Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: All of them!
Re: Question about Cathay Pacific 880 aircraft with the "m" designation. This indicated that the aircraft was using a newer version of the General Electric CJ-805-3 engine. Now time to go back and do yard work!!!!!!
Old May 6, 2012, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by cs57
Re: Question about Cathay Pacific 880 aircraft with the "m" designation. This indicated that the aircraft was using a newer version of the General Electric CJ-805-3 engine. Now time to go back and do yard work!!!!!!
Thanks for that, cs57!

And speaking of the Convair 880 back in 1963......

I'll go ahead and answer one of my previous questions concerning the first scheduled passenger airline jet service operated from Oakland (OAK):

The airline was TWA and the aircraft was the Convair 880. Routing was OAK-ORD and the year was 1963.
Old May 6, 2012, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
7) Well, you had the "Space Corridor" question listed in your response but did not include an answer! Would you care to try again, sir?!

Sorry about that! I'm not even sure what the space corridor is. A route between Huntsville and Houston?

10) Correct! Aloha operated the 73S on a routing on HNL-JON. And would you care to share the other non-Hawaiian island destination that Aloha flew to with us (as I can't remember it)?

The other destination was Christmas Island (Kiritimati), part of the island nation of Kiribati. By the way, there is another Christmas Island that is part of the Cocos or Keeling Islands. It's famous for its red crab migration and some of you might also remember it as a refueling stop for Qantas and SAA flights between Australia and South Africa.
Old May 6, 2012, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Actually, the "Space Corridor", as defined by Eastern Airlines (which came up with the term in order to promote their new routes to SEA and PDX from STL), linked the Kennedy Space Center (being Orlando (MCO) and Melbourne (MLB) with both airports being listed as serving the "Kennedy Space Center" in the EA timetable) with Huntsville (HSV), St. Louis (STL), Portland (PDX) and Seattle (SEA).

The Seattle service was aimed at the Boeing folks, St. Louis for the McDonnell Douglas folks, Huntsville is the location of NASA's Marshall Spaceflight Center, and as for Portland....well, I don't know if the PDX area had any space-related activities at the time but EA included it anyway on their "Space Corridor" route!

Typical routings were SEA-PDX-STL-HSV-MCO-MLB or MLB-MCO-HSV-STL-SEA. Both were flown with a B727-100.

EA also flew one stop direct service from LAX to MLB via ATL with a B727-100 at one point in addition to operating a HOU-MSY-HSV round trip with a DC-9-30 during the Apollo program.

Last edited by jlemon; May 6, 2012 at 4:40 pm Reason: Additional info
Old May 6, 2012, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
9) What airline operated B727-200 service into Johnston Island (JON) in the Pacific Ocean?

I'm pretty sure Air Micronesia used to fly via Johnson Island because I used to look at those island hopping routings and drool over the possibility of doing one in a 727-100. Air Mike later replaced its -100s with -200s, so I'm gonna go with Air Micronesia.

12) These two airlines operated an interchange service featuring no-change-of-aircraft between Denver (DEN) and Atlanta (ATL) with no less than six (6) intermediate stops en route. Name the two airlines plus all six cities served between DEN and ATL as well as the aircraft type used on this classic milk run interchange route.

Eastern and Braniff used to run a one or two-stop interchange via Oklahoma City and I think Memphis, but when it comes to SIX stops, I'm guessing it involved Eastern out of Atlanta to Memphis and then maybe Braniff's milk run from Memphis to Denver via LIT, FSM, TUL, OKC and COS. Totally shooting from the hip here... Frontier used to run some serious milk runs between Memphis and Denver but I don't think they interlined with anyone, especially since those milk runs were flown with the venerable CVR-580s, otherwise known as the "Vomit Comets".
I'll look forward to the answer...
Old May 6, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
I have visited Port of Spain many times on business, always flying LFT-IAH-POS on CO and usually in F on a 738 IAH-POS round trip (this was back when my Plat Elite status actually meant something on CO).
Likewise -- made ten trips there in the last 18 months MSY-IAH-POS RT.

I'm not sure about the HS 748s.....but I do know that Arawak Airways operated Convair 440 recips and Beechcraft 99 turboprops on the POS-TAB shuttle service.
If it please the court, I submit the following evidence from the thread "50 Years Of HS 748 Flying" on airliners.net:

"The BW 748s were originally flown by arawak Airlines and later Trinidad and Tobago Air Services (TTAS) on the POS - TAB airbridge. When BW merged with TTAS in 1980 it inherited the fleet of 3 Avros and later added 3 more. BW used them to serve GND, FDF and SLU at various times as well as the domestic service, as the airbridge would later be known. The planes left the fleet in 1986."
Old May 6, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
OK.....

We'll do this alphabetically by airport using my trusty but tattered February 1976 OAG (it's also a bit wilted but still willing).....

Seven (7) cities in Louisiana had jet service at this time: I said six

Lake Charles (LCH) - Texas International operated three (3) DC-9 series 10 flights a day in addition to Convair 600 turboprop service.

And so, even though he was not totally correct, miniliq wins the complimentary cold beer!
My excuse for not listing Lake Charles was the date on my OAG -- Jan 1974. At that time, TT was still using Convairs to service LCH.
Can't get them all correct!

Thanks for all of your digging to find these questions -- great fun.
Old May 6, 2012, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's about time I contributed to the question collection. Here's a few to ponder...

1.) Cubana ordered two 707s but was unable to take delivery due to the embargo against Castro’s government. What happened to those 707s and what made them distinct by U.S. standards?

2.) Which U.S. airline operated the Fokker 70?

3.) What was Pan American’s Economy Class service branded as back in the 1960s?

4.) What airline once operated daily 747 nonstop flights between Chicago and Anchorage?

5.) What airline once flew stretch DC-8s between Anchorage and Fairbanks?

6.) Braniff originally ordered two 747-127s but only took delivery of one. That aircraft was painted orange. What color would the second one have been?

7.) Continental's original 747-124s were amongst the most comfortable 747s ever to fly with 9 across seating, three lounges and three separate passenger cabins or "Rooms". Anyone know the names of these rooms? And, as a bonus, name the lounges.

8.) What South Pacific based airline operated the BAC-111?

9.) What South Pacific based airline operated the Caravelle?

10.) Name three Pacific Island based airlines that operated the 727-100

11.) Name the major U.S. airline and its jet aircraft that once served Pendleton, Oregon

12.) Back in 1980 I flew aboard this airline on the following routing: DEN-GTF-FCA-GEG-SEA. What airline was it?
Old May 6, 2012, 11:11 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
It's about time I contributed to the question collection. Here's a few to ponder...

7.) Continental's original 747-124s were amongst the most comfortable 747s ever to fly with 9 across seating, three lounges and three separate passenger cabins or "Rooms". Anyone know the names of these rooms? And, as a bonus, name the lounges.

Here are my responses to some of them:

2.) Mid Pacific Airlines
3.) Pan Am called Economy Class "Rainbow Class" back in the 1960s
7.) CO'S 747-124s actually had four rooms, which were: The Kamehameha Room (the nose), followed by The Kabuki Room, The Bougainville Room and the Micronesia Room. The lounges were the Oceania Lounge in the upper deck, the Polynesian Pub in the cabin between The Kamehameha Room and the Kabuki Room and the Ponape Lounge in back of the Micronesia Room for Economy Class passengers.
8.) Air Nauru used to operate BAC-1-11s
9.) UTA (Union de Transports Ariens) used to operate Caravelles
10.) I stand to be corrected on this: Air Micronesia, Trans Australia Airlines (which became Australian Airlines), Air Tungaru (predecessor of now Air Kiribati).

Last edited by tonywestsider; May 6, 2012 at 11:26 pm
Old May 7, 2012, 12:35 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
I don't believe that Air Nauru had One-Elevens, although Air Pacific, with their One-Eleven 475 "hot-rods", were one of the few carriers to operate into there. Air Nauru started off with a Falcon business jet (just like FedEx did) and moved on through a Fokker F28 to Boeings. The operation was pretty much run, crewed and managed wholly by expat Australians under contract. By all accounts loads rarely exceeded what that Falcon might have handled, and completely empty sectors were not uncommon. Nauru, a Pacific island mini-state between Fiji and The Philippines, made its money from mining, when the mineral ran out they lost airline and airport.
Old May 7, 2012, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tonywestsider
Here are my responses to some of them:

2.) Mid Pacific Airlines
Alas ~ Mid-Pacific flew the Fokker F28. The airline I'm looking for was stateside...

3.) Pan Am called Economy Class "Rainbow Class" back in the 1960s
Correct! And what a nice service it was, too.

Check out those Coach meals!

7.) CO'S 747-124s actually had four rooms, which were: The Kamehameha Room (the nose), followed by The Kabuki Room, The Bougainville Room and the Micronesia Room. The lounges were the Oceania Lounge in the upper deck, the Polynesian Pub in the cabin between The Kamehameha Room and the Kabuki Room and the Ponape Lounge in back of the Micronesia Room for Economy Class passengers.

Correct, and thank you for the addition of the Micronesia Room. I totally forgot to add that one to the total when I wrote up the question. I should've known better since that's the room I sat in when I flew CO's 747 back in 1971. By the way, do you know what the Oceania Lounge was originally called?

Continental's 747-124

So far as I know, Air Nauru never operated BAC-111s. I've just done a bit of checking on the internet and haven't been able to find anything to support that either. However, one other airline definitely did. I even have a couple of its postcards depicting its BAC-111s in two different liveries.

9.) UTA (Union de Transports Ariens) used to operate Caravelles

Indeed they did, however so far as I know UTA's Caravelles were never used in the South Pacific. The DC-8, DC-10 and 747 did all the heavy lifting for UTA down there. Another airline did however operate Caravelles in the far southwestern Pacific.

10.) I stand to be corrected on this: Air Micronesia, Trans Australia Airlines (which became Australian Airlines), Air Tungaru (predecessor of now Air Kiribati).

You are correct on Air Mike and Air Tungaru (Good call on the latter as it was a relatively short lived and not well known airline.) Since Australia is a continent and not an island, I can't allow TAA, Ansett or Bloodstock Aviation. There is however one other island based airline that's livery on its 727-100s was based upon its flag..
Thank you to WHBM for the excellent answer regarding Air Pacific's BAC-111 and especially a bit of history on Air Nauru. I believe they were mining phosphate down there on Nauru and for awhile the citizens were doing pretty well. Last I heard unemployment exceeded 80%!

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 7, 2012 at 1:06 am
Old May 7, 2012, 1:24 am

Programs: BA
Another airline did however operate Caravelles in the far southwestern Pacific.
The original question was which "based" airline in this region operated Caravelles, to which the answer I would give would be AirCalin, 1983-87, running from Noumea to Australia and New Zealand. The English-language Wikipedia AirCalin page is only a summary, not covering the Caravelle, but the French version is much more descriptive.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircalin

However, well before this UTA did have Caravelle operations out of Noumea as well, and in fact on the same routes. UTA, a French long-haul airline from Paris, had a range of bizarre operations, but their Caravelle were one of the most extraordinary. They only bought two, in the mid-1960s. One ran from Paris two or three times a week, hip-hopping through some African minor points, which lacked the airfield facilities and/or loads to warrant a mainstream DC-8. The other was based in Noumea and ran services around the Pacific, again on very low frequency; it had taken over from a DC-4 which did the same thing. Quite how UTA managed to operate efficiently just two Caravelles, each based at opposite ends of the earth, has to be one of those mysteries, just like how they managed Los Angeles to Tahiti near-daily for many years when their only licences connecting this with their Paris base were out through Asia and across the South Pacific - and they did send their DC-8s, and later DC-10s, this way, running Paris-Asian points-Noumea-Tahiti-LAX, then doing one or more LAX-Tahiti shuttles, as well as Tahiti to Tokyo and Sydney, finally picking up a return leg to Paris. French flight crews were on a (doubtless very pleasant) long-term secondment to Tahiti or Noumea, but all the maintenance beyond daily line checks was done in Paris. I do wonder if there were any AirCalin Caravelle captains in Noumea who had, 20 years before, been junior UTA Caravelle first officers there.

Here's part of the 1968 UTA schedule in the Pacific, complete with the Caravelles

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...68/ut68-06.jpg

Now while I am writing this, I recall there was also for many years a detachment of French Air Force Caravelles in Tahiti as well, supporting the French missile tests in the area. Here's two of them.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Franc...0be9e4c80edaab

Last edited by WHBM; May 7, 2012 at 9:11 am
Old May 7, 2012, 8:55 am

America West Express (Mesa Airlines) had two F-70s for awhile, flying PHX-FAT, PHX-DSM, and PHX-GEG 1995-97. Perhaps other routes as well.
Old May 7, 2012, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
America West Express (Mesa Airlines) had two F-70s for awhile, flying PHX-FAT, PHX-DSM, and PHX-GEG 1995-97. Perhaps other routes as well.
Seat 2A's question #2: Technically speaking, the Fokker F-70 operator was Desert Sun Airlines, a division of Mesa operating as America West Express. I remember seeing one of their F-70s at GEG. The folks at Horizon Air (which was operating the F-28 at the time) at GEG were wishing they would upgrade to the F-70 (the CRJ-700 was not yet available). However, QX never operated the F-70 and I believe that Mesa division Desert Sun was the only operator of the F-70 in North America in sched pax ops. Mesa later replaced their F-70s with 50 pax CRJs.
Old May 7, 2012, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1.) Cubana ordered two 707s but was unable to take delivery due to the embargo against Castro’s government. What happened to those 707s and what made them distinct by U.S. standards?

4.) What airline once operated daily 747 nonstop flights between Chicago and Anchorage?

5.) What airline once flew stretch DC-8s between Anchorage and Fairbanks?

6.) Braniff originally ordered two 747-127s but only took delivery of one. That aircraft was painted orange. What color would the second one have been?

11.) Name the major U.S. airline and its jet aircraft that once served Pendleton, Oregon

12.) Back in 1980 I flew aboard this airline on the following routing: DEN-GTF-FCA-GEG-SEA. What airline was it?
4) Northwest Orient?

11) United with the B727-100.

12) Frontier with a B737-200?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.