Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Jun 26, 16, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
Ah, PPT is an excellent guess.....however, it is incorrect as well....

So here's a hint: the remaining destination in question was located in the U.S.
ITO - Hilo, HI
Old Jun 26, 16, 11:43 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, minuscule UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
hmmmmmm ... a U.S. destination that historically didn't have much CO service, but saw a D10 from HNL for awhile ... I can think of three possibilities
  1. ANC
  2. PDX
  3. SJC
Unfortunately, ANC, PDX and SJC are all incorrect.

Please guess again!
Old Jun 26, 16, 11:49 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, minuscule UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
As a former resident of both 2 and 3, I'm inclined to strike them based on the fact that Delta ran PDX and AA ran SJC at the time. CO would have been killed in either market.

I am not able to dispute 1, though.
You're right. And the remaining destination we are looking for is not ANC, PDX or SJC.
Old Jun 26, 16, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto View Post
ITO - Hilo, HI
Yet another great guess! And I thought about Hilo myself as Continental did indeed serve ITO at one point back in the day.

However, CO was not serving ITO at this time so your response is incorrect.

Here's another hint: the U.S. destination we are looking for was only served three days a week nonstop from HNL by CO with the DC-10.
Old Jun 26, 16, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
...hint: the U.S. destination we are looking for was only served three days a week nonstop from HNL by CO with the DC-10.
reaching waaaaay out here ... SAN and LAS are about the only remaining mainland possibilities (though HNL tag-ons could have been OGG or KOA)
Old Jun 26, 16, 4:20 pm

reaching waaaaay out here ... SAN and LAS are about the only remaining mainland possibilities (though HNL tag-ons could have been OGG or KOA)
Ah, LAS and SAN as well as OGG and KOA are all incorrect.

This destination is located on the U.S. mainland. And just to clarify, the CO destination is not in Alaska - it's in the lower 48 states.

Plus, another hint: the domestic part of this nonstop route between HNL and the airport in question was part of an international service flown with the DC-10 linking the U.S. and Australia.
Old Jun 26, 16, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Ah, LAS and SAN as well as OGG and KOA are all incorrect.

This destination is located on the U.S. mainland. And just to clarify, the CO destination is not in Alaska - it's in the lower 48 states.

Plus, another hint: the domestic part of this nonstop route between HNL and the airport in question was part of an international service flown with the DC-10 linking the U.S. and Australia.
EWR then. Doubt if it would ever be CLE. Think we've listed all the CO hubs?
Old Jun 26, 16, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
EWR really doesn't qualify as "a U.S. destination that historically didn't have much CO service" unless we're specifically looking at pre-1987 ... ORD and PHX were on the CO route map since the 50s, so LAS and OAK are about the only others that come to mind
Old Jun 26, 16, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
EWR really doesn't qualify as "a U.S. destination that historically didn't have much CO service"
Forgot this hint. My bad. SHould have remembered why the eastern CO hubs weren't already mentioned.

Given the other hint that it was part of the int'l service, and the above: JFK.
Old Jun 26, 16, 8:26 pm

Well, I was waiting for someone to mention Newark......However, EWR is incorrect as is CLE.

And the destination served by this DC-10 flight was not a Continental hub airport.
Old Jun 26, 16, 8:27 pm

EWR really doesn't qualify as "a U.S. destination that historically didn't have much CO service" unless we're specifically looking at pre-1987 ... ORD and PHX were on the CO route map since the 50s, so LAS and OAK are about the only others that come to mind
Nope, it was not LAS (which was already guessed) and OAK is incorrect as well......

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 26, 16 at 8:33 pm
Old Jun 26, 16, 8:56 pm

Forgot this hint. My bad. SHould have remembered why the eastern CO hubs weren't already mentioned.

Given the other hint that it was part of the int'l service, and the above: JFK.
JFK is.......correct! Here are the scheds.....

CO 15: JFK 5:30p - 10:55p HNL 12:05a - 7:00a SYD 8:30a - 9:50a MEL
Op: Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays only (SYD-MEL Wednesdays and Sundays only)
Equip: DC-10-30

CO 16: MEL 2:45p - 4:05p SYD 5:30p - 6:05a HNL 8:20a - 10:35p JFK
Op: Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays only (MEL-SYD Wednesdays and Sundays only)
Equip: DC-10-30

Continental was only operating two other departures a day from New York JFK at this time with both services being flown on a daily basis: JFK-MEX operated with a B737-300 and JFK-IAD-TYS flown with a DC-9-30.

So let's get back to HNL with one more bonus quiz item concerning Continental....

At this same time, CO was operating one departure a day from Honolulu with a Boeing 747 (presumably a former People Express aircraft). This flight served three different destinations on a direct, no change of plane basis. Identify the first, second and final destination in the order in which these stops were made. And with the above info in mind, we already know one of the stops was not JFK.
Old Jun 26, 16, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(1987) ... CO was operating one departure a day from Honolulu with a Boeing 747 (presumably a former People Express aircraft). This flight served three different destinations on a direct, no change of plane basis. Identify the first, second and final destination in the order in which these stops were made. And with the above info in mind, we already know one of the stops was not JFK.
I''m probably way off base with the obvious stops, but I can't really visualize a CO 747 elsewhere ... I'll guess this route was most likely HNL-LAX-IAH-EWR (second guess DEN rather than IAH)
Old Jun 26, 16, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jfk is.......correct! here are the scheds.....

Co 15: Jfk 5:30p - 10:55p hnl 12:05a - 7:00a syd 8:30a - 9:50a mel
op: Mondays, thursdays and fridays only (syd-mel wednesdays and sundays only)
equip: Dc-10-30

co 16: Mel 2:45p - 4:05p syd 5:30p - 6:05a hnl 8:20a - 10:35p jfk
op: Wednesdays, thursdays and sundays only (mel-syd wednesdays and sundays only)
equip: Dc-10-30

continental was only operating two other departures a day from new york jfk at this time with both services being flown on a daily basis: Jfk-mex operated with a b737-300 and jfk-iad-tys flown with a dc-9-30.

So let's get back to hnl with one more bonus quiz item concerning continental....

At this same time, co was operating one departure a day from honolulu with a boeing 747 (presumably a former people express aircraft). This flight served three different destinations on a direct, no change of plane basis. Identify the first, second and final destination in the order in which these stops were made. And with the above info in mind, we already know one of the stops was not jfk.
iah-lax-hnl-syd
Old Jun 27, 16, 8:18 am

I''m probably way off base with the obvious stops, but I can't really visualize a CO 747 elsewhere ... I'll guess this route was most likely HNL-LAX-IAH-EWR (second guess DEN rather than IAH)
LAX was the first stop. However, IAH was not the second stop nor was DEN.

Please guess again!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: