Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA
PWA used a Convair 640 turboprop (that's a Convair 440 re-engined with Rolls-Royce Dart turboprops, the same as on the F-27) into Powell River, Comox and Campbell River. Port Hardy and Sandspit got the 737 jet.

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...w69/pw69-4.jpg

Contrary to some belief, runway length is not intrinsically tied to a given aircraft type. The key aspect is how heavily loaded it is to get airborne/stop, and the key variable in the loading is the fuel on board. These are short hops of under an hour each and the 737, with appropriate light fuel loads for those sectors, will have a sprightly performance. The same aircraft leaving the next day from Vancouver on a charter to Puerto Vallarta will have a completely different takeoff characteristic.

* See JL beat me to it. But the meatballs (handmade) and spaghetti served up by Mrs WHBM for dinner this evening was worth it !
Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
PWA used a Convair 640 turboprop (that's a Convair 440 re-engined with Rolls-Royce Dart turboprops, the same as on the F-27) into Powell River, Comox and Campbell River. Port Hardy and Sandspit got the 737 jet.

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...w69/pw69-4.jpg

* See JL beat me to it.
Barely...and the Feb. 1, 1976 OAG has Pacific Western serving Campbell River exclusively with the Boeing 737-200.

Also found the kitten ahead of the thundershower......
Old Jul 4, 2016, 1:38 pm

Let's try Ottawa and Sault St Marie as the stops on the Nordair 737 from YUL to YWG.

My favorite flight on the 4th was 19 years ago, when I was a guest of Pro Air on their first revenue flights DET-BWI-DET. When I saw a message in the old Airline List (an Email community that was popular in the mid 1990s, before Airliners.net or FlyerTalk) about Pro Air's first flight, on a whim I drove to DET from my then-home in Troy, Michigan, asked a manager if Pro Air would let me fly for free, and was delighted when he said yes.

Pro Air's employees, both in the air and on the ground, were really friendly. However, the neighborhood around DET was so bombed out that as soon as I deplaned, I looked out a window on the "land" side of the terminal to make sure that my car had not been stolen while I was gone. I felt that the dangerous neighborhood around DET would deter passengers from flying Pro Air, and unfortunately I was right.

I still have my boarding pass from the first flight, signed by Pro Air's president, as well as a souvenir cocktail glass presented by the airline, and a green glass paperweight presented by Boeing.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
8. It's the spring of 1974 and you are in Hartford where you've just completed a project. Now it's time to have some fun....so head west, young man, in first class! You won quite a bit of money playing poker last time you were in Las Vegas so you decide to try your luck again. There are no nonstop flights at this time from BDL to LAS. However, a one stop service catches your eye and you book a seat in the front cabin. You'll depart at 8:00am and arrive at 12 noon with breakfast and lunch being served en route. Name the airline, the equipment and the en route stop.

So we know it's United and the flight routes through Chicago. I can't imagine a 727 would attract much attention, and I think we're a year or two early for United's 747 service into Hartford. Let's go with a DC-10, and I'll even roll the dice and go one farther and have a guess at the flight number:

I once flew the appropriately numbered UA 711 ORD-LAS aboard a 767-200 and I vaguely recall the flight leaving mid-morning.

And now it's off to work. Yesterday one of our runs got trapped between two landslides. I missed another on the Toklat cliffs by about 5 minutes. The rain continues today with flood warnings out for Denali Park and the Interior. Wish me luck!
Old Jul 4, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
Let's try Ottawa and Sault St Marie as the stops on the Nordair 737 from YUL to YWG.
10. Ottawa (YOW) is incorrect; however, Sault Ste. Marie (YAM) is correct!

Three down and one to go......
Old Jul 4, 2016, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
8. It's the spring of 1974 and you are in Hartford where you've just completed a project. Now it's time to have some fun....so head west, young man, in first class! You won quite a bit of money playing poker last time you were in Las Vegas so you decide to try your luck again. There are no nonstop flights at this time from BDL to LAS. However, a one stop service catches your eye and you book a seat in the front cabin. You'll depart at 8:00am and arrive at 12 noon with breakfast and lunch being served en route. Name the airline, the equipment and the en route stop.

So we know it's United and the flight routes through Chicago. I can't imagine a 727 would attract much attention, and I think we're a year or two early for United's 747 service into Hartford. Let's go with a DC-10, and I'll even roll the dice and go one farther and have a guess at the flight number:

I once flew the appropriately numbered UA 711 ORD-LAS aboard a 767-200 and I vaguely recall the flight leaving mid-morning.

And now it's off to work. Yesterday one of our runs got trapped between two landslides. I missed another on the Toklat cliffs by about 5 minutes. The rain continues today with flood warnings out for Denali Park and the Interior. Wish me luck!
8. Ah, the aircraft was not a DC-10. And you're also off a couple of digits with regard to the flight number (although it does start with 7 and is three numbers).

Be careful out there in the wilds of Alaska, my man!

And we are off to the country for a big BBQ and fireworks show.

Happy Fourth, Everyone!
Old Jul 4, 2016, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
10. Ottawa (YOW) is incorrect; however, Sault Ste. Marie (YAM) is correct!

Three down and one to go......
Found an old timetable online so won't answer. Perhaps obvious but also unexpected.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

18. Your meeting in Indianapolis has been successful so now it's time to have some fun. Your old sailing buddy from Santa Barbara has called but he's not on his sailboat: he's in Lake Tahoe on a ski trip with several lovely ladies. "Come on out!" he says and you are in. Of course, there's no direct service from Indianapolis to Lake Tahoe so you'll have to connect from one airline to another in California. You book a first class seat on a flight departing IND at 8:00am that will land you in the Golden State at 10:55am with one intermediate stop being made en route. You'll then have one hour and 35 minutes to make your connection and will arrive at TVL on a nonstop flight at 1:33pm which will be plenty of time to hit the ski slopes before sunset in the Sierra Nevada range. Identify both airlines, the respective aircraft types, the intermediate stop following departure from IND and the connecting airport in California. ANSWERED - TWA operating an L10 IND-STL-LAX and AirCal operating an MD-80 LAX-TVL

19. In early 1985 there was only one airline operating nonstop jet service from San Diego (SAN) to Palm Springs (PSP). Name the air carrier and the equipment. ANSWERED
And we're good here.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 5, 2016 at 3:32 pm Reason: answer updates
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:48 am

and AirCal operating a ________ LAX-TVL ... Just looking for a couple of more answers here.....
A BAe146-200 ? AirCal had half a dozen new ones delivered in their last year before American took them over. One of these old AirCal ones still appears periodically here at London City, German charter operator WDL now has it, and British AW rent it in when one of their Embraers goes pfffft.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

In 1974, I'll go with a DC-8-61 via ORD.

18. Your meeting in Indianapolis has been successful so now it's time to have some fun. Your old sailing buddy from Santa Barbara has called but he's not on his sailboat: he's in Lake Tahoe on a ski trip with several lovely ladies. "Come on out!" he says and you are in. Of course, there's no direct service from Indianapolis to Lake Tahoe so you'll have to connect from one airline to another in California. You book a first class seat on a flight departing IND at 8:00am that will land you in the Golden State at 10:55am with one intermediate stop being made en route. You'll then have one hour and 35 minutes to make your connection and will arrive at TVL on a nonstop flight at 1:33pm which will be plenty of time to hit the ski slopes before sunset in the Sierra Nevada range. Identify both airlines, the respective aircraft types, the intermediate stop following departure from IND and the connecting airport in California. TWA operating an L10 IND-STL-LAX and AirCal operating a ________ LAX-TVL

I was thinking Electra but I think those flights ended iin the 70s. Then I remembered Air Cal running MD80s into TVL. So in the unlikely event that WHBM's excellent call on the 146 is off, I'll offer the MD80.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And on the last day of my "mini-vacation", here are some additional new quiz items....

The 1980's Continued.....

21. It's the fall of 1985 and you are in Tokyo. You need to travel to Seoul for a meeting and have discovered a one stop flight which operates four days a week. You also note this service is flown with a Boeing 727-200 and first class is available. Identify the airline and the intermediate stop. And here's a hint: this air carrier was not based in Japan or South Korea. ANSWERED

22. In the spring of 1986, the following marketing message appeared on this airline's timetable cover:

WE'RE FLYING THE WIDEST PLANE TO THE HIGHEST PLACE.

INTRODUCING THE ONLY 747 SERVICE FROM NEW YORK TO DENVER.

Name the air carrier. ANSWERED

23. It's a beautiful spring day in New Orleans in 1986. Your old sailing buddy from Santa Barbara has requested you check out a catamaran for sale and the boat is located at a marina in Fort Lauderdale. You find a one stop direct flight that fits your schedule departing MSY at 1:55pm and arriving FLL at 6:10pm. What airline and aircraft type will you be flying on and what is the location of the intermediate stop? ANSWERED

24. Now you are in London in 1986. You're planning to head back to Los Angeles. Now you could easily take a nonstop flight. However, you've been made aware of a very nicely priced "premium class" service for $775 one way with this flight making one intermediate stop en route and operating daily. You have also read an ad for this service which promises "Spacious leather seats, two abreast. Service beyond compare. Fine china, crystal and linen. Fresh flowers." The ad goes on to say "....you can sit in the lap of luxury while enjoying an elegant gourmet meal or sipping a fine wine." There's even a bottle of Dom Perignon champagne pictured in the ad. Well, it all sounds great and the price is right so you book a window seat in "premium class". Identify the air carrier and the equipment you'll be traveling on as well as the intermediate stop. ANSWERED

25. It's a cold, crisp and clear day in early 1987 in Ottawa, the capital of Canada. You've been attending a government sponsored symposium which has almost concluded and need to catch a late afternoon flight to San Francisco. Now, of course, there is no nonstop or direct service from YOW to SFO; however, several airlines offer what you hope will be one easy connection from one flight to another with mainline jet equipment being operated on both flights. So you choose a nonstop flight departing Ottawa at 5:45pm that will get you to your connecting airport at 7:30pm. You'll then depart on your second flight at 9:25pm nonstop to San Francisco arriving in the City by The Bay at 12:16am. What airline and aircraft types will you be flying on and where will you make your connection? And here's a hint: both of your flights will be in first class on board narrow body equipment. ANSWERED

26. In late 1989, there was only one airline offering nonstop jet service from Pensacola, Florida to both Orlando and Tampa. The same aircraft type was used on all flights. Name the air carrier and the equipment. ANSWERED

The 1990's......

27. It's the fall of 1991 and you are in Walnut Creek just east of San Francisco. You need to travel to Boston and are not looking forward to driving in Bay Area traffic all the way to SFO to catch a nonstop. Then a friend tells you about an alternative method involving only one airline with what he claims is a very easy connection. "You can fly right out of our local airport which is just up the road. Now it's a small turboprop but it's a short flight to your connecting airport where you'll then connect to a nonstop in first class to Boston." And then he states you will not be connecting via SFO. Your first flight departs at 11:34am and arrives at your connecting airport 12:09pm. Your second flight departs at 1:20pm and arrives in Boston at 9:40pm. Identify the airport you will be departing from, the airline, the connecting airport and the aircraft types. ANSWERED

28. In 1992, Air Canada was operating Boeing 747-133 aircraft configured with two classes of service. What was the name given by AC to each class of service? Also identify the number of seats in each class of service. There were not that many seats in business class but there was a very high number of seats in coach

29. Speaking of Air Canada, it's the spring of 1995 and you are in Toronto. You need to travel to Charlottetown on Prince Edward Island and have a choice of two airlines that can get you there nonstop. One is Air Canada. Identify the other air carrier and the jet equipment it was flying on the YYZ-YYG route at this time. The airline was not Canadian (CP)....it was actually a new start up air carrier

30. In early 1996, this airline was operating nonstop BAe 146 service between Eugene (EUG) and Reno (RNO). This was also the only route flown by this air carrier from Reno. Name the airline. ANSWERED

31. It's late winter of 1996 in Los Angeles and you've just received a call from your old sailing buddy. "So where are you now?" you ask and the answer is "Key West! Come on over! We've got the cat provisioned for a sail to the Turks and Caicos islands and you need to be on board!" Well, what the heck...and here's your chance to try first class on Carnival Air Lines from L.A. to Fort Lauderdale with a connection to Key West. So you book the flight and are then told by the Carnival agent your flight from FLL to EYW will actually be on another airline operating a de Havilland Canada DHC-7 Dash 7 turboprop via a code share. Name the Dash 7 operator. This commuter air carrier was based in Florida and the tail registrations of its aircraft ended in "MG"....which meant something

32. You are back in New York City and it's the spring of 1997. The days of multi-stop milk run flights up and down the east coast between the northeast U.S. and Florida are over (remember that 727 flight operated by National that stopped just about everywhere?). Or are they? To your pleasant surprise, you've found a daily direct flight operated with a mainline jet aircraft type that makes four stops en route from New York JFK to Miami. Identify the airline, the equipment and all four stops in the order in which they were made. This new start up air carrier operated Boeing equipment

The final three quiz items all have a time line of the summer of 1999.....

33. This airline was operating nonstop wide body service once a week between Nassau (NAS) and Havana (HAV). The westbound flight operated every Friday and the eastbound flight operated every Monday. Name the airline and the aircraft type. This airline was not based in the western hemisphere and the equipment was a trijet

34. Only one air carrier was operating Boeing 727 service into Winnipeg (YWG) at this time. Name the airline. The air carrier was not Northwest....and the airline in question was operating its one and only flight from YWG via a code share

35. It's a beautiful Wednesday morning in Carcross, Yukon Territory. You've been visiting with friends for several days now having traveled up to Carcross from Skagway, Alaska via the White Pass & Yukon Route railroad. Now it's time to hit the road once again and begin your journey to Colorado Springs (COS). Your friends have graciously offered to drive you up the Route 2 Klondike Highway to the Whitehorse Airport (YXY) where you'll catch a Convair 580 operated by Era Aviation with a 12:00 noon departure nonstop to Anchorage (ANC). In Anchorage, you'll have plenty of time to enjoy a leisurely dinner with local friends at the Glacier Brewhouse brewpub before catching a red eye departure at 1:37am from ANC direct to COS with three intermediate stops being made en route. You'll arrive in the Springs at 1:07pm.

And then you arrive at the Whitehorse Airport and the fun begins. "I'm sorry, sir, but your Era flight has been cancelled," you're told at the check-in desk. "The aircraft has mechanical issues and is still in Anchorage". Hmmmm, what to do....and then you hear, "However, there is a another flight departing from Whitehorse at 1:05pm this afternoon nonstop to Anchorage and there is a seat available. You would also be flying on a jet aircraft." Book it!

So with all this in mind, please answer the following:

35-A. What airline and aircraft type will you be flying on from Whitehorse to Anchorage? ANSWERED

35-B. Identify the airline, the equipment and all three stops with regard to your flight from Anchorage to Colorado Springs. ANSWERED

Coming up......additional bonus quiz items......

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 13, 2016 at 6:26 pm Reason: answer updates & hints
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
A BAe146-200 ? AirCal had half a dozen new ones delivered in their last year before American took them over. One of these old AirCal ones still appears periodically here at London City, German charter operator WDL now has it, and British AW rent it in when one of their Embraers goes pfffft.
An excellent guess, sir! However, to the best of my knowledge, AirCal never operated the BAe 146-200 into Lake Tahoe (TVL). The jet aircraft in question only had two engines.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 5, 2016 at 12:49 pm
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

In 1974, I'll go with a DC-8-61 via ORD.

18. Your meeting in Indianapolis has been successful so now it's time to have some fun. Your old sailing buddy from Santa Barbara has called but he's not on his sailboat: he's in Lake Tahoe on a ski trip with several lovely ladies. "Come on out!" he says and you are in. Of course, there's no direct service from Indianapolis to Lake Tahoe so you'll have to connect from one airline to another in California. You book a first class seat on a flight departing IND at 8:00am that will land you in the Golden State at 10:55am with one intermediate stop being made en route. You'll then have one hour and 35 minutes to make your connection and will arrive at TVL on a nonstop flight at 1:33pm which will be plenty of time to hit the ski slopes before sunset in the Sierra Nevada range. Identify both airlines, the respective aircraft types, the intermediate stop following departure from IND and the connecting airport in California. TWA operating an L10 IND-STL-LAX and AirCal operating a ________ LAX-TVL

I was thinking Electra but I think those flights ended iin the 70s. Then I remembered Air Cal running MD80s into TVL. So in the unlikely event that WHBM's excellent call on the 146 is off, I'll offer the MD80.
8. Nope, the aircraft in question was not a Super DC-8-61. Please guess again!

18. AirCal operating an MD-80 into Lake Tahoe is correct! Following the jet ban being rescinded at TVL, AirCal was the first to reintroduce jet service. The airline then replaced their MD-80 flights into Lake Tahoe with B737-300 service which was continued by American for a time following the acquisition of OC by AA. BTW, as you have noted, the Electras were long gone by this time.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
27. It's the fall of 1991 and you are in Walnut Creek just east of San Francisco. You need to travel to Boston and are not looking forward to driving in Bay Area traffic all the way to SFO to catch a nonstop. Then a friend tells you about an alternative method involving only one airline with what he claims is a very easy connection. "You can fly right out of our local airport which is just up the road. Now it's a small turboprop but it's a short flight to your connecting airport where you'll then connect to a nonstop in first class to Boston." And then he states you will not be connecting via SFO. Your first flight departs at 11:34am and arrives at your connecting airport 12:09pm. Your second flight departs at 1:20pm and arrives in Boston at 9:40pm. Identify the airport you will be departing from, the airline, the connecting airport and the aircraft types.
this was still in the era of the AA hub at San Jose (SJC) ... Walnut Creek was certainly served through Concord (CCD) (although I didn't know until just now that there was any scheduled service there)

as for equipment, how about a Jetstream 31 and an MD-11

30. In early 1996, this airline was operating nonstop BAe 146 service between Eugene (EUG) and Reno (RNO). This was also the only route flown by this air carrier from Reno. Name the airline.
TriStar
Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:26 pm

24. Now you are in London in 1986. You're planning to head back to Los Angeles. Now you could easily take a nonstop flight. However, you've been made aware of a very nicely priced "premium class" service for $775 one way with this flight making one intermediate stop en route and operating daily. You have also read an ad for this service which promises "Spacious leather seats, two abreast. Service beyond compare. Fine china, crystal and linen. Fresh flowers." The ad goes on to say "....you can sit in the lap of luxury while enjoying an elegant gourmet meal or sipping a fine wine." There's even a bottle of Dom Perignon champagne pictured in the ad. Well, it all sounds great and the price is right so you book a window seat in "premium class". Identify the air carrier and the equipment you'll be traveling on as well as the intermediate stop.
Doesn't sound like a mainstream carrier for those items at that price, and there weren't many upstarts who could do a daily one-stop though to LA. But there may have been one. What about People Express from London Gatwick ? With an old 747-200 they picked up from Alitalia or Qantas. Intermediate stop would be Newark.

I think it was one of their flights, in the first week or so, that had a number of snags on arrival, Gatwick Handling (or whoever), doing their turnround, supplied plenty of labour and spares, came to about USD 20,000, well beyond their agreed credit. So no departure until the money was wired through. Which PE seemed to have no procedure for. An early lesson in the logistics of international flights.

Last edited by WHBM; Jul 5, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.