Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2012, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
6) CMH-IAD on Southern -- DC9

7) ANI-ANC on Wien Air Alaska (WC) -- 737

10) Now we're getting close to home -- only 6 Louisiana airports with scheduled passenger jet service in the mid-70s. In alphabetical order:
Alexandria (ESF) -- DL: DC9
Baton Rouge (BTR) -- DL, SO, TT: all DC9
Lafayette (LFT) -- TT: DC9
Monroe (MLU) -- SO: DC9
New Orleans (MSY) -- BN, CO, EA: all 727; SO and TT: DC9; DL: DC9 and 727; NA: DC8, DC9, DC10, 727
Shreveport (SHV) -- BN and DL: both DC9.

I flew into all of the above LA airports in those days, but often on TTs non-jet milk runs on Convairs.

The above are all domestic jet services. In addition, I believe DL and EA had DC8 service MSY-MEX; Taca had BAC-111s MSY to Central America; PanAm flew 727s MSY to Central America; and Viasa flew DC9s MSY to Venezuela. In fact, my first international flight was on 8/9/64 on Viasa, MSY-MAR (Maracaibo). I was living in Houston at that time, but we had to go through New Orleans to get visas.
OK.....

Time to tackle the great response from minliq to quiz item #10......

We'll do this alphabetically by airport using my trusty but tattered February 1976 OAG (it's also a bit wilted but still willing).....

Seven (7) cities in Louisiana had jet service at this time:

Alexandria (ESF) - Delta was the major airline player here with eight (8) flights a day operated with a mix of B727-200 and DC-9-30 equipment. Nonstop destinations included Baton Rouge (BTR), Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) and Shreveport (SHV). Direct services included Atlanta (ATL), Baltimore (BAL), New Orleans (MSY) and Washington D.C. (DCA). Service was operated from the Esler airfield which is now mainly used by the Louisiana National Guard. In fact, the Guard now uses the old ESF terminal building (yours truly checked it out awhile back). Some years ago, all airline service was moved to a former U.S. Air Force base which is now named Alexandria International (AEX). And yes, AEX does see occasional international flights in the form of military charters for the Ft. Polk U.S. Army base.

Baton Rouge (BTR) - Delta operated nine (9) flights a day with a mix of B727-200 and DC-9-30 aircraft, Southern (SO) operated six (6) flights a day with DC-9 series 10 equipment and Texas International (TI) flew the DC-9 series 10 into BTR three (3) times a day . Note that Texas International was using the TI code at this time instead of the old TT (Trans Texas Airways) code.

Lafayette (LFT) - Texas International operated eight (8) flights a day with the DC-9 series 10 and also operated Convair 600 turboprop flights as well. Nonstop service included Baton Rouge (BTR), Beaumont (BPT), Lake Charles (LCH) and New Orleans (MSY). Direct service included Houston (IAH), Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) and Little Rock (LIT). And LFT even had direct service from Los Angeles at this time via a TI operated DC-9. Routing was LAX-ABQ-ROW-MAF-DFW-IAH-BPT-LFT.

Lake Charles (LCH) - Texas International operated three (3) DC-9 series 10 flights a day in addition to Convair 600 turboprop service.

Monroe (MLU) - Delta operated eight (8) flights a day with a mix of B727-200 and DC-9-30 aircraft while Southern operated six (6) flights a day with the DC-9 series 10. DL flew nonstop to ATL, DFW, JAN and SHV. SO had direct service to MEM, MSY and ORD. MLU is where DL was born as an aerial crop dusting operator with this business activity eventually leading to passenger airline service. The rest is history.....

New Orleans (MSY) - Ah, the Crescent City! Just about everybody flew into MSY back then (with a few exceptions such as AA and NW).....and New Orleans even had a fair amount of international service to Mexico and Central America. National (NA) operated DC-10 flights into MSY (note that the original NA never operated DC-9s) while DL operated the L-1011 into New Orleans as well. DL also operated nonstop flights to Los Angeles (LAX), San Juan (SJU) and Montego Bay (MBJ) with DC-8 Super 60 series aircraft. Aviateca (GU) operated nonstop BAC One-Eleven service to Merida, Mexico (MID) while Eastern (EA) flew a B727-100 nonstop to Mexico City (MEX). And one could even fly to Birmingham, AL (BHM) nonstop on a DL DC-8.

Shreveport (SHV) - Braniff International (BN) operated three (3) flights a day with B727-200 equipment (note that the original BN never operated DC-9s) . But Delta was the big player here with a whopping thirty-three (33) flights a day operated with a mix of B727-100, B727-200 and DC-9-30 aircraft.

And so, even though he was not totally correct, miniliq wins the complimentary cold beer!

Last edited by jlemon; May 4, 2012 at 7:33 pm Reason: Tuned it up a bit.....
Old May 4, 2012, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I just got back in town after a whirlwind tour of Maine, Wisconsin, Illinois, California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah and Colorado. It's long past time for me to come up with some questions as well but special thanks to jlemon for this latest batch. One I think I might know...

9) What airline flew nonstop between Oakland (OAK) and Papeete, Tahiti (PPT) and what type of aircraft was operated on the route?

I seem to recall reading that Air France operated this route briefly a few years ago. I don't recall the aircraft, but if I had to guess I'd say it might have been one of the early A340-200s with the "Hair Dryer" engines.
Old May 5, 2012, 1:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
9) What airline flew nonstop between Oakland (OAK) and Papeete, Tahiti (PPT) and what type of aircraft was operated on the route?

I seem to recall reading that Air France operated this route briefly a few years ago. I don't recall the aircraft, but if I had to guess I'd say it might have been one of the early A340-200s with the "Hair Dryer" engines.
I don't think it was Air France. AF probably operated CDG-LAX-PPT.

It could have been UTA French Airlines but I suspect it was Corsair. Corsair did fly to Oakland. At one point, it flew 747SPs.

That's my answer: Corsair.

Which plane? First guess is the 747SP. If not, maybe the DC-10. 3rd choice: 747-200.
Old May 5, 2012, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by 797-3
I don't think it was Air France. AF probably operated CDG-LAX-PPT.

It could have been UTA French Airlines but I suspect it was Corsair. Corsair did fly to Oakland. At one point, it flew 747SPs.

That's my answer: Corsair.

Which plane? First guess is the 747SP. If not, maybe the DC-10. 3rd choice: 747-200.
797-3 is correct! The airline was Corsair. The aircraft was actually a B747-312 (according to the photos I've seen) and the routing was ORY-OAK-PPT.

I had thought that AOM, another French airline, had also flown Paris-Oakland-Papeete with a DC-10 but I can find no evidence of this.....

And you are also correct with regard to AF and their 744 service CDG-LAX-PPT.
Old May 5, 2012, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I just got back in town after a whirlwind tour of Maine, Wisconsin, Illinois, California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah and Colorado. It's long past time for me to come up with some questions as well but special thanks to jlemon for this latest batch. One I think I might know...

Welcome back, Seat 2A! And please let me know if you would like to donate some airline miles to a worthy cause (such as yours truly )!

It's a beautiful morning here in south Louisiana - in fact, it's the type of day when we sometimes see powerful thunderstorm squall lines develop to our north and northwest that then race south and southeast to the Gulf. We'll see what the WX brings us today......

And with that, are there any takers with regard to quiz item #8 above? Anyone care to guess what airline operated the first jet service from OAK and the aircraft type?

I've got ten more questions ready to go and will post them later today....

Hope everyone has a fine Saturday!
Old May 5, 2012, 7:11 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
Looks like we have not had any quiz questions in awhile....

So.....

Let us return to the quiz!

I think it was Corsair, in the 1990s, using 747s.

In the 60s, PA flew 707s between PPT and SFO; UTA had DC8s PPT-LAX; and interestingly, QF had a "Fiesta Route" that flew nonstop PPT to Acapulco on a fascinating weekly schedule: SYD-AKL-NAN-PPT-ACA-MEX-KIN-NAS-BDA-LHR
Old May 5, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: BA
QF had a "Fiesta Route" that flew nonstop PPT to Acapulco on a fascinating weekly schedule: SYD-AKL-NAN-PPT-ACA-MEX-KIN-NAS-BDA-LHR
This route was renowned by the Qantas commercial department for low passenger loads while it ran through the 1960s-70s. Due to this availability it was often used westbound by Qantas as a place to put emigrants from the UK to Australia, who were travelling, generally as a complete family, under the well-known (at the time) "£10 emigrants assisted passage" scheme, funded by the Australian government, a decidedly one-way traffic of course. Many of these people had never travelled by air before and had little idea of en-route geography, it must have reinforced their impression that Australia was going to be "a long way away".
Old May 5, 2012, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
This route was renowned by the Qantas commercial department for low passenger loads while it ran through the 1960s-70s. Due to this availability it was often used westbound by Qantas as a place to put emigrants from the UK to Australia, who were travelling, generally as a complete family, under the well-known (at the time) "£10 emigrants assisted passage" scheme, funded by the Australian government, a decidedly one-way traffic of course. Many of these people had never travelled by air before and had little idea of en-route geography, it must have reinforced their impression that Australia was going to be "a long way away".
Hello again, WHBM!

With a routing of LHR-BDA-NAS-KIN-MEX-ACA-PPT-NAN-AKL-SYD, I can readily see how one would think that Sydney was definitely "a long way away", especially when boarding at Heathrow and traveling in coach!

I believe QF operated a 707 on this route......
Old May 5, 2012, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Time for some additional questions, I think, before I tackle the outside chores for today.....

1) Way back in 1963, Cathay Pacific (CX) operated only one jet aircraft type in their fleet. Name the aircraft. Cathay also operated only one turboprop aircraft type at this time. Name this aircraft as well.

2) What was the only aircraft type operated by British West Indian Airways (BWIA) in 1974?

3) What airline offered "Famous Restaurant Service" on select flights?

4) Many years ago, Arawak Airlines flew a shuttle service between Port of Spain (POS) and Tobago (TAB) using two different aircraft types. Name both types.

5) What Mexican airline operated the Hawker Siddeley 748 turboprop?

6) What airline operated Vickers Viscount service into Alamogordo, New Mexico (ALM)?

7) This airline operated a route they marketed as the "Space Corridor". Name the airline, the six (6) cities served on the route and the aircraft type used.

8) Name two aircraft types operated by Leeward Island Air Transport (LIAT) in the Caribbean in 1971.

9) What airline operated B727-200 service into Johnston Island (JON) in the Pacific Ocean?

10) What airline operated B737-200 service into Johnston Island (JON) in the Pacific Ocean? (Hint: it was a different airline than question #9)

11) What airline operated transatlantic service between Orlando (MCO) and Berlin Tegel (TXL) via Brussels (BRU) and what aircraft type was used?

12) These two airlines operated an interchange service featuring no-change-of-aircraft between Denver (DEN) and Atlanta (ATL) with no less than six (6) intermediate stops en route. Name the two airlines plus all six cities served between DEN and ATL as well as the aircraft type used on this classic milk run interchange route.

And now it's time for a little yard work to be followed by a properly chilled microbrew (specifically an IPA) from the great state of Oregon......

Cheers Everyone!

Last edited by jlemon; May 5, 2012 at 9:46 am Reason: Spelling
Old May 5, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Time for some additional questions,
2) What was the only aircraft type operated by British West Indian Airways (BWIA) in 1974?

4) Many years ago, Arawak Airlines flew a shuttle service between Port of Spain (POS) and Tobago (TAB) using two different aircraft types. Name both types.
You'll be the death of me if I don't get some of my own yard and other work done -- but having lived in Trinidad for a few years, I had to see if I could answer these two-
2)In 1961 BWIA had six 707s, and they took delivery of 4 more in 1974 -- BWIA's history is very convoluted and I won't try to explain it, but I would guess they had only 707's for awhile.
4) The POS-TAB airbridge has also gone through mny reincarnations -- Arawak lasted from about 1970-74. Aircraft: Hawker Siddeley 748s -- I'll guess the other type was Beech 66.

Now I must get up from my computer and do something productive!
Old May 5, 2012, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks for coming up with these great questions, jlemon. If ever there were any single route that as a kid I most ever fantasized about flying it was Qantas' Fiesta Route. Each one of those segments sounded downright exotic, especially flying westbound. If only Qantas had overnighted in Acapulco so that the flight into PPT could have been during daylight hours. What a beautiful trip that would have been, commencing descent soon after overflying the Marquesas Islands.

Let me have a go at a couple of these questions, then...

1) Way back in 1963, Cathay Pacific (CX) operated only one jet aircraft type in their fleet. Name the aircraft. Cathay also operated only one turboprop aircraft type at this time. Name this aircraft as well.

A few years ago I sold off an airline issued postcard of a Cathay Electra on eBay for $68.00. If I'd had a spare of one of Cathay's Convair 880s, I might have made enough to take the rest of the day off!

5) What Mexican airline operated the Hawker Siddeley 748 turboprop?

I believe it was Aeronaves de Mexico

6) What airline operated Vickers Viscount service into Alamogordo, New Mexico (ALM)?

The only airline I can think of that operated Viscounts in this region was Continental, so... that's my final answer.

7) This airline operated a route they marketed as the "Space Corridor". Name the airline, the six (6) cities served on the route and the aircraft type used.

8) Name two aircraft types operated by Leeward Island Air Transport (LIAT) in the Caribbean in 1971.

As a postcard collector, I'm quite proud of my colorful LIAT BAC-111s and HS-748 cards. Didn't LIAT also fly Trilanders?

10) What airline operated B737-200 service into Johnston Island (JON) in the Pacific Ocean? (Hint: it was a different airline than question #9)

I'm going with Aloha Airlines, which, if I'm correct, also flew 737-200 service to another remote Pacific Island famed for its excellent bone fish(ing).
Old May 5, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: All of them!
11) Air Service between Orlando and Berlin via BRU----Air Berlin, using 707s.
Old May 6, 2012, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'll be the death of me if I don't get some of my own yard and other work done -- but having lived in Trinidad for a few years, I had to see if I could answer these two-
2)In 1961 BWIA had six 707s, and they took delivery of 4 more in 1974 -- BWIA's history is very convoluted and I won't try to explain it, but I would guess they had only 707's for awhile.
4) The POS-TAB airbridge has also gone through mny reincarnations -- Arawak lasted from about 1970-74. Aircraft: Hawker Siddeley 748s -- I'll guess the other type was Beech 66.

Now I must get up from my computer and do something productive!
I have visited Port of Spain many times on business, always flying LFT-IAH-POS on CO and usually in F on a 738 IAH-POS round trip (this was back when my Plat Elite status actually meant something on CO). And I always enjoyed the scenery on the usual route for the return flight home: first due west along the coast of Venezuela and over the ABC islands controlled by the Dutch, then turning northwest passing by the tip of western Jamaica, then over the Cayman Islands (GCM on the left with CYB and LYB both on the right), then passing by the tip of western Cuba and over the Gulf to IAH.....truly a wonderful flight on good old CO (gone but not forgotten)....

And so to the answers....

2) Correct! BWIA only operated B707s at this time. Other aircraft operated by "Bee-Wee" over the years included the A321, A340, B727, B747, DC-9, L-1011, MD-80 and Vickers Viscount. BWIA now operates as Caribbean Airlines (but still uses the BW code) flying B737-800 equipment and also controls Air Jamaica as they move toward a merger with this carrier.

4) I'm not sure about the HS 748s.....but I do know that Arawak Airways operated Convair 440 recips and Beechcraft 99 turboprops on the POS-TAB shuttle service.

Last edited by jlemon; May 6, 2012 at 12:17 pm
Old May 6, 2012, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As usual, excellent answers from Seat 2A!

1) Correct on both answers! In 1963, the only jet aircraft type in Cathay Pacific's fleet was the Convair 880 series 22M. I find this series designation intriguing: what the heck is a CV 880-22M and how does it differ from those 880s operated by AS, DL, NE and TW here in the states? Any intel, anyone? And the only turboprop type operated by CX at this time was the venerable Lockheed L-188 "Electra".

5) Correct! Aeronaves de Mexico now operates as Aeromexico these days, of course.....

6) Correct! CO flew the Viscount into several cities in New Mexico with services to and from various destinations in Colorado and Texas.

7) Well, you had the "Space Corridor" question listed in your response but did not include an answer! Would you care to try again, sir?!

8) Correct! LIAT also operated the twin engine BN-2 "Islander" STOL recip (OAG code BNI). I'm not sure if LI ever operated the three engine BN "Trislander" (OAG code BNT) but they may well have.....

10) Correct! Aloha operated the 73S on a routing on HNL-JON. And would you care to share the other non-Hawaiian island destination that Aloha flew to with us (as I can't remember it)?

Last edited by jlemon; May 6, 2012 at 12:29 pm Reason: Additional Britten-Norman aircraft info
Old May 6, 2012, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cs57
11) Air Service between Orlando and Berlin via BRU----Air Berlin, using 707s.
cs57 is correct! Air Berlin USA flew MCO-BRU-TXL with 707 equipment. A version of Air Berlin is still flying to this day.....and perhaps WHBM or others can enlighten us concerning this carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.