Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Mar 24, 16, 8:23 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, minuscule UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
34. Also in 1976, only one airline was operating nonstop jet service between Chicago Midway Airport (MDW) and St. Louis (STL) with two round trip flights a day. The same aircraft type was flown on both services. Name the airline and the aircraft type.

Well if nobody else wants this one, I reckon I'll have a go. TWA or Ozark would seem the obvious choices so I doubt that's it. Let's go with Southern, running a baby 9 on both flights.
34. One would think the air carrier in question was either Trans World Airlines or Ozark given their respective hub operations at STL over the years. However, as you have correctly surmised, it was not TWA or OZ.

And then there's Southern which initially began operations at Midway before transferring their service over to O'Hare. But, it was not SO, either.

So here's a hint: you are in the ballpark with regard to your aircraft selection. Not quite, but close.
Old Mar 24, 16, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
34- MDW<-->STL: I'm thinking Delta with a DC9-30

23- next guess at the Delta DC9-10 configuration: 20F/55Y
Old Mar 24, 16, 4:26 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, minuscule UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
34- MDW<-->STL: I'm thinking Delta with a DC9-30

23- next guess at the Delta DC9-10 configuration: 20F/55Y
23. Actually 20 seats in F and 45 seats in Y on board the Douglas DC-9-14 as initially configured by Delta.

34. Correct!

So what the heck was Delta doing flying Chicago Midway - St. Louis with the DC-9-30 in 1976?

Well, perhaps there is a historical explanation....

The MDW-STL route was formerly served by Chicago & Southern Air Lines (C&S) back when O'Hare had yet to open. Here are some representative southbound schedules from 1950....

CS 601: Chicago Midway 9:30a - 10:42a St. Louis 11:00a - 1:47p Houston Hobby
Op: Daily
Equip: "Lockheed Luxury CONSTELLATION"

CS 301: Chicago Midway 10:30a - 11:56a St. Louis 12:15p - 1:40p Memphis 2:15p - 4:07p New Orleans 5:30p - 10:00p Havana 10:50p - 1:35a Kingston (Palisadoes) 2:05a - 7:00a Caracas (Marquetia)
Equip: "Douglas Skymaster" (DC-4)
Name of flight: "The Caribbean Comet"

Delta then acquired C&S in the early 1950's and operated as "Delta C&S" for a few years before dropping the "C&S" from its name. Here are some representative Delta C&S southbound scheds from 1953.....

DL 601: Chicago Midway 10:30a -11:42a St. Louis 12:00n - 1:46p Houston Hobby
Equip: "NEW LUXURY CONSTELLATION"
Name of flight: "The Houstonian"

DL 501: Chicago Midway 3:45p - 4:57p St. Louis 5:17p (CDT) - 5:29p (CST) Memphis 6:00p - 7:33p New Orleans 8:25p - 12:10a Havana 12:40a - 2:46a Kingston 3:17a - 7:00a Caracas
Equip: "NEW LUXURY CONSTELLATION"
Name of flight: "The Caribbean Comet"

By 1960, Delta was operating quite a few flights from Midway including service operated with DC-7 equipment. Here's a CV-440 southbound "milk run" example from 1960.....

DL 453: Chicago Midway 2:40p - 4:03p St. Louis 4:28p - 5:55p Little Rock 6:10p - 7:07p Shreveport 7:25p - 8:05p Alexandria 8:17p - 8:51p Baton Rouge 9:01p - 9:26p New Orleans
Op: Daily MDW-SHV, Daily except Saturdays SHV-MSY
Equip: "Super Convair 440"

Delta then ceased serving Midway for a few years back during the mid 1960's but was back at MDW in 1969 with one daily departure....

DL 559: Chicago Midway 11:20a - 12:13p St. Louis 12:34p - 1:24p Memphis 1:45p - 2:44p New Orleans
Equip: "JET DC-9" (DC-9-10)

And that brings us to the timeline for our quiz item: 1976. Here are the northbound scheds.....

DL 562: Shreveport 7:30a - 8:18a Memphis 8:50a - 9:43a St. Louis 10:05a - 10:54a Chicago Midway
Equip: "JET D9S"

DL 770: Houston Intercontinental 5:47p - 7:21p St. Louis 7:41p - 8:30p Chicago Midway
Op: IAH-STL Daily; STL-MDW Daily except Saturdays
Equip: "JET D9S"

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 24, 16 at 6:17 pm Reason: DC-4 & CV-440 service
Old Mar 25, 16, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by jlemon View Post

24. It's 1970 and you are in Miami on a Friday night. The phone rings and you are requested to travel to Port of Spain, Trinidad (POS) for a meeting on Tuesday morning. However, you were also planning to travel the next day to San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU) for a birthday party on Sunday with an old sailing friend who lives in the Old Town area of San Juan. You discover that one airline can fly you to both destinations. Your first flight from Miami to San Juan makes three stops en route and only operates on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Your second flight from San Juan to Port of Spain makes six stops en route and operates on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Both flights are operated with the same aircraft type. Identify the airline, all of the stops between MIA-SJU and SJU-POS in the order in which they will be made and the equipment. ANSWERED

25. In 1971, senior management with Western Airlines began preparations to merge with another major air carrier. However, this merger never took place. What airline was Western planning to merge with at this time? Hint: the airline in question was not Braniff International or Continental

26. Also in 1971, this airline was operating flights three days a week from Djakarta to Bangkok with the service making an overnight stop in Singapore lasting over nine hours. The flight then continued on from Bangkok to its final destination with the same flight number being used for the entire flight. Name the air carrier and the aircraft type. And for bonus points, identify the final destination. Hint: aircraft type was a four engine jet

27. Once again in 1971, this air carrier was operating nonstop jet service once a week from Glasgow, Scotland to Vagar Airport in the Faroe Islands. Identify the airline and the equipment. Hint: this airline was not based in the U.K.
Good Friday All! It's a beautiful morning here and as you can see, we have just four unanswered quiz items left with hints included....

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 28, 16 at 5:17 pm Reason: answer updates
Old Mar 25, 16, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
24- I have almost no expectation of success with this guess, but I almost want to say we are talking about Air France with their island-hopping Caravelle

the problem is that I'm only able to come up with one stop in French territory (Port-au-Prince Haiti) between MIA and SJU, and three (St Martin, Pointe-a-Pitre Guadeloupe, and Fort de France Martinique) between SJU and POS

now if AF had fifth freedom rights in the Caribbean islands, Santo Domingo DR and Mayaguez PR are possible stops after PAP; downline we could add Antigua after SXM and Barbados after FDF, and maybe Tobago before POS
Old Mar 25, 16, 10:13 am

24- I have almost no expectation of success with this guess, but I almost want to say we are talking about Air France with their island-hopping Caravelle

the problem is that I'm only able to come up with one stop in French territory (Port-au-Prince Haiti) between MIA and SJU, and three (St Martin, Pointe-a-Pitre Guadeloupe, and Fort de France Martinique) between SJU and POS

now if AF had fifth freedom rights in the Caribbean islands, Santo Domingo DR and Mayaguez PR are possible stops after PAP; downline we could add Antigua after SXM and Barbados after FDF, and maybe Tobago before POS
24. This is a great guess! However, the airline was not Air France nor was the equipment a Caravelle.

On the plus side of the column, the first flight from MIA to SJU did stop in Port Au Prince while the second flight from SJU to POS stopped in Antigua, Guadeloupe and Barbados. And this second flight did not stop in Martinique.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 25, 16 at 11:32 am Reason: Correction - second flight did not stop in Martinique.
Old Mar 25, 16, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

24- I'll hazard another guess at the routings:

MIA-SJU
  1. Montego Bay (MBJ)
  2. Kingston (KIN)
  3. Port Au Prince (PAP)
SJU-POS
  1. St Thomas (STT)
  2. St Croix (STX)
  3. St Martin / St Maarten (SXM)
  4. Antigua (ANU)
  5. Pointe-a-Pitre (PTP)
  6. Barbados (BGI)

now concerning the operator and the equipment ... the only other thing in my faded memory banks is Leeward Islands Air Transport (LIAT) with a BAC One-Eleven

however ... other than the fact that I don't believe they ever went west of SJU ... they weren't a U.S. flagged carrier, so I'm not sure they could have even taken "conditional stopover" passengers MIA-SJU
Old Mar 25, 16, 12:44 pm

MIA-SJU
  1. Montego Bay (MBJ) Correct!
  2. Kingston (KIN) Correct!
  3. Port Au Prince (PAP) Correct!
SJU-POS
  1. St Thomas (STT) Correct!
  2. St Croix (STX) Correct!
  3. St Martin / St Maarten (SXM) Guess again!
  4. Antigua (ANU) Correct! However, this was not the fourth stop...
  5. Pointe-a-Pitre (PTP) Correct! However, this was not the fifth stop...
  6. Barbados (BGI) Correct!

now concerning the operator and the equipment ... the only other thing in my faded memory banks is Leeward Islands Air Transport (LIAT) with a BAC One-Eleven

however ... other than the fact that I don't believe they ever went west of SJU ... they weren't a U.S. flagged carrier, so I'm not sure they could have even taken "conditional stopover" passengers MIA-SJU
24. Great job thus far on the routing! You've only missed one island destination and the order in which the stops were made is just a bit off on the flight from SJU to POS.

However, this was not the "Leave Island Any Time" a.k.a. "Luggage In Another Terminal" airline (LIAT) and the equipment was not a stretched BAC One-Eleven series 500. To the best of my knowledge, LIAT never operated the One-Eleven 500 any further north and west than San Juan in the Caribbean (paging WHBM).

And now it's time for a Cajun Bloody Mary on a beautiful afternoon (with lots of contrails overhead) before I jump on lil' tractor and mow the lawn......

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 25, 16 at 4:45 pm Reason: impending yard work event notification ("yes, dear, I'll get right on that....")
Old Mar 27, 16, 1:56 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
24. Great job thus far on the routing! You've only missed one island destination and the order in which the stops were made is just a bit off on the flight from SJU to POS.

However, this was not the "Leave Island Any Time" a.k.a. "Luggage In Another Terminal" airline (LIAT) and the equipment was not a stretched BAC One-Eleven series 500. To the best of my knowledge, LIAT never operated the One-Eleven 500 any further north and west than San Juan in the Caribbean (paging WHBM).

And now it's time for a Cajun Bloody Mary on a beautiful afternoon (with lots of contrails overhead) before I jump on lil' tractor and mow the lawn......

MIA-SJU
  1. Montego Bay (MBJ)
  2. Kingston (KIN)
  3. Port Au Prince (PAP)
SJU-POS
  1. St Thomas (STT)
  2. St Croix (STX)
  3. St Martin / St Maarten (SXM)
  4. Antigua (ANU)
  5. Pointe-a-Pitre (PTP)
  6. Barbados (BGI)

I will guess BWIA on a 727-100.

Since they were based in POS, the terminating point from San Juan, I will guess the following routing:

1.St Thomas (STT)
2.St Croix (STX)
3.Antigua (ANU)
4.Pointe-a-Pitre (PTP)
5.St. Lucia (UVF)
6.Barbados (BGI)
Old Mar 27, 16, 2:19 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
25.In 1971, senior management with Western Airlines began preparations to merge with another major air carrier. However, this merger never took place. What airline was Western planning to merge with at this time?
How about Braniff? They would complement the Western's routes in the USA with the Mid-South and South America routes of Braniff.
Old Mar 27, 16, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by teddybear99 View Post

Since they were based in POS, the terminating point from San Juan, I will guess the following routing:

1.St Thomas (STT)
2.St Croix (STX)
3.Antigua (ANU)
4.Pointe-a-Pitre (PTP)
5.St. Lucia (UVF)
6.Barbados (BGI)
24. An excellent guess! And all of your island destinations are correct. However, the air carrier was not BWIA and one of the airports you've listed by its three letter code is incorrect. Also note the hint above: aircraft was a twin engine jet. Please guess again!

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 27, 16 at 7:43 am Reason: hint
Old Mar 27, 16, 6:37 am

How about Braniff? They would complement the Western's routes in the USA with the Mid-South and South America routes of Braniff.
25. Alas, it was not Braniff International. It was another major U.S. air carrier.
Old Mar 27, 16, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level

1.St Thomas (STT)
2.St Croix (STX)
3.Antigua (ANU)
4.Pointe-a-Pitre (PTP)
5.St. Lucia (UVF)
6.Barbados (BGI)
Originally Posted by jlemon
24. An excellent guess! And all of your island destinations are correct. However, the air carrier was not BWIA and one of the airports you've listed by its three letter code is incorrect. Also note the hint above: aircraft was a twin engine jet. Please guess again!
1970, twin engine jet, not an Air France Caravelle given the stops at STT or STX... I think this leaves only Caribair with a DC-9-30.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 27, 16 at 5:26 pm
Old Mar 27, 16, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nice tap-in
Old Mar 28, 16, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
1970, twin engine jet, not an Air France Caravelle given the stops at STT or STX... I think this leaves only Caribair with a DC-9-30.
24. Well, what took you so long, Seat 2A? You are correct, sir!

Here are the complete southbound scheds....

CB 901: Miami (MIA) 14:45 - 16:05p Montego Bay (MBJ) 16:30 - 16:57 Kingston (KIN) 17:20 - 18:15 Port Au Prince (PAP) 18:35 - 20:40 San Juan (SJU) 21:10 - 21:40 St. Croix (STX) 22:00 - 23:30 Port of Spain (POS)
Op: Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays only
Equip: DC-9-30

CB 921: San Juan (SJU) 16:30 - 16:55 St. Thomas (STT) 17:15 - 17:35 St. Croix (STX) 18:00 - 18:40 Antigua (ANU) 19:00 - 19:25 Pointe-a-Pitre (PTP) 19:45 - 20:20 St. Lucia (SLU) 20:40 - 21:15 Barbados (BGI) 21:35 - 22:17 Port of Spain (POS)
Op: Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays only
Equip: DC-9-30

Note that Caribair 921 served Vigie Airport (SLU) on St. Lucia very near the capital of Castries and thus not Hewanorra Airport (UVF) located on the southeast side of the island. I've visited SLU and it is an interesting little airport with no jet service these days, only turboprop and prop aircraft.

I also think that "CB" was the two letter code for Caribair....but am not completely sure.

I do know that Carirbair had retired their Convair 640 turboprops by this time in 1970 and were thus an all jet air carrier operating the D9S. I also believe Carbair was the only jet airline operating scheduled passenger services ever to be based in San Juan.

"Only CARIBAIR Goes All The Way!"

And please forgive the lateness of my response. I've been under the weather, health-wise, but am now slowly recuperating.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 28, 16 at 5:54 pm Reason: additional info

Search this Thread
Search Engine: