Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Apr 9, 12, 2:17 pm

Programs: All of them!
Liverpool/London service (1966) British Eagle, using Viscount aircraft. (this route from Starways)
Liverpool/IOM--Cambrian?
Old Apr 9, 12, 11:46 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Have to say that I regularly flew Vickers Viscount flights while commuting between HNL and LIH in the 1960s with AQ. These flights lasted less than 30 minutes long on the 700 series (I think they were called Viscount 745s). Some planes had built in air stairs at the front door. Other models had rear doors that were serviced via air stairs from the ground.
Old Apr 10, 12, 9:00 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
[I]
Alas, I never had the opportunity to fly on a Viscount....
I flew on a few of TCA's (Air Canada) Viscounts between YEG and YYC in 1962 -- I still remember the huge "picture windows". But my first experience as a passenger on a regularly scheduled flight was in 1958 on a TCA Lockheed Super Constellation YEG-YYZ. Been hooked ever since.
Old Apr 10, 12, 9:43 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Do any of you remember flying a DC6B equipped with sleeper bunks where today's overhead luggage bins are located? I know there were sleeper variants made, and I remember flying on Ecuatoriana in 1968 from GUY-MIA on what I think was a DC6B that had the bunks although I never saw them "in action." My notes say it was a DC7B but can't be correct because Ecuatoriana never had DC7s in its fleet as far as I know.
Old Apr 10, 12, 9:52 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by cs57 View Post
Liverpool/London service (1966) British Eagle, using Viscount aircraft. (this route from Starways)
Liverpool/IOM--Cambrian?
I'd add Aer Lingus (F.27) and Invicta (Viscount).
Old Apr 10, 12, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by miniliq View Post
Do any of you remember flying a DC6B equipped with sleeper bunks where today's overhead luggage bins are located? I know there were sleeper variants made, and I remember flying on Ecuatoriana in 1968 from GUY-MIA on what I think was a DC6B that had the bunks although I never saw them "in action." My notes say it was a DC7B but can't be correct because Ecuatoriana never had DC7s in its fleet as far as I know.
Ecuatoriana had four "Big Dougs" by 1968, two DC4, one DC6 and one DC6B (HC-AIO), although they were just making the transition to Electras. The DC6B came from the Miami secondhand pool and had last served with Mackey who ran local Caribbean routes where the bunks were unlikely to be required, so Ecuatoriana presumably installed them. They were common fittings on Transatlantic runs in the 1950s.

The other chance was it was an aircraft leased in, again from the Miami Mafia who dominated the Latin American used aircraft market, as well as maintenance and flight crews for the region. Panagra's DC7Bs, which by all accounts were some of the best-equipped there were, and immaculately maintained, had been recently retired at this time and were standing with the Miami dealers looking for work.
Old Apr 10, 12, 1:25 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, former CO Platinum Elite (sigh...)
Here's a quiz item for our good friends across the pond....

Name a hybrid aircraft that could takeoff and land like a helicopter but could also cruise like a turboprop (hint: this aircraft, which was designed for passenger service, was built and demonstrated in the U.K. many years before the Bell-Boeing V-22 "Osprey" was ever conceived)....
Old Apr 10, 12, 3:42 pm

Name a hybrid aircraft that could takeoff and land like a helicopter but could also cruise like a turboprop )....
And just a little supplementary - which US airliner had the same engines as this remarkable aircraft, and which mainstream US airline (mentioned above a few days ago) operated it.
Old Apr 10, 12, 5:49 pm

Here's a quiz item for our good friends across the pond....

Name a hybrid aircraft that could takeoff and land like a helicopter but could also cruise like a turboprop (hint: this aircraft, which was designed for passenger service, was built and demonstrated in the U.K. many years before the Bell-Boeing V-22 "Osprey" was ever conceived)....
[And just a little supplementary - which US airliner had the same engines as this remarkable aircraft, and which mainstream US airline (mentioned above a few days ago) operated it.]

"friends across the pond" -- I'm across Lake Pontchartrain -- does that count?

Anyway, the hybrid was the Fairey Rotodyne, with tip-jets on the main rotor for VTOL, and two Napier-Eland turboprops for level flight. These turboprops were incorporated into Convair 540's for Allegheny, but didn't last long as I understand.
Old Apr 11, 12, 12:05 am

Anyway, the hybrid was the Fairey Rotodyne, with tip-jets on the main rotor for VTOL, and two Napier-Eland turboprops for level flight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9633v6U0wo

It was defeated by the excessive noise of the tip-jets (seemingly suppressed in the film). I never saw it, but remember as a kid it regularly appeared in British TV news clips and similar. The Fairey factory was a couple of miles to the north of Heathrow airport, and the Napier engine factory (for those who remember Allegheny's handful of CV540s) just a couple of miles further on, in Acton.

Last edited by WHBM; Apr 11, 12 at 3:53 am
Old Apr 11, 12, 8:31 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, former CO Platinum Elite (sigh...)
[And just a little supplementary - which US airliner had the same engines as this remarkable aircraft, and which mainstream US airline (mentioned above a few days ago) operated it.]

"friends across the pond" -- I'm across Lake Pontchartrain -- does that count?

Anyway, the hybrid was the Fairey Rotodyne, with tip-jets on the main rotor for VTOL, and two Napier-Eland turboprops for level flight. These turboprops were incorporated into Convair 540's for Allegheny, but didn't last long as I understand.
Well, of course our friends on the other side of the Pontchartrain pond count!

And you are correct, sir!
Old Apr 11, 12, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9633v6U0wo

It was defeated by the excessive noise of the tip-jets (seemingly suppressed in the film). I never saw it, but remember as a kid it regularly appeared in British TV news clips and similar. The Fairey factory was a couple of miles to the north of Heathrow airport, and the Napier engine factory (for those who remember Allegheny's handful of CV540s) just a couple of miles further on, in Acton.
I would have loved to have seen this compound gyroplane demonstrated as I've been involved with commercial helicopter operations since 1986 and currently work for a company that flies over 300 rotorcraft domestically and internationally in support of offshore oil and gas activities worldwide - the Rotodyne was a fascinating aircraft that was demonstrated at both the Farnborough and Paris airshows. The aircraft could accommodate up to 40 passengers and made 350 demonstration flights transporting about a thousand people during this demo activity with no accidents or incidents.

British European Airways (BEA), Japan Air Lines (JAL) and New York Airways, a helicopter airline operator, all exhibited interest in the Rotodyne, as did the Royal Air Force and the U.S. Army.

However, the Rotodyne never made it to the serial production phase and the program was cancelled. As WHBM states, there were concerns about the very high level of noise produced by the tip jets, especially during takeoffs and landings when the Rotodyne was flying in VTOL mode. In fact, Mr. John Farley, chief test pilot of the Hawker Siddeley Harrier "jumpjet" fighter, made the following comments concerning the Rotodyne:

"From two miles away it would stop a conversation. I mean, the noise of those little jets on the tips of the rotor (blades) was just indescribable. So what have we got? The noisiest hovering vehicle the world has yet come up with and you're going to stick it in the middle of a city?"

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 11, 12 at 3:09 pm
Old Apr 11, 12, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
For US carriers, Hawaiin got their first DC9-50 in September 75, and Allegheny in October 75. I think the first Eastern aircraft didn't come until about two years later, in mid-77, although they later picked up many of the early aircraft secondhand.
The DC-9-50s were gone by the time I was hired by US in 1989, but we had a few -30s that came in trade from EA from those. They had a wider 1R door than the rest of the fleet.
Old Apr 12, 12, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
And Seat 2A, please know we are eagerly awaiting your next set of questions!
Ask and ye shall receive...

1.) Southwest Airlines is well known for serving nothing but peanuts and drinks to its passengers. They were not however the airline that introduced low cost “Peanuts Fares” in the 1970s. Which airline was that?

2.) Its May 1983 timetable indicated that this airline offered DC-9-10 jet service to BUF, DTW, BDL, PHL, GSO, RDU and ROC. The airline did not operate props. What airline was it?

3.) What airline once operated Boeing 720 service between Seattle’s Boeing Field and Spokane, WA?

4.) What airline billed itself as the "Route of the Aristocrats"?

5.) Which U.S. airline was the launch customer for the Lockheed Electra?

6.) What kind of bird was represented on the tails of Ozark Airlines aircraft?

7.) What was the first U.S. airline to charge a fee for each checked bag? ($3.00 per bag)

8.) Frontier, Ozark and Bonanza each ordered this aircraft, but the Civil Aeronautics Board refused Bonanza a loan guarantee for their purchase while the other two airlines were threatened with the withdrawal of their local service route subsidies if they purchased the aircraft. What was the aircraft?

9.) What U.S. airline once used a Boeing 707 solely for intrastate services? In What state?

10.) Everyone knows that Howard Hughes once owned Hughes Airwest and TWA. What other major U.S. airline did he own?

11.) This airline was awarded the Miami-Los Angeles route on October 1, 1969. It flew it with 727-100s. What airline was it?

12.) What was the name of the other airline that operated transcon services with a 727-100?

13.) What airline was the launch customer for the BAC-1-11?

14.) In the March 1968 OAG, Butte, Montana is served by two airlines operating the same type of aircraft. It was the only type of aircraft you could fly into or out of BTM at the time. (Lucky dogs!) What were the airlines and the aircraft?

15.) On February 11, 1958, Ruth Carol Taylor was hired by Mohawk Airlines. Why was this noteworthy?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 12, 12 at 3:24 pm
Old Apr 12, 12, 3:33 pm

OK, here we go....and hopefully not right off the runway and over a cliff....

1.) Texas International (I saw these "Peanut Fares" advertised at the old airport in AUS back when Jimmy Carter was President)

3.) Northwest?

4.) Southern (note: I recently asked this question as well....)

8.) BAC One-Eleven?

11.) Northeast

13.) Braniff International

14.) Northwest and Western, both with the Lockheed L-188 "Electra" (BTW, the last time I flew out of Butte, it was on board a Delta B727-200 in F on a routing of BTM-BZN-SLC. And shortly after that, mainline jet service to BTM was apparently cancelled forever......)

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 12, 12 at 4:28 pm Reason: Additional answer & information

Search this Thread
Search Engine: