Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
37. Lots of airlines provide service between the three Washington DC area airports and Chicago. However, only one airline provides nonstop service between Washington’s Dulles International and Chicago’s Midway Airport. Your mission – should you decide to accept it – is to identify both the airline and the aircraft utilized on this route.

Well, I guess I'll have to accept this mission as it appears no one else will...... And speaking of guesses, let's go with AirTran operating a DC-9-30 nonstop on the IAD-MDW route.

If correct, this may have been one of AirTran's very few routes that did not touch their ATL or MCO hubs at the time.

You are correct, Sir! Air Tran operated one daily and two almost daily flights per day between IAD and MDW. All flights were operated with DC-9-30 equipment. These flights were originally operated by ValuJet (J7).
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
6. In mid-1992, passengers desiring nonstop transport between Anchorage and Honolulu were limited to this once a week, Saturday only flight. Identify the airline and aircraft involved.
Who the heck izzit? We know it ain't Hawaiian Air or Northwest...

Wild guess maybe a repositioning flight for revenue. America West with one of their 747's

Ooooo - I like it! Seriously wild though it may be. No, it was not America West however. It was flown with an aircraft type no longer utilized today... Please, guess again!
Improbable but not impossible. CO with A300s? That's an aircraft type not much used anymore.

As an FYI, it looks like ~3 years earlier, HA did operate a DC-8 on the route.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS MID-1992

6. In mid-1992, passengers desiring nonstop transport between Anchorage and Honolulu were limited to this once a week, Saturday only flight. Identify the airline and aircraft involved.
Who the heck izzit? We know it ain't Hawaiian Air...
6. Well, I do not think this was Continental operating an A300. In fact, I do not believe that CO ever flew HNL-ANC nor did they operate the A300 into HNL (although I did fly on board Continental operated A300 equipment back in the day SFO-IAH and LAX-IAH).

We do know this was an aircraft type no longer used in scheduled pax service....and I seem to recall your statement early on concerning the air carrier in question not being an obscure airline.

So perhaps it was United operating a re-engined Super DC-8-71.....and the actual route may have been HNL-ANC-FAI.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
6. Well, I do not think this was Continental operating an A300. In fact, I do not believe that CO ever flew HNL-ANC nor did they operate the A300 into HNL (although I did fly on board Continental operated A300 equipment back in the day SFO-IAH and LAX-IAH).

We do know this was an aircraft type no longer used in scheduled pax service....and I seem to recall your statement early on concerning the air carrier in question not being an obscure airline.

So perhaps it was United operating a re-engined Super DC-8-71.....and the actual route may have been HNL-ANC-FAI.
This got me thinking as it has been a long time since I've seen a passenger DC-8 (or 707). Apparently the last scheduled UA DC-8 passenger-carrying flight was October '91. Did involve the Hawaiian islands. FWIW, the last scheduled passenger DC-10 flight (BG) was 2014 which I am rather surprised at. I would have thought some airline out there would still be using them.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
This got me thinking as it has been a long time since I've seen a passenger DC-8 (or 707). Apparently the last scheduled UA DC-8 passenger-carrying flight was October '91. Did involve the Hawaiian islands. FWIW, the last scheduled passenger DC-10 flight (BG) was 2014 which I am rather surprised at. I would have thought some airline out there would still be using them.
I believe there are no longer any sched pax flights being operated with the MD-11 as well as I think KLM was the last operator retiring the airplane in the fall of 2014.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Good Morning everyone! The sun is up, the mountain is out and the internet is also up and running - What a day so far!

So I drove up to Fairbanks yesterday and accessed a couple of OAGs relevant to this set of questions. As you well know, OAGs can be bulky and heavy. Four (including a pocket OAG) were used to compile this group of 50 questions and rather than lug all four up and down the highway with me each week, I'll often take just one or two.

When I create these questions, I type out the answer alongside on the master sheet. Well then, imagine my surprise and chagrin to discover that on Question 6:

I had listed the answer as a UA DC-8-71

I put that answer in bright red to highlight how glaringly wrong it was.

The correct answer should have been:

Hawaiian Air D8S

As such, kudos go out to JoeDTW who correctly identified Hawaiian Air on his first go round way back in post 9263. Although he listed a DC-10 at that time, per the schedule the aircraft is listed as a D8S, which could have been either a -62 or -63 variant.

While in a perfect world one would always be 100% correct in compiling a set of 50 questions, mistakes occasionally happen. I'd like to think they're extremely rare but if anyone here feels otherwise, I would be happy to double check any past questions and answers of concern - something eminently doable as all of my questions are based off of OAGs I have in my possession.

In any event, I am sorry for the error on this one, especially as many of you have patiently submitted a variety of answers to this question over the past week, all of which I've indicated were wrong.

And now, on to the remaining questions

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 17, 2016 at 9:25 am
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I believe there are no longer any sched pax flights being operated with the MD-11 as well as I think KLM was the last operator retiring the airplane in the fall of 2014.
Are there any scheduled passenger flights still being operated with the 727-200? With so many older and more fuel efficient 737-3/4/500s and A320s being retired by their original owners, I should imagine any 727 operators couldn't trade in their old three holers fast enough!
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

3. Way up north in Canada’s Northwest Territory, three airlines vie for your patronage on the fiercely competitive route between Yellowknife (YZF) and Cambridge Bay (YCB). Two of the airlines operate mainline jet equipment while the other utilizes a turbo-prop. Identify each airline and its respective equipment.
First Air has been correctly identified as one of the airlines. However, it was not operating a 727.

5. Further perusal of the 1992 summer schedule reveals a single airline providing the only all economy configured flights between New York area airports and Ft. Lauderdale. Three flights per day are offered, one each from Long Island’s MacArthur Airport (ISP), New Jersey’s Newark International (EWR) and New York’s Kennedy International Airport (JFK). Identify the airline and the single aircraft type it operates on these three routes.
It's not Carnival. The airline involved operated an all-coach configured fleet

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS LATE 1997

40. You want to fly from Chicago to Las Vegas – but man oh man – the fares sure are expensive! But hey! Further investigation reveals that if you’re willing to depart out of Midway Airport – located on the city’s south side – there are two airlines that offer substantially cheaper fares. Identify both airlines as well as the aircraft that each airline operates.
ATA with a 727-200 was one of the airlines... The other airline operated an all-coach configured aircraft...

49. Who’d’ve ever thought that there would be sufficient demand to offer not one but three nonstop flights between Nashville and Colorado Springs? Not me. But yes, it turns out that in 1997 there are three almost daily jet flights between these two cities. Identify the airline and the aircraft utilized, please.
The airline involved is usually known for operating contract services for other airlines' regional operations.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 17, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Old Jun 16, 2016, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had listed the answer as a UA DC-8-71

I put that answer in bright red to highlight how glaringly wrong it was.

The correct answer should have been:

Hawaiian Air D8S

No big deal, Seat 2A. This has obviously happened to yours truly in the past as well (it's that gosh darn small print in the OAG)......

BTW, curious if my memory was correct and United indeed operated Super DC-8-71 service into ANC and FAI back in the day......
Old Jun 16, 2016, 4:13 pm

[QUOTE=Seat 2A;26787650]

21. If you live in Nashville and want to fly to West Palm Beach, there’s only one flight per day, albeit a one-stop flight. It’s got some vintage equipment though, and a cheap fare to boot. Identify the airline, the equipment and the enroute stop.
HINT: This should be easy for you guys... well known airline in its short life
[/COLOR][/B]
Let's go with Valujet, with a Critter-y DC-9 via ATL
Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

BTW, curious if my memory was correct and United indeed operated Super DC-8-71 service into ANC and FAI back in the day......
I remember it - I was living in Fairbanks at the time. Late eighties as I recall, about 1988... operated with the -71s.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 17, 2016 at 12:50 am
Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
21. If you live in Nashville and want to fly to West Palm Beach, there’s only one flight per day, albeit a one-stop flight. It’s got some vintage equipment though, and a cheap fare to boot. Identify the airline, the equipment and the enroute stop.
HINT: This should be easy for you guys... well known airline in its short life

Let's go with Valujet, with a Critter-y DC-9 via ATL

That's the answer I was looking for, Joe. Correct!
Old Jun 17, 2016, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... MID-1992
10. ... Montreal to Chicago! Maybe the ultimate 5th Freedom route in North America over the years. Both airlines are European... British Airways is not one of them. One airline operated Airbus equipment, the other McDonnell Douglas equipment.
having already eliminated LOT and El Al (which isn't European, but we didn't know that constraint in the beginning), I'll throw another two small-ish carriers into the debate: Sabena (A310) and Swissair (MD-11)
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
10. If you wanted to take advantage of Fifth Freedom rights to fly foreign carriers within North America, Montreal probably offered more options than any other city on the continent. Let’s examine just a couple here: Identify the two foreign airlines operating between Montreal and Chicago. While you’re at it, go ahead and identify which type of aircraft each airline operated on the route. (Sabena D10 and OK Czechoslovakian Airlines A310)

Having already eliminated LOT and El Al (which isn't European, but we didn't know that constraint in the beginning), I'll throw another two small-ish carriers into the debate: Sabena (A310) and Swissair (MD-11)

Good call, J! You've correctly identified one of the airlines and one of the aircraft. SABENA is correct, as is the A310. However, per the schedule I reference SABENA was not operating an A310 on this route. A different airline was however.

So then, we're looking for the aircraft type that SABENA operated and the airline that operated the A310.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
SN must have therefore run a DC-10-30 (-40?) ... I don't think there were a lot of other TATL A310 operators, so I'll speculate this may have been Czech (CSA)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.