Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
4. It's a beautiful afternoon in the summer of 1968 in Monterey, California. You are comfortably seated on board your buddy's catamaran moored in the local marina enjoying a glass of fine wine as he has just arrived following a sail trip from Santa Barbara. And then he says: "Hey, I've got a wild idea! Let's fly to Las Vegas tonight and have some fun! I mean, you're Mr. Airline Guy, right? Can you make this happen?" Of course you can....and you just happen to know there is a direct evening flight from MRY to LAS which makes one stop en route departing at 8:15pm and arriving at 10:06pm. You call the airline and reservations are confirmed. So which airline and aircraft type will you and your buddy be flying on and where will you be making that one stop en route from Monterey to Vegas?
Hint: aircraft was a jet.

Awright - so it was Airwest. That 1:51 travel time probably includes a 30-40 minute layover, leaving total scheduled flight time of 1:21 to 1:11. Nowhere south of MRY such as BFL or SBA really makes sense, so let's go north and say it was an ex-Pacific Boeing 727-100 flying MRY-SJC-LAS.

12. In the fall of 1979, two airlines were operating nonstop service from Las Vegas to Sacramento, each with one daily flight. Name both air carriers and the respective aircraft types they operated on the LAS-SMF route. Hint: One airline operated a twin engine jet while the other air carrier operated a four engine jet.

Hmm... how about a Western 720B and a Hughes Airwest DC-9-30...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 8, 2016 at 10:50 am
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
6. JoeDTW had previously guessed Texarkana (TXK). However, this flight did not stop in TXK nor did it stop in Shreveport (SHV).

So here's a hint: Texas International (TI) was the only airline ever to operate jet service into the destination in question.
Not many places left -- how about Hot springs (HOT)?
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
4. It's a beautiful afternoon in the summer of 1968 in Monterey, California. You are comfortably seated on board your buddy's catamaran moored in the local marina enjoying a glass of fine wine as he has just arrived following a sail trip from Santa Barbara. And then he says: "Hey, I've got a wild idea! Let's fly to Las Vegas tonight and have some fun! I mean, you're Mr. Airline Guy, right? Can you make this happen?" Of course you can....and you just happen to know there is a direct evening flight from MRY to LAS which makes one stop en route departing at 8:15pm and arriving at 10:06pm. You call the airline and reservations are confirmed. So which airline and aircraft type will you and your buddy be flying on and where will you be making that one stop en route from Monterey to Vegas?

Awright - so it was Airwest. That 1:51 travel time probably includes a 30-40 minute layover, leaving total scheduled flight time of 1:21 to 1:11. Nowhere south of MRY such as BFL or SBA really makes sense, so let's go north and say it was an ex-Pacific Boeing 727-100 flying MRY-SJC-LAS.

12. In the fall of 1979, two airlines were operating nonstop service from Las Vegas to Sacramento, each with one daily flight. Name both air carriers and the respective aircraft types they operated on the LAS-SMF route. Hint: One airline operated a twin engine jet while the other air carrier operated a four engine jet.

Hmm... how about a Western 720B and a Hughes Airwest DC-9-30...
4. Air West (RW) operating an ex-Pacific B727-100 is correct.

However, the stop was not San Jose (SJC). Which leaves......

12. Hughes Airwest operating a DC-9-30 is correct as well.

However, Western as well as the Boeing 720B are both incorrect.

Here's a hint:
the airline in question was not based in California.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
Not many places left -- how about Hot springs (HOT)?
6. Correct! Here's the sched....

TI 952: Los Angeles (LAX) 2:00p - 4:37p Albuquerque (ABQ) 5:00p - 7:30p Dallas Love Field (DAL) 7:55p - 8:42p Hot Springs (HOT) 8:57p - 9:18p Little Rock (LIT)
Op: Daily
Equip: DC9
Meal service: Dinner ABQ-DAL
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

However, the stop was not San Jose (SJC). Which leaves...... Uh, SFO!

12. Hughes Airwest operating a DC-9-30 is correct as well. However, Western as well as the Boeing 720B are both incorrect. Here's a hint: the airline in question was not based in California.

I imagine this could be a tag on route from an airline that already flew to LAS but not SMF. Let's try Delta with a DC-8-61
Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jemon
originally posted by Seat 2A
This sure sounds like Air West country. Back in '75 I flew an RW D9S on a SLC-PDX-LMT-SMF-SFO-MRY-LAX routing. The arrival and departure times don't appear to allow enough time to route through LAX, so it must be somewhere in between. Fresno's as good a guess as any. So there you have it -
I think Seat 2A had the answer -- was the intermedioate stop LAX?
Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

However, the stop was not San Jose (SJC). Which leaves...... Uh, SFO!

12. Hughes Airwest operating a DC-9-30 is correct as well. However, Western as well as the Boeing 720B are both incorrect. Here's a hint: the airline in question was not based in California.

I imagine this could be a tag on route from an airline that already flew to LAS but not SMF. Let's try Delta with a DC-8-61
4. Nope, the stop was not SFO.

12. Excellent guess! However, the airline was not Delta. But you are getting closer with regard to the equipment. Aircraft was a DC-8....but it was not a stretched Super 61 series. Please guess again!
Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
I think Seat 2A had the answer -- was the intermedioate stop LAX?
4. Indeed it was.....and here's the sched.....

RW 217: Monterey (MRY) 8:15p - 9:00p Los Angeles (LAX) 9:20p - 10:06p Las Vegas (LAS)
Op: Daily except Sat.
Equip: 727 JET
Old Jul 9, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

The 1980's Continued.....

21. It's the fall of 1985 and you are in Tokyo. You need to travel to Seoul for a meeting and have discovered a one stop flight which operates four days a week. You also note this service is flown with a Boeing 727-200 and first class is available. Identify the airline and the intermediate stop. And here's a hint: this air carrier was not based in Japan or South Korea. ANSWERED

The 1990's......

28. In 1992, Air Canada was operating Boeing 747-133 aircraft configured with two classes of service. What was the name given by AC to each class of service? Also identify the number of seats in each class of service.

29. Speaking of Air Canada, it's the spring of 1995 and you are in Toronto. You need to travel to Charlottetown on Prince Edward Island and have a choice of two airlines that can get you there nonstop. One is Air Canada. Identify the other air carrier and the jet equipment it was flying on the YYZ-YYG route at this time. The airline was not Canadian (CP)....

31. It's late winter of 1996 in Los Angeles and you've just received a call from your old sailing buddy. "So where are you now?" you ask and the answer is "Key West! Come on over! We've got the cat provisioned for a sail to the Turks and Caicos islands and you need to be on board!" Well, what the heck...and here's your chance to try first class on Carnival Air Lines from L.A. to Fort Lauderdale with a connection to Key West. So you book the flight and are then told by the Carnival agent your flight from FLL to EYW will actually be on another airline operating a de Havilland Canada DHC-7 Dash 7 turboprop via a code share. Name the Dash 7 operator.

32. You are back in New York City and it's the spring of 1997. The days of multi-stop milk run flights up and down the east coast between the northeast U.S. and Florida are over (remember that 727 flight operated by National that stopped just about everywhere?). Or are they? To your pleasant surprise, you've found a daily direct flight operated with a mainline jet aircraft type that makes four stops en route from New York JFK to Miami. Identify the airline, the equipment and all four stops in the order in which they were made.

The final three quiz items all have a time line of the summer of 1999.....

33. This airline was operating nonstop wide body service once a week between Nassau (NAS) and Havana (HAV). The westbound flight operated every Friday and the eastbound flight operated every Monday. Name the airline and the aircraft type.

34. Only one air carrier was operating Boeing 727 service into Winnipeg (YWG) at this time. Name the airline. The air carrier was not Northwest....

35. It's a beautiful Wednesday morning in Carcross, Yukon Territory. You've been visiting with friends for several days now having traveled up to Carcross from Skagway, Alaska via the White Pass & Yukon Route railroad. Now it's time to hit the road once again and begin your journey to Colorado Springs (COS). Your friends have graciously offered to drive you up the Route 2 Klondike Highway to the Whitehorse Airport (YXY) where you'll catch a Convair 580 operated by Era Aviation with a 12:00 noon departure nonstop to Anchorage (ANC). In Anchorage, you'll have plenty of time to enjoy a leisurely dinner with local friends at the Glacier Brewhouse brewpub before catching a red eye departure at 1:37am from ANC direct to COS with three intermediate stops being made en route. You'll arrive in the Springs at 1:07pm.

And then you arrive at the Whitehorse Airport and the fun begins. "I'm sorry, sir, but your Era flight has been cancelled," you're told at the check-in desk. "The aircraft has mechanical issues and is still in Anchorage". Hmmmm, what to do....and then you hear, "However, there is a another flight departing from Whitehorse at 1:05pm this afternoon nonstop to Anchorage and there is a seat available. You would also be flying on a jet aircraft." Book it!

So with all this in mind, please answer the following:

35-A. What airline and aircraft type will you be flying on from Whitehorse to Anchorage? ANSWERED

35-B. Identify the airline, the equipment and all three stops with regard to your flight from Anchorage to Colorado Springs. ANSWERED
Still looking for answers for the above quiz items.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 9, 2016 at 1:01 pm Reason: answer updates
Old Jul 9, 2016, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

21. Tokyo to Seoul in 1985 with intermediate stop on a 727
-I'm going with NW for the airline and Osaka as the stop, but Nagoya could also fit the bill
Old Jul 9, 2016, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

12. Re. 4 engine jet service between LAS and SMF: Excellent guess! However, the airline was not Delta. But you are getting closer with regard to the equipment. Aircraft was a DC-8....but it was not a stretched Super 61 series. Please guess again!

That doesn't seem to leave a lot of options... Let's go with United!

35. It's a beautiful Wednesday morning in Carcross, Yukon Territory. Your friends have graciously offered to drive you up the Route 2 Klondike Highway to the Whitehorse Airport (YXY) where you'll catch a Convair 580 operated by Era Aviation with a 12:00 noon departure nonstop to Anchorage (ANC). In Anchorage, you'll have plenty of time to enjoy a leisurely dinner with local friends at the Glacier Brewhouse brewpub before catching a red eye departure at 1:37am from ANC direct to COS with three intermediate stops being made en route. You'll arrive in the Springs at 1:07pm.

And then you arrive at the Whitehorse Airport and the fun begins. "I'm sorry, sir, but your Era flight has been cancelled," you're told at the check-in desk. "The aircraft has mechanical issues and is still in Anchorage". Hmmmm, what to do....and then you hear, "However, there is a another flight departing from Whitehorse at 1:05pm this afternoon nonstop to Anchorage and there is a seat available. You would also be flying on a jet aircraft." Book it!

35-A. What airline and aircraft type will you be flying on from Whitehorse to Anchorage?

Condor, the German airline, flew YXY - ANC/FAI. I just don't remember if it was doing so back in '99, but what the heck - I can't think of any others right now and the afternoon departure jives with an inbound arrival from Germany so let's go with Condor operating a 767-300.

35-B. Identify the airline, the equipment and all three stops with regard to your flight from Anchorage to Colorado Springs.

I'm going to go with Delta operating a 727-200 routing ANC-SEA-PDX-SLC-COS.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
12- how about a way-out-there guess: Braniff with a -62

35b- I'm thinking this was likely Reno Air, operating a MadDog via SEA, RNO (with SJC also a candidate), and LAS
Old Jul 9, 2016, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
21. Tokyo to Seoul in 1985 with intermediate stop on a 727
-I'm going with NW for the airline and Osaka as the stop, but Nagoya could also fit the bill
21. An excellent guess! And Osaka was indeed the stop.

However, the airline was not Northwest. So please guess again!
Old Jul 9, 2016, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

12. Re. 4 engine jet service between LAS and SMF: Excellent guess! However, the airline was not Delta. But you are getting closer with regard to the equipment. Aircraft was a DC-8....but it was not a stretched Super 61 series. Please guess again!

That doesn't seem to leave a lot of options... Let's go with United!

35. It's a beautiful Wednesday morning in Carcross, Yukon Territory. Your friends have graciously offered to drive you up the Route 2 Klondike Highway to the Whitehorse Airport (YXY) where you'll catch a Convair 580 operated by Era Aviation with a 12:00 noon departure nonstop to Anchorage (ANC). In Anchorage, you'll have plenty of time to enjoy a leisurely dinner with local friends at the Glacier Brewhouse brewpub before catching a red eye departure at 1:37am from ANC direct to COS with three intermediate stops being made en route. You'll arrive in the Springs at 1:07pm.

35-A. What airline and aircraft type will you be flying on from Whitehorse to Anchorage?

Condor, the German airline, flew YXY - ANC/FAI. I just don't remember if it was doing so back in '99, but what the heck - I can't think of any others right now and the afternoon departure jives with an inbound arrival from Germany so let's go with Condor operating a 767-300.

35-B. Identify the airline, the equipment and all three stops with regard to your flight from Anchorage to Colorado Springs.

I'm going to go with Delta operating a 727-200 routing ANC-SEA-PDX-SLC-COS.
12. Nope, the airline was not United.

35-A. Correct!!!!!!!! Here's the sched.....

DE 3066: Whitehorse (YXY) 1:05p - 1:40p Anchorage (ANC)
Op: Wednesdays only
Equip: 767

And this Condor flight did indeed originate in Germany.

35-B. Ah, the airline was not Delta, the equipment was not a B727-200 and the flight did not stop in PDX or SLC (but it did stop in SEA). Please guess again!
Old Jul 9, 2016, 11:07 am

21. I'll guess Pan Am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.