Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
Painted green ?
The tail, yes.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
I do remember PanAm having A300 service from JFK to POS, which continued on to CCS, but am not sure if it existed in 1985. Let's give it a try.

If that's incorrect I'll go back to Viasa, which had some DC-10s that could have been used in CCS-POS service, although I can't imagine the load factor being very attractive.

Happy July 4th to all members of this forum! In trying to answer jlemon's question I recalled an "almost" July 4th flight, 7/5/94 MSY-IAH-MIA-POS, and then to test those of you who know arcane airport codes, I remember another one 7/5/69 MUX-LYP on a Fokker F27. Anyone know those without looking them up?
20. Pan Am is correct! This flight actually originated in Trinidad. Here's the sched....

PA 218: Port of Spain (POS) 8:00a - 9:10a Caracas (CCS) 10:00a - 1:35p New York (JFK)
Op: Daily except Sundays
Equip: A300
Meal service: Continental Breakfast POS-CCS, Lunch CCS-JFK

And as for Fourth of July flights, I do recall flying on the fourth many years ago Burbank-Salt Lake City-Sun Valley on Delta Connection operated by SkyWest. I was on board a brand new Canadair CRJ from BUR to SLC and an Embraer EMB-120 Brasilia from SLC to SUN.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
only one: 1985, LAX-SEA on a PSA MD-80

the evening of 3 Jul 1979 I saw a lot of fireworks along California's San Joaquin Valley from FL370 aboard a UA 72S heading from SEA to LAX
Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

The 1960's.....

3. Now it's the summer of 1965 and you are in Seattle. You need to travel to Prince Rupert, B.C. for a lunch meeting; however, you already know there is no nonstop or direct service from SEA to YPR. So you'll have to fly on two different airlines and most likely connect in Vancouver. But how to get from Seattle to Prince Rupert in the most expedient manner? You discover there is a flight from SEA departing at 5:30am to YVR that will enable a quick (and legal) connection to your second flight from YVR to YPR which will make one intermediate stop en route before arriving in Prince Rupert at 10:40am. You also note you'll be served a snack between SEA and YPR as well as breakfast between YVR and YPR. So with all this in mind, identify both of the air carriers, the respective aircraft types and the intermediate stop between Vancouver and Prince Rupert. ANSWERED - UA with a B720 SEA-YVR and CP with a DC-6B YVR-YZP-YPR.

4. It's a beautiful afternoon in the summer of 1968 in Monterey, California. You are comfortably seated on board your buddy's catamaran moored in the local marina enjoying a glass of fine wine as he has just arrived following a sail trip from Santa Barbara. And then he says: "Hey, I've got a wild idea! Let's fly to Las Vegas tonight and have some fun! I mean, you're Mr. Airline Guy, right? Can you make this happen?" Of course you can....and you just happen to know there is a direct evening flight from MRY to LAS which makes one stop en route departing at 8:15pm and arriving at 10:06pm. You call the airline and reservations are confirmed. So which airline and aircraft type will you and your buddy be flying on and where will you be making that one stop en route from Monterey to Vegas?

The 1970's.....

6. In the summer of 1972, this airline was operating direct service from Los Angeles to Little Rock. Three stops were made en route with the flight departing LAX at 2:00pm and arriving LIT at 9:18pm. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and all three intermediate stops in the order in which they were made. Mostly answered. Texas International operating a DC-9 LAX-ABQ-DAL-______-LIT. Still looking for one of the stops.

8. It's the spring of 1974 and you are in Hartford where you've just completed a project. Now it's time to have some fun....so head west, young man, in first class! You won quite a bit of money playing poker last time you were in Las Vegas so you decide to try your luck again. There are no nonstop flights at this time from BDL to LAS. However, a one stop service catches your eye and you book a seat in the front cabin. You'll depart at 8:00am and arrive at 12 noon with breakfast and lunch being served en route. Name the airline, the equipment and the en route stop. United operating a ________ via a stop at ORD

10. In the summer of 1979 this air carrier was operating a morning flight six days a week from Montreal to Winnipeg with four stops being made en route. The flight departed YUL at 7:05am and arrived in YWG at 12:20pm. Name the airline, the equipment and all four intermediate stops in order. Mostly answered. Nordair operating a Boeing 737-200 YUL-_____-YAM-YQT-YHD-YWG. Still looking for one more stop.

12. In the fall of 1979, two airlines were operating nonstop service from Las Vegas to Sacramento, each with one daily flight. Name both air carriers and the respective aircraft types they operated on the LAS-SMF route.

The 1980's.....

13. If you wanted to fly on board a Convair 580, de Havilland Canada DHC-7 Dash 7 or Fokker F27 nonstop from Bakersfield (BFL) to Los Angeles (LAX) in the spring of 1981, what airlines would you call?
Still looking for answers to the above....and, hmmmmmm.....it appears some rather large fireworks have showed up here at the house. I'm sure they will be put to good use later this evening after the big BBQ out in the country.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 4, 2016 at 2:38 pm
Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
3. Now it's the summer of 1965 and you are in Seattle. You need to travel to Prince Rupert, B.C. for a lunch meeting; however, you already know there is no nonstop or direct service from SEA to YPR. So you'll have to fly on two different airlines and most likely connect in Vancouver. But how to get from Seattle to Prince Rupert in the most expedient manner? You discover there is a flight from SEA departing at 5:30am to YVR that will enable a quick (and legal) connection to your second flight from YVR to YPR which will make one intermediate stop en route before arriving in Prince Rupert at 10:40am. You also note you'll be served a snack between SEA and YPR as well as breakfast between YVR and YPR. So with all this in mind, identify both of the air carriers, the respective aircraft types and the intermediate stop between Vancouver and Prince Rupert.
Mostly answered - UA with a B720 SEA-YVR and CP with a DC-6B YVR-_______-YPR. Still looking for the intermediate stop.

Let's go with Smithers, BC

8. It's the spring of 1974 and you are in Hartford where you've just completed a project. Now it's time to have some fun....so head west, young man, in first class! You won quite a bit of money playing poker last time you were in Las Vegas so you decide to try your luck again. There are no nonstop flights at this time from BDL to LAS. However, a one stop service catches your eye and you book a seat in the front cabin. You'll depart at 8:00am and arrive at 12 noon with breakfast and lunch being served en route. Name the airline, the equipment and the en route stop.

Alright then, I'll go with my original thought... United DC-8 via Chicago

After an exhaustive search I finally located the following flights, flown on July 4th, 2002:

FAI ANC ALASKA 737-790 N627AS 260
ANC SEA ALASKA 737-990 N306AS 1450
SEA DTW NORTHWEST 757-251 N537US 1920

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 4, 2016 at 10:02 am
Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jrl767
the evening of 3 Jul 1979 I saw a lot of fireworks along California's San Joaquin Valley from FL370 aboard a UA 72S heading from SEA to LAX
Ah, that was the year I was living in LA. We went to Santa Monica pier that evening. I may have passed you on the 405 on your way home.

Last edited by WHBM; Jul 4, 2016 at 9:50 am
Old Jul 4, 2016, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
3. Now it's the summer of 1965 and you are in Seattle. You need to travel to Prince Rupert, B.C. for a lunch meeting; however, you already know there is no nonstop or direct service from SEA to YPR. So you'll have to fly on two different airlines and most likely connect in Vancouver. But how to get from Seattle to Prince Rupert in the most expedient manner? You discover there is a flight from SEA departing at 5:30am to YVR that will enable a quick (and legal) connection to your second flight from YVR to YPR which will make one intermediate stop en route before arriving in Prince Rupert at 10:40am. You also note you'll be served a snack between SEA and YPR as well as breakfast between YVR and YPR. So with all this in mind, identify both of the air carriers, the respective aircraft types and the intermediate stop between Vancouver and Prince Rupert.
Mostly answered - UA with a B720 SEA-YVR and CP with a DC-6B YVR-_______-YPR. Still looking for the intermediate stop.

8. It's the spring of 1974 and you are in Hartford where you've just completed a project. Now it's time to have some fun....so head west, young man, in first class! You won quite a bit of money playing poker last time you were in Las Vegas so you decide to try your luck again. There are no nonstop flights at this time from BDL to LAS. However, a one stop service catches your eye and you book a seat in the front cabin. You'll depart at 8:00am and arrive at 12 noon with breakfast and lunch being served en route. Name the airline, the equipment and the en route stop.

Alright then, I'll go with my original thought... United DC-8 via Chicago
3. No, the stop was not made in Smithers (YYD).

8. United via ORD is correct. However, the equipment was not a DC-8.

Please guess again!
Old Jul 4, 2016, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, that was the year I was living in LA. We went to Santa Monica pier that evening. I may have passed you on the 405 on your way home.
Ah, 1979.....that was the year I moved from Austin to L.A. And then moved again to the San Luis Obispo area on the central coast.

Plus, some interesting air traffic just passed to the south my location: a Boeing 747-400 operated by Atlas Air flying nonstop from Houston (IAH) to Luanda, Angola (LAD). Atlas operates this flight on behalf of SonAir as an oil & gas personnel shuttle service.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 4, 2016 at 10:38 am Reason: air traffic
Old Jul 4, 2016, 10:34 am

Looks like we should have had an OTAQD get-together in LA 37 years ago.

3. No, the stop was not made in Smithers (YYD).
Let's go with Sandspit. I've no idea where it is but do recall it in PWA timetables long ago.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
3. Now it's the summer of 1965 and you are in Seattle. You need to travel to Prince Rupert, B.C. for a lunch meeting; however, you already know there is no nonstop or direct service from SEA to YPR. So you'll have to fly on two different airlines and most likely connect in Vancouver. But how to get from Seattle to Prince Rupert in the most expedient manner? You discover there is a flight from SEA departing at 5:30am to YVR that will enable a quick (and legal) connection to your second flight from YVR to YPR which will make one intermediate stop en route before arriving in Prince Rupert at 10:40am. You also note you'll be served a snack between SEA and YPR as well as breakfast between YVR and YPR. So with all this in mind, identify both of the air carriers, the respective aircraft types and the intermediate stop between Vancouver and Prince Rupert. Mostly answered - UA with a B720 SEA-YVR and CP with a DC-6B YVR-_______-YPR. Still looking for the intermediate stop.
YXT?
Old Jul 4, 2016, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like we should have had an OTAQD get-together in LA 37 years ago.

Let's go with Sandspit. I've no idea where it is but do recall it in PWA timetables long ago.
Yep, I still had most of my OAGs back then.....

And Sandspit (which is located in the Queen Charlotte Islands southwest of Prince Rupert - I've flown over it a couple of times en route between Alaska and SEA/SFO/LAX) is correct! Here' s the sched.....

CP 5: Vancouver (YVR) 07:30 - 09:40 Sandspit (YZP) 10:00 - 10:40 Prince Rupert (YPR)
Op: Daily except Sundays
Equip: DC-6B
Meal service: Breakfast YVR-YZP

Canadian Pacific indeed eventually turned over the Sandspit service to Pacific Western which in 1976 was operating nonstop B737-200 YVR-YZP service six days a week.

By 1994, CP, via its Canadian Regional Airlines partner, was back serving Sandspit with daily nonstop YVR-YZP service operated with a Fokker F28 Fellowship. And if one wanted to travel from Sandspit to Prince Rupert at this time, you flew on board a Harbour Air (H3) Grumman Mallard amphibian.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
YXT?
Nope, YZP. Please see above.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 11:29 am

And Sandspit (which is located in the Queen Charlotte Islands southwest of Prince Rupert - I've flown over it a couple of times en route between Alaska and SEA/SFO/LAX) is correct.
This is the map from the PWA timetable of September 1969, showing it.

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...w69/pw69-2.jpg

Somewhere in a box up in an attic in London, 5,000 miles away from the scene, behind the clothing not worn for years, and the "useful" cardboard boxes that never found a use again, there's another copy of this September 1969 edition.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
This is the map from the PWA timetable of September 1969, showing it.
What a/c did PW use to get to some of these places? YPW (Powell River) seems to be a really short runway and doesn't see anything more than 20-odd seaters these days. Hard to imagine even a F-27 landing these days (though possible, I guess). YZT (Port Hardy) and YBL (Campbell River) maybe. I see PW got the YQQ (Comox) in the wrong place. I thought at first it was YPB (Port Alberni) until I zoomed in. Strangely YQQ's runway could probably accommodate the largest planes of that era and even latter ones.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
What a/c did PW use to get to some of these places? YPW (Powell River) seems to be a really short runway and doesn't see anything more than 20-odd seaters these days. Hard to imagine even a F-27 landing these days (though possible, I guess). YZT (Port Hardy) and YBL (Campbell River) maybe. I see PW got the YQQ (Comox) in the wrong place. I thought at first it was YPB (Port Alberni) until I zoomed in. Strangely YQQ's runway could probably accommodate the largest planes of that era and even latter ones.
Time to drag out my old, battered 1976 OAG....

Pacific Western was operating two flights a day between Powell River and Vancouver at this time with Convair 640 turboprop equipment. One of these flights continued on to Comox. At this same time, PW was operating Boeing 737-200 service into Campbell River and Port Hardy with two round trip flights a day on a YVR-YBL-YZT routing

And I just remembered something concerning Prince Rupert: the airport (YPR) is actually located on Digby Island west of the city. These days, one takes a marine ferry to get to and from the airport. But back in 1976, one could fly between YPR and the Seal Cove seaplane base in Prince Rupert. Trans Provincial Airlines Ltd. (CD) was operating this scheduled service at the time with Grumman Goose amphibians. Block time for the flight was ten minutes.

So much for our dry weather forecast here....lightning and thunder at the present time and we'll see if we get a bit wet. Time to check on our new kitten who is currently on maneuvers somewhere in the back yard....

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 4, 2016 at 12:34 pm Reason: additional PW info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.