Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Feb 13, 16, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
23. Boeing’s new 747 has been in service for less than a year. As we enter the high season for Caribbean tourism, there are three destinations that are scheduled to receive nonstop 747 service from New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport. Identify each of these destinations and the airline that will be serving them with the 747.
HINT: Each of the three destinations were administered by different governments.
HINT: One airline was U.S. based, one was foreign.

I'm kinda surprised that NOBODY even took a run at this, so here goes:

San Juan (SJU) - Eastern
Correct destination, wrong airline
Santo Domingo (SDQ) - American Incorrect
Fort de France (FDF) - Air France Incorrect! It was Pointe A Pitre, Guadeloupe (PTP)

As you know, Eastern leased its first 747s from Pan Am (its original order of four went to TWA as -131s), with the first being accepted on November 26, 1970 - later than the OAG from which I sourced these questions. American did operate its 747 to Santo Domingo but not early on. Indeed, SDQ was not one of the early 747 destinations.

Originally Posted by Indelaware
The airports are pretty obvious, but the equipment isn't. It is likely that various equipment showed up on the routes in over the late 1970s, but I take a stab at:

MSP DC-10
ORD DC-10
JFK 747

They also, for a time in the late 1970s, operated ANC-SEA. Likely with DC-10s & 727s.

Hmmmmmm ... credit where it's due ... Indelaware actually got the cities right a while back

Apologies to Indelaware. He did get ORD and JFK correct. I reckon my standards for correct answers are a bit higher early on. Once we're at a point where I'm looking to close out questions and/or have put out 1-2 obvious clues, I tend to be a lot more forgiving.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 14, 16 at 9:51 am
Old Feb 13, 16, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
By now it’s a well-known fact that quite a few people follow but don’t necessarily participate in the OTAQ&D. As of thirty seconds ago when I last checked, we had 454,815 456,399 456,890 457,716 458,918 459,855 460,905 463,285 465,386 - many many many times more than any other thread in the Travel Buzz forum. It’s always a good day when someone new decides to take the plunge and have a go at our quiz with an answer or two. Welcome aboard! You'll note I've left the old amounts in using smaller colored print. Since I first posted these questions on January 29th, the OTAQ&D has had over 10000 views. Check back here for updates on the total views - I'll continue to post them as long as questions remain unanswered.

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS THE LATTER HALF OF 1970

9. A total of five airlines offered nonstop flights between Jamaica and Miami – two from Kingston and three from Montego Bay. No single airline served both KIN and MBJ nonstop from Miami. Identify the airlines providing nonstop service in each market.
PARTIALLY ANSWERED All we're looking for now is a Caribbean based airline operating MBJ-MIA. See #8368 below.
HINT: All but one of the airlines are Caribbean based. The U.S. based airline flies the MBJ-MIA route.
HINT: One of the airlines was involved in a major aircraft swap with a U.S. airline...
HINT: The last airline we're looking for was based in Puerto Rico...

10. Identify three states that had a total of 10 or less jet flights operated into or out of the state each day.
PARTIALLY ANSWEREDDelaware and Wyoming have been correctly identified. We're looking for just one more state.
HINT: The last state we're looking for is in New England. It was one of the thirteen original colonies, and was the first to declare its independence from Mother England

23. Boeing’s new 747 has been in service for less than a year. As we enter the high season for Caribbean tourism, there are three destinations that are scheduled to receive nonstop 747 service from New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport. Identify each of these destinations and the airline that will be serving them with the 747.
PARTIALLY ANSWERED Air France to Fort de France (FDF) and Pan Am to San Juan (SJU) have been correctly identified. We're looking for just one more destination.
HINT: Each of the three destinations were administered by different governments.

GENERAL COMMERCIAL AVIATION RELATED QUESTIONS

38. What kind of airplane would you be flying upon if you were to visit the “Hawaiian Lounge” inflight?
HINT: A stairway was required to access this lounge.
HINT: It wasn't a 747.
HINT: Passengers really enjoyed the view out those square windows!.
A N S W E R E D

THE ORIGINAL LISTING OF ALL 45 QUESTIONS CAN BE FOUND HERE

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 13, 16 at 9:49 pm
Old Feb 13, 16, 12:25 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post

23. Air France has been identified with service to FDF so let's go with Pan Am to San Juan, PR (SJU).

Now what about that third destination?

Well, I was tempted to guess Nassau (NAS); however, technically speaking, I believe the Bahamas are not located in the Caribbean.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 13, 16 at 12:37 pm Reason: amended answer as SDQ has been ruled out
Old Feb 13, 16, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
PARTIALLY ANSWEREDAir France to Fort de France (FDF) has been correctly identified. We're looking for just two more destinations and the one airline that served both of them.

Air France has been identified with service to FDF so let's go with Pan Am to San Juan, PR (SJU).

Now what about that third destination? Well, I was tempted to guess Nassau (NAS); however, technically speaking, I believe the Bahamas are not located in the Caribbean

I apologize for confusing FDF with PTP on the sole Air France flight. That flight departed JFK each Saturday for Pointe A Pitre, Guadeloupe (PTP). Pan Am did indeed fly its 747s on the JFK-SJU route with three daily 747 flights scheduled.

Alas, in late 1970 Nassau only rated narrow bodied equipment (a pair of daily 707 departures), so we're still looking for that one final Caribbean destination which Pan Am served with a single daily 747 flight.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 14, 16 at 9:53 am
Old Feb 13, 16, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
10- Rhode Island, and I'll again posit Wyoming
23- I don't believe PA served the Antilles, so herewith a guess of Port au Prince (PAP)
Old Feb 13, 16, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

10. Identify three states that had a total of 10 or less jet flights operated into or out of the state each day.
PARTIALLY ANSWEREDDelaware has been correctly identified. We're looking for just two more states.
HINT: One state is east of the Mississippi while the other is west of it
HINT: One of these states was one of the thirteen original colonies, and was the first to declare its independence from Mother England
HINT: The other state is one of two rectangular states in the U.S.

Rhode Island, and I'll again posit Wyoming

Wyoming and Colorado are the only two rectangular states, and DEN definitely had more than 10 jets per day. So yes to Wyoming! However, Rhode Island is not correct. Providence had lots of jet flights from the likes of American, Allegheny, Mohawk, United, National and Eastern. Also, the web site I referenced for the second hint sez it's another state.

PARTIALLY ANSWERED Air France to Fort de France (FDF) and Pan Am to San Juan (SJU) have been correctly identified. We're looking for just one more destination.

I don't believe PA served the Antilles, so herewith a guess of Port au Prince (PAP)

Alas, it is not Port Au Prince, nor is it on the island of Dominica. Look to the west and maybe a tad south...
Old Feb 13, 16, 6:19 pm

Programs: BA
38. What kind of airplane would you be flying upon if you were to visit the “Hawaiian Lounge” inflight?
Well this has to be Northwest. I wasn't aware of the lounge name, but my logic is this :

The only type other than the Boeing 747 which had a stairway to a lounge and the capability to reach Hawaii was the Boeing 377 Stratocruiser (there were a few odd others with lower deck lounges, like the PSA Tristars, but they didn't get to Hawaii).

The B377 had various combinations of circular and square windows on the main and the lower (with lounge reached by the stairway) decks. The only two orders which had square windows on the lower deck were American Overseas (Transatlantic only, never served Hawaii, had circular windows on the main deck but square on the lower) and Northwest (square on both decks).

Pan Am and United also served Hawaii with the Stratocruiser, but Pan Am's had circular windows on both decks, and United had square on the main and circular on the lower.

Northwest were running Seattle-Portland-Hawaii in the 1950s. They were one of the last users of Stratocruisers, and believe it or not one survived in (faded) original Northwes) livery into the 1980s at Tucson, having sat unused for some 25 years.
Old Feb 13, 16, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM View Post

Well this has to be Northwest. I wasn't aware of the lounge name, but my logic is this :

The only type other than the Boeing 747 which had a stairway to a lounge and the capability to reach Hawaii was the Boeing 377 Stratocruiser (there were a few odd others with lower deck lounges, like the PSA Tristars, but they didn't get to Hawaii).

The B377 had various combinations of circular and square windows on the main and the lower (with lounge reached by the stairway) decks. The only two orders which had square windows on the lower deck were American Overseas (Transatlantic only, never served Hawaii, had circular windows on the main deck but square on the lower) and Northwest (square on both decks).

Pan Am and United also served Hawaii with the Stratocruiser, but Pan Am's had circular windows on both decks, and United had square on the main and circular on the lower.

Northwest were running Seattle-Portland-Hawaii in the 1950s. They were one of the last users of Stratocruisers, and believe it or not one survived in (faded) original Northwest) livery into the 1980s at Tucson, having sat unused for some 25 years.

WHBM, you've really brought out a chuckle from me in appreciation of the sheer depth of your knowledge. How ever do you know all of this stuff? But thank goodness that you do!

I must admit to an error in the information provided in that last hint regarding the square windows. Here's what happened. You'll recall the earlier question about the differences between Stratocruisers for NW and UA - #29. One of those differences - perhaps the most notable one - was that the Stratocruisers for NW and UA had square windows. Short of the research that revealed that particular point, my own personal knowledge of these things is of course strictly pedestrian - if that - and so I made the assumption that upstairs or downstairs on either airline's Strats, the windows would be square. That assumption resulted in the erroneous hint. I do apologize.

The Hawaiian Lounge would be found aboard United's Stratocruisers. Here's a description from a United Stratocruiser brochure:
Attached Images  
Old Feb 14, 16, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Good Morning! I had some unannounced but most welcome company last night and so we'll close out these last three questions this morning. Thanks to everyone for your participation! And patience!

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING TWO QUESTIONS IS THE LATTER HALF OF 1970

9. A total of five airlines offered nonstop flights between Jamaica and Miami – two from Kingston and three from Montego Bay. No single airline served both KIN and MBJ nonstop from Miami. Identify the airlines providing nonstop service in each market.
PARTIALLY ANSWERED All we're looking for now is a Caribbean based airline operating MBJ-MIA. See #8368 below.
HINT: All but one of the airlines are Caribbean based. The U.S. based airline flies the MBJ-MIA route.
HINT: One of the airlines was involved in a major aircraft swap with a U.S. airline... (BWIA swapped its 727s to Braniff for its 707s)
HINT: The last airline we're looking for was based in Puerto Rico...

The final airline we're looking for is Caribair. Here's the line-up:

MBJ-MIA Pan American Boeing 707 (2 Daily flights, one operating 1-6-7)
MBJ-MIA Air Jamaica McDonnell Douglas DC-9-30 (2 daily flights)
MBJ-MIA Caribair DC-9-30 (One daily flight)

KIN-MIA BWIA Boeing 727-100 (1 flight operating 1-4-6)
KIN-MIA ALM McDonnell Douglas DC-9-30 (1 flight operating 2-3-5-6-7)

PARTIALLY ANSWEREDDelaware and Wyoming have been correctly identified. We're looking for just one more state.
HINT: The last state we're looking for is in New England. It was one of the thirteen original colonies, and was the first to declare its independence from Mother England

The last state we're looking for is New Hampshire which was served by Northeast Airlines with a pair of DC-9-30s routing through Manchester. Delaware and Wyoming are the other two.

PARTIALLY ANSWERED Air France to to Pointe a Pitre (PTP) and Pan Am to San Juan (SJU) have been correctly identified. We're looking for just one more destination.

San Juan (SJU) has been correctly identified. The other flights involved a Pan Am 747 from JFK to Montego Bay and an Air France 747 to Pointe a Pitre (PTP). Apologies to jrl767 re. confusing Fort de France with PTP.

JFK-PTP AF 011 3:30p - 8:00p 747 Saturday only

JFK-MBJ PA 221 9:00a - 12:40p 747 Daily

JFK-SJU PA 271 7:30a - 12:00n 747 Daily
JFK-SJU PA 293 1:00p - 5:30p 747 Daily
JFK-SJU PA 299 11:30p - 4:00p 747 Daily

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 14, 16 at 9:54 am
Old Feb 14, 16, 10:22 am
Original Poster

This new batch of questions focuses on schedules from the 1980s.

Over the course of our last batch of questions, the OTAQ&D thread had over 10000 hits. The interest is certainly out there. Thanks again to all of our core participants and welcome aboard to any and all who care to step in and attempt an answer or two.

While our core participants are all familiar with this by now, I would like to reiterate that we please limit our responses to no more than two or three questions at a time so that any and all – be they first time participants or regulars - might have an equal opportunity to participate.

BTW, though rare - mistakes occasionally happen. Please feel free to speak up. If, for example, I've said there are eight Canadian cities receiving nonstop flights from London and you think there are nine, I'm happy to check my schedules for you, up to and including transcribing or photographing those schedules. Keep in mind that I am limited to the schedules I have available. For example, an autumn schedule I'm referencing may not reflect a flight operated on a seasonal winter schedule.

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING 35 QUESTIONS IS 1987

46. You are enjoying the sand and surf in sunny Nassau when the boss calls and says he needs you to fly up to cloudy Akron, Ohio A.S.A.P. Turning to your trusty pocket flight guide, you’re surprised and delighted to discover that a single two stop direct flight is offered in this market. Identify the airline, the aircraft utilized and the two enroute stops you’ll make along the way

47. During the latter half of 1987 only one airline was operating scheduled nonstop flights between Canada and San Juan, Puerto Rico. Flights operated twice weekly from a single Canadian city, but with a different aircraft type each day. Identify the airline, the Canadian city it departed from and the two different aircraft types operated on the route.

48. Following yet another hectic commute into the city on the Long Island Expressway, you’re pleasantly surprised when you find a message on your answering machine from an old business associate asking if you can join her for a weekend of sunshine and golf at the exclusive Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia. A quick call to your travel agent reveals a thrice weekly jet flight from JFK into the nearby airport at Greenbrier (LWB). Identify the airline and the aircraft used on this flight.

49. If you wanted to fly out of Bakersfield, California aboard a McDonnell-Douglas DC-9-10, only one airline fits the bill with a single daily flight. Identify that airline and the city you’d be flying to.

50. Passengers flying between Miami and Key West, Florida in 1987 have an enviable choice of flights. Two airlines offer jet flights while another offers piston powered propeller driven flights. Identify each airline and its respective aircraft operated.

51. Five airlines operate mainline jet service between Long Island’s MacArthur Airport (ISP) and the three Washington DC area airports. Three airlines serve Washington Dulles (IAD), one serves Washington National (DCA) and one serves Baltimore (BWI). Identify each airline and the airport it serves.

52. You’ve just won a porcupine grooming contest in Fredericksburg, Virginia! Awright!! Your prize: a pair of new gloves and a long weekend at the Hilton Rose Hall in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Unfortunately your prize doesn’t include airfare from your home in Alexandria, Virginia to Jamaica. Well, dang! Further complicating your travel plans is that your wife refuses to fly on Air Jamaica. It’s a long story… Imagine then your surprise and delight upon discovering an airline that flies nonstop between Washington Dulles and Montego Bay twice weekly on Thursdays and Sundays. The southbound flight on Thursday is operated in an all economy configuration while the northbound flight on Sunday uses a different aircraft type and offers both First Class and Coach. Identify the airline and the respective aircraft it employs on each flight.

53. It used to be that you could fly DC-9s from West Coast Airlines and later Hughes Airwest into the little airport serving Redmond/Bend, Oregon. In the first half of 1987 only one airline offered jet flights into Redmond. Identify that airline and the single aircraft type it flew into RDM.
A N S W E R E D

54. At present the Seattle to Portland route is served by Alaska/Horizon, Delta and United. Turboprops handle 80% of the flights. Back in 1987 there were 13 airlines operating mainline jet equipment on this 129 mile route. How many of them can you identify?
PARTIALLY ANSWERED All but four have been identified. See post #8394

55. Fresh off a snowy week of work in Edmonton, Alberta, you’ve been informed that your next assignment lies south of the border – two borders, in fact – way down yonder in sunny Monterrey, Mexico. Fully expecting a convoluted itinerary involving multiple connections, you’re flabbergasted when your travel department informs you that there’s a direct flight making three enroute stops from Edmonton all the way down to Monterrey. Additionally there’s a change of equipment at the first stop, from a smaller aircraft to a larger one. Identify the airline, the enroute stops and the two aircraft to be flown along the way.

56. For a time in 1987, this airline operated the only direct, one stop service between Palm Springs, CA and Vancouver, BC. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.

57. In 1987 there were three cities in the state of Nevada that benefitted from scheduled jet flights. Identify the three cities and the single airline that served all three of them.

58. Only one airline offered a flight into Belfast, Northern Ireland aboard a 727-200. What airline was it?

59. Back in 1969, Darwin, Australia was well served from Sydney with five nonstop flights per week, all of them operated with 707s from either BOAC or Qantas. In late 1987, passengers desiring to fly between SYD and DRW had a choice of two flights per week operated by a single airline. Identify the airline and the aircraft used.
HINT: It wasn't Qantas

60. When it comes to travel from England, Canada is well served with eight cities receiving nonstop flights from London. Identify each Canadian city and the airline(s) providing nonstop service to it from London.

61. A thorough perusal of the OAG has revealed six airlines that operated L-1011-500s into London in 1987. How many can you identify?

62. The only nonstop service between Gran Canaria in the Canary Islands and London Gatwick is via a single weekly 767 flight. Identify the airline.

63. Three airlines each operate a single daily flight between Boston and London. Each flight is operated with a different widebodied jetliner, each built by a different manufacturer. Identify each airline and the respective widebody it flew.

64. There were three trans-Atlantic routes between the U.S. and London that were flown with 767s. Identify the routes and the airline(s) that flew them.

65. This airline operates more 727-200s into London Heathrow than any other.

66. Identify the four airlines that operated nonstop 747 flights between Miami and London

67. All but two of the multitude of flights being operated between New York JFK/EWR and London by nine different airlines are operated with 747s. Identify the other two aircraft types you’ll find on this route and which airline(s) operated them.

68. Baghdad was a veritable hotbed of activity for fans of Boeing 707s. I have found seven airlines that operated scheduled 707 flights into Baghdad as of late 1987. Can you identify them?

69. Cold war era legal restrictions meant that no German airlines provided scheduled service on domestic flights between West Berlin and the rest of Germany’s cities. Not including Templehof Airways USA (CL) and Berlin Regional U.K. (WZ), both of which operated small commuter aircraft on some domestic routes into TXL, identify the four non-German airlines that operated larger aircraft on these domestic flights.

70. You’ve just spent a week in Hawaii. It’s been fun but, with a week left in your vacation you’d like to go somewhere a bit less touristy. But only a bit. How about Tahiti? Consulting your trusty OAG, you discover not one, not two but THREE airlines that offer nonstop service between Honolulu and Papeete. Identify each airline and the respective aircraft it operated on this route.

71. Garuda Indonesian Airlines operated a twice weekly flight from Jakarta to Los Angeles. Two stops were made enroute. Identify the two stops and the aircraft used.

72. A thorough perusal of the OAG reveals nonstop service into Honolulu from fifteen different airports located on islands. Yes – this question has been asked before, but covering a different time period and, as the saying goes, times have changed. Can you identify the fifteen airports?

73. Egyptair operated a one stop flight twice a week between Cairo and New York JFK. Where was the enroute stop made and what type of aircraft was used?

74. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Africa to New York aboard a 747SP, you’d have to book a seat aboard this airline. Identify the airline and the African city you’d depart from.
A N S W E R E D

75. This airline operated an L-1011 every day except Tuesday and Thursday between Brussels and New York JFK. Which airline is it?

76. Identify the two U.S. airlines that flew between New York JFK and Oslo GEN (Gardermoen)

77. A planned ski vacation in the Catskills is rudely interrupted when you receive a call on Friday afternoon informing you that your services are required in Monrovia, Liberia. As soon as possible, please. Right. A quick call to your company travel department reveals a First Class seat is available aboard this airline’s once weekly nonstop service, departing JFK on Saturday afternoon. Identify the airline and the equipment used.

78. Nine airlines offer nonstop service between New York and London. Identify the six which fly into Heathrow and the three which fly into Gatwick.

79. You’ve got business in Birmingham (BHX). Resigned to making a connection in either Heathrow or Gatwick, you’re surprised to find that there’s a once weekly direct (one-stop) flight departing New York’s Newark Airport every Friday evening. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the aircraft and the intermediate stop.

80. Three South American airlines fly DC-8-61/71s or DC-8-63/73s into Miami. Identify each airline and which South American airport each flies into Miami from.

81. If you were to fly into Orlando on a DC-8-61/63 operated by a foreign carrier, which airline would you be flying on and from which foreign airport would your flight have originated?

82. Per the 1987 schedule I reference for these questions, one airline operated three different types of widebody jets - each built by a different manufacturer - into Montego Bay, Jamaica. Identify that airline and the three types it operated into MBJ.

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1983

83. This question’s been asked a lot over the years. Has it been asked relative to 1983 though? Identify each of the eight airlines offering nonstop service between Los Angeles and Honolulu.
A N S W E R E D

84. Summer’s here and now that most of the seasonal flights down to Florida have been discontinued, Long Island’s MacArthur Airport (ISP) is left with only two airlines that serve it with mainline jets. Identify these two airlines as well as the largest and smallest jet types operating out of ISP.
A N S W E R E D

85. In terms of length, what was the smallest jet serving the San Francisco to Honolulu route in mid-1983?
A N S W E R E D

86. Laredo, Texas enjoyed twice daily (except Saturday) jet service with nonstop flights from this single city. Identify the city, the airline and the aircraft operating these flights.

87. White Plains, New York is a fairly busy airport these days, with nonstop jet flights to a variety of destinations. Back in the summer of 1983 however, it’s only jet service came via three flights down to Washington’s National Airport. Identify the airline and the aircraft type operating these flights.
A N S W E R E D

88. You are in Fairbanks, Alaska and need to fly across the border to Whitehorse in Canada’s Yukon Territory. Four years earlier, yours truly flew this route aboard a Wien 737-200. How times have changed! These days a different airline offers a single daily nonstop between FAI and YXY. Identify the airline and the aircraft used.

89. Seven airlines provide jet flights into Toledo, Ohio but only one offers nonstop jet service to the world’s busiest airport in Chicago, Illinois with two almost daily (X6) departures. Identify the airline and the aircraft used.
A N S W E R E D

90. The state of North Dakota has three international gateway airports with nonstop flights to Canada. Identify each city, the Canadian city it has flights to and the airline serving that route.
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 15, 16 at 9:33 pm
Old Feb 14, 16, 10:27 am

Programs: BA
In response to a PM that a Tristar would be perfectly capable of reaching Hawaii, I believe the PSA ones were not fitted with full life rafts, HF radio, or other oceanic equipment, and thus by FAA regulation could not be used on such flights. From the West Coast to Hawaii is the longest over-ocean distance in the world where there is no alternate; I believe that the first Hawaiian Airlines Convairs in the late 1940s were ferried out via Europe as Convair had not done a sufficient ferry tank design at this stage - the TAA Convair 240s in Australia all ferried from San Diego to Sydney via London.
Old Feb 14, 16, 10:59 am
Original Poster

In response to a PM that a Tristar would be perfectly capable of reaching Hawaii, I believe the PSA ones were not fitted with full life rafts, HF radio, or other oceanic equipment, and thus by FAA regulation could not be used on such flights. From the West Coast to Hawaii is the longest over-ocean distance in the world where there is no alternate; I believe that the first Hawaiian Airlines Convairs in the late 1940s were ferried out via Europe as Convair had not done a sufficient ferry tank design at this stage - the TAA Convair 240s in Australia all ferried from San Diego to Sydney via London.
Do you happen to know of the routing those Convairs used across the Pacific from Asia? I'm guessing it would have been along the future Air Micronesia routes. Now that I think of it - is there any other way? Possibly through Christmas Island (Kiribati)?
Old Feb 14, 16, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
86. White Plains, New York is a fairly busy airport these days, with nonstop jet flights to a variety of destinations. Back in the summer of 1983 however, it’s only jet service came via three flights down to Washington’s National Airport. Identify the airline and the aircraft type operating these flights.
this was certainly US Air, almost certainly with a BAC 1-11 (and if not, their ubiquitous DC9-30)
Old Feb 14, 16, 11:33 am
Original Poster

86. White Plains, New York is a fairly busy airport these days, with nonstop jet flights to a variety of destinations. Back in the summer of 1983 however, it’s only jet service came via three flights down to Washington’s National Airport. Identify the airline and the aircraft type operating these flights.

This was certainly US Air, almost certainly with a BAC 1-11 (and if not, their ubiquitous DC9-30)

Ha! It most certainly was not! In fact, in a recent review of the OAG used to reference these schedules, I was surprised to find that US Air didn't even serve White Plains (HPN) back then. Please - have another cup of coffee and try again!
Old Feb 14, 16, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

coffee --- um, yeah, I obviously read "White Plains" as "Long Island MacArthur"

because I still had this one on the brain ...
83. Summer’s here and now that most of the seasonal flights down to Florida have been discontinued, Long Island’s MacArthur Airport (ISP) is left with only two airlines that serve it with mainline jets. Identify these two airlines as well as the largest and smallest jet types operating out of ISP.
US Air was one of the airlines, the One-Eleven at 69 seats on the DCA route was probably the smallest mainline jet; the airline at ISP with the largest jet might have been AA with an MD-80 operating to ORD

Last edited by jrl767; Feb 14, 16 at 11:55 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: