Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Jun 4, 16, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
Ah... so close! Dang good start there, J! Awright then, go'n f (etch that last city! Yew kin dew it!
LAX
Old Jun 4, 16, 9:12 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat

24. Despite the short distances involved, US Airways operates intra-state mainline jet service to five North Carolina Cities from Charlotte. Identify those cities.
Raleigh, Fayetteville and Asheville identified so far...

33. The fiercely competitive route between Colorado Springs and Las Vegas is the beneficiary of nonstop service from three airlines. Identify the airlines and the equipment each operates on this route.

35. If you want to fly out of Bullhead City, AZ on a jet, you have to fly on this airline. Identify the airline, the equipment and the city served from IFP.
24. Wilmington (ILM) definitely comes to mind. And the other destination may have been Jacksonville, NC (OAJ).

33. Western Pacific (W7) was trying to make their COS hub work back then so we'll go with them as #1 with a B737-300. Las Vegas was a focus city or maybe even a secondary hub for America West (HP) so there's #2 with a B737 (probably a series 200). And #3? I'll guess this was Reno Air (QQ) with an MD-80.

35. Well, I just mentioned Reno Air and I seem to recall they did fly between Bullhead City and their San Jose hub. Equipment? Might have been their smallest aircraft: the MD-87.

Back to Air 21 for a moment..... One of their longer routes operated with the F28 was SLC-FAT. And I think they may have flown nonstop between LAX and GJT at one point as well.

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 4, 16 at 9:18 am
Old Jun 4, 16, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
It's a beautiful morning here in Denali National Park - quite a change from last night when rain and even a spot of thunder ruled the skies. I do apologize to moondog for not getting to the below question last night but alas, my (our) internet connection went down. Thank goodness it's up and running this morning. Now then...

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
15. Once upon a time, Nantucket, MA was the beneficiary of DC-9 jet flights from the likes of Northeast and New York Air. These days (1992), Nantucket is served by just a single jet flight. Identify the airline, the equipment and the route.

Nantucket jet service in 1992 ~ I'm going with Business Express, BAe-146, JFK

Per jlemon: Well, I thought about this as well... However, I do not think Business Express received their first BAe 146-200 aircraft until 1994.....which was an interim measure ahead of their Avro RJ-70 deliveries.

Per moondog: In that case, I'm going with Continental to Newark on a DC9-30. Rationale: Continental Express ran some of its largest turboprops on that route,, and I vaguely recall seasonal up gauges. There were no regional jets back then, and I don't think ACK has ever seen 737 or a320 service.

moondog is correct with his first response. At least in terms of aircraft. It was indeed Business Express - flying a BAe-146 on behalf of Delta Connection.

You can find Business Express Fleet History HERE

As to the route, the flights operated between Nantucket and Boston.

Regarding the missing city from Question 8 (AA's routes to San Juan), LAX is not the city we're looking for. Back in the seventies Delta used to operate a late night DC-8-61 in both directions on the LAX-SJU run, but I don't believe any other airline has ever provided nonstop service on that route since.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 4, 16 at 11:38 am
Old Jun 4, 16, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
24. Despite the short distances involved, US Airways operates intra-state mainline jet service to five North Carolina Cities from Charlotte. Identify those cities.
Raleigh, Fayetteville and Asheville identified so far...

Wilmington (ILM) definitely comes to mind. And the other destination may have been Jacksonville, NC (OAJ).

It was. Good call.

33. The fiercely competitive route between Colorado Springs and Las Vegas is the beneficiary of nonstop service from three airlines. Identify the airlines and the equipment each operates on this route.

Western Pacific (W7) was trying to make their COS hub work back then so we'll go with them as #1 with a B737-300. Las Vegas was a focus city or maybe even a secondary hub for America West (HP) so there's #2 with a B737 (probably a series 200). And #3? I'll guess this was Reno Air (QQ) with an MD-80.

Correct on all counts! I flew this route in 1996 - Reno Air outbound and Western Pacific on the return. I've got fares listed as $56.00 each way.

35. If you want to fly out of Bullhead City, AZ on a jet, you have to fly on this airline. Identify the airline, the equipment and the city served from IFP.

Well, I just mentioned Reno Air and I seem to recall they did fly between Bullhead City and their San Jose hub. Equipment? Might have been their smallest aircraft: the MD-87.

The schedules reflect only the M80 under Eq. heading, but yes, Reno Air is correct. I will be passing through Bullhead City next week enroute to dinner with friends who just happen to be staying the night in Laughlin. Dinner only for me - then it's back to lovely Needles, CA for the night.

Bonus Question: What famous cartoon character's brother lived in Needles? What was the name of the cartoon character? What was the name of his brother?
Old Jun 4, 16, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Bonus Question: What famous cartoon character's brother lived in Needles? What was the name of the cartoon character? What was the name of his brother?
are you asking about Snoopy and Spike?
Old Jun 4, 16, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
EARLY 1996
34. This airline offers more jet flights into Birmingham, Alabama than any other. Which airline is it?
well, Delta had probably 10 ATL<-->BHM trips by itself, and a handful of those were probably milk runs to and from DFW which would account for two or three different destinations in Mississippi and Louisiana ... there were probably a couple of DFW nonstops in the mix as well, and doubtless a couple of CVG turns ... Southwest probably served half a dozen destinations too, but I can't really see that they had quite as many trips

LATE 1997
45. Only two airlines fly jets into Lincoln, Nebraska. Donít worry about what kind of jets they are or where they come from. Just name the airlines.
how about TWA and Northwest
Old Jun 4, 16, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
34. In early 1996, this airline offered more jet flights into Birmingham, Alabama than any other. Which airline is it?

Well, Delta had probably 10 ATL<-->BHM trips by itself, and a handful of those were probably milk runs to and from DFW which would account for two or three different destinations in Mississippi and Louisiana ... there were probably a couple of DFW nonstops in the mix as well, and doubtless a couple of CVG turns ... Southwest probably served half a dozen destinations too, but I can't really see that they had quite as many trips

So is Delta your final answer? (I hope not!)

45. In late 1997, only two airlines flew jets into Lincoln, Nebraska. Donít worry about what kind of jets they are or where they came from. Just name the airlines.

How about TWA and Northwest

Well, you've got one of the airlines correct. I see you're still online so let's keep it interesting - which airline is correct and what is the other airline?

Are you asking about Snoopy and Spike?

I notice your answer is presented as a question. Do you know of any other cartoon characters whose brothers live in Needles, CA?
Old Jun 4, 16, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BQ- EED denizens
no ... allow me to rephrase ... "you are doubtless asking about Snoopy and Spike"

34- well, my answer was definitely vague (or vaguely definite, depending) ... taking "I hope not" as a hint that DL wasn't the big dog at BHM, I'll say WN was
Old Jun 4, 16, 1:27 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
It's a beautiful morning here in Denali National Park - quite a change from last night when rain and even a spot of thunder ruled the skies. I do apologize to moondog for not getting to the below question last night but alas, my (our) internet connection went down. Thank goodness it's up and running this morning. Now then...
With regard to quiz item #15, wikipedia strikes again! Hopefully my edit concerning the history of BEX will stick with regard to the correct dates when BAe 146-200 and Avro RJ-70 aircraft were introduced into their fleet....

As for our weather, a beautiful morning has given way to heavy thunderstorms with lots of lightning, thunder and now some flooding being reported locally. Our little pup Miss Bella does not care for the thunder at all but the recently rescued kitten could care less...it's nap time for the little guy whose leg has now healed following a bone fracture injury. BTW, those two are getting along just fine, more or less, and the truce appears to be holding.

Now then.....our man in Alaska has commented that he is not aware of any nonstop service between Los Angeles and San Juan (a distance of 3,385 miles) since the days of Super DC-8 service operated by Delta. So here's a bonus quiz item.....

In 2001, this airline was operating round trip nonstop service twice a week between LAX and SJU. Identify the airline and the aircraft type flown on the route. ANSWERED....Up, Up and Away! TWA!

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 5, 16 at 1:42 pm Reason: answer update
Old Jun 4, 16, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8- AA nonstops to SJU ... how about Detroit (DTW) for the missing #14
Old Jun 4, 16, 6:20 pm

Although I don't have the answer to this question, as a Cape Cod native, it jumped out at me. In the past, there were better ways to get from Cape Cod to various points in Florida.

47a: Apart from Boston, where could you make a single connection between HYA and TPA? (3 correct answers)

47b: PBA flew 5 different airplane types between HYA and BOS during my time (1974 until its demise). Name these.

47c: Air New England (which died while PBA was still active) used 2 airplane types on the same route. What were they?
-answered: Twin Otter and F-227b

47d: If you wanted to redeem an award ticket between HYA and LAX in 1985, you only had one option. Which airline would you be flying?
47b: Cessna 402, Martin 404, Embraer Bandeirante, DC-3, and YS-11.

47d: Bar Harbor / Eastern Express, via BOS and ATL.

PBA had a nice publication, "The PBA Flyer", which they were kind enough to send to me even though I lived in Michigan. It's a real shame the Van Arsdale sons managed to destroy in four years what their dad spent a lifetime building.
Old Jun 4, 16, 6:29 pm

[QUOTE=Seat 2A;26717585]THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS MID-1992

[
4. A thorough perusal of the schedules reveals that during the mid-summer of 1992, only one airline was operating mainline jet equipment into Tampa’s St. Petersburg International Airport (PIE), operating four flights a week from an unnamed American city. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the city of origin for these flights.

14. Identify the only city in Montana receiving jet flights that does not have any nonstop interstate jet services.

39. In most cases, travel during the “Good Old Days” was vastly superior to what passes as quality air transport these days. An exception however might be made on the Pittsburgh to Montreal route. At least in late 1997, that is. In the old days this route was flown aboard a Nordair 737-200. Nowadays you have the option of flying between Pittsburgh and Montreal aboard a foreign airline that’s taking advantage of its 5th Freedom rights. A snack is even served - if you’re in First Class. Boy oh boy – this sure beats a US Air DC-9-30! Identify the airline taking advantage of 5th freedom rights on this route as well as the aircraft it flies.

Here are my guesses:

4. This sure seems like the sort of airport American Trans Air would have served out of IND, with 727-100s

14. I'll go with Helena, which, despite being the state capitol, is (like Pierre) such a small town that it has limited air service.

39. A British Airways 767-336, which continued on to LHR.

As an aside, on Tuesday night / Wednesday morning I had to spend my first night in an airport, because my 7 PM AA flight from DTW to ORD left DTW at 2 AM, arriving ORD (with a time change) at 2:14 AM, and the earliest AA could get me home to MSP was 10:10 AM. DTW's North terminal was at least bearable, because the TVs turned off at 11:30 PM, but at ORD, the TVs continued at full volume all night, making any sort of rest impossible. Seat 2A, you would NOT have been happy!
Old Jun 4, 16, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW View Post
47b: Cessna 402, Martin 404, Embraer Bandeirante, DC-3, and YS-11.

47d: Bar Harbor / Eastern Express, via BOS and ATL.

PBA had a nice publication, "The PBA Flyer", which they were kind enough to send to me even though I lived in Michigan. It's a real shame the Van Arsdale sons managed to destroy in four years what their dad spent a lifetime building.
48a: Excellent job! I loved the 402 flights the most because I got to ride in the co-pilot seat, and the captain let take the controls between 5 minutes after takeoff and 5 minutes before landing (I was ~8 at the time). Note: I was always the only passenger on the plane during these flights.

But, the 404s and YS11's were my favorites because HYA didn't see bigger planes.

48d: In addition to Eastern Express via BOS, I had Continental via EWR in mind, but it's possible those flights were killed prior to 1992. Can anyone confirm?
Old Jun 4, 16, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

47a: Apart from Boston, where could you make a single connection between HYA and TPA? (3 correct answers)
hmmmmmmm ... the three NYC airports would seem to be the obvious answer, although I have learned on several occasions in this thread that "obvious" is often wrong

you don't specify whether "single connection" is on-line or interline; if on-line, I suspect that EWR (CO) and JFK (DL) are on the list, but I can't think of any other airline that might have operated to both HYA and TPA ... therefore, other than LGA, what other cities in New England might have had nonstops to both, but via different airlines? Hartford and Providence are the only ones that come to my mind

... I loved the 402 flights the most because I got to ride in the co-pilot seat, and the captain let take the controls between 5 minutes after takeoff and 5 minutes before landing ...
"stick time" is great ... I have about 45 min in the #4 767 when I was Test Director (40-some flights in early 1982), and a total of about an hour in USAF transports (C-12 and C-141) when I was riding as a space-available passenger during my Reserve days

Last edited by jrl767; Jun 4, 16 at 10:19 pm
Old Jun 4, 16, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post

You are doubtless asking about Snoopy and Spike

For an old Boeing engineer, you're pretty smart, J! Spot on! Woof!

34. This airline offers more jet flights into Birmingham, Alabama than any other. Which airline is it?

Well, my answer was definitely vague (or vaguely definite, depending) ... Taking "I hope not" as a hint that DL wasn't the big dog at BHM, I'll say WN was.

Yes!!! And another one bites the dust!

Re. Question 8- AA nonstops to SJU

How about Detroit (DTW) for the missing #14

It was not Detroit, but it was a city north of the Mason Dixon Line and east of the Great Lakes...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 4, 16 at 11:19 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: