Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Jun 14, 16, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by JoeDTW View Post
None of these three saw DC-10 service from DAL. ACA had a 1x day 707 nonstop and a 1x day one stop via MEX. PSP did not have a nonstop from DAL, but did have a 1x day one stop via PHX. STT and STX were not even listed in AA's schedules from DAL. Passengers wishing to fly AA to these cities would have had to fly to New York City, spend the night, then take AA's JFK-STT-STX flight the next morning. I'm sure most people flying from Dallas to the Virgin Islands took EA's much more direct route via MIA.

AA DC-10s were not uncommon at ACA and PSP (the first flight I can remember is AA 66, PSP-PHX-ORD-DTW in 1974, when I was six years old), but STT's runway was unsafe even for 727s, and would not have been able to accommodate a DC-10. AA predecessor Trans Caribbean Airlines had a fatal accident at STT in 1970, and AA itself would have a far more horrific crash there in 1976.
When did AA move from DAL to DFW? Below is a link showing a timetable from 1974 that shows DC10 service to those cities. However, after looking at them again, some were not non-stop, so I stand corrected.

http://www.departedflights.com/AA120174p10.html
Old Jun 14, 16, 9:23 pm

48. This airline provided a less expensive option to Air Canada and Canadian Airlines with twice daily one stop service between Calgary and Toronto. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the intermediate stop.
HINT: It's not WestJet

How about Air Transat with a stop in Winnipeg using some form of a 737 jet.
Old Jun 14, 16, 9:43 pm

31. Per the North American OAG referenced for this question, there are four foreign airlines serving Miami with 727-100 equipment. Interestingly, only two routes are involved, i.e. two airlines per each route. Given the regions covered by this OAG, identify the four airlines and – if you like – you may also have a go at the relevant routes.
Hanair & Haiti Trans Air flying PAP-MIA have been correctly identified. The other route is CUN-MIA on which TAESA has also been identified. We need one more... (No esta Mexicana) C'mon, you Gringos! Gimme the right answer!!

My final answer is going to be Aviacsa. Aeromexico doesn't show it has had 727's ever in it's fleet so I ruled them out.
Old Jun 14, 16, 10:10 pm

6. In mid-1992, passengers desiring nonstop transport between Anchorage and Honolulu were limited to this once a week, Saturday only flight. Identify the airline and aircraft involved.
Who the heck izzit? We know it ain't Hawaiian Air...

Wild guess maybe a repositioning flight for revenue. America West with one of their 747's
Old Jun 14, 16, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Originally Posted by teddybear99 View Post
6. In mid-1992, passengers desiring nonstop transport between Anchorage and Honolulu were limited to this once a week, Saturday only flight. Identify the airline and aircraft involved.
Who the heck izzit? We know it ain't Hawaiian Air...

Wild guess maybe a repositioning flight for revenue. America West with one of their 747's
From the timetable link you posted, I'll counter with Rich Int'l L-1011 (an airline I'mm not sure I ever heard of previously)

which lead me to

40. You want to fly from Chicago to Las Vegas – but man oh man – the fares sure are expensive! But hey! Further investigation reveals that if you’re willing to depart out of Midway Airport – located on the city’s south side – there are two airlines that offer substantially cheaper fares. Identify both airlines as well as the aircraft that each airline operates.
National Airlines with a 752 (obviously not the one PA purchased)

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Jun 14, 16 at 10:50 pm
Old Jun 14, 16, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

{duplicate deleted}

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Jun 14, 16 at 11:11 pm
Old Jun 14, 16, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

48. This airline provided a less expensive option to Air Canada and Canadian Airlines with twice daily one stop service between Calgary and Toronto. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the intermediate stop.

Hint was short-lived (5 month) startup. So not TS, or even 2T, RootsAir, Harmony which all either didn't exist or survived until later (or still alive).

Re-examining the dead Canadian airline list, looks like it was VistaJet with a 732 stopping at YWG (and YQT?) which lasted from May-September '97 (I can't say I've heard of the airline until now)
Old Jun 15, 16, 3:04 am

When did AA move from DAL to DFW? Below is a link showing a timetable from 1974 that shows DC10 service to those cities. However, after looking at them again, some were not non-stop, so I stand corrected.

http://www.departedflights.com/AA120174p10.html
Remember, this quiz is based on AA's June 1, 1973 timetable, which is a specific snapshot of a moment in time. Service into PHX, TUS, and PSP was far more seasonal 40 years ago than it is now, and air service patterns changed dramatically between summer and winter.

AA, and all airlines other than WN, moved to DFW in Jan 1974.
Old Jun 15, 16, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
8. AA and General Motors had a close relationship for many years, although not as close as the relationship between United and Ford. American flew 707Fs from Detroit to three cities, one west of Detroit and the other two east of Detroit. All three cities had General Motors assembly plants (one of the cities had two GM assembly plants) and I'm sure much of the cargo on the 707Fs was rush shipments from GM's auto parts plants in southeast Michigan to the assembly plants. Where were the 707Fs' destinations?
Boston and JFK are correct, Chicago is incorrect.
8- maybe St Louis

4. AA was just a few months from moving from DAL to DFW. You could take DC-10 Luxury Liner nonstops from Dallas to eight cities. What were the eight cities?
LAX, ORD, SFO, ELP, LGA, and TUS are correct. JFK, SAN, PHX, ACA, PSP, STT, STX, MEX, SAT, DTW, AUS, OKC, BNA, SJU, PHL, BOS, LAS, and STL have been ruled out.
IAD is correct, EWR is incorrect ... Just one DC-10 route left.
4- even though JoeDTW hasn't dropped a hint, just for grins let's see if there was a 1x (tag-on from LAX/SFO/LGA) to someplace we've talked a lot about ... TUL
Old Jun 15, 16, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
48. (In late 1997) This airline provided a less expensive option to Air Canada and Canadian Airlines with twice daily one stop service between Calgary and Toronto. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the intermediate stop.

I should have included as part of an updated hint my response from Post 9361. We're looking for an airline that lasted just five months before calling it quits. Air Transat is alive and well! Please - guess again!!

31. Per the North American OAG referenced for this question, there are four foreign airlines serving Miami with 727-100 equipment in early 1996. Interestingly, only two routes are involved, i.e. two airlines per each route. Given the regions covered by this OAG, identify the four airlines and – if you like – you may also have a go at the relevant routes.
Hanair & Haiti Trans Air flying PAP-MIA have been correctly identified. The other route is CUN-MIA on which TAESA has also been identified. We need one more... (No esta Mexicana) C'mon, you Gringos! Gimme the right answer!!

My final answer is going to be Aviacsa. Aeromexico doesn't show it has had 727's ever in it's fleet so I ruled them out.

Correct! Here are the four flights:

X4 122 PAP-MIA 1145a - 130p 727 YMTV Luncheon Daily

8F 748 PAP-MIA 200p - 400p 727 FY No Meal Listed Fri/Sun

GD 370 CUN-MIA 335p - 540p 727 YMHKP Snack X57

6A 850 CUN-MIA 400p - 600p 727 YBMKP Luncheon Daily

Who the heck izzit? We know it ain't Hawaiian Air or Northwest...

Ooooo - I like it! Seriously wild though it may be. No, it was not America West however. It was flown with an aircraft type no longer utilized today... Please, guess again!
Old Jun 15, 16, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
8- maybe St Louis

STL is a good guess, but not the correct one.

4- even though JoeDTW hasn't dropped a hint, just for grins let's see if there was a 1x (tag-on from LAX/SFO/LGA) to someplace we've talked a lot about ... TUL
TUL is also incorrect. We still have plenty of AA cities to choose from!
Old Jun 15, 16, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post

From the timetable link you posted, I'll counter with Rich Int'l L-1011 (an airline I'm not sure I ever heard of previously)

Rich International did serve the ANC-HNL route with an L-1011, but not until 1996. The FAA grounded Rich for alleged maintenance irregularities in September of 1996.

40. You want to fly from Chicago to Las Vegas – but man oh man – the fares sure are expensive! But hey! Further investigation reveals that if you’re willing to depart out of Midway Airport – located on the city’s south side – there are two airlines that offer substantially cheaper fares. Identify both airlines as well as the aircraft that each airline operates.
ATA with a 727-200 is one of the airlines...

National Airlines with a 752 (obviously not the one PA purchased)

I remember National (N7). I flew one of its ex-Iberia 757s from JFK to LAS, followed by an ex-Air Europe machine from LAS to SFO. However, National didn't commence operations until May 27, 1999 - a year and a half after the time frame referenced for this question.
Old Jun 15, 16, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach

Hint was short-lived (5 month) startup. So not TS, or even 2T, RootsAir, Harmony which all either didn't exist or survived until later (or still alive). Re-examining the dead Canadian airline list, looks like it was VistaJet with a 732 stopping at YWG (and YQT?) which lasted from May-September '97 (I can't say I've heard of the airline until now)

Vista Jet is correct. The stop was in Thunder Bay (YQT) and the aircraft was a 737-200.
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS MID-1992

3. Way up north in Canada’s Northwest Territory, three airlines vie for your patronage on the fiercely competitive route between Yellowknife (YZF) and Cambridge Bay (YCB). Two of the airlines operate mainline jet equipment while the other utilizes a turbo-prop. Identify each airline and its respective equipment.

5. Further perusal of the 1992 summer schedule reveals a single airline providing the only all economy configured flights between New York area airports and Ft. Lauderdale. Three flights per day are offered, one each from Long Island’s MacArthur Airport (ISP), New Jersey’s Newark International (EWR) and New York’s Kennedy International Airport (JFK). Identify the airline and the single aircraft type it operates on these three routes.
HINT: It's not Carnival.

10. If you wanted to take advantage of Fifth Freedom rights to fly foreign carriers within North America, Montreal probably offered more options than any other city on the continent. Let’s examine just a couple here: Identify the two foreign airlines operating between Montreal and Chicago. While you’re at it, go ahead and identify which type of aircraft each airline operated on the route.
C'mon now - Montreal to Chicago! Maybe the ultimate 5th Freedom route in North America over the years. Both airlines are European...

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTION IS SPRING 1994

21. If you live in Nashville and want to fly to West Palm Beach, there’s only one flight per day, albeit a one-stop flight. It’s got some vintage equipment though, and a cheap fare to boot. Identify the airline, the equipment and the enroute stop.

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS LATE 1997

ATA with a 727-200 was one of the airlines...

44. It’s a damp, wintery afternoon in southern Ohio when you get a call from an old friend requesting the pleasure of your company for a weekend of scuba diving in the Cayman Islands. You’re already thinking of how to get there before she’s even completed her request. Thankfully an ad in the Travel Section of last Sunday’s Cincinnati Enquirer shows you the way – a Saturday only nonstop departure straight from Cincinnati to Grand Cayman. Right on! Identify the airline and the aircraft you’ll be flying upon.
HINT: The airline has "International" as part of its title

49. Who’d’ve ever thought that there would be sufficient demand to offer not one but three nonstop flights between Nashville and Colorado Springs? Not me. But yes, it turns out that in 1997 there are three almost daily jet flights between these two cities. Identify the airline and the aircraft utilized, please.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 16, 16 at 10:20 am
Old Jun 15, 16, 11:48 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
From the timetable link you posted, I'll counter with Rich Int'l L-1011 (an airline I'm not sure I ever heard of previously)
We used to see Rich quite a bit in the UK in the 1980s-90s on charters, firstly DC8s and then Tristars. They seemed to go head-to-head with American Trans Air for this sort of work at the time. There was still a lot of US military transatlantic charter work then, and they seemed to split the commercial charter work between them as well.
Old Jun 15, 16, 1:24 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTION IS LATE 1997

37. Lots of airlines provide service between the three Washington DC area airports and Chicago. However, only one airline provides nonstop service between Washington’s Dulles International and Chicago’s Midway Airport. Your mission – should you decide to accept it – is to identify both the airline and the aircraft utilized on this route.
37. Well, I guess I'll have to accept this mission as it appears no one else will......

And speaking of guesses, let's go with AirTran operating a DC-9-30 nonstop on the IAD-MDW route.

If correct, this may have been one of AirTran's very few routes that did not touch their ATL or MCO hubs at the time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: