Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

88. You are in Fairbanks, Alaska and need to fly across the border to Whitehorse in Canada’s Yukon Territory. Four years earlier, yours truly flew this route aboard a Wien 737-200. How times have changed! These days a different airline offers a single daily nonstop between FAI and YXY. Identify the airline and the aircraft used.
88. Air North operating a Douglas DC-3.

And thanks for the beautiful photos taken en route to BNE! They remind me of my many trips over the Caribbean beginning in the mid 1980's on the likes of American, American Eagle, Cayman Airways, Continental, Delta, Eastern, Eastern Express, LIAT and Northwest.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 19, 2016 at 9:47 am
Old Feb 19, 2016, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Good morning from 38,003 feet above Colombo, Sri Lanka. I've recently awoken from a six hour slumber here aboard Emirates' A380 A6-EDB. Time for a cuppa coffee and a spin on the inflight internet. Like many inflight internets, this one is mighty slow. It's taken me three tries and a good amount of patience to watch and wait over the past twenty minutes for this page to load. If I've missed a response from the preceding page, please bear with me until we land in Dubai. Hopefully there'll be a better connection there. Unfortunately a mysterious problem resulted in no internet service in Emirates’ Brisbane lounge.

In any event, I thought it'd be fun to actually post from on high, especially from a corner of the world so exotic as this. What a shame that it's always dark when I traverse this he world. My many flights between Hong Kong and Johannesburg used to fly almost exactly over where we are now and - like now in the wee hours of the morning local time - it's always nice to wake up to coffee and a small pastry while freshly revived and looking forward to another 4-7 hours of flying.

Most everyone around me is still sleeping, as many of the appear to have been through much of the flight. Perhaps they've all popped Ambiens or some such sleep aid. Me - I appreciate the rest but the fact is I'm sitting here in the lap of luxury, comfortably ensconced in a $120,000 high tech suite while being wined and dined like a plutocrat or otherwise looked after like royalty. It's an experienced best savored while conscious.

But enough of my plight. On to the response!

Originally Posted by jlemon
88. You are in Fairbanks, Alaska and need to fly across the border to Whitehorse in Canada’s Yukon Territory. Four years earlier, yours truly flew this route aboard a Wien 737-200. How times have changed! These days a different airline offers a single daily nonstop between FAI and YXY. Identify the airline and the aircraft used.

Air North operating a Douglas DC-3.

Right airline, wrong aircraft. At least in 1987 per the schedule I reference it is. Fact is Air North operated DC-3s on the Whitehorse - Dawson City - Fairbanks run all through the nineties and a fair ways into the aughts. However, for the timing of this question we're looking for a different aircraft... Care to hazard another guess as to its type?
Attached Images  

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 19, 2016 at 7:59 pm
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[off topic]

Originally Posted by WHBM
..., of course there's a lot of Old Britain that I recognise, although the smaller cars which were notably British ones seem to have finally disappeared from the roads. Australia always built large cars, but until the 1970s it seems the usual smaller ones were Morris, MG, etc, imported from Britain.
BMC and it various incarnations made cars in Zetland, Sydney, and in other places, until about 1982. Some were the exactly same as UK and others were variations. Want a 6 cylinder (in line) 2 door Marina or a Mini Moke (1275cc & 12" wheels). Even the Mini K (for Kangaroo) was a little different to UK.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...28Australia%29

[/off topic]
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:44 pm

78. Nine airlines offer nonstop service between New York and London. Identify the six which fly into Heathrow and the three which fly into Gatwick.
I am assuming that EWR counts as New York.

LHR: American Airlines, Air India, British Airways, Kuwait Airways, TWA, United Airlines

LGW: British Caledonia, Continental (after 2/1987), PeoplExpress (until 2/1987), Delta
Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Indelaware
78. Nine airlines offer nonstop service between New York and London. Identify the six which fly into Heathrow and the three which fly into Gatwick.

I am assuming that EWR counts as New York.

LHR: American Airlines, Air India, British Airways, Kuwait Airways, TWA, United Airlines

LGW: British Caledonia, Continental (after 2/1987), PeoplExpress (until 2/1987), Delta

The International OAG I used to reference this question dates a bit after February of 1987. Keeping that in mind, here is a listing of your correct responses... (And yes indeed, EWR definitely counts as a New York airport)

London Heathrow LHR

Air India
British Airways
Kuwait Airways
TWA

United didn't purchase its way into London until 1991 or thereabouts, and American doesn't show in my schedules at all. You'll be surprised at one of the airlines you missed. The other has also been on the LHR-JFK route for some time...

London Gatwick LGW

British Caledonian
Continental

Two down, one to go. Again, the one you missed may surprise you...
Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This new batch of questions focuses on schedules from the 1980s.

Over the course of our last batch of questions, the OTAQ&D thread had over 10000 hits. The interest is certainly out there. Thanks again to all of our core participants and welcome aboard to any and all who care to step in and attempt an answer or two.

While our core participants are all familiar with this by now, I would like to reiterate that we please limit our responses to no more than two or three questions at a time so that any and all – be they first time participants or regulars - might have an equal opportunity to participate.

BTW, though rare - mistakes occasionally happen. Please feel free to speak up. If, for example, I've said there are eight Canadian cities receiving nonstop flights from London and you think there are nine, I'm happy to check my schedules for you, up to and including transcribing or photographing those schedules. Keep in mind that I am limited to the schedules I have available. For example, an autumn schedule I'm referencing may not reflect a flight operated on a seasonal winter schedule.

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING 35 QUESTIONS IS 1987

46. You are enjoying the sand and surf in sunny Nassau when the boss calls and says he needs you to fly up to cloudy Akron, Ohio A.S.A.P. Turning to your trusty pocket flight guide, you’re surprised and delighted to discover that a single two stop direct flight is offered in this market. Identify the airline, the aircraft utilized and the two enroute stops you’ll make along the way

47. During the latter half of 1987 only one airline was operating scheduled nonstop flights between Canada and San Juan, Puerto Rico. Flights operated twice weekly from a single Canadian city, but with a different aircraft type each day. Identify the airline, the Canadian city it departed from and the two different aircraft types operated on the route.

48. Following yet another hectic commute into the city on the Long Island Expressway, you’re pleasantly surprised when you find a message on your answering machine from an old business associate asking if you can join her for a weekend of sunshine and golf at the exclusive Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia. A quick call to your travel agent reveals a thrice weekly jet flight from JFK into the nearby airport at Greenbrier (LWB). Identify the airline and the aircraft used on this flight.

49. If you wanted to fly out of Bakersfield, California aboard a McDonnell-Douglas DC-9-10, only one airline fits the bill with a single daily flight. Identify that airline and the city you’d be flying to.

50. Passengers flying between Miami and Key West, Florida in 1987 have an enviable choice of flights. Two airlines offer jet flights while another offers piston powered propeller driven flights. Identify each airline and its respective aircraft operated.

51. Five airlines operate mainline jet service between Long Island’s MacArthur Airport (ISP) and the three Washington DC area airports. Three airlines serve Washington Dulles (IAD), one serves Washington National (DCA) and one serves Baltimore (BWI). Identify each airline and the airport it serves.

52. You’ve just won a porcupine grooming contest in Fredericksburg, Virginia! Awright!! Your prize: a pair of new gloves and a long weekend at the Hilton Rose Hall in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Unfortunately your prize doesn’t include airfare from your home in Alexandria, Virginia to Jamaica. Well, dang! Further complicating your travel plans is that your wife refuses to fly on Air Jamaica. It’s a long story… Imagine then your surprise and delight upon discovering an airline that flies nonstop between Washington Dulles and Montego Bay twice weekly on Thursdays and Sundays. The southbound flight on Thursday is operated in an all economy configuration while the northbound flight on Sunday uses a different aircraft type and offers both First Class and Coach. Identify the airline and the respective aircraft it employs on each flight.

54. At present the Seattle to Portland route is served by Alaska/Horizon, Delta and United. Turboprops handle 80% of the flights. Back in 1987 there were 13 airlines operating mainline jet equipment on this 129 mile route. How many of them can you identify?
PARTIALLY ANSWERED All but one has been identified. See posts #8425 and 8428

55. Fresh off a snowy week of work in Edmonton, Alberta, you’ve been informed that your next assignment lies south of the border – two borders, in fact – way down yonder in sunny Monterrey, Mexico. Fully expecting a convoluted itinerary involving multiple connections, you’re flabbergasted when your travel department informs you that there’s a direct flight making three enroute stops from Edmonton all the way down to Monterrey. Additionally there’s a change of equipment at the first stop, from a smaller aircraft to a larger one. Identify the airline, the enroute stops and the two aircraft to be flown along the way.

56. For a time in 1987, this airline operated the only direct, one stop service between Palm Springs, CA and Vancouver, BC. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.
HINT: It wasn't Western but it was operated with a twinjet

57. In 1987 there were three cities in the state of Nevada that benefitted from scheduled jet flights. Identify the three cities and the single airline that served all three of them.
HINT: It wasn't United...

58. Only one airline offered a flight into Belfast, Northern Ireland aboard a 727-200. What airline was it?

59. Back in 1969, Darwin, Australia was well served from Sydney with five nonstop flights per week, all of them operated with 707s from either BOAC or Qantas. In late 1987, passengers desiring to fly between SYD and DRW had a choice of two flights per week operated by a single airline. Identify the airline and the aircraft used.
HINT: It wasn't Qantas

60. When it comes to travel from England, Canada is well served with eight cities receiving nonstop flights from London. Identify each Canadian city and the airline(s) providing nonstop service to it from London.

61. A thorough perusal of the OAG has revealed six airlines that operated L-1011-500s into London in 1987. How many can you identify?
A N S W E R E D

62. The only nonstop service between Gran Canaria in the Canary Islands and London Gatwick is via a single weekly 767 flight. Identify the airline.

63. Three airlines each operate a single daily flight between Boston and London. Each flight is operated with a different widebodied jetliner, each built by a different manufacturer. Identify each airline and the respective widebody it flew.

64. There were three trans-Atlantic routes between the U.S. and London that were flown with 767s. Identify the routes and the airline(s) that flew them.
A N S W E R E D

65. This airline operates more 727-200s into London Heathrow than any other.

66. Identify the four airlines that operated nonstop 747 flights between Miami and London

67. All but two of the multitude of flights being operated between New York JFK/EWR and London by nine different airlines are operated with 747s. Identify the other two aircraft types you’ll find on this route and which airline(s) operated them.
HINT: One of the aircraft was an L-1011

68. Baghdad was a veritable hotbed of activity for fans of Boeing 707s. Indelaware and I have found eight airlines that operated scheduled 707 flights into Baghdad as of late 1987. Can you identify them?
PARTIALLY ANSWEREDAll but three have been identified. See post #8454

70. You’ve just spent a week in Hawaii. It’s been fun but, with a week left in your vacation you’d like to go somewhere a bit less touristy. But only a bit. How about Tahiti? Consulting your trusty OAG, you discover not one, not two but THREE airlines that offer nonstop service between Honolulu and Papeete. Identify each airline and the respective aircraft it operated on this route.

72. A thorough perusal of the OAG reveals nonstop service into Honolulu from fifteen different airports located on islands. Yes – this question has been asked before, but covering a different time period and, as the saying goes, times have changed. Can you identify the fifteen airports?
PARTIALLY ANSWEREDAll but two have been identified. See post #8424

73. Egyptair operated a one stop flight twice a week between Cairo and New York JFK. Where was the enroute stop made and what type of aircraft was used?

75. This airline operated an L-1011 every day except Tuesday and Thursday between Brussels and New York JFK. Which airline is it?

76. Identify the two U.S. airlines that flew between New York JFK and Oslo GEN (Gardermoen)

77. A planned ski vacation in the Catskills is rudely interrupted when you receive a call on Friday afternoon informing you that your services are required in Monrovia, Liberia. As soon as possible, please. Right. A quick call to your company travel department reveals a First Class seat is available aboard this airline’s once weekly nonstop service, departing JFK on Saturday afternoon. Identify the airline and the equipment used.

A N S W E R E D

79. You’ve got business in Birmingham (BHX). Resigned to making a connection in either Heathrow or Gatwick, you’re surprised to find that there’s a once weekly direct (one-stop) flight departing New York’s Newark Airport every Friday evening. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the aircraft and the intermediate stop.

80. Three South American airlines fly DC-8-61/71s or DC-8-63/73s into Miami. Identify each airline and which South American airport each flies into Miami from.

81. If you were to fly into Orlando on a DC-8-61/63 operated by a foreign carrier, which airline would you be flying on and from which foreign airport would your flight have originated?

82. Per the 1987 schedule I reference for these questions, one airline operated three different types of widebody jets - each built by a different manufacturer - into Montego Bay, Jamaica. Identify that airline and the three types it operated into MBJ.

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1983

86. Laredo, Texas enjoyed twice daily (except Saturday) jet service with nonstop flights from this single city. Identify the city, the airline and the aircraft operating these flights.

PARTIALLY ANSWEREDAir North has been identified as the airline of record. Now all we need is the aircraft type. It wasn't a DC-3, a DC4 or an HS-748

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 21, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
78-
(a) wasn't Pan Am still operating JFK-LHR in mid- to late 1987?
(b) I think Virgin Atlantic had started their EWR-LGW service a couple years earlier, not sure if they were at JFK yet
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
PARTIALLY ANSWEREDAll but three have been identified. See post #8345

(a) Wasn't Pan Am still operating JFK-LHR in mid- to late 1987?
(b) I think Virgin Atlantic had started their EWR-LGW service a couple years earlier, not sure if they were at JFK yet

Somebody ate their Wheaties today! Pan Am is correct into Heathrow. Out of Newark Virgin Atlantic were operating 747s into Gatwick.

So now we're down to just one last airline on the JFK-LHR route. It operated a 747 at that time.

BTW J, I'm surprised you haven't yet come up with the final route for question 64, especially considering the flight departs from a city that serves a seafood delicacy that you're likely very familiar with...
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
Brisbane is where our Australian office is; I've always found it a very pleasant place, of course there's a lot of Old Britain that I recognise, although the smaller cars which were notably British ones seem to have finally disappeared from the roads.

Brisbane remains a very nice place though its growth continues at a seemingly rapid pace. I visited the Sherwood Arboretum and had a short visit to the King George Railway Station before returning to the airport. Unfortunately, I didn't get your excellent advice about the Southern Cross Museum until I was 30 some odd thousand feet over Sri Lanka. Next time!
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
BTW J, I'm surprised you haven't yet come up with the final route for question 64, especially considering the flight departs from a city that serves a seafood delicacy that you're likely very familiar with...
oh, but I did guess ... see Post 8415 above, over 48 hrs ago ...

64- SEA-PDX was Wien still extant in 1987? and if not, perhaps Frontier?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

61. A thorough perusal of the OAG has revealed six airlines that operated L-1011-500s into London in 1987. How many can you identify?
I can certainly guess six; whether they're the right ones remains to be seen:
  1. Air Canada
  2. Alia Royal Jordanian
  3. British
  4. Delta
  5. Pan Am
  6. TWA

67. All but two of the multitude of flights being operated between New York JFK/EWR and London by nine different airlines are operated with 747s. Identify the other two aircraft types you’ll find on this route and which airline(s) operated them.
I'll guess BCAL and CO ran DC-10s, and at least one of TWA's flights was with a TriStar

Last edited by jrl767; Feb 19, 2016 at 9:54 pm
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:13 pm

London Heathrow LHR

Air India
British Airways
El Al
Kuwait Airways
Pan Am
TWA

London Gatwick LGW

British Caledonian
Continental
Virgin Atlantic
Old Feb 20, 2016, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

56. For a time in 1987, this airline operated the only direct, one stop service between Palm Springs, CA and Vancouver, BC. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.

57. In 1987 there were three cities in the state of Nevada that benefitted from scheduled jet flights. Identify the three cities and the single airline that served all three of them.
HINT: It wasn't United...

PARTIALLY ANSWEREDAir North has been identified as the airline of record. Now all we need is the aircraft type. It wasn't a DC-3
56. Western operating a B727-200 with an en route stop at SFO.

BTW, Palm Springs remains a popular destination for western Canadians during the winter months. For example, at one point, CP Air operated a weekend only nonstop with a DC-10 YVR-PSP.

57. Wild guess time (and probably incorrect)......

Casino Express with B737-200 service into Elko, Las Vegas and Reno.

88. Hmmmmm.....well, it's probably either a recip or a turboprop, I think. Let's go with a DC-4 operated by Air North.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
oh, but I did guess ... see Post 8415 above, over 48 hrs ago ...
So you did, so you did... Good on ya!

54. At present the Seattle to Portland route is served by Alaska/Horizon, Delta and United. Turboprops handle 80% of the flights. Back in 1987 there were 13 airlines operating mainline jet equipment on this 129 mile route. How many of them can you identify?

Was Wien still extant in 1987? And if not, perhaps Frontier?

No, neither one of those. We're still looking for an airline based west of the Rockies...
Old Feb 20, 2016, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Indelaware

London Heathrow LHR

Air India
British Airways
El Al
Kuwait Airways
Pan Am
TWA

London Gatwick LGW

British Caledonian
Continental
Virgin Atlantic

Way to go, Indelaware! Correct on all counts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.