kochleffel
That was the name of one version of the De Havilland DH 60: Moth because its wings could fold back against the body, i.e., fuselage, and Gipsy after the engine that was installed in that version. But I think that the pub was named after the boat that was named for the aircraft and which Francis Chichester sailed alone around the world (very eventfully); the boat was docked next to the Cutty Sark.
Got it in one !

Chichester was the first to fly from the UK to New Zealand in (1930 ?), in a Gipsy Moth, later flying Gipsy Moth 2. He later got into significant sailing and named his successive boats Gipsy Moth 3, etc, after his pioneering aircraft. It was in Gipsy Moth 4 in 1966 that (aged 65) he was the first ever to sail single-handed round the world. The boat was long displayed just by the Cutty Sark, facing the eponymous pub. Only in recent years it was taken away and put back in the water, it now turns up at various events around the country.

Sidebar story, but he was completely out of communication for weeks across the Southern Pacific to rounding the stormy waters of Cape Horn. GM4 was only 50 feet long. The Royal Navy and the RAF got into an unofficial competition to see who could find him approaching there first; it was won by the Navy, who then called the RAF Shackleton https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Shackleton in to film them. The first television pictures were got back by the RAF, operating from an airport at the tip of Chile, but the spectacular ones are from the Navy destroyer which accompanied him about half a mile off whilst plunging through the seas. And here he is

Meanwhile, back in the UK, a question was put in Parliament to the Minister of Defence about the cost of all this. The minister replied that "the ship and aircraft just happened by chance to be in the area at the time anyway - and if they hadn't just happened by chance to be there at the time anyway, I should have certainly wanted to know why not".

The boat's no longer there but the pub's name lives on. So does Chichester's long distance aviation navigation technique, described on his Wikipedia page, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Chichester which became a pre-GPS standard.

Last edited by WHBM; Jul 27, 2016 at 11:36 am
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Got it in one !

The boat was long displayed just by the Cutty Sark, facing the eponymous pub......

The boat's no longer there but the pub's name lives on.....
Excellent commentary, as usual, and the Gipsy Moth pub sounds lovely (not to mention being located conveniently close to a DLR station). We've put it on our list......

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 28, 2016 at 6:58 am Reason: rail station correction
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
[QUOTE=Seat 2A;26959379]
16. Following a long weekend spent at a business partner’s ranch in the nearby Medicine Bow Mountains, we return to Cheyenne where we are presented with a choice of three airlines offering service down to Denver, Colorado. Two of the airlines offer nonstop flights while the third offers a single daily one-stop flight. Identify each of the three airlines and the enroute stop that one of them makes.[/qupte]

I'll go with Western, Continental, and Frontier (with a stop in Greeley)

Western is correct, as is Greeley, CO. Continental and Frontier are incorrect, although I will say that based upon the schedules I reference for this question, a precursor of Frontier would be a correct choice for one of these airlines. Now then, which one? And was it the one that operated nonstop or via Greeley. Please - have another go at this!
OK let's try again after some corrective research-- I'll go with United for the nonstop Cheyenne to Denver, and Challenger (which merged with Monarch to form Frontier mid-1950) for the stop in Greeley (which Frontier continued through the rest of 1950 I think).
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

22. In the midst of a marvelous afternoon at the 5th Annual Okeechobee Gator Wrasslin’ Jamboree, you get a message from one of your colleagues at the Audubon Foundation (What tha – nobody was even supposed to know you were here! How’re you ever going to explain this?!) insisting that you must get down to Mexico City at once! A rare scissor tailed Agave Warbler has been spotted in the mountains outside of Puebla. OMG!!! Dropping everything including your beer, you rush to the nearest payphone and call your local travel agent. With your UATP card on file, she quickly and efficiently books you a seat aboard the only nonstop flight offered between Miami and Mexico City. Identify the airline and the aircraft you’ll be flying upon.
22. Well, to begin with, I've never actually seen someone attempt to wrestle with an alligator....and we have some very large members of species here in Louisiana (I mean the gators, of course, and not the local Cajuns....although it appears at least one local Cajun I know apparently married an alligator judging by the current state of their relationship). Plus, it appears a perfectly good beer has gone to waste here......

However, I wander from my theme.....and I believe the air carrier in question may have been Guest Aerovias Mexico operating a Constellation.

Speaking of birds, I recharged our hummingbird feeder yesterday afternoon when I got home from work. This time of year there are quite a few of the little VTOL avian flyers present in south Louisiana which have migrated to our area for the summer from southern Mexico and Central America. Some of these hummingbirds actually migrate across the open waters of the western Gulf of Mexico. I know of several deep water oil and gas platforms in the western Gulf that actually have hummingbird feeders in place in order to provide these little guys and gals with a much welcome pit stop during their long overwater migratory flight.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Indelaware
This sounds like it was the "The Airline of the Stars" - viz. National Airlines.
...and the equipment would be a DC-7.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Good Morning, all! I apologize for the delay in responding to your responses. We've had some internet connectivity problems here in the wilds of Alaska but appear to be back up now. Alas, I'm off to work but I will respond to any and all answers upon my return this evening. Thanks to everyone for their participation and patience!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 19, 2017 at 10:43 am
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
1955 ... 36. Two airlines offered nonstop flights between New York and Caracas. Identify each airline and the equipment it operated on this route.
let's say Pan Am with a DC-6B and LAV (Linea Aeropostal Venezolana) with a Constellation
Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
38. In 1955 Four U.S. airlines provided nonstop service between three U.S. gateway cities and Havana, Cuba. Identify each airline and the city/cities it served Havana from.

Here we go.....and I think there may have actually been four U.S. gateway cities.

* Braniff International: Houston Hobby (HOU)

* Delta (may have been operating as Delta C&S at this time): New Orleans (MSY)

* National: Miami (MIA) and Tampa (TPA)

* Pan American World Airways: Miami (MIA)

I believe you are correct with four cities, however while Braniff's route map shows HOU-HAV, I can find no corresponding schedules to support that route. Everything BN flies appears to operate nonstop out of Miami. Can you find any HOU-HAV in 1955?

Delta is correct out of New Orleans.

National is correct out of Tampa and Miami plus one more city...

Pan American is correct out of Miami.

Tempting though it is to leave this question open, I believe the answer to the other city served by National will be sufficiently obvious that I'll just go ahead and provide it here. The envelope please...

New York to Havana. (Applause)

22. In the midst of a marvelous afternoon at the 5th Annual Okeechobee Gator Wrasslin’ Jamboree, you get a message from one of your colleagues at the Audubon Foundation (What tha – nobody was even supposed to know you were here! How’re you ever going to explain this?!) insisting that you must get down to Mexico City at once! A rare scissor tailed Agave Warbler has been spotted in the mountains outside of Puebla. OMG!!! Dropping everything including your beer, you rush to the nearest payphone and call your local travel agent. With your UATP card on file, she quickly and efficiently books you a seat aboard the only nonstop flight offered between Miami and Mexico City. Identify the airline and the aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

Well, to begin with, I've never actually seen someone attempt to wrestle with an alligator....and we have some very large members of species here in Louisiana (I mean the gators, of course, and not the local Cajuns....although it appears at least one local Cajun I know apparently married an alligator judging by the current state of their relationship). Plus, it appears a perfectly good beer has gone to waste here......

However, I wander from my theme.....and I believe the air carrier in question may have been Guest Aerovias Mexico operating a Constellation.

Whut tha - yew ain' nevah seen no-one rassle no gatuhs b'fo? Well you doan no whut yew be missin, Suh! Regardless, your answer regarding Guest Aerovias Mexico operating a Constellation es correcto! Muy bien!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 30, 2016 at 1:36 am
Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

16. Following a long weekend spent at a business partner’s ranch in the nearby Medicine Bow Mountains, we return to Cheyenne where we are presented with a choice of three airlines offering service down to Denver, Colorado. Two of the airlines offer nonstop flights while the third offers a single daily one-stop flight. Identify each of the three airlines and the enroute stop that one of them makes.

OK let's try again after some corrective research-- I'll go with United for the nonstop Cheyenne to Denver, and Challenger (which merged with Monarch to form Frontier mid-1950) for the stop in Greeley (which Frontier continued through the rest of 1950 I think).

Your research is correct, mini. All of the above mentioned in addition to Western's flight rounds out this answer. Each of the three airlines operated DC-3s on this route.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 19, 2017 at 10:44 am
Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

29. What airline and aircraft would you be flying upon if you were living it up in the “Starlight Cocktail Lounge”?

Per Indelaware:This sounds like it was the "The Airline of the Stars" ~ National Airlines....

Per st1575: And the equipment would be a DC-7.

And together we have a correct answer!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
36. Two airlines offered nonstop flights between New York and Caracas. Identify each airline and the equipment it operated on this route.

Let's say Pan Am with a DC-6B and LAV (Linea Aeropostal Venezolana) with a Constellation

And another one bites the dust! Good job, jrl767!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Only three more to go! And after this I've got a bunch of 1960s era questions including jet operated schedules...

2A. This airline’s 1948 ads claimed it to be the second most elderly airline in America. Which airline is it?
2B. As of 1948, what was the oldest major airline in America? A N S W E R E D
2C. As of 1948, identify the oldest continually operating airline regardless of size in America. (May be subject to debate - not a bad thing. C'mon! Give it a go!)

14. Continuing our rather roundabout journey in 1950, we board this airline’s daily two-stop service from Boise, Idaho to Portland, Oregon. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two intermediate stops along the way.

27. (1955) (The WHBM Special)If you were to book a flight aboard “The Green Hell Special”, which airline would you be flying, what aircraft would you be flying upon and where on earth would you be flying from and to?
HINT We're looking waay south of the border here...

PREVIEW OF COMING ATTRACTIONS

41. What was the flag carrier of the Republic of China? Identify the two primary long distance aircraft in its fleet.

42. Nonstop flights between New York and Manchester, UK are offered by only one airline. From Manchester this flight continued on to its home base. Identify the airline, the aircraft used and the onward destination from Manchester.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 30, 2016 at 10:20 pm
Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA
14. Continuing our rather roundabout journey in 1950, we board this airline’s daily two-stop service from Boise, Idaho to Portland, Oregon. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two intermediate stops along the way.
Surprised this hasn't gone. I reckon it was United, with a DC3. Stops along the way - well, they did several options. The Dalles and Pendleton would be a good combination.

I came this way by Greyhound bus circumnavigating the US as a student in 1974. Evel Knievel had just done his attempt to jump the Snake River the other side of Boise, which was the talk of the bus. Later I drove the area myself, and recall it was just a succession of Lewisville and Clarksburg and Lewiston and Clarksville and Lewis County and ... you get the idea.

41. What was the flag carrier of the Republic of China? Identify the two primary long distance aircraft in its fleet.
What year, because it's changed over time. If sometime in the 1960s then CAT (Civil Air Transport), who had a couple of odd jets, generally leased so the major manufacturers didn't offend mainland China by direct sales. They had a solitary Convair 880 for much of the decade, doubtless looked after covertly by Cathay Pacific across the sea in Hong Kong, and a solitary DC-6B that lasted for a long time. They replaced the Cv880 with a 727 that almost immediately crashed, and that was the end. CAT quite openly tied up with Air America and Air Asia, and all the derring-do they were involved with in Asia over the years.

Last edited by WHBM; Jul 31, 2016 at 1:06 pm
Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by WHBM
Surprised this hasn't gone. I reckon it was United, with a DC3. Stops along the way - well, they did several options. The Dalles and Pendleton would be a good combination.
the map would seem to indicate the reverse sequence, since PDT is east of DLS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.