Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Jun 13, 16, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
how about SJU -- both for one of the AA DC-10 routes from DAL, and for the continuation of the BDL-JFK 747
Old Jun 13, 16, 11:55 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by JoeDTW View Post

3. One of AA's eight flights from Hartford was flown with a 747. What was the final destination of AA's 747 Luxury Liner, and what was the 747's one enroute stop?

ORD, LAX, and DTW have been ruled out as intermediate stops, and LAX was not the 747's final destination. This means the 747's intermediate stop was JFK....but where did it go after that?

5. Although AA's maintenance base has been in Tulsa for many years, you could take AA nonstop from TUL to just five cities. What were these cities?

7. Half of AA's nonstops from TUL were to one city - and it wasn't Dallas. What was it?
3. Well, JFK was indeed my second guess....but where to from there? Let's go with San Juan (SJU).

5. Chicago (ORD), Dallas (DAL), Nashville (BNA), Oklahoma City (OKC) and St. Louis (STL).

7. Perhaps the closest destination: Oklahoma City (OKC)
Old Jun 13, 16, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
6. In mid-1992, passengers desiring nonstop transport between Anchorage and Honolulu were limited to this once a week, Saturday only flight. Identify the airline and aircraft involved.
Who the heck izzit? We know it ain't Hawaiian Air...
Too early for narrow-body ETOPS (other than 757s) so I imagine it must have been one of the majors (CO, NW, UA) with a hub presence at HNL. If it was ~12 years earlier, I would say it could be CO (which did at the time, operate a weird HNL-YVR wth a DC-10). So best guess, NW with DC-10.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Jun 13, 16 at 12:51 pm
Old Jun 13, 16, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
49. Who’d’ve ever thought that there would be sufficient demand to offer not one but three nonstop flights between Nashville and Colorado Springs? Not me. But yes, it turns out that in 1997 there are three almost daily jet flights between these two cities. Identify the airline and the aircraft utilized, please.
Trying to remember now-defunct airlines from that era ('90s). Wasn't Reno or Morris as they had been absorbed by AA and WN already. One candidate would be Western Pacific operating 733s?
Old Jun 13, 16, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
how about SJU -- both for one of the AA DC-10 routes from DAL, and for the continuation of the BDL-JFK 747
SJU was neither a DC-10 destination out of DAL nor the continuation of the BDL-JFK 747.
Old Jun 13, 16, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
3. Well, JFK was indeed my second guess....but where to from there? Let's go with San Juan (SJU).

Incorrect.

5. Chicago (ORD), Dallas (DAL), Nashville (BNA), Oklahoma City (OKC) and St. Louis (STL).

Correct on all five cities - great job!

Now, which of these five cities was served with a DC-10, and where did it go afterward?

7. Perhaps the closest destination: Oklahoma City (OKC)
Correct again! AA had flights from TUL to OKC at 6:00 AM, 7:45 AM, 9:00 AM, 9:40 AM, 10:15 AM, 12:40 PM, 3:25 PM, and 4:00 PM. Two flights continued to DAL, three went to LAX, one went to PHX, and the other two went to SFO.
Old Jun 13, 16, 1:45 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat

4. AA was just a few months from moving from DAL to DFW. You could take DC-10 Luxury Liner nonstops from Dallas to eight cities. What were the eight cities?

LAX, ORD, SFO, ELP, and LGA are correct. JFK, SAN, PHX, ACA, PSP, STT, STX, MEX, SAT, DTW, AUS, OKC, BNA, and SJU have been ruled out. Five identified, three to go. Two of the three missing cities have historically seen a lot of AA widebody service, but the other missing city has almost never had AA widebodies fly there.
4. Boston (BOS), Philadelphia (PHL) and Tucson (TUS).
Old Jun 13, 16, 1:55 pm

Programs: NPR
Correct again! AA had flights from TUL to OKC at 6:00 AM, 7:45 AM, 9:00 AM, 9:40 AM, 10:15 AM, 12:40 PM, 3:25 PM, and 4:00 PM. Two flights continued to DAL, three went to LAX, one went to PHX, and the other two went to SFO.
And now there are no flights between TUL and OKC, only regional jets between OKC and LAX (when I lived in OKC, ca. 2000, not even that), and just one UA regional flight from OKC to SFO. The only nonstops to PHX are on WN.
Old Jun 13, 16, 2:18 pm

4. Boston (BOS), Philadelphia (PHL) and Tucson (TUS).
TUS is correct. AA flew 1x DC-10 in addition to 2x 707 and 1x 727. Another 707 stopped in ELP on the way to TUS,

PHL and BOS are incorrect. PHL was served with 2x 707 and 1x 727, along with a 707 that stopped at BAL. BOS was served with 1x 727 nonstop, along with several one and two stops.

This was not TUS' only DC-10 flight. Another DC-10 flew TUS-PHX-JFK. ORD-TUS did not have DC-10 service at this time, but it was one of the first AA DC-10 routes.
Old Jun 13, 16, 2:29 pm

TUS is correct. AA flew 1x DC-10 in addition to 2x 707 and 1x 727. Another 707 stopped in ELP on the way to TUS,

PHL and BOS are incorrect. PHL was served with 2x 707 and 1x 727, along with a 707 that stopped at BAL. BOS was served with 1x 727 nonstop, along with several one and two stops.

This was not TUS' only DC-10 flight. Another DC-10 flew TUS-PHX-JFK. ORD-TUS did not have DC-10 service at this time, but it was one of the first AA DC-10 routes.
4. Running out of AA destinations here....

Las Vegas (LAS) and St. Louis (STL).
Old Jun 13, 16, 7:37 pm

4. Running out of AA destinations here....

Las Vegas (LAS) and St. Louis (STL).
Neither Las Vegas nor St Louis were served by AA DC-10s from DAL.

In 1973, AA did not serve LAS at all. Dallas-Las Vegas was one of the routes AA claimed as soon as airline deregulation was enacted in 1978; AA took over Frontier's dormant authority in the market.

AA served DAL-STL 6x day, 5x 707 and 1x 727.

You aren't running out of AA destinations from DAL yet. Believe it or not, there are still 12 more cities AA served nonstop from DAL that nobody has mentioned as possible answers to this trivia question.

In my original posting, I've separated the cities AA served nonstop from DAL from the cities that did not have AA nonstops as of June 1, 1973. After the last two DC-10 cities have been identified, I'll set up a bonus question to guess the remaining cities served nonstop from DAL with only 707s or 727s.

Last edited by JoeDTW; Jun 13, 16 at 7:45 pm
Old Jun 13, 16, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
40. You want to fly from Chicago to Las Vegas – but man oh man – the fares sure are expensive! But hey! Further investigation reveals that if you’re willing to depart out of Midway Airport – located on the city’s south side – there are two airlines that offer substantially cheaper fares. Identify both airlines as well as the aircraft that each airline operates.
ATA with a 727-200 was one of the airlines...

I'll guess America West (HP). The equipment? May have been a B737-300.....or it could have an A319 or A320.

Please forgive my ignorance here, but did America West actually operate out of Midway? If so, I never knew!

In any event, for the purposes of this question it matters not as we're looking for a different airline here. Please - guess again!

And now, I'm off to dinner. If I can get back on tonight, I'll address more responses!

Old Jun 13, 16, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
8. AA and General Motors had a close relationship for many years, although not as close as the relationship between United and Ford. American flew 707Fs from Detroit to three cities, one west of Detroit and the other two east of Detroit. All three cities had General Motors assembly plants (one of the cities had two GM assembly plants) and I'm sure much of the cargo on the 707Fs was rush shipments from GM's auto parts plants in southeast Michigan to the assembly plants. Where were the 707Fs' destinations?
8- let's go with Boston and NYC to the east, and Chicago to the west

4. AA was just a few months from moving from DAL to DFW. You could take DC-10 Luxury Liner nonstops from Dallas to eight cities. What were the eight cities?
LAX, ORD, SFO, ELP, LGA, and TUS are correct. JFK, SAN, PHX, ACA, PSP, STT, STX, MEX, SAT, DTW, AUS, OKC, BNA, SJU, PHL, BOS, LAS, and STL have been ruled out.
... the last two DC-10 cities ...
4- continuing the wild-guess paradigm, how about EWR and IAD

Last edited by jrl767; Jun 13, 16 at 9:14 pm
Old Jun 13, 16, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
6. In mid-1992, passengers desiring nonstop transport between Anchorage and Honolulu were limited to this once a week, Saturday only flight. Identify the airline and aircraft involved.
Who the heck izzit? We know it ain't Hawaiian Air...

Too early for narrow-body ETOPS (other than 757s) so I imagine it must have been one of the majors (CO, NW, UA) with a hub presence at HNL. If it was ~12 years earlier, I would say it could be CO (which did at the time, operate a weird HNL-YVR with a DC-10). So best guess, NW with DC-10.

A good guess as Northwest certainly ran its fair share of DC-10s up to Anchorage - though so far as I know they never did so nonstop from Honolulu. Certainly - they didn't in 1992. So then, scratching HA and NW off the list, please - guess again!

49. In late 1997, who’d’ve ever thought that there would be sufficient demand to offer not one but three nonstop flights between Nashville and Colorado Springs? Not me. But yes, it turns out that in 1997 there are three almost daily jet flights between these two cities. Identify the airline and the aircraft utilized, please.

Trying to remember now-defunct airlines from that era ('90s). Wasn't Reno or Morris as they had been absorbed by AA and WN already. One candidate would be Western Pacific operating 733s.

Though Western Pacific did hub out of COS, by June of 1997 it had relocated its operations to Denver International. The airline we're looking for usually operated contract operations for other airlines. Care to have another go 'round?
Old Jun 14, 16, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
8- let's go with Boston and NYC to the east, and Chicago to the west

Boston and JFK are correct, Chicago is incorrect.

AA 832 let Los Angeles 11:30 PM, arrived ORD 5:04 AM, left ORD 6:10 AM, arrived DTW 8:05 AM, left DTW 9:05 AM, and arrived BOS 10:45 AM - enabling parts for the Chevelle / LeMans / Cutlass / Skylark assembly plant in Framingham to be at the plant by 1 PM.

AA 846 left SFO 11:00 PM, arrived DTW 6:08 AM, left DTW 7:15 AM, and arrived JFK 8:46 AM. Among the cargo carried on this flight were parts for the Oldsmobile / Pontiac plant in Linden, New Jersey, and the Chevrolet factory in Tarrytown, New York.

4- continuing the wild-guess paradigm, how about EWR and IAD
IAD is correct, EWR is incorrect. AA served IAD with a 1x day DC-10 that originated in SFO (AA lacked nonstop SFO-IAD authority before deregulation) and continued to BOS, along with 2x 707.

AA served EWR with 1x 707 nonstop, plus 2x one stop 707s, one via PHL and the other via IAD.

Just one DC-10 route left.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: