Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Apr 16, 12, 10:25 am
  #886  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: Still lowly AA Gold for a bit, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Posts: 7,960
3) What airline operated MD-80 service between Eugene, OR (EUG) and Portland (PDX)?

I'll go ahead and answer this remaining question:

American operated MD-80 service on a routing of EUG-PDX-DFW.

However, the service was discontinued out of EUG.
jlemon is offline  
Old Apr 16, 12, 10:48 am
  #887  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: Still lowly AA Gold for a bit, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Posts: 7,960
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
Regarding JetRail at Dallas Love Field, well, we all know Wikipedia isn't the end-all source, but for now it's the best I have to go with. Check it out HERE
Well, it sure as heck wasn't a monorail but it was fully automated....and it was the only example of a WEDway people mover built by the good folks at Disney for an application that was not located at a Disney theme park as it was located at a brand new airport at the time. After my first ride on it, I called it the "Toonerville Trolley" (and this was not meant to be an endearing term).

Anyone care to guess the airport as well as the month and year this airport and people mover system went into operation?
jlemon is offline  
Old Apr 16, 12, 11:12 am
  #888  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: London, England.
Programs: BA
Posts: 7,482
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
Anyone care to guess the airport as well as the month and year this airport and people mover system went into operation?
I think it's at Houston but I'd have to look up the opening date.

Glad there is another appreciator of the Toonerville Trolley here, a cartoon strip by Fontaine Fox about a rickety trolleycar from somewhat before my time. The daily newspaper when mentioned was called the "Toonerville Evening Apricot", which is a title I've used ever since (with the name changed to the town in question) to describe any newspaper of a locality I come across.
WHBM is offline  
Old Apr 16, 12, 11:23 am
  #889  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: Still lowly AA Gold for a bit, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Posts: 7,960
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
I think it's at Houston but I'd have to look up the opening date.

Glad there is another appreciator of the Toonerville Trolley here, a cartoon strip by Fontaine Fox about a rickety trolleycar from somewhat before my time. The daily newspaper when mentioned was called the "Toonerville Evening Apricot", which is a title I've used ever since (with the name changed to the town in question) to describe any newspaper of a locality I come across.
Correct! Houston Intercontinental Airport (IAH).....and the month and year were June of 1969.

The WEDway people mover at IAH was updated and modernized some years later and remains in operation to this day. However, it has been largely replaced by the above ground TerminaLink system that now connects all of the terminals at IAH since the extension to Terminal A was completed awhile back.
jlemon is offline  
Old Apr 16, 12, 11:28 am
  #890  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Ester, Alaska
Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Posts: 8,784
These questions have garnered no interest, so I will answer them here:

1.) What was the first U.S. airline to power a flight with biofuel?
Continental

2.) What was the first U.S. airline to offer full in-flight broadband Internet service?
American

3.) What was the first airline to board more than 100 million passengers in a year?
Delta

5.) This airline became the first regional airline to inaugurate jet aircraft service in the U.S. 1965
Mohawk - BAC-111

8.) What was the first U.S. airline to sell tickets on the Internet?
Alaska
Seat 2A is offline  
Old Apr 16, 12, 12:58 pm
  #891  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: London, England.
Programs: BA
Posts: 7,482
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
There were four operators of scheduled services from Liverpool at the time. One (this one) went to Isle of Man and Belfast, a second went to London, a third to Dublin, and a fourth to Amsterdam, Bristol and Newcastle. What airlines ? And a bonus point for the aircraft types.
Guess I should round these out for 1966.

Cambrian Airways, associated with BEA and used to give their unprofitable cast-off routes to, along with old aircraft. Liverpool to Isle of Man and Belfast with Vickers Viscount 700s.

British Eagle, having taken over the old Starways company this was their second UK base after Heathrow. Liverpool to London (main trunk route), Glasgow and Dublin. Also inclusive holiday tours to the Mediterranean at night and weekends using the same aircraft. A couple of Viscounts, as ever, but also the Bristol Britannia, which during 1966 was giving way to BAC One-Elevens, Liverpool's first jets.

Aer Lingus to Dublin. Viscounts again.

Dan-Air, who else, with an amazing variety. A twice-daily DC3 route from Bristol and Cardiff, through Liverpool and up to Newcastle. Separately, an isolated Liverpool to Amsterdam service, with that amazing aircraft the Airspeed Ambassador. The sleeve-valve Centaurus piston engines used to leak oil into the lower cylinders while it stood overnight. On morning startup there was the most enormous cloud of grey smoke as all this escaped oil was burned off. What an off-putting sight to the passengers sat inside at the rear ! I don't think any Ambassador ever made it to North America, although they did get to an Australian operator. You really missed something there.
WHBM is offline  
Old Apr 18, 12, 11:29 am
  #892  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Orleans
Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Posts: 594
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
Freddie Laker (not Sir Freddie until much later in life) owned this last one and became Managing Director of the new merged operation, buying both the One-Eleven and the VC-10. After an executive fight in 1966 he quit and started his own airline again, beginning by ordering his second fleet of One-Elevens, which took British (and West Berlin) holidaymakers down to the Mediterranean for many years and were still all in the fleet when Laker Airways finally went under in 1982
I was one of those holidaymakers, but on one of Laker's DC-10s in 1979 when I took my wife and 10 yr-old son from London to Malaga for a long weekend (LGW-AGP) -- baggage handlers were on strike in Malaga, so passengers had to retrieve their bags on the tarmac; on the return flight there was no advance seat selection and no jetway, which meant a tarmac stampede. I sprinted ahead to claim seats for our family, but when my wife joined me we realized that our son was still in the terminal -- I found him sitting in the almost deserted area with a gate agent trying to console him that he wouldn't be left behind!
miniliq is offline  
Old Apr 18, 12, 12:40 pm
  #893  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: London, England.
Programs: BA
Posts: 7,482
Originally Posted by miniliq View Post
I was one of those holidaymakers, but on one of Laker's DC-10s in 1979 when I took my wife and 10 yr-old son from London to Malaga for a long weekend (LGW-AGP)
The DC-10 was an unusual type to employ to Malaga, which was normally the province of Laker One-Elevens, and their 707s for larger loads. However in June-July 1979, following the loss of the American Airlines DC-10 at Chicago, US-registered DC-10s were grounded by the FAA in the USA. This action was not taken elsewhere in the world, as many could see the politics coming into play between McDD, American, and the FAA, but an unusual additional regulation prohibited foreign-registered DC-10s, not normally subject to FAA control, from US airspace. This had a key impact on Laker's Skytrain services, and in a switch-round of resources all the 707s were put onto Skytrain, along with some leased capacity, while the DC-10s were used on the shorter runs within Europe. Was your trip in this time ?
WHBM is offline  
Old Apr 18, 12, 1:09 pm
  #894  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Orleans
Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Posts: 594
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
The DC-10 was an unusual type to employ to Malaga, which was normally the province of Laker One-Elevens, and their 707s for larger loads. However in June-July 1979, following the loss of the American Airlines DC-10 at Chicago, US-registered DC-10s were grounded by the FAA in the USA. This action was not taken elsewhere in the world, as many could see the politics coming into play between McDD, American, and the FAA, but an unusual additional regulation prohibited foreign-registered DC-10s, not normally subject to FAA control, from US airspace. This had a key impact on Laker's Skytrain services, and in a switch-round of resources all the 707s were put onto Skytrain, along with some leased capacity, while the DC-10s were used on the shorter runs within Europe. Was your trip in this time ?
It was 2/17-2/20/79, which precedes the AA incident, so perhaps my notes are faulty -- I can't find any independent evidence to corroborate the use of a DC-10 on that run.
miniliq is offline  
Old Apr 18, 12, 1:13 pm
  #895  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: Still lowly AA Gold for a bit, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Posts: 7,960
Well, it was certainly great to see the widespread interest yesterday with regard to the flyover of Washington D.C. by the NASA Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (SCA, being a B747, of course) with the good old "Discovery" orbiter on its back catching a ride from KSC to IAD......I was present at KSC in Florida when "Discovery" made her final re-entry from space and landing at the Cape.

My Dad helped to design the space shuttles as an aerospace engineer working at the Johnson Space Center (JSC) in Texas. One of his very good friends was John Young, a former Apollo astronaut who walked on the moon during the Apollo 17 mission. Dad was involved with the Apollo program as well and was a senior member of the Boeing team which developed the navigation systems for the Lunar Excursion Module (LEM). John and Dad went on to work together quite closely on the development of the shuttles. And, of course, John then served as the mission commander of STS-1, the first shuttle mission with the "Columbia", with very able assistance from astronaut Bob Crippen. Those two guys made history when "Columbia" roared off the launch pad at KSC all those years ago.....and I vividly remember how Dad and his team put their hearts and souls into the shuttle program.....they truly believed in manned spaceflight.

So, with an eye to the events that occurred yesterday concerning the grand arrival of "Discovery" at IAD, here's two quiz questions:

1) What airline operated the SCA (N905NA) prior to its acquisition by NASA?

2) What type of chase aircraft did NASA use yesterday to escort the SCA and "Discovery" during the flyover of Washington?
jlemon is offline  
Old Apr 18, 12, 1:32 pm
  #896  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Orleans
Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Posts: 594
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
1) What airline operated the SCA (N905NA) prior to its acquisition by NASA?
Had to look this up -- it was American, which took delivery in October 1970.
miniliq is offline  
Old Apr 18, 12, 1:47 pm
  #897  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: London, England.
Programs: BA
Posts: 7,482
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
......I was present at KSC in Florida when "Discovery" made her final re-entry from space and landing at the Cape.
And I was there when Discovery lifted off on the 100th shuttle mission in October 2000. NASA did special tee-shirts in their shop for each launch, and I've just had to go and plunder the laundry basket to get the date, because mine still in use - I commented to Mrs WHBM last night when it came up on the BBC TV news that the tee-shirt has outlasted the orbiter !
WHBM is offline  
Old Apr 18, 12, 1:51 pm
  #898  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: Still lowly AA Gold for a bit, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Posts: 7,960
Originally Posted by miniliq View Post
Had to look this up -- it was American, which took delivery in October 1970.
Our man in MSY is correct! I believe "NASA 905" (N905NA) is a B747-123.

BTW, my first 747 ride ever was back in 1971 on an AA B747-123 from SFO to ORD. And there was actually a little piano bar in the back of the coach section of the airplane.

Any guesses concerning the chase aircraft that accompanied NASA 905 and "Discovery" yesterday?
jlemon is offline  
Old Apr 18, 12, 1:52 pm
  #899  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: London, England.
Programs: BA
Posts: 7,482
Originally Posted by miniliq View Post
It was 2/17-2/20/79, which precedes the AA incident, so perhaps my notes are faulty -- I can't find any independent evidence to corroborate the use of a DC-10 on that run.
Actually use of Laker's DC-10s was low in the winter once they built up the big fleet (a significant part of their financial woes), and UK half-term week (which it looks like) may have been just a chance for some extra loads on the holiday flights.

What was your departure airport, maybe I have some data.
WHBM is offline  
Old Apr 18, 12, 2:21 pm
  #900  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Orleans
Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Posts: 594
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
Actually use of Laker's DC-10s was low in the winter once they built up the big fleet (a significant part of their financial woes), and UK half-term week (which it looks like) may have been just a chance for some extra loads on the holiday flights.

What was your departure airport, maybe I have some data.
Gatwick -- while we lived in London, we took advantage of weekends/holidays for bargain flights -- most from LGW or LUT (Luton).
miniliq is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: