Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
7. Aside from the usual West Coast gateway cities (SAN, LAX, SFO, PDX, SEA and YVR), Honolulu is served by nonstop 747 flights from four other U.S. mainland cities. Identify each city and the 747 operator that connects it with Honolulu.

STL - TW Correct!
LAS or PHX - HP Correct! x 2
ORD - UA Incorrect!
DTW - NW Incorrect!

You're off to a great start, moondog! America West operated nonstop 747s out of both Phoenix and Las Vegas. As to your United and Northwest submissions - they both have been correct at different times but alas - not during the period covered by the OAG I referenced for this question.

As such, we're still looking for one more market, operated by an as yet unmentioned airline. Care to have another go?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
10. Identify eight U.S. airlines that operated scheduled services with non-turbofan powered Boeing 720s

Well, let's see here....

* Alaska Airlines

* American - their 720s were subsequently converted to 720Bs

* Braniff International - I flew on BN 720s several times

* Capital - 720s leased from United

* Eastern

* Pacific Northern (PNA)

* United

* Western - I believe these were former PNA aircraft obtained in the acquisition of PNA by WA

And there may have been a ninth: Aeroamerica operating 720 service between Boeing Field and Spokane.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
8. By the time American commenced 707 service on January 25, 1959, it’s Electras has been in service for how long?
Glad to be back, Seat 2A. On this question I'm either missing the point, or it's a trick question. I believe AA's deliveries of the L-188A Electras with the Flagship names were all in the November 1958 - early 1959 timeframe, so the answer would be a month or two at most, coinciding with the 707's. My first Electra flights were not until March, November and December of 1962, on NW, BN, and AA respectively, but I remember being fascinated that one (or more) of them had 4 or 5 seats at the rear of the cabin arranged as a U-shaped "lounge". So far I have not been able to find a photo to confirm my memory.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
.... My first Electra flights were not until March, November and December of 1962, on NW, BN, and AA respectively, but I remember being fascinated that one (or more) of them had 4 or 5 seats at the rear of the cabin arranged as a U-shaped "lounge". So far I have not been able to find a photo to confirm my memory.
I seem to remember seeing this U-shaped seating configuration in the back of the Electra as well on flights between LAX and SFO operated by PSA.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
10. Identify eight U.S. airlines that operated scheduled services with non-turbofan powered Boeing 720s

Well, let's see here....

* Alaska Airlines

* American - their 720s were subsequently converted to 720Bs

* Braniff International - I flew on BN 720s several times

* Capital - 720s leased from United

* Eastern

* Pacific Northern (PNA)

* United

* Western - I believe these were former PNA aircraft obtained in the acquisition of PNA by WA

And there may have been a ninth: Aeroamerica operating 720 service between Boeing Field and Spokane.

Well done, JL! I didn't include Capital but of course it is quite valid even if its 720s never wore the Capital livery. Where I thought you might get tripped up was with AA's first few 720s, which as you've correctly noted were delivered as turbojets with JT3C engines. Good job!
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... And there may have been a ninth: Aeroamerica operating 720 service between Boeing Field and Spokane.
circa 1980, I also seem to remember AeroAmerica smoke generators (aka 720s) departing SEA for HNL
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

8. By the time American commenced 707 service on January 25, 1959, it’s Electras has been in service for how long?

On this question I'm either missing the point, or it's a trick question. I believe AA's deliveries of the L-188A Electras with the Flagship names were all in the November 1958 - early 1959 timeframe, so the answer would be a month or two at most, coinciding with the 707's. My first Electra flights were not until March, November and December of 1962, on NW, BN, and AA respectively, but I remember being fascinated that one (or more) of them had 4 or 5 seats at the rear of the cabin arranged as a U-shaped "lounge". So far I have not been able to find a photo to confirm my memory.

Well, you've definitely got the gist of the question, mini, but you're a bit off on the timing. You are correct with regard to AA'a Electra delivery dates, but here's a hint that might allow you to come a bit closer to the correct answer:

American suffered a 22 day pilot strike that began in late December of 1958.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by miniliq View Post

On this question I'm either missing the point, or it's a trick question. I believe AA's deliveries of the L-188A Electras with the Flagship names were all in the November 1958 - early 1959 timeframe, so the answer would be a month or two at most, coinciding with the 707's.

Well, you've definitely got the gist of the question, mini, but you're a bit off on the timing. You are correct with regard to AA'a Electra delivery dates, but here's a hint that might allow you to come a bit closer to the correct answer:

American suffered a 22 day pilot strike that began in late December of 1958.
Yes, your hint was all I needed -- the answer is 2 days. Quoting from the book From Props to Jets, "revenue Electra flights began on January 23, 1959.....just two days ahead of the first 707 service." Clever question!
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, your hint was all I needed -- the answer is 2 days. Quoting from the book From Props to Jets, "revenue Electra flights began on January 23, 1959.....just two days ahead of the first 707 service." Clever question!
Right on! And I see we think alike on our source material. I've known Jon Proctor (the author) since 1979. He was a TWA flight attendant at the time but also operated a postcard company called Aviation World. I hope to see him at this summer's Airliners International show if I can get the time off.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here are the remaining questions... Plus four bonus questions to round this batch out to... fourteen!

3. Over the years, Western Airlines and World Airways have provided nonstop service between Oakland (OAK) and Honolulu (HNL). In 1990 a different airline has stepped up to offer a single daily flight between these two cities. Identify that airline and the aircraft it flies on this route.
HINT: It's not America West... or Aloha

7. (In 1990) Aside from the usual West Coast gateway cities (SAN, LAX, SFO, PDX, SEA and YVR), Honolulu was served by nonstop 747 flights from four other U.S. mainland cities. Identify each city and the 747 operator that connects it with Honolulu.
A N S W E R E D

11. These days major U.S. airline CEOs come and go rather quickly. This one lasted 45 years at the helm of his airline. Who was he?
A N S W E R E D

12. (The WHBM Special) In 1965, El Al’s one-stop service between Tel Aviv and Johannesburg was operated via a most interesting city (All things considered, these days). Identify the city and the aircraft utilized on this route.
A N S W E R E D

13. By the summer of 1961, Boeing had delivered 215 jets. Of those delivered, 51 went to this airline making it the world’s largest operator of Boeing jets.

14. For years, American’s props and jets were individually named as Flagships in honor of U.S. states. Later they were marketed as “Astrojets”. What spurred the name change?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 7, 2016 at 2:27 pm
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
11. These days major U.S. airline CEOs come and go rather quickly. This one lasted 45 years at the helm of his airline. Who was he?
This sounds like Juan Trippe, but my research suggests he lasted at most 43 or 44 years, depending on how you round.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

12. (The WHBM Special) In 1965, El Al’s one-stop service between Tel Aviv and Johannesburg was operated via a most interesting city (All things considered, these days). Identify the city and the aircraft utilized on this route.
12. Well, we have not heard from WHBM in awhile now (and we certainly hope all is well with him and his family!). So please allow yours truly to step in here as I think I may have posed a question very similar to yours quite some time ago (hey, we've only been doing this since the fall of 2011)......

The intermediate stop would have been Teheran and the equipment might have been a Boeing 720B.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by puls

This sounds like Juan Trippe, but my research suggests he lasted at most 43 or 44 years, depending on how you round.

Welcome aboard, puls, and thanks for your participation. ^^

Juan Trippe was Pan Am's "Chairman of the Board of Directors" from its first flight in 1927. However, that position was taken from him in 1939.

To quote from this article, "In March 1939, Pan Am’s board of directors ousted Trippe as chief executive officer and replaced him with Cornelius Vanderbilt Whitney, a man known more for paternity suits and horse racing than business acumen. Whitney had been one of the original backers of Trippe’s New England airmail scheme, the seed from which Pan Am grew. And in his role as chairman of the board, Whitney had consistently supported Trippe’s expansion plans. Now Whitney would serve as CEO, while Trippe, swallowing his pride, continued to manage Pan Am’s operations as its president."

Trippe regained his leadership position in 1941 and held it until his resignation in 1968.

He served a good long while (41 years) but the man I'm thinking of had him beat by four years.

Please, guess again!
Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, we have not heard from WHBM in awhile now (and we certainly hope all is well with him and his family!). So please allow yours truly to step in here as I think I may have posed a question very similar to yours quite some time ago (hey, we've only been doing this since the fall of 2011)......

The intermediate stop would have been Teheran and the equipment might have been a Boeing 720B.

Spot on, JL! What's interesting is that via webflyer I show the nonstop distance between Teheran's old Mehrabad International Airport and Johannesburg as 4,520 miles - surely a record for long distance 720 operations!
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
11. Sir Reg Ansett headed his airline from 1935 to 1980.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.