Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
48. This airline provided a less expensive option to Air Canada and Canadian Airlines with twice daily one stop service between Calgary and Toronto. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the intermediate stop.

I'll admit to looking up a dead airlines list and guess it was The Flying Dog a.k.a. Greyhound Air using Kelowna Flightcraft 727s and hubbing at YWG.

I remember seeing one of those good looking 727-200s wearing the Greyhound livery. I wasn't sure at the time if it was a passenger or cargo operator.

But no - in this case we're still looking for a different airline - one that lasted just five months before calling it quits... Please - guess again!!

Re. Question 22

It'd appear that CO had pulled out of DEN in 1994 (has it been that long since Stapleton closed?) so I would have to withdraw the now-determined-to-be-incorrect answer. Looked up my flight records and my CO intra-CO flights were a couple of years earlier. The DEN-GJT flight was indeed on an ATR but the GJT-DEN was on a MD-80. I remember some flight irregularity and the MD-80 might have been diverted to GJT and I might have been put onboard that.

Per the schedule I reference (1st QTR 1994), Continental was operating six daily or near daily ATRs, a single Beech 1900 and a single MD80 on the DEN-GJT route. Two of the ATR flights replaced 73S equipment scheduled earlier in the year.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:24 am

I just purchased a June 1, 1973 AA system timetable on Ebay for $9.25, including postage.

By 1973, AA had taken delivery of their initial widebody orders: 16 747s and 25 DC-10s. Unfortunately, there were not enough passengers to fill these aircraft, and within a few months, AA would take nine 747s out of service. This timetable represents the peak timeframe for AA's widebody fleet before deregulation - and it shows AA using widebodies on routes that you would not expect to see them on. There are a LOT of terrific trivia questions lurking in the pages of this timetable. Here are the first few:

1. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, several airlines resumed service at MDW (under pressure from Mayor Daley) to reduce congestion at ORD. In 1973, AA had four flights from MDW. All four flights went to the same destination. What was it?

Answered: DTW

2. In 1973, AA had nonstop service from Hartford to four cities. What were the four cities?
Answered. ORD, DTW, LAX, and JFK are correct, IAD and CLE were ruled out, and AA had nonstop service from BDL to PHL without traffic rights.

3. One of AA's eight flights from Hartford was flown with a 747. What was the final destination of AA's 747 Luxury Liner, and what was the 747's one enroute stop?

ORD, LAX, and DTW have been ruled out as intermediate stops, and LAX and SJU were not the 747's final destination. This means the 747's intermediate stop was JFK....but where did it go after that?

4. AA was just a few months from moving from DAL to DFW. You could take DC-10 Luxury Liner nonstops from Dallas to eight cities. What were the eight cities?

LAX, ORD, SFO, ELP, LGA, IAD, and TUS are correct. JFK, SAN, PHX, ACA, PSP, STT, STX, MEX, SAT, DTW, AUS, OKC, BNA, SJU, PHL, BOS, LAS, EWR, STL, and TUL have been ruled out. PSP, STT, SJU, and STX were not served nonstop from DAL, and AA did not serve AUS or LAS at all in 1973. Seven identified, one to go.

5. Although AA's maintenance base has been in Tulsa for many years, you could take AA nonstop from TUL to just five cities. What were these cities?

Answered: ORD, DAL, BNA, OKC, and STL.

6. One of AA's 16 flights from TUL was operated by a DC-10 Luxury Liner. What was its final destination, and where was its lone enroute stop?

7. Half of AA's nonstops from TUL were to one city - and it wasn't Dallas. What was it?

Answered: OKC

8. AA and General Motors had a close relationship for many years, although not as close as the relationship between United and Ford. American flew 707Fs from Detroit to three cities, one west of Detroit and the other two east of Detroit. All three cities had General Motors assembly plants (one of the cities had two GM assembly plants) and I'm sure much of the cargo on the 707Fs was rush shipments from GM's auto parts plants in southeast Michigan to the assembly plants. Where were the 707Fs' destinations?

Partly answered. The two eastbound 707s went to Boston, serving GM's Framingham assembly plant, and to JFK, serving GM's Linden and Tarrytown plants. STL and ORD have been ruled out; although eastbound 707F flights stopped in Chicago enroute from the West Coast to Detroit, westbound flights from Detroit did not. Chicago did not have a GM assembly plant, and the freight bound from Detroit to Chicago could be accommodated in the bellies of the 1x day 747, 2x day DC-10, and 13 707 / 727 flights from DTW to ORD.

Last edited by JoeDTW; Jun 15, 2016 at 11:19 am
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach

It'd appear that CO had pulled out of DEN in 1994 (has it been that long since Stapleton closed?) so I would have to withdraw the now-determined-to-be-incorrect answer. Looked up my flight records and my CO intra-CO flights were a couple of years earlier. The DEN-GJT flight was indeed on an ATR but the GJT-DEN was on a MD-80. I remember some flight irregularity and the MD-80 might have been diverted to GJT and I might have been put onboard that.
The new Denver airport finally opened in early 1995 (behind schedule). And, of course, Continental did not completely abandon DEN; they just closed down their hub after apparently having a very tough time competing with United.

I remember when CO with great fanfare began flying mainline equipment (B737-200, B737-300, DC9, D9S) nonstop between Denver and a number of smaller cities in California to include Bakersfield, Fresno, Santa Barbara and Stockton. By and large, this service did not last. By early 1994, Continental was still flying 73S or 733 equipment between DEN and Billings, Bozeman, Jackson Hole and Missoula - reminiscent of the original Frontier. And by 1995, CO was only operating nonstop flights between Denver and their IAH, EWR and CLE hubs, although commuter air carrier GP Express was still flying CO Express code share service between DEN and a number of smaller destinations in Colorado, Nebraska and Wyoming. Also at this same time in 1995, a resurrected, new start up version of Frontier (F9) was up and running with a small hub at Denver operating 73S equipment to Albuquerque, Billings, Bismarck, Bozeman, El Paso, Fargo, Great Falls, Missoula, Las Vegas, Omaha and Tucson.

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 12, 2016 at 3:19 pm Reason: added a few more F9 destinations
Old Jun 12, 2016, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by JoeDTW

2. In 1973, AA had nonstop service from Hartford to four cities. What were the four cities?
2. I'll guess Chicago O'Hare (ORD), New York Kennedy (JFK), Philadelphia (PHL) and Washington Dulles (IAD). And most of these flights were probably operated with Boeing 707 equipment although there may have been a B727-100 departure or two in the mix as well.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
2. I'll guess Chicago O'Hare (ORD), New York Kennedy (JFK), Philadelphia (PHL) and Washington Dulles (IAD). And most of these flights were probably operated with Boeing 707 equipment although there may have been a B727-100 departure or two in the mix as well.
ORD and JFK are correct. IAD is incorrect. I'll give you credit for PHL, because although AA did not have local traffic rights between BDL and PHL, AA 63 shows up in the timetable as a "one stop" from BDL to LAX, and a nonstop from PHL to LAX, but the BDL-PHL segment isn't listed. AA did "fly" from BDL to PHL, but you could not buy a ticket.

So, we're looking for two more cities AA served out of BDL. We're also looking for the route AA's 747 took from BDL.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

ORD & JFK so far... AA operated a lot of short flights around the northeast and I recall DTW and CLE getting a lot of service, so let's add those...

4. AA was just a few months from moving from DAL to DFW. You could take DC-10 Luxury Liner nonstops from Dallas to eight cities. What were the eight cities?

Let's go with LAX, ORD, SFO, JFK, LGA, ELP, PHX, SAN
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

ORD & JFK so far... AA operated a lot of short flights around the northeast and I recall DTW and CLE getting a lot of service, so let's add those...

DTW is correct, CLE is not. Just one more to go.

LAX, ORD, SFO, LGA, ELP are correct. JFK, SAN, and (surprisingly) PHX are not. Three to go.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:43 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass

The missing three?

Acapulco, Palm Springs, CA, and St. Thomas/Croix (not sure which came first)
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by teddybear99
The missing three?

Acapulco, Palm Springs, CA, and St. Thomas/Croix (not sure which came first)
None of these three saw DC-10 service from DAL. ACA had a 1x day 707 nonstop and a 1x day one stop via MEX. PSP did not have a nonstop from DAL, but did have a 1x day one stop via PHX. STT and STX were not even listed in AA's schedules from DAL. Passengers wishing to fly AA to these cities would have had to fly to New York City, spend the night, then take AA's JFK-STT-STX flight the next morning. I'm sure most people flying from Dallas to the Virgin Islands took EA's much more direct route via MIA.

AA DC-10s were not uncommon at ACA and PSP (the first flight I can remember is AA 66, PSP-PHX-ORD-DTW in 1974, when I was six years old), but STT's runway was unsafe even for 727s, and would not have been able to accommodate a DC-10. AA predecessor Trans Caribbean Airlines had a fatal accident at STT in 1970, and AA itself would have a far more horrific crash there in 1976.

Last edited by JoeDTW; Jun 13, 2016 at 7:24 am
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, several airlines resumed service at MDW (under pressure from Mayor Daley) to reduce congestion at ORD. In 1973, AA had four flights from MDW. All four flights went to the same destination. What was it?

ORD, DTW, and JFK have been identified, IAD and CLE have been ruled out, and AA had nonstop service from BDL to PHL without traffic rights. We're looking for one more city.

LAX, ORD, SFO, ELP, and LGA are correct. JFK, SAN, PHX, ACA, PSP, STT, and STX have been ruled out. Five identified, three to go. Two of the three missing cities have historically seen a lot of AA widebody service, but the other missing city has almost never had AA widebodies fly there.
Time for a number of wild and perhaps not so wild guesses...

1. Detroit (DTW). I think the BAC One-Eleven series 400 aircraft had all been removed from the fleet by 1972 (I seem to recall seeing a good number of One-Elevens parked at the AA maintenance base in TUL back around that time) so the equipment was probably the B727-100.

2. Los Angeles (LAX) with a 707.

4. Mexico City (MEX), Detroit (DTW) and San Antonio (SAT).
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by jlemon
Time for a number of wild and perhaps not so wild guesses...

1. Detroit (DTW). I think the BAC One-Eleven series 400 aircraft had all been removed from the fleet by 1972 (I seem to recall seeing a good number of One-Elevens parked at the AA maintenance base in TUL back around that time) so the equipment was probably the B727-100.

Winner! Winner! Muskrat Dinner!

AA had 4x day 727-23s MDW-DTW, leaving at 8:15 AM, 11:15 AM, 5:15 PM, and 9:10 PM. The 5:15 PM flight landed at DTW at 7:03 PM, enabling anyone who wanted to have a muskrat dinner at one of the establishments in Detroit's downriver suburbs serving it to be at the restaurant by 7:30.

The 11:15 AM and 5:15 PM flights continued to LGA, and the 8:15 AM flight continued to ROC.

2. Los Angeles (LAX) with a 707.

Correct! Now, which of the four cities AA had local traffic rights out of BDL could you fly to on a 747, and what was the 747's final destination?

4. Mexico City (MEX), Detroit (DTW) and San Antonio (SAT).
MEX, DTW, and SAT are all incorrect. AA flew to MEX 2x day nonstop with 707s, plus a 1x day 707 via SAT that was AA's only DAL-SAT flight.

DTW was served nonstop 2x day (1x 707, 1x 727), plus 3x day via IND (all 707s) and 1x day DC-10 via ORD.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

3. One of AA's eight flights from Hartford was flown with a 747. What was the final destination of AA's 747 Luxury Liner, and what was the 747's one enroute stop?

I'll say the final destination was Los Angeles and - strange as it sounds - the intermediate stop was Detroit.

LAX, ORD, SFO, LGA, ELP are correct. Three to go.

Lets go out on a limb here with AUS, OKC and BNA

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 13, 2016 at 10:07 am
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I can see that everyone is rushing to attempt to answer this one.....

And I have two routings in mind - but I'll limit myself to one at a time:

3. Hartford (BDL) - Chicago (ORD) - Los Angeles (LAX)
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

40. You want to fly from Chicago to Las Vegas – but man oh man – the fares sure are expensive! But hey! Further investigation reveals that if you’re willing to depart out of Midway Airport – located on the city’s south side – there are two airlines that offer substantially cheaper fares. Identify both airlines as well as the aircraft that each airline operates.
ATA with a 727-200 was one of the airlines...
And let's not forget good old Seat 2A here, folks, as he still has a number of quiz items looking for answers....

40. I'll guess America West (HP). The equipment? May have been a B737-300.....or it could have an A319 or A320.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:01 am

Seat 2A and jlemon, The final destination of the 747 was not LAX, and its intermediate stop after leaving BDL was not DTW or ORD. We've already said that LAX was served nonstop with a 707, so that means the intermediate stop is JFK by default. Where did the 747 go after it left JFK?

The DC-10 routes out of Dallas question has turned into quite a puzzle. AUS, OKC, and BNA were not served by AA DC-10s at this time.

AA did not start serving AUS until 1981. OKC was served 4x day nonstop, 2x 707 and 2x 727. Nashville was served 5x day nonstop, all 727s.

Last edited by JoeDTW; Jun 13, 2016 at 11:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.