Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old May 1, 12, 6:53 pm
  #931  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Posts: 8,140
Looks like we have not had any quiz questions in awhile....

So.....

Let us return to the quiz!

1) What airline introduced Boeing 767 service into Regina, Saskatchewan (YQR)?

2) What Caribbean-based airline operated the Airbus A300?

3) What airline operated the BAe 146 in the Caribbean?

4) Did Anguilla (AXA) in the Caribbean ever have jet service?

5) Name three airlines that competed with nonstop jet service between Louisville (SDF) and the New York City area back in the mid 70's.

6) What airline flew nonstop between Columbus, Georgia (CSG) and the Washington, D.C. area?

7) If you were flying into Aniak, Alaska (ANI) in the mid 70's and wanted to travel by jet, what airline would you have flown on and on what type of aircraft?

8) What airline introduced the first jet service from Oakland (OAK) and what was the aircraft type?

9) What airline flew nonstop between Oakland (OAK) and Papeete, Tahiti (PPT) and what type of aircraft was operated on the route?

10) How many cities in Louisiana had jet service in the mid 70's? Also, for extra bonus points (plus a complimentary cold beer should you ever visit LFT), name the cities and the airlines that served them along with the jet aircraft types used.

Last edited by jlemon; May 3, 12 at 1:17 pm Reason: Airport code correction (CSG)
jlemon is offline  
Old May 1, 12, 7:30 pm
  #932  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Salish Sea
Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Posts: 8,977
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
Looks like we have not had any quiz questions in awhile....

So.....

Let us return to the quiz!

1) What airline introduced Boeing 767 service into Regina, Saskatchewan (YQR)?
Pacific Western

2) What Caribbean-based airline operated the Airbus A300?
Air Jamaica
Wally Bird is offline  
Old May 1, 12, 7:52 pm
  #933  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Posts: 8,140
Correct on both counts, Wally Bird!

I think a typical routing for the Pacific Western B767-200 service was Vancouver-Calgary-Regina-Winnipeg-Toronto but am not completely sure about this.....so perhaps someone with an OAG from 1983 can confirm.

I do know the 767 was a rather big step for PW back then as the carrier was primarily a B737-200 operator at the time and had also operated B727s with B707 aircraft flown strictly for charters including 707 freighter service.
jlemon is offline  
Old May 2, 12, 9:42 am
  #934  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Orleans
Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Posts: 595
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
Looks like we have not had any quiz questions in awhile....

So.....

Let us return to the quiz!

6) What airline flew nonstop between Columbus, Georgia (CMH) and the Washington, D.C. area?

7) If you were flying into Aniak, Alaska (ANI) in the mid 70's and wanted to travel by jet, what airline would you have flown on and on what type of aircraft?

10) How many cities in Louisiana had jet service in the mid 70's? Also, for extra bonus points (plus a complimentary cold beer should you ever visit LFT), name the cities and the airlines that served them along with the jet aircraft types used.
6) CMH-IAD on Southern -- DC9

7) ANI-ANC on Wien Air Alaska (WC) -- 737

10) Now we're getting close to home -- only 6 Louisiana airports with scheduled passenger jet service in the mid-70s. In alphabetical order:
Alexandria (ESF) -- DL: DC9
Baton Rouge (BTR) -- DL, SO, TT: all DC9
Lafayette (LFT) -- TT: DC9
Monroe (MLU) -- SO: DC9
New Orleans (MSY) -- BN, CO, EA: all 727; SO and TT: DC9; DL: DC9 and 727; NA: DC8, DC9, DC10, 727
Shreveport (SHV) -- BN and DL: both DC9.

I flew into all of the above LA airports in those days, but often on TTs non-jet milk runs on Convairs.

The above are all domestic jet services. In addition, I believe DL and EA had DC8 service MSY-MEX; Taca had BAC-111s MSY to Central America; PanAm flew 727s MSY to Central America; and Viasa flew DC9s MSY to Venezuela. In fact, my first international flight was on 8/9/64 on Viasa, MSY-MAR (Maracaibo). I was living in Houston at that time, but we had to go through New Orleans to get visas.
miniliq is offline  
Old May 2, 12, 11:23 am
  #935  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Orleans
Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Posts: 595
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
Looks like we have not had any quiz questions in awhile....

So.....

Let us return to the quiz!

3) What airline operated the BAe 146 in the Caribbean?
Tough one -- Carib Express, began operating out of Barbados in Feb 1995, but only lasted about 15 months -- service to St. Vincent, St. Lucia, Grenada, Guyana, Trinidad, and perhaps Venezuela.
miniliq is offline  
Old May 2, 12, 3:24 pm
  #936  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Dorset, Vermont, USA
Programs: All of them!
Posts: 380
5) Service between Louisvillle (SDF) and NYC........
American, Eastern, and I think TWA into JFK (one stop)
cs57 is offline  
Old May 2, 12, 3:40 pm
  #937  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CLE
Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Posts: 3,630
CMH is Columbus, Ohio CSG is Columbus, Georgia
buckeyefanflyer is online now  
Old May 2, 12, 3:48 pm
  #938  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Posts: 8,140
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer View Post
CMH is Columbus, Ohio CSG is Columbus, Georgia
Whoops! My mistake and an excellent catch.....^

I was referring to Columbus, Georgia (CSG)......
jlemon is offline  
Old May 2, 12, 7:40 pm
  #939  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Posts: 8,140
Originally Posted by miniliq View Post
6) CMH-IAD on Southern -- DC9

7) ANI-ANC on Wien Air Alaska (WC) -- 737

10) Now we're getting close to home -- only 6 Louisiana airports with scheduled passenger jet service in the mid-70s. In alphabetical order:
Alexandria (ESF) -- DL: DC9
Baton Rouge (BTR) -- DL, SO, TT: all DC9
Lafayette (LFT) -- TT: DC9
Monroe (MLU) -- SO: DC9
New Orleans (MSY) -- BN, CO, EA: all 727; SO and TT: DC9; DL: DC9 and 727; NA: DC8, DC9, DC10, 727
Shreveport (SHV) -- BN and DL: both DC9.

I flew into all of the above LA airports in those days, but often on TTs non-jet milk runs on Convairs.

The above are all domestic jet services. In addition, I believe DL and EA had DC8 service MSY-MEX; Taca had BAC-111s MSY to Central America; PanAm flew 727s MSY to Central America; and Viasa flew DC9s MSY to Venezuela. In fact, my first international flight was on 8/9/64 on Viasa, MSY-MAR (Maracaibo). I was living in Houston at that time, but we had to go through New Orleans to get visas.
Overall excellent responses from miniliq!

Several additional comments from yours truly....

6) As noted above, I meant CSG instead of CMH (my mistake, of course)....and Southern tried something different, marketing-wise, with these services flown twice a day with DC-9 series 10 aircraft in all coach ("S" class) configuration. First, let's take a look at the actual routings:

SO 713: LGA-IAD-CSG-DHN-VPS-TLH-MCO-MIA

SO 716: MIA-MCO-TLH-VPS-DHN-CSG-IAD-LGA

SO 717: LGA-IAD-CSG-MOB-GPT-MSY

And the fourth flight was really interesting....

SO 321: STL-MEM-MSY-GPT-MOB-CSG-IAD-LGA

Several of these destinations served major military bases: CSG - Ft. Benning, DHN - Ft. Rucker, and VPS - Eglin Air Force Base. SO actually ran ads in their timetables at this time featuring a smiling military General seated in the DC-9 with the ad copy promoting Southern's jet service to the destinations near these bases!

7) Correct! Wien Air Alaska with B737-200 equipment. The route was flown twice a week.

Question 10) will require some detailed comments from your truly, which I shall provide in the very near future (in other words, it's dinner time).....
jlemon is offline  
Old May 3, 12, 6:36 am
  #940  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Orleans
Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Posts: 595
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
Looks like we have not had any quiz questions in awhile....

So.....

Let us return to the quiz!

4) Did Anguilla (AXA) in the Caribbean ever have jet service?
After a bit of digging, I'll take a crack at this one. American Eagle planned to introduce regional jets in place of their ATR72s to serve AXA from SJU, but discontinued service to AXA in 2010. American has decided to discontinue all American Eagle (and its subsidiary Executive Airlines) service in SJU in 2013, so those plans are obsolete.

The change was also going to coincide with runway lengthening at AXA, which until 1995 was only 3600 feet (not meters, as listed in some websites). It was lengthened to 5400 feet, and accommodates private jets, but all scheduled passenger service (e.g. LIAT, Cape Air, Rainbow) is with non-jet equipment. Another runway lengthening project is under consideration by the Government, but local opposition may prevent that. There's 747 service to neighboring St. Maarten (SXM) by all of the majors, from the US, Canada and Europe, and the Anguillans seem satisfied to keep it that way.

So unless American Eagle experimented with regional jet service in the late 90's, my guess to the answer is no.
miniliq is offline  
Old May 3, 12, 8:03 am
  #941  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Posts: 8,140
Originally Posted by miniliq View Post
After a bit of digging, I'll take a crack at this one. American Eagle planned to introduce regional jets in place of their ATR72s to serve AXA from SJU, but discontinued service to AXA in 2010. American has decided to discontinue all American Eagle (and its subsidiary Executive Airlines) service in SJU in 2013, so those plans are obsolete.

The change was also going to coincide with runway lengthening at AXA, which until 1995 was only 3600 feet (not meters, as listed in some websites). It was lengthened to 5400 feet, and accommodates private jets, but all scheduled passenger service (e.g. LIAT, Cape Air, Rainbow) is with non-jet equipment. Another runway lengthening project is under consideration by the Government, but local opposition may prevent that. There's 747 service to neighboring St. Maarten (SXM) by all of the majors, from the US, Canada and Europe, and the Anguillans seem satisfied to keep it that way.

So unless American Eagle experimented with regional jet service in the late 90's, my guess to the answer is no.
Correct! I believe the largest aircraft type to serve AXA was the ATR-72 turboprop operated by AA Eagle - that is, until the service was discontinued from SJU. Our first visit to Anguilla was via this former Eagle service - and upon arrival, we did notice a Gulfstream business jet on the ramp. Currently, I think the largest aircraft serving AXA is the Dash 8-300 t-prop operated by LIAT. And BTW, Winair formerly operated DHC-6 "Twin Otter" aircraft on the short hop between AXA and SXM; however, it appears this service has been discontinued as well....

Last edited by jlemon; May 3, 12 at 11:51 am Reason: Spelling
jlemon is offline  
Old May 3, 12, 11:39 am
  #942  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Posts: 8,140
Originally Posted by miniliq View Post
Tough one -- Carib Express, began operating out of Barbados in Feb 1995, but only lasted about 15 months -- service to St. Vincent, St. Lucia, Grenada, Guyana, Trinidad, and perhaps Venezuela.
Correct! Carib Express basically tried to do with the BAe 146 what LIAT had done some years before with the BAC One-Eleven series 500: operate jet equipment on interisland routes....which quickly proved to be uneconomical.

And there was also at least one other BAe 146 operator in the Caribbean: British Caribbean Airways, which operated a BAe 146-100. I do know there was an airline that operated the BAe 146 between Tortola (EIS) and Miami (MIA) and I think this carrier was British Caribbean. If anyone has access to an OAG from the summer of 1986, please try to verify this. BTW, British Caribbean did not last long, either.....
jlemon is offline  
Old May 3, 12, 2:22 pm
  #943  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: moooooo....
Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
Posts: 462
Originally Posted by cs57 View Post
5) Service between Louisvillle (SDF) and NYC........
American, Eastern, and I think TWA into JFK (one stop)
By the mid-1990's, it was down to just US Airways.

The TWA flight was a flight from JFK-Indianapolis-Louisville.
Cattle Airlines is offline  
Old May 3, 12, 3:34 pm
  #944  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 355
I frequently travel by US Air and never have any problems that other airlines do not have. Service is good and prices are average.
printingray is offline  
Old May 3, 12, 5:09 pm
  #945  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Posts: 8,140
Originally Posted by cs57 View Post
5) Service between Louisvillle (SDF) and NYC........
American, Eastern, and I think TWA into JFK (one stop)
Great answer from cs57!

All three airlines flew nonstop between the New York City area and Louisville (SDF). AA and TW served LGA nonstop while EA served EWR nonstop.

Here are the 1976 winter schedules from the OAG with the aircraft and actual eastbound routings.....

AA 298: B727-100 - SDF-LGA

AA 250: B727-100 - LAX-MEM-SDF-LGA

EA 606: DC-9-30 - MOB-ATL-EVV-SDF-EWR-BOS

TW 396: B727-100 - MCI-SDF-LGA

And the westbound routings....

AA 247: B727-100 - LGA-SDF-MEM

AA 299: B727-100 - LGA-SDF

EA 505: B727-100 - BOS-EWR-SDF-EVV

TW 393: B727-100 - LGA-SDF

AA also operated onestop and twostop B727-100 service between SDF and LGA in addition to the nonstops while TW operated a daily round trip onestop as well with a B727-100 between SDF and LGA. And AL operated a daily round trip onestop with a DC-9-30 between SDF and JFK.

Last edited by jlemon; May 3, 12 at 5:18 pm Reason: Additional info
jlemon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: