Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
5. Delta named their first DC-9-10. What was the name given to this aircraft? Hint: think "royalty"

I was unaware Delta named its aircraft except for the occasional special exception such as "Spirit of Delta". That said, a royal name you say...

How about "Delta Queen"?

The DC-9 seems a bit small to have "Queen" status bestowed upon it but what the heck - it's a starting point...
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:44 pm

5. Delta named their first DC-9-10. What was the name given to this aircraft? Hint: think "royalty"

The DC-9-10 was the "Crown Prince." Earlier Delta had given their DC-8s the name "Royal Jet." Both part of the "Royal Family of Douglas Jets."
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
5. Delta named their first DC-9-10. What was the name given to this aircraft?

19. Delta named their first Convair 880. What was the name of this aircraft?

Several good guesses above so I'll go ahead and close these two out......

It appears Delta assigned specific names only to the first Convair 880 as well as the first DC-9-10 delivered to the airline.

According to historical information contained in the Delta website (under the Delta Museum section), here are the names:

Convair 880-22 (N8801E) - "Delta Queen"

Douglas DC-9-14 (N3304L) - "Delta Prince"

And BTW, Delta's first DC-8 did not have a "royal" name:

Douglas DC-8-11 (N801E) - "Pride of Delta"

According to Delta, this aircraft was the 14th DC-8 off the production line and flew the world's first scheduled DC-8 passenger flight on Sept. 18, 1959 from New York Idlewild to Atlanta.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 14, 2016 at 8:36 am Reason: additional info - DC-8
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I have this vague recollection that Delta's first 747 was named the "Georgia Belle". Any of the cognoscenti know anything about this?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I have this vague recollection that Delta's first 747 was named the "Georgia Belle". Any of the cognoscenti know anything about this?
Yep, you are correct, sir:

Boeing 747-132 (N9896) - "Georgia Belle"

First scheduled passenger flight took place on Oct. 25, 1970 from Atlanta to Dallas to Los Angeles.

This upper deck on this aircraft was equipped with not one but two premium passenger lounges which were configured side by side.

There was a first class lounge with six seats that was open to all front cabin passengers.

And there was also a "Delta 747 Private Penthouse" configured with a four seats and a couch that could be booked for up to six passengers for a minimum of "five equivalent one way fares" for one to five passengers and "six equivalent one way fares" for a party of six. It had its own galley, bar and lavatory.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 14, 2016 at 1:52 pm
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

10. In 1968, two Canadian-based airlines were operating Vickers Viscount turboprop aircraft. One was Air Canada. Name the other air carrier. Hints: it was not Quebecair. And the air carrier in question did not serve Toronto (YYZ) at this time.

16. It's 1969 and you are in Philadelphia. You need to get to Dallas and have discovered a flight departing at 9:25am that will get you into Love Field at 3:31pm. Five (5) intermediate stops will be made en route. Identify the airline you'll be flying on, the aircraft type and all five stops in the order in which they will be made. Hints: the airline was not AA and this flight did not stop at DCA, BNA, MEM, LIT or OKC. In addition, the aircraft was not a 727 - it was actually a DC9.

18. I previously asked this question awhile back and never got a complete answer. So here we go again: In the spring of 1969, Braniff International was operating six (6) specific nonstop routes with Boeing 707-320C equipment between the mainland U.S. and the state of Hawaii. None of the flights were operated on a daily basis. One of these nonstop routes was Dallas Love Field - Honolulu. Identify the other five nonstop routes by their specific city pairs and airport codes. Hint: HNL was not the only destination in Hawaii as ITO was served as well.
I've added a few more hints above.......and all now ANSWERED.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 19, 2016 at 5:52 pm Reason: Answer updates.....
Old Mar 15, 2016, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

22. A 1966 Pacific Air Lines route map depicted nonstop jet service operated with the 727 from Lake Tahoe to three destinations. Name all three. Hints: Two of the destinations were in California while the third was in another state.
And we are still looking for an answer to this quiz item.....and now ANSWERED as well.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 19, 2016 at 5:53 pm Reason: answer update
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

22. A 1966 Pacific Air Lines route map depicted nonstop jet service operated with the 727 from Lake Tahoe to three destinations. Name all three.
Hints: Two of the destinations were in California while the third was in another state.

Well I'll have a go at it - Let's go with Los Angeles, San Francisco and Reno. Reno's a bit weird, being so close, but I don't think Las Vegas was being served with 727s at the time.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
16. It's 1969 and you are in Philadelphia. You need to get to Dallas and have discovered a flight departing at 9:25am that will get you into Love Field at 3:31pm. Five (5) intermediate stops will be made en route. Identify the airline you'll be flying on, the aircraft type and all five stops in the order in which they will be made. Hints: the airline was not AA and this flight did not stop at DCA, BNA, MEM, LIT or OKC. In addition, the aircraft was not a 727 - it was actually a DC9.
"DC9" narrows the field to Delta and Eastern, since I can't place either TW or AL at DAL, nor SO at PHL ... I'll vote for DL, nonstop PHL-ATL and then a milk run across the south

[2]- Birmingham (BHM)
[3]- Jackson (JAN)
[4]- Monroe (MLU)
[5]- Shreveport (SHV)
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

22. A 1966 Pacific Air Lines route map depicted nonstop jet service operated with the 727 from Lake Tahoe to three destinations. Name all three.
Hints: Two of the destinations were in California while the third was in another state.

Well I'll have a go at it - Let's go with Los Angeles, San Francisco and Reno. Reno's a bit weird, being so close, but I don't think Las Vegas was being served with 727s at the time.
22. Here we go.....

Los Angeles (LAX) - Guess again!

San Francisco (SFO) - Correct!

Reno (RNO) - Correct!

And last call for this quiz item as well as the other unanswered ones. I provide the answers tomorrow if there are no takers and then submit a new batch concerning the 1970's this weekend......

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 17, 2016 at 7:04 am Reason: last call!
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
"DC9" narrows the field to Delta and Eastern, since I can't place either TW or AL at DAL, nor SO at PHL ... I'll vote for DL, nonstop PHL-ATL and then a milk run across the south

[2]- Birmingham (BHM)
[3]- Jackson (JAN)
[4]- Monroe (MLU)
[5]- Shreveport (SHV)
16. Delta operating a DC9-10 is correct!

Here's how you did concerning the routing....

Philadelphia (PHL)
1) Atlanta (ATL)
2) Birmingham (BHM)
3) Meridian (MEI)
4) Jackson (JAN)
5) Shreveport (SHV)
Dallas Love (DAL)

So we are only looking for one more stop here.

Plus, here's a bonus item concerning the DC9-10 as initially operated by Delta in 1965:

23. How many seats did this aircraft have in first class? And how many seats were there in coach?

16. The missing destination we were looking for is Meridian, Mississippi (MEI). Here's the complete sched.....

DL 529: Philadelphia (PHL) 9:25a - 11:08a Atlanta (ATL) 12:12p (EDT) - 11:50a (CDT) Birmingham (BHM) 12:08p - 12:43p Meridian (MEI) 1:00p - 1:24p Jackson (JAN) 1:45p - 2:31p Shreveport (SHV) 2:50p - 3:31p Dallas Love (DAL)
Op: Daily
Equip: "JET DC-9" (DC-9-10)
Meal service: Breakfast PHL-ATL

And I'll let quiz item 23 sit out there awhile longer......

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 19, 2016 at 5:32 pm Reason: answer update
Old Mar 19, 2016, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10. In 1968, two Canadian-based airlines were operating Vickers Viscount turboprop aircraft. One was Air Canada. Name the other air carrier.

18. I previously asked this question awhile back and never got a complete answer. So here we go again: In the spring of 1969, Braniff International was operating six (6) specific nonstop routes with Boeing 707-320C equipment between the mainland U.S. and the state of Hawaii. None of the flights were operated on a daily basis. One of these nonstop routes was Dallas Love Field - Honolulu. Identify the other five nonstop routes by their specific city pairs and airport codes.
Time to bat these away, I think.....

10. The airline was Winnipeg-based Transair (TZ) which in 1968 was operating the Vickers Viscount (as well as Douglas DC-4 aircraft) between Winnipeg and such exotic locations as Churchill, Dauphin, Flin Flon, Lynn Lake, The Pas and Thompson in Manitoba province. As we've previously discussed, Transair went on to operate Boeing 737-200 and Fokker F28 jet equipment before being acquired by Pacific Western Airlines.

18. Besides Dallas Love Field (DAL) - Honolulu (HNL) the other five nonstop city pairs were:

* Dallas Love Field (DAL) - Hilo (ITO)
* Houston Hobby Airport (HOU) - Honolulu (HNL)
* Houston Hobby Airport (HOU) - Hilo (ITO)
* St. Louis (STL) - Honolulu (HNL)
* St. Louis (STL) - Hilo (ITO)

All flights were operated with Boeing 707-320C (B3F) equipment. Here are the complete westbound scheds......

BN 501: Miami (MIA) 9:45a - 11:37a Dallas Love (DAL) 12:30p - 4:23p Honolulu (HNL)
Op: Mondays only
Equip: B3F
Note: No local traffic MIA-DFW, stopover traffic permitted

BN 501: New Orleans (MSY) 10:30am - 11:49a Dallas Love (DAL) 12:30p - 4:15p Hilo (ITO) 4:45p - 5:30p Honolulu (HNL)
Op: Tuesdays only
Note: No local traffic MSY-DAL, stopover traffic permitted. No local or stopover traffic permitted ITO-HNL

BN 501: Dallas Love (DAL) 12:30p - 4:23p Honolulu (HNL)
Op: Wednesdays only

BN 501: New Orleans (MSY) 10:30a - 11:49a Dallas Love (DAL) 12:30p - 4:23p Honolulu (HNL)
Op: Thursdays and Saturdays only
Note: No local traffic MSY-DAL, stopover traffic permitted

BN 501: Houston Hobby (HOU) 10:45a - 11:39a Dallas Love (DAL) 12:30p - 4:23p Honolulu (HNL)
Op: Fridays and Sundays only
Note: Local traffic permitted HOU-DAL

BN 503: Atlanta (ATL) 11:30a - 11:55a St. Louis (STL) 12:30p - 5:05p Honolulu (HNL)
Op: Daily except on Thursdays
Note: No local traffic ATL-STL, stopover traffic permitted

BN 503: Atlanta (ATL) 11:30a - 11:55a St. Louis (STL) 12:30p - 4:50p Hilo (ITO) 5:20p - 6:05p Honolulu (HNL)
Op: Thursdays only
Note: No local traffic ATL-STL, stopover traffic permitted. No local or stopover traffic permitted ITO-HNL

BN 505: Miami (MIA) 9:45a - 11:11a Houston Hobby (HOU) 11:45a - 3:45p Honolulu (HNL)
Op: Thursdays only
Note: No local traffic MIA-HOU, stopover traffic permitted

BN 505: Miami (MIA) 9:45a - 11:11a Houston Hobby (HOU) 11:45a - 3:30p Hilo (ITO) 4:00p - 4:45p Honolulu (HNL)
Op: Saturdays only
Note: No local traffic MIA-HOU, stopover traffic permitted. No local or stopover traffic permitted ITO-HNL

It also appears that all segments were operated with Boeing 707-320C equipment including ATL-STL, MIA-DAL, MIA-HOU, MSY-DAL and HOU-DAL according to the April 14, 1969 Braniff International system timetable.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

22. As previously noted, San Francisco (SFO) and Reno (RNO) are correct.

The third nonstop destination served by Pacific Air Lines with the 727 from Lake Tahoe (TVL) was San Jose (SJC). It appears the actual routing of this flight was RNO-TVL-SJC-LAX.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:17 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Time to bat these away, I think.....

10. The airline was Winnipeg-based Transair (TZ) which in 1968 was operating the Vickers Viscount (as well as Douglas DC-4 aircraft) between Winnipeg and such exotic locations as Churchill, Dauphin, Flin Flon, Lynn Lake, The Pas and Thompson in Manitoba province. As we've previously discussed, Transair went on to operate Boeing 737-200 and Fokker F28 jet equipment before being acquired by Pacific Western Airlines.
Trans-Air or Trans-Canada Air?

Here is a picture of Trans-Canada Air's Viscount:

https://www.planespotters.net/photo/...s-viscount-700
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddybear99
Trans-Air or Trans-Canada Air?

Here is a picture of Trans-Canada Air's Viscount:

https://www.planespotters.net/photo/...s-viscount-700
Transair. The time line for this quiz item is 1968. Trans-Canada Air Lines (TCA) changed its name to Air Canada in 1965. So in 1968, Air Canada and Transair were both operating Vickers Viscount propjets. Viscount service is listed in the July 1, 1968 Transair (TZ) system timetable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.